Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Battery: Yes

GPS: Not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    Battery: Yes

GPS: Not yet.
    what for battery :)

mono_mac wrote: »
    what for battery :)
    Click the link...

Click the link...

cheers lol:D

if phone already unlocked jail broke will this do any harm

if phone already unlocked jail broke will this do any harm
    If you follow the instructions to the letter, no.

cant follow what to do at all :( dont understand - sorry

cant follow what to do at all :( dont understand - sorry
    1. Add http://repo.bingner.com as a repo in Cydia
    2. Install "SAM" and "SAMPrefs"
    3. Go to Settings>SAM and press "Revert Lockdownd to Stock"
    4. On the same screen, press "De-Activate iPhone"
    5. Connect to iTunes

Note: If you don't follow the instructions exactly you may have to restore

tryin now- takin crazy time to download packages and release

• Advertisement

1. Add http://repo.bingner.com as a repo in Cydia
    2. Install "SAM" and "SAMPrefs"
    3. Go to Settings>SAM and press "Revert Lockdownd to Stock"
    4. On the same screen, press "De-Activate iPhone"
    5. Connect to iTunes

Note: If you don't follow the instructions exactly you may have to restore

did all this- workin fine prior- now says in itunes store sim not supported and insert carrier sim :(

did all this- workin fine prior- now says in itunes store sim not supported and insert carrier sim :(
    Try Reboot the phone and try again

connect to itunes after reboot or full process

connect to itunes after reboot or full process

no good should of left it as was :(

no good should of left it as was :(
    There's still hope :D

Go to Settings>SAM and where it says "Automatic", change that to one of the other options and select the new options that appear.

There's still hope :D

Go to Settings>SAM and where it says "Automatic", change that to one of the other options and select the new options that appear.

did it chose vodafone etc -no luck - cant use itunes now :(

• Advertisement

did it chose vodafone etc -no luck - cant use itunes now :(
    Try one of the other options.

If it still doesn't work, start the entire process again - you might get lucky :)

no luck :(

no luck :(
    Try this:

1. Run Redsn0w and deselct every checkbox except "Deactivate"
    2. Settings>SAM, press "De-Activate iPhone"
    3. Connect to iTunes

when i start red snow it asks for current corrosponding ipsw to my current firmware

when i start red snow it asks for current corrosponding ipsw to my current firmware
    If you haven't already got it downloaded, download it from here

• Advertisement

im 4.1 8b117 which one i choose- cos my baseband aint there

im 4.1 8b117 which one i choose- cos my baseband aint there
    Is that a genuine question?...

Choose the one that has 4.1_8b117 in its name...

Don't worry about the baseband for the minute

if i delete sam will things be back as they were- that would be good

if i delete sam will things be back as they were- that would be good

phew it does- il save battery by switchin of stuff till i need :) cheers for tryin :)

phew it does- il save battery by switchin of stuff till i need :) cheers for tryin :)
    No problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I updated my iphone 3g to baseband 6.15.00 with redsn0w the other day and found out today that the GpS is borked. Back to my little android phone until a fix comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Hello all,

I recently bought a macbook, very happy with it. Next in line was a new mp3 player, so i said why not kill two birds and get an iphone 4. Good phone and good mp3. Grand.

I am currently a prepaid meteor user, I have the opportunity to get an iphone4 through vodafone or 3. I have read most of this thread, but i am new to this operating system and my head spins when jailbroken etc is mentioned. I am anticipating some issues with regards unlocking this for meteor use.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation for me please.

Cheers in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

ya wont be able to unlock it at the moment and there is no sign of it anytime soon

guil wrote: »
    ya wont be able to unlock it at the moment and there is no sign of it anytime soon

I heard there was some sort of leeway with the o2 network? is that true?

I heard there was some sort of leeway with the o2 network? is that true?
    what do ya mean by leeway with o2, ya said you're with meteor and could get it off vodafone or three
    whats the connection with o2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Is there an untethered JB out yet?

not yet for 4.2.1
    eta is rumoured to be christmas eve

what do ya mean by leeway with o2, ya said you're with meteor and could get it off vodafone or three
    whats the connection with o2

As in o2 were unlocking their iphones on bill pay.

Yes but you never mentioned them plus ya would still have a contract with o2 whether the phone is unlocked or not

Yes but you never mentioned them plus ya would still have a contract with o2 whether the phone is unlocked or not

Apologies, i tried to edit a second time and couldnt. There is someone i know who wants to change to o2, so that suits me.

What has made o2 unconditionally unlock their iphones, vodafone need you to be on contract 18 months or something before doing it :confused:

Apologies, i tried to edit a second time and couldnt. There is someone i know who wants to change to o2, so that suits me.

What has made o2 unconditionally unlock their iphones, vodafone need you to be on contract 18 months or something before doing it :confused:
    oh right, does the person know they will be on a more expensive tariff over a longer period to get the iphone, they started unlocking them soon after they lost the exclusivity deal with apple

oh right, does the person know they will be on a more expensive tariff over a longer period to get the iphone, they started unlocking them soon after they lost the exclusivity deal with apple

Excuse me? What is this about, I am perfectly aware of how expensive tariffs work and if the o2 one doesnt appeal to me i will buy the iphone 4 sim free. So less of the condescending attitiude, cheers. I was merely asking a question about the availability of an unlock on irish networks. Thanks for your help.

Excuse me? What is this about, I am perfectly aware of how expensive tariffs work and if the o2 one doesnt appeal to me i will buy the iphone 4 sim free. So less of the condescending attitiude, cheers. I was merely asking a question about the availability of an unlock on irish networks. Thanks for your help.
    nothing condescending about it, its just some people dont realise the extra cost of the iphone tariffs
    afaik o2 are the only ones who unlock it straight away

Yes thats ok, I'm aware of the extra cost. Apologies, sometimes tones are hard to read through a computer screen. Cheers for the help.

• Advertisement

If you had of actually read some previous posts before asking a question that is asked 5-6 times a week here you wouldn't have gotten any "Condescending attitude".

Guil was just pointing out that o2 require you to sign up for an 18 month "iPhone tariff", a fact that most people are unaware of.

If you had of actually read some previous posts before asking a question that is asked 5-6 times a week here you wouldn't have gotten any "Condescending attitude".

Guil was just pointing out that o2 require you to sign up for an 18 month "iPhone tariff", a fact that most people are unaware of.

I searched this thread, but found it hard to find someone in the same situation. There is 77 pages of replies, so you can imagine its not the easiest. I apologised to guil and thanked him for the help, maybe if you read some posts you would see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Could someone tell me what's the easiest way to update, jailbreak and unlock a 3G from 3.1.2 up to 4.2.

Have search around online, but just want to get a definite answer before I attempt anything.

first of all ya should know unlocking on 4.2.1 will require the baseband to be updated to the ipad version, this means ya can never restore using itunes, you will always have to use a custom ipsw until apple bring the iphone baseband higher than 06.15.00

if you still want to continue, just follow this guide
    http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-update-iphone-3gs-3g-baseband-to-06.15.00-with-redsn0w-0.9.6b5-for-ios-4.2.1-unlock/

As guil said, you will need to update to the iPad baseband to unlock. I am quoting a section from the iPhone dev team blog, stating the drawbacks of doing so.
    WARNING — YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! *PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.
    • There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
    • If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
    • Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). *You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).
    Unlockers have been reporting mixed results about GPS functionality at 06.15.00. *Until we can track down what differentiates those who retain GPS vs. those who lose it, be conservative and assume you’ll lose GPS at 06.15.00. As we work on finding the cause (and possibly a fix), please report your personal findings in our comments section. *(Update: early indications are that while 06.15.00 is capable of GPS, it will require some further hacks. *But please still be conservative and assume you will lose GPS at 06.15, in case the hacks don’t work).
    Certainly don’t update to 06.15 if you don’t need to! *Only do this if you need the unlock and you’re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and you’re willing to assume the above risks.

You should seriously consider trying to get a legit unlock from your carrier before trying this!

Thanks for the replies lads.

How about updating to 4.0.1 ....would that be a bit easier?

• Advertisement

jamieh wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads.

How about updating to 4.0.1 ....would that be a bit easier?
    Yeah alot easier! Have you got Access to a mac? If so, just use pwnagetool to create a custom ipsw. Doing so preserves your current (unlockable) baseband.

You could just as easily update to 4.1 using the same method. In fact, it would be more recommended to update to 4.1 as 4.0.x has major battery drainage and "sluggishness" on iPhone 3G

Yeah alot easier! Have you got Access to a mac? If so, just use pwnagetool to create a custom ipsw. Doing so preserves your current (unlockable) baseband.

You could just as easily update to 4.1 using the same method. In fact, it would be more recommended to update to 4.1 as 4.0.x has major battery drainage and "sluggishness" on iPhone 3G

Cool - thanks a mill.

I have a Mac so I'll give pwnagetool a go.

I presume I need to save the ssh on cydia?

Do I just use ultrasn0w to unlock then?

Cool - thanks a mill.

I have a Mac so I'll give pwnagetool a go.

I presume I need to save the ssh on cydia?

Do I just use ultrasn0w to unlock then?
    Completely forgot about SHSH... Have you already got them saved?

Completely forgot about SHSH... Have you already got them saved?

I do - thank christ, ha!

Well, in Cydia it says up the top: SHSH iOS 4.0.2

Is that ok?

I do - thank christ, ha!

Well, in Cydia it says up the top: SHSH iOS 4.0.2

Is that ok?
    Well that means you have shsh for 4.0.2 anyway. As for 4.1, you might and you might not. Sometimes Cydia doesn't always show the latest info up there. Only way to be sure is to run tinyumbrella, press "save shsh" and if you have 4.1 on file it will appear there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement