Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of joining the RDF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Darkener wrote:
    What you think contacts are?? I can see well enough myself without them. What do they do in the american army btw? You see them all in pics ect with glasses on. If i was in a situation were the would break anyway id probably be hurt quite a bit. In all the time i have had my glasses and the **** ive done with them.
    Contacts are fine in a nice well lit bathroom where you have your sterilising solution and soap handy. When you're living in a hole in the ground, they're a health risk. If you drop one, it's gone. Your hands are eternally dirty, so you're as likely to get something in your eye as you are to get the contact in. The idea of a minimum sight requirement is that if you lose your glasses you at least retain some utility, and aren't a complete liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Capall86

Both Barry and I wear glasses, we are both in the fca. to not get in you have to be nearly blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Barry's got it in one.

I remember the state of my hands after 3 days in Kilworth, and others peoples were in worse condition.

The PDF mess staff were worried we'd all get food poisioning, cause when we got back to base and washed our hands they were still dirty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

testicle wrote:
    Can I drive a tank? Do the fca have tanks?
    no to both. the defence forces do not have any tanks

what do you do when you go to the glen?
    train

The DF do have tanks! None of them are treaded*, but they're there. I know because I've seen them, in case anyone's going to say the opposite.

Never heard of transport by train though!

*Treaded tanks being useless in most of Ireland's terrain, as far as I'm aware.

You mean the AML 90's.
    I wouldn't class them as tanks, They are IFV's

The scorpions as well are not tanks, they are tracked recce vehicles

And the mowags are APC's

And finally the AML 20's. Forget about them, they are IFV's no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Jim_No.6 wrote:
    The DF do have tanks! None of them are treaded*, but they're there. I know because I've seen them, in case anyone's going to say the opposite.
    There are some tanks lying up in the Curragh Camp, rusting. The DF has no operational tanks*. The closest we have is the Scorpion, which is too lightly armoured and armed to be considered a tank, or to do the job of a tank. So it is called a Combat Vehicle, Reconaissance, Tracked (CVRT), as that is what it does - combat recon. Drive until you contact or see the enemy, shoot a few rounds if you have to, and then run like hell and call something capable of dealing with the enemy (if we have anything that is capable of dealing with the enemy)

* In this context I am using the military definition of a tank, ie a heavily armed and armoured tracked vehicle capable of standing and fighting enemy infantry and armour, not the civilian "metal thingy with a gun on top" definition

AMLs are not infantry fighting vehicles. An infantry fighting vehicle is capable of carrying mounted troops to contact, and then dismounting them and supporting them while dismounted. A Mowag can be considered an IFV as it carries troops and belongs to the infantry (the vehicle and troops are rarely seperated), however AMLs belong to the Cavalry, and as such would only be attached to an infantry unit to provide support. AMLs are also used by the cav independant of infantry, in the recon role.

Ment infantry support.

Meaning they'd only be called in if the infantry come upon an obstacle. i.e. enemy bunke or if enemy forces had access to light armour.

Also they'd be used in conjunction with an infantry assault to smash enemy defences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The Scorpion is a CVR(T) - Combat Reconnaissance Vehicle (Tracked)

The AML 20 and 90 are Armoured Cars, not IFVs, have you ever seen one? The 90 and the 20 are exactlt the same vehicle, with a different turret. The FCA are uing 90s, and the PDF have changed to 20s. Hence, I don't see why Bam Bam thinks the 20 is no more.

No more no less.
    I know we still use em

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Infantry assaults! Lol I'm sure you FCA boys will be doing loads of these... :rolleyes: Barry seems to know what he is talking about, Bam Bam your just in a make believe land....

So you have tanks or dont you have tanks?

Thanks to testicle for somewhat answering my questions, but i has lead to some more!

If I join before Oct 1, will have have to do a fitness test afterwards? if so how often?

Why Oct 1, why not before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Infantry assaults! Lol I'm sure you FCA boys will be doing loads of these...
    Course they do.

If I join before Oct 1, will have have to do a fitness test afterwards? if so how often?
    Yes, undecided as yet, probably annually

Why Oct 1, why not before?
    http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/Speech+ID/B8766E1EA1A8AB6180256EDD00458ACD?openDocument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Shame on you lads!!!
    How often do you shoot guns!!

I had a C.O. that would have bollocked anyone saying that from a hieght.
    WE DONT SHOOT GUNS!! WE SHOOT TARGETS!!

D other famous one is who do you salute in the Army???

A: Nobody...you salute rank, as that has been earned regardless of what your opinion of the person is!

And your totally right on Tanks... we dont have anything thats classed as a tank........ but I loved flying around cross country in a Scorpion... those things can move.

Has anyone seen the old mobile crane/tow truck in the Curragh..(usually parked beside "The Digger" ).I dont know what make it is, a driver was telling me it has 34 forward gears and 17 reverse..and was brought up to Armagh to help move a Chieftain Tank that the British lads had got stuck in a bog... destroyed the tank by ripping a lump off it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

testicle wrote:
    The AML 20 and 90 are Armoured Cars, not IFVs, have you ever seen one? The 90 and the 20 are exactlt the same vehicle, with a different turret. The FCA are uing 90s, and the PDF have changed to 20s. Hence, I don't see why Bam Bam thinks the 20 is no more.
    The AML-20s don't have a profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭robin321

im 13 and i want to join in the summer, have i a hope in hell??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Not yet, the age is 17.
    Reserve Defence Forces

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

<moved> from volunteerism. It is a paid position.
    <Title of thread changed> It is called the Reserve Defence Forces now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Finnt3

I was seriously thinking of joining the RDF when im 17, i want to know what it is that the RDF do, exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Train for the next war. Apparantly.

Have a look at http://www.1bderdf.com , it lists all Army Reserve Corps and what they do. In general, you will start attending training nights which last for around 3 hours from September or so. While waiting for security clearance and a date for a medical you will undergo instruction on foot drill and be introduced to what the Defence Forces does. You will learn weapons, ranks, organisation and tasks. After attestation you will conduct weapons training and in the summer attend 2 weeks Recruit training and be promoted to 2*.

The next September you will begin 2-3* training and hopefully attend your second summer training camp as a 3* where you learn Corps specific skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 clubberlang

Hi, im wondering if anyone can tell me if the rdf is definatly not recruiting at the moment, i've heard mixed stories on this?

Units are (apparantly, as nothing has happened in mine) receiving recruits on a trickle basis, comprising those who applied late 2008 or early 2009. The best thing to do is call you local unit and ask. Keep an eye here aswell, as soon as recruiting begins again it will be posted here.

http://www.rdf.ie/maps/

• Advertisement

Thanks concussion, i suppose at this stage though the best i can hope for is to get on a waiting list. Worth a try anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Yup,as concussion said thats what they are doing (it has happenend in mine) After this who knows,but keep an eye out I suppose and if you known anyone in already,they will be told to inform the masses!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lissacahaluke

Hey all,
    I was thinking of joining the rdf when im 17 also.
    Im 15 at the moment and I wanted to know if I would be able to join and at the same time stay at school and uni if I go.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question,
    Luke Delaney.

There will be no issues with that, a huge amount of reservists are in school and college.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lissacahaluke

concussion wrote: »
    There will be no issues with that, a huge amount of reservists are in school and college.
    Thanks for thats cleared up a good bit of stuff just there.
    Now all I have to do is sway my Mother. lol
    Thanks again.

i got in touch with my local unit the other day, they told me there is no intake until probably next year, so its just a matter of waiting now.
    Does anybody know if you join the rdf with an engineering qualification are you enlisted as a private or can you join as an officer like in the pdf?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

i got in touch with my local unit the other day, they told me there is no intake until probably next year, so its just a matter of waiting now.
    Does anybody know if you join the rdf with an engineering qualification are you enlisted as a private or can you join as an officer like in the pdf?

Everyone enters the RDF as enlisted personell. You have to work your way up. As soon as you become an NCO you can apply for the officers course but you would usually need a good few years experience to be considered for the course.
    As regards not being able to join till next year, id keep an eye out and maybe give them a call in April just in case things change which can happen a lot in the RDF

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

So are any units taking in people at all?

Yes in VERY limited recruitment, but they likely taking from the stock of current applications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Yup,its only taking in people who have had the paper work in from the get-go,I assume thats the way it is in every unit around the country,its the way it is in mine.

Advertisement