Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MedusaV8

Plus gas if you can find some is a very good penetrating oil to help remove. The spline inte rear wiper if really fine yours just looks a little corroded as Sean said. I used copper slip when I put mine back on my V8. My current 90 is without a wiper until the fella sorts the wiring for me. It's only been 3 years. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭roman0red

Thanks guys - got jiggy with it as oap recommended and hey presto��....off she popped....turns out theirs splines on the spindle coming from the wheelbox and the wiper arm is slipping there and not in the wheelsbox. I've ordered a full kit just in case - working out at 75yoyos delivered to the house for wheelsbox & arm from topping in enniskillen. Not cheap but can't take a chance in current weather conditions
    Last question....I had left this on the long finger but now that I have it stripped ....when I turn off the wipers using the wiper leaver they don't return to the "home position" - they stop at whatever position your turn the leaver off. Normally you'd expext them to return to the horizontal position

Any ideas / suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I knew you would understand what I meant biggrin.png
    The park switch on your wiper motor is gone, its a little plastic part on the top and a bit to the side of the motor about the size of a matchbox.
    It will cost 10 or 12 euro for one if I remember right and as you say now is the time it fix it while its already striped.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭roman0red

Ok - wiper blade and wheel box replaced n the jobs a goodin - not an easy job I'll Hav u know but we got there in the end.

I replaced the park switch also n now I hav my intermittent wiper option back working which is good but I still cant get the home option working i.e. When I switch off the wiper motor the wipers stop immediately and don't return to the "home" position

Any suggestions?

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Just a quick update on a previous post. I finally got around to doing something about the three amigos and my dodgy ABS modulator. I had isolated the problem as a sticking pump. The motor has an oscillating shaft and where that enters the valve/piston block there is (supposed to be) a ball bearing. Mine was in bits and rusted. Somehow water got in there. Hooked the motor to a power supply it was running fine. So for the want of a bearing worth pennies an ABS modulator that costs a couple of grand has to be scrapped.
    Good news is I got a unit from an 03 Discovery and it's a straight swap; no plumbing or wiring changes. I took a punt that as the ABS ECU controls which wheel brakes and when, I should follow the wheel pattern on the outlet ports from the old Defender unit, ignoring the wheel labels on the replacement. The ports on the Discovery control different wheels to the Defender.

All sorted. NCT here I come. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Currently rebuilding my 1993 Defender 110 200tdi and need some advice on parts. I need to get the turbo replaced or rebuilt. I need a new radiator and possibly an intercooler. I also need the oil pipes for the turbo.

Can anyone recommend someone/someplace?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

Looked at a CSW recently with rust wash running out the rivets on the rear quarters. There us one on donedeal at the minute with the same ailment. Does this mean the body capping are shot? It was hard to pinpoint a source!

Have you got a link to the picture on DD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

You can thank the bean counters at LR for stopping galvanising the body cappings several years ago. It is a common problem but solvable with a bit of effort. You can use s/h or buy new galved cappings and swap them by undoing loads of bolts and jacking the roof up.

Look carefully at the doors on a SW especially the second row ones, they rot for fun. My 00 CSW needs 4 new doors or extensive welding. Also the B and C pillar frames and the body crossmember unique to SWs are also prone to tin worm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I have just joined the defender club with this 2001 td5 pickup. I'd love to sell that back though and put on a proper one ... anyone know the proper terminology for whatever the back section of a defender is called?

2001.jpg

• Advertisement

Welcome to the club. I presume you know what you're getting yourself into.

Truck cab is what you got, with a rigid canopy. What you want is a Hard Top. You probably need a whole new roof, front and back. I don't think you can just put a hard top rear section onto a truck cab. Could be wrong.

banjolin wrote: »
    Welcome to the club. I presume you know what you're getting yourself into.

Truck cab is what you got, with a rigid canopy. What you want is a Hard Top. You probably need a whole new roof, front and back. I don't think you can just put a hard top rear section onto a truck cab. Could be wrong.

cheers. yeah, Ive already noticed the 'stick yer arm out the window' issue. Lucky for me I like having the window open.

Hi and welcome.

As banjolin says, you need a hardtop roof and sides and a rear door, simple nut and bolt job. If you do fb, the Land Rover Owners Ireland group hold auctions for parts, probably get one that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

thinking of painting my 88 110, put a 200 tdi into it last October, and just finished getting my bulkhead repaired so i think a new paint job would go nicely :) thinking matte black, good colour on a defender? il be doing it with my landrover mechanic buddy so hopefully wont break the bank

It'll look good but matt will mark very easily. It will cover a multitude of sins though unlike a gloss finish which shows every imperfection!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just about finished sanding the body, try to get the wings doors and bonnet done tomorrow, really looking forward to seeing it done (some amount of work sanding though :eek: ) il get a couple of pictures up here when finished!

another reason i was thinking matt black was that if some paint comes off it will be real simple to just spray some aerosol paint on

How are the doors for tin worm the bottoms of the doors on my 99 110 are only held together with paint and the door cards.
    The DOE ( or what ever its called now ) is next month and I'm not looking forward to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

I know it's an ancient problem folks, but I'm winding up a small business so strictly speaking, my commercial 02 Defender 110 will be for private use. I'm sure I can still keep taxing/insuring as-is but there's a risk C&E will pull me up on that.
    How do they figure out if you have a legit business or not at the side of the road?
    What kind of annual tax am I facing if I start taxing it privately (02 2.5 TD5)?
    Can I even do that? i.e. tax it privately instead and then insure as a private vehicle aswell? Will it just scare off insurance companies because it's "physically" commercial, i.e. no windows, back seats, etc?
    Other options (aside from camper conversion which seems impossible)? Thanks...

Say nothing. To anyone. You won't face any more scrutiny than you do now. Private tax is pushing on for 1100. Getting something taxed commercially for the first time is where most come a cropper. If you have it already don't be so quick to give it up. What's a legit business anyway? Buy some hens and get a flock number if it puts your mind at ease. Someone will insure it any which way, apart from those **** who said they will no longer insure cars over ten years old.

Just my humble opinion, of course. Don't quote me on any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

sparkman wrote: »
    I know it's an ancient problem folks, but I'm winding up a small business so strictly speaking, my commercial 02 Defender 110 will be for private use. I'm sure I can still keep taxing/insuring as-is but there's a risk C&E will pull me up on that.
    How do they figure out if you have a legit business or not at the side of the road?
    What kind of annual tax am I facing if I start taxing it privately (02 2.5 TD5)?
    Can I even do that? i.e. tax it privately instead and then insure as a private vehicle aswell? Will it just scare off insurance companies because it's "physically" commercial, i.e. no windows, back seats, etc?
    Other options (aside from camper conversion which seems impossible)? Thanks...

A friend has a van for business he is stopped fairly regularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

i have an ifor williams canopy and a front bullbar for a defender if anyone has any interest.

Hard to say in the Irish market but Defender prices are strong with late Td5s in demand. In the UK it could easily fetch as much as £12k as it's really clean and low miles.

Apart from the chequer plate (why, oh why?) that looks like an XS model which will have ABS/ traction etc. and that could be good or bad depending on your point of view, but 2005 XS 90s go for between £13k and £15k sterling, which when you consider they cost about 26k new ten years ago takes some beating. They hold their value like crazy.

Given the value of the pound against the euro you should seriously consider selling it in the UK. As Sean says clean TD5s are in big demand. It really doesn't make sense to sell them here as you are unlikely to realise the true value in what is a totally different market.

anyone have any handy youtube links or tutorials in removing the headliner in a 2001 110?

maccored wrote: »
    anyone have any handy youtube links or tutorials in removing the headliner in a 2001 110?

aha! not needed. Take out the small clips by the doors, the rearview mirror, interior light fixture and the visors and out it pops. 10 euro for some glue and 45 mins in time = redone header. thankfully mine only has the front cab bit so it was handy.

I replaced both wheel boxes and wiper arms today but it only improved them a little . mad.png
    They had a habit of either sweeping from 4" up the screen too an inch past it altogether (on drivers side ) or starting an inch below the screen too about center of the steering wheel.
    I replaced the park switch a few years ago (different symptoms obliviously)and they have worked fine since, so it must be the motor this time no ?
    I thought an electric motor either worked or stopped not develop its own ideas as to where it should start a finish?confused.png
    As always any advice appreciated.

My own (admittedly limited) experience would be that the motor can fail, but if its broke nothing moves. I have had to replace one. You probably know this but the motor pushes a threaded rod from left to right, to and fro, which has teeth that engage a gear/cog on each wiper. This to and fro action rotates the gear/cog and turns the wiper. If the motor is buggered it stops both wipers.

I also had a problem where the drivers side wiper was doing the fandango but the other was fine. I had to replace the wiper box assembly. What I noticed was that while the replacement had a metal gear the original was plastic. It probably just wears out.

If you have replaced the wheel boxes on both sides then the problem most likely must be a relay or the motor assembly. If a relay fails I would have thought it was an on or off issue. That leaves the motor assembly, which includes the threaded rod. Have you checked the rod for wear and tear where it engages the wiper gear, or observed the motor in action with the dash side panel off? If the threaded rod itself is fine, is the motor action correct? You could also check if the contact/clearance between the threaded rod and the cogs is correct and not slipping.

Its a fairly simple mechanism. Its just such a huge pig of a job to remove the dash to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Is a cracked windscreen on a Defender best left to the experts and put through my insurance? The rubber seal on the outside has small cracks at the corners. Would this need replacing?

Insurance if you have windscreen cover and I think all policies do now.
    It won't effect your premium next year either so it makes
    No sense to pay for the glass and repair it yourself .

• Advertisement

Agreed, don't bother DIY, get it done under the insurance and tell the fitter you want a new screen rubber as well or you'll get leaks.

Advertisement