Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Irish HL predictions P 1 AND 2 * (1 thread please!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emma123abc

I can have a sheet ready to be emailed in about 15 minutes if ye can wait that long :p

That would be fantastic!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hairybacon

Say if I wrote a completely basic essay, simple irish (only past, present and future tenses), no mistakes, and on topic, what sort of a grade would I get out of 100?

(If only I could do that):(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

emma123abc wrote: »
    Ok, i'm not that bad! haha, i just have to whisper it to myself while i'm sitting on my bed:p bit weird, but it works for me!

But, the image of you walking around, reciting irish aistes like poetry has given me a good laugh, so thank you Starscream25 !

:D

i know, im a disturbed human being, anyway, good luck with the exam emma123abc.keep an eye out for me on the news tomorow

hairybacon wrote: »
    Say if I wrote a completely basic essay, simple irish (only past, present and future tenses), no mistakes, and on topic, what sort of a grade would I get out of 100?

(If only I could do that):(

Provided it was relevant to the question, and not just a complete ramble, you'd get most of the marks, just not the full one hundred if your vocab isnt broad enough... i think anyways:)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

im the exact same. anyway good luck with the exam hunii07, if you cant take the pressure, just run out of the building

Thanks Starscream25, good luck to you too...haha best way to handle pressure if you ask me :L :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

What's the seanfocal for "health is better than wealth"?

i know, im a disturbed human being, anyway, good luck with the exam emma123abc.keep an eye out for me on the news tomorow

Same to you:) It better be frontpage news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hairybacon

Sure that would do me grand- this will be my essay format no matter what the title:D

-Everything's so terrible...
    -Where it all went wrong
    -Is there a way out???
    -How how how
    -It's not too late

job;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anfieldrd

Being trying to study An triail for the last hour or two, finding it very hard to actually learn anything? What exactly are people learning? Any one have a quick link to notes on characters or anything, mine simply aint working? Any help greatly appreciated :)

GSI wrote: »

Is fearr an tsláinte ná na táinte

Táinte is herds literally, but in the seanfhocal means wealth:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Balletskank

GSI wrote: »

Is fearr an slainte na na tainte

Fada on the a in slainte, the first na and tainte. Sorry Im using safari so the ctrl alt doesnt put fadas in!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

anfieldrd wrote: »
    Being trying to study An triail for the last hour or two, finding it very hard to actually learn anything? What exactly are people learning? Any one have a quick link to notes on characters or anything, mine simply aint working? Any help greatly appreciated :)
    I have some good notes on characters. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Any one able to give me a hard tape test to do from the exam papers? smile.gif
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mel_!

For paper 1 my teacher has tipped todhchaí na gaelige,, and coiriúlacht,, I know very very little on the economy and politics :(,, should i try and learn something or is to late?

for paper 2 is anyone else doing a thig na tit orm? and if so what are you learning?,, i feel sick anytime i think of irish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Mel_! wrote: »
    For paper 1 my teacher has tipped todhchaí na gaelige,, and coiriúlacht,, I know very very little on the economy and politics :(,, should i try and learn something or is to late?

for paper 2 is anyone else doing a thig na tit orm? and if so what are you learning?,, i feel sick anytime i think of irish :(

For a thig na thit orm all I'm just covering 4 essays on the main topics. Youth, schooling, england, america. But I probably won't look at America much seeing as it was up last year. Once you have the general essays you can make up the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Mel_! wrote: »
    For paper 1 my teacher has tipped todhchaí na gaelige,, and coiriúlacht,, I know very very little on the economy and politics ,, should i try and learn something or is to late?
    Should I be worried if I had no idea what either of these meant?

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Should I be worried if I had no idea what either of these meant?

I didn't either but I looked it up its the future of Irish and the second one is crime

hunii07 wrote: »
    I didn't either but I looked it up its the future of Irish and the second one is crime
    Yeah, but I won't be able to look them up tomorrow afternoon! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Do we have to mention the names of the poets/authors in our answers? If so, learning them will be a massive pain.

Also, what an Triail question are we expecting? I could talk about the story in general (breaking rules and that ****e!), the mother and Pádraig. What else should I look at?

Here are some daycent notes on it. http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_sc.asp?id=691

Yeah, but I won't be able to look them up tomorrow afternoon! :P

haha that is very true... God I didn't realise how unprepareed I am...I'm repeating you'd think I'd be more prepared....

• Advertisement

fionnsci wrote: »
    Do we have to mention the names of the poets/authors in our answers?
    Don't think so, if you know it, mention it, if not, just leave it out. Some of them are awful in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Re: predictions: I would definetly look at Óiche Nollaig na mBan: The dept. love Seán Ó Riordáin and it is a poem that could come up every year, asked in loads of different ways. so much scope and not been up since 2008. An t-Oiléan is a nice safe one too, easy to quickly revise as an option. And An Mhathair, is a nice one too. Watch out for tréithe na Fiannaíochta throughout, íomhánna, agus codarsnacht.

Lig sin i gCathú will more than likely feature look out for characters and themes, does martin protray the likely student etc.

Lá Buí Bealtaine/Clare sa spéir has never been up in the section B..maybe be interesting to look at that section

An Bhean óg: nice and easy. Universal theme of lonliness etc..

Jack/Gealt/Bimse Buan. Possibly having to answer Bimse buan or Jack.

Stair: make sure you do Ruraíocht AND Fiannaíocht! don't take the risk and look at Canúintí/ Gaeilge sna Meáin Chum/ Ogham+Gluaiseanna/ Gae. Mar theanga Cheilteach and Aisling pol (seeming Uirchill prob wont appear)

Aistí: Bad state of the country, politicians, importance of technology nowadays like facebook/twitter etc (maybe evn in the reading comps) or the educational system hasnt been up in years, and with the debate about Irish not being a Compulsory subject it could feature in that section.

Don't think so, if you know it, mention it, if not, just leave it out. Some of them are awful in fairness.

there are marks going for mentioning the Poets names within your answers so yes you do have to mention them. I dont have a marking scheme on me right now but I am 90% sure it is the same for the Prós ainmnithe. This is the reason the Poets name is not given on the paper.

there are marks going for mentioning the Poets names within your answers so yes you do have to mention them. I dont have a marking scheme on me right now but I am 90% sure it is the same for the Prós ainmnithe. This is the reason the Poets name is not given on the paper.
    Ooh, didn't know that. Thanks!

Re: predictions: I would definetly look at Óiche Nollaig na mBan: The dept. love Seán Ó Riordáin and it is a poem that could come up every year, asked in loads of different ways. so much scope and not been up since 2008. An t-Oiléan is a nice safe one too, easy to quickly revise as an option. And An Mhathair, is a nice one too. Watch out for tréithe na Fiannaíochta throughout, íomhánna, agus codarsnacht.

Lig sin i gCathú will more than likely feature look out for characters and themes, does martin protray the likely student etc.

Lá Buí Bealtaine/Clare sa spéir has never been up in the section B..maybe be interesting to look at that section

An Bhean óg: nice and easy. Universal theme of lonliness etc..

Jack/Gealt/Bimse Buan. Possibly having to answer Bimse buan or Jack.

Stair: make sure you do Ruraíocht AND Fiannaíocht! don't take the risk and look at Canúintí/ Gaeilge sna Meáin Chum/ Ogham+Gluaiseanna/ Gae. Mar theanga Cheilteach and Aisling pol (seeming Uirchill prob wont appear)

Aistí: Bad state of the country, politicians, importance of technology nowadays like facebook/twitter etc (maybe evn in the reading comps) or the educational system hasnt been up in years, and with the debate about Irish not being a Compulsory subject it could feature in that section.

So for Stair I've done Ruraíocht and Fiannaíocht and Ogham and Some writers ,., do you think that's enough ?

So for Stair I've done Ruraíocht and Fiannaíocht and Ogham and Some writers ,., do you think that's enough ?

Well it used to always be the way ruraíocht one year and fiannaíocht the next and then they messed that up from 2008 on and neither came up last year so go for the both! ogham wouldnt come up on it's own it usually is in a list of 3/4 and your asked to write on two of the following, so Gluaiseanna would be a good one to throw with it. I personally steer away from the writers but if you are doing them make sure you have the right years and right poems and stories and relevant details.. have a look back over to see which ones are most regular at coming up. Its the last ever year of Stair, they Shouldn't be too hard. Gaeilge mar theanga Cheilteach hasn't been up in a while i think when i was looking back over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

If you get a topic for an essay which you dont understand, yet write a perfectly good grammer essay, do you still get 80percent!? or like if it is slightly releated to it..like just say you get an essay on the health system or sport yet you somehow link it to the recession in the first paragraph and then write a full essay on the problems of the country?? I am terrible at Irish :(
    Also, can you write the debate as an aiste and vice versa?

Well it used to always be the way ruraíocht one year and fiannaíocht the next and then they messed that up from 2008 on and neither came up last year so go for the both! ogham wouldnt come up on it's own it usually is in a list of 3/4 and your asked to write on two of the following, so Gluaiseanna would be a good one to throw with it. I personally steer away from the writers but if you are doing them make sure you have the right years and right poems and stories and relevant details.. have a look back over to see which ones are most regular at coming up. Its the last ever year of Stair, they Shouldn't be too hard. Gaeilge mar theanga Cheilteach hasn't been up in a while i think when i was looking back over

Is Gluaiseanna difficult or long? My teacher never mentioned it she just done ogham on its own :/

If you get a topic for an essay which you dont understand, yet write a perfectly good grammer essay, do you still get 80percent!? or like if it is slightly releated to it..like just say you get an essay on the health system or sport yet you somehow link it to the recession in the first paragraph and then write a full essay on the problems of the country?? I am terrible at Irish :(
    Also, can you write the debate as an aiste and vice versa?

No, you can't just write any single topic for the essay and attempt to get 80/100 marks because if that was the case everybody would just learn one essay off and be delighted with that. the 80/100 is based really on whether the essay makes sense. Without that it gets 'Gan chiall' and 0 unfortunely. But once you are on the right track topic wise you can bring in things you know. The health system and sport could be linked to recession easily because no money to spend on updating hospitals, health is disimproving rapidly etc.. sport: not enough money being pumped into facilities for the training of it. and you could link that back to health saying if it was promoted more then society may be more healthy etc.

And the debate is essentially the aiste except you have to have the opening and closing if its the debate, but the body of the debate is by and large an aiste.

• Advertisement

Is Gluaiseanna difficult or long? My teacher never mentioned it she just done ogham on its own :/

No, i didnt find it hard but that was just me and im fluent so different circumstances. Its also short and in the first section say of Stair. However, if its the difference of learning Gluaiseanna for the first time and revising over a story or a poem that has a high shot of coming up your best off to go with revision over something new.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement