Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

most politcally incorrect opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

This Thread is funny...
    years ago.........not too far...Irish people were disrespected all over the world..we are behaving like its our turn to make fun of other people when we did not like it when we were being made fun of....In America today, at this 0 hour there are over 5 million illegal irish immigrants(undocumented as we like to refer to them) hopeless and helpless and waiting for some sort of miracle to occur for them finally have a life live legally in America...The general concensus about irish people(forget the highly placed people like clinton,reagan etc who claim irish ancestry because they do not want to be associated with the British oppression of the US)is that they are lazy and drunkards,Just because we had 15 years of (so called prosperity ) does not give us the right to look down on others,as it stands today and maybe in the nearest future,we just a little better in economic terms than a lot of 3rd world countries.If the US(too much) or the Uk stopped development in all spheres today and we are growing at 10% .it would take us over 30 years to get to where they are today.Learn from the mistakes of others and dont repeat their errors.Name-calling ,racism would get us nowhere.We are well noted as a country we are so eager to claim sucessful people where ever they are from....how dare Ireland claim Obama when his own fathers country people are practically looked down upon today in this country.Remember we were known as potato pickers..today we are known as the celtic tiger.........tomorrow...........we dont know!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

procure11 wrote: »
    This Thread is funny...
    years ago.........not too far...Irish people were disrespected all over the world..we are behaving like its our turn to make fun of other people when we did not like it when we were being made fun of....In America today, at this 0 hour there are over 5 million illegal irish immigrants(undocumented as we like to refer to them) hopeless and helpless and waiting for some sort of miracle to occur for them finally have a life live legally in America...The general concensus about irish people(forget the highly placed people like clinton,reagan etc who claim irish ancestry because they do not want to be associated with the British oppression of the US)is that they are lazy and drunkards,Just because we had 15 years of (so called prosperity ) does not give us the right to look down on others,as it stands today and maybe in the nearest future,we just a little better in economic terms than a lot of 3rd world countries.If the US(too much) or the Uk stopped development in all spheres today and we are growing at 10% .it would take us over 30 years to get to where they are today.Learn from the mistakes of others and dont repeat their errors.Name-calling ,racism would get us nowhere.We are well noted as a country we are so eager to claim sucessful people where ever they are from....how dare Ireland claim Obama when his own fathers country people are practically looked down upon today in this country.Remember we were known as potato pickers..today we are known as the celtic tiger.........tomorrow...........we dont know!!!!!!!
    Tíocfaidh ar Lá {I feel terrible saying this after those soldiers in the nurth,adn that poor pizza}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

RIRA members should be hung from the highest tree for treason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

procure11 wrote: »
    A steaming pile of shíte

Didnt Obama's dad run off leaving his mum pregnant? (So Des Bishop says....)

I'd look down on that:pac:

And if the president's dad does, they obviously all do it! DUH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Hate English people who use the "word" "bruvv". Tho I don't hate English accents like that ginger Blaithnaid one of RTE...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Hate English people who use the "word" "bruvv". Tho I don't hate English accents like that ginger Blaithnaid one of RTE...
    does her name even sound english? and if you hear her ag caint tri gaeilge she sounds completely different

but i know how you feel there's a first year in my school that i swear i'll strangle because of his accent (that really annoying high pitched cockney kind of one:mad:)

@dan if you put ticcker factory {/url} after your sig it will work as a link with square brackets but they don't show in posts

...and why the eff is jade goody on the papers so she's dying let her alll she does is bithc and moan ,there's a thread for that ,there shouldn't be a front page spread.I mean how many people die of cancer yearly? she raises awareness yes, but not intentionally or for the right reasons ,lots of people die from it what makes a whinger like her more important than all the others that go through it

• Registered Users Posts: 17 klonere

Mine?

We are the most anglicized (not Anglo-American) culture in the World.
    RIRA members should have their family trees wiped out. No remorse.
    Kings of Leon/The Killers are awful :)
    AMIRITE.

Probably not :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i wouldnt say we're more or less anglicised than other english speaking countries. irish language, history, gaa, accents, culture and traditions are still quite strong in the country, and i can't picture that changing too quickly.

at least we have our own national sport, i do love pointing out to kiwis how their national sport (rugby) is just an english game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

In fairness, NZ have a Union Jack on their flag and Queen Elizabeth is their head of state. Not having a national sport is the least of their worries if they wish to be seen as non-Anglicised.

..and why the eff is jade goody on the papers so she's dying let her alll she does is bithc and moan ,there's a thread for that ,there shouldn't be a front page spread.I mean how many people die of cancer yearly? she raises awareness yes, but not intentionally or for the right reasons ,lots of people die from it what makes a whinger like her more important than all the others that go through it

Of course, so many people intentionally die of cancer to raise awareness....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

i disagree. if you dont want to see ireland as anglicised then you won't see it that way

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    In fairness, NZ have a Union Jack on their flag and Queen Elizabeth is their head of state. Not having a national sport is the least of their worries if they wish to be seen as non-Anglicised.

still, they have little more than contempt for the brits (pohms, they call them), and don't like to be associated with them. ever notice how many of their sports teams wear the colours of the flag? all their national symbols are very kiwi - ferns, wildlife, and elements of maori culture. although, i did just discover that if i ever become a citizen, i'll have to swear an oath of allegiance to the queen. *blanches*

also, there is a campaign to re-do the flag, to show actual symbols of kiwi culture, there's one really nice one out there... not to mention that their national anthem was written by an irish man :pac:

acontadino wrote: »
    i disagree. if you dont want to see ireland as anglicised then you won't see it that way

same goes for both sides, tbh. could you point out some elements of irish culture that make us clearly more anglicised than america, canada, australia or new zealand?

edit: im not saying you'll change my mind, necessarily, but i would like to see your point of view a little clearlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

klonere wrote: »
    Mine?

We are the most anglicized (not Anglo-American) culture in the World.
    RIRA members should have their family trees wiped out. No remorse.
    AMIRITE.

WHAT? Thought basically everyone liked Kings of Leon!!!

Never knew that the queen was head of state of New Zealand. So basically they are part of the british empire??

No they're shíte:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

klonere wrote: »
    AMIRITE.

Well, imo,

Killers - Yes, awful
    KOL - No, I like them.

Although not liking certain bands hardly falls under the banner of "politically incorrect"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Well, imo,

Killers - Yes, awful
    KOL - No, I like them.
    Other way around for me, thanks! :P
    Although not liking certain bands hardly falls under the banner of "politically incorrect"

I agree with you here though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

But some people will look at you like you have two heads if you say you don't like a certain band.

"Oasis or Blur?"

"Eh, Blur."

"Yeh wha'?"

"I mean Oasis, Oasis!":pac:

father-damo-lennon.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Acacia wrote: »

Ya wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

But some people will look at you like you have two heads if you say you don't like a certain band.

"Oasis or Blur?"

"Eh, Blur."

"Yeh wha'?"

father-damo-lennon.jpg
    Which is why the convo should go like this

"Oasis or Blur?"

"Who?"

*Head explodes*

Everyones happy

Ya wha?

Eh, I mean, Blur! Or more accurately >>
    Which is why the convo should go like this

"Oasis or Blur?"

"Who?"

*Head explodes*

Everyones happy

LOL. :D

I guess the more contemporary argument would be Coldplay vs. the Killers, or something.

• Advertisement

I guess the more contemporary argument would be Coldplay vs. the Killers, or something.
    It works in this situation too except thered be whinging and a moany blog put up before the head explodes

Nah.....Coldplay are just awful........Killers marginally better.

Heh, stupid people and their arguing over how effectively a product was marketed towards them.

Heh, stupid people and their arguing over how effectively a product was marketed towards them.
    No way man. APPLE RULES!!!!!

*starts running*

It works in this situation too except thered be whinging and a moany blog put up before the head explodes

LMAO :pac:
    Fad wrote: »
    Nah.....Coldplay are just awful........Killers marginally better.

Well, I see you like MCR from your sig- so automatically I disregard your musical opinions! :p

(Just joking, I love MCR too, but this is the typical response I get from people when I say I like them *sigh*) ;)

So true.

People like Coldplay (plagiarists) and MCR ( anti christ)? Jaysus.

Stev_o wrote: »
    People like Coldplay (plagiarists) and MCR ( anti christ)? Jaysus.

The millions of records they sold would indicate that yes, people do like them. :pac:

The millions of records they sold would indicate that yes, people do like them. :pac:

>_< Two bands i really hate with a passion and go against what i think musicianship should be.

Stev_o wrote: »
    >_< Two bands i really hate with a passion and go against what i think musicianship should be.

Well, I do hate Coldplay, too, because they send me to sleep. I love MCR though. (:o)

• Advertisement

(Just joking, I love MCR too, but this is the typical response I get from people when I say I like them *sigh*) ;)

I'd typically get that response from some who likes DMX or some fecal deposit like that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Ya, those who just like to have a few CDs floating about the house or in the car....

I'd typically get that response from some who likes DMX or some fecal deposit like that :)

Forgive my ignorance, but who are DMX? :)
    Ya, those who just like to have a few CDs floating about the house or in the car....

:confused:

What you mean? people that don't really like music?

Forgive my ignorance, but who are DMX? :)

What you mean? people that don't really like music?

Some awful rap group.....

Alot of people who dont really like music would kinda like U2 KOL etcetc

Some awful rap group.....

Thanks. Oh yeah, I know what you mean, it's more background noise than actual music.

I'm tempted to post what would be viewed as extreme musical elitism....

I won't though.

• Advertisement

I won't though.

Go for it, it is an opinion thread :)

I won't though.

Sure, it's the internet- it's all about musical elitism here!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

just got happiness in magazines by graham coxon, excellent stuff :)

I quite enjoyed some of coldplay's earlier stuff and have their first three albums, so shoot me?

To be honest plagiarism in music doesn't bother me, I consider mickey mouse copyright laws to be a much bigger problem... I honestly couldn't care if the 'original creator' (whatever that means) loses out, I'm not interested in music's origins, just in listening to it.

Sorry but where the hood at.............

Well....
    Thanks. Oh yeah, I know what you mean, it's more background noise than actual music.
    This amuses me slightly. Looking down on music and people who like said music despite admitting to liking a band who you probably like for exactly the same reason these people like those bands.

"Exactly the same reason?", you ask? Yup, MCR are the same idea as any other popular band with regular slots on MTV. Doing nothing new, churning out the same kinda stuff other bands did before them. They are nothing more than a product, a machine making accessible songs for the masses, using the same predictable chord progressions etc. that have made the music industry millions in the past and present.

Now you may be thinking that's not fair, that even if the songs aren't all that original, it doesn't make them bad. That just because they're not doing something crazily experimental, doesn't make them less valid as a band. That if you like the songs, you like the songs and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

And you'd be right, it's just... that isn't being into music, IMHO.

Almost everyone likes music to a certain extent. But there's liking the latest popular, accessible tunes, and there's really being into music - seeking out different genres, not caring what's current, challenging oneself rather than playing it safe and not stepping outside a comfortable boundary.

Now were there some kind of system of classifying how "into music" you were, you might be a step above most of your peers, but I'd contest that you wouldn't be much ahead of them if you'd rate MCR highly. With the extraordinary wealth of music out there, I find it hard to believe that anyone with a solid interest in music would rate their tired, unoriginal brand of commercial pop-punk in any way higher than mediocre.

I used to look down on people who weren't into music according to my definition. I don't anymore, I just accept that most people just aren't very into their music, they just like whatever's marketed towards them (with very slight discrimination, certain groups liking pop, others rap, others indie, others metalcore etc.) and they're happy with that. However, I see music as more of a challenge, an attempt to experience and appreciate as many different sounds as possible.

Hmm... what was the point of that again? Oh yeah, the claim that some people aren't really into music while admitting to liking MCR :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

nice post JC :D

I love getting new and weird stuff. I love beats that don't do what I expected, I love having to work to bop along to a song. I'm currently getting about an album a week and I love getting all the new sounds :)

as mentioned before, newest is happiness in magazines by graham coxon :) Been enjoying some weird stuff by the who as well. Finally started getting daft punk albums, fun :) Got an album by creedence recently too :D

do I qualify as being into music? =P I wouldn't count myself as being into music really, to be honest... I really enjoy music, listening to it and hearing new (good) things, but I wouldn't generally go beyond enjoying at a surface level and wouldn't generally research new music too much, preferring to just hear it and then decide if I like it. The music I rate highest is the music that grows on me, and the lowest is the music that shrinks on me and suffers badly from 'sameness' and being overplayed.

Hmm... what was the point of that again? Oh yeah, the claim that some people aren't really into music while admitting to liking MCR :pac:

I agree with everything you've written, though (even the part about MCR :P). I don't think people who like Kings of Leon or U2 aren't into music- I was just clarifying what an earlier poster said. :D In fact, I was going to write something similar to your post in response to this >>>

But decided to leave it as I've had this argument too many times before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Well....

This amuses me slightly. Looking down on music and people who like said music despite admitting to liking a band who you probably like for exactly the same reason these people like those bands.

Almost everyone likes music to a certain extent. But there's liking the latest popular, accessible tunes, and there's really being into music - seeking out different genres, not caring what's current, challenging oneself rather than playing it safe and not stepping outside a comfortable boundary.

Now were there some kind of system of classifying how "into music" you were, you might be a step above most of your peers, but I'd contest that you wouldn't be much ahead of them if you'd rate MCR highly. With the extraordinary wealth of music out there, I find it hard to believe that anyone with a solid interest in music would rate their tired, unoriginal brand of commercial pop-punk in any way higher than mediocre.

Yeah but seeking out the progressive, experimental stuff doesn't neccesarily make you any more "into" music if you're doing it for the sake of it (not saying that you in particular are of course). Personally I spend a lot of time listening to music and I'd say I have a moderately diverse taste and collection (Beefheart, Battles, Sigur Ros, Arvo Part, Animal Collective, Foals, Crystal Castles, Joanna Newsom, Santogold, Velvet Underground, Gogol Bodello etc). But I still like throwing on...well maybe not MCR-but say an album like Never Mind The Bollocks or Aha Shake Heartbreak or Fight Like Apes or Hot Fuss or even *furtive glance* American Idiot every once in a while. Just because the music is "easier" doesn't mean it's worse neccesarily, there's more than one function of music and sometimes you just wanna RAWK :p M'eh, I've also lost sight of my point

Doesn't have to be progressive or experimental, currently I'm getting into a load of electronic music, a lot of it is very dancey and not very hard to listen to, but it's territory I've never ventured into before (and not a lot of people I know have really, pity).

And don't misinterpret what I've written as being in some way condescending. God knows I was one hell of a condescending, elitist 15-17 year old with all the obscure music I liked back then (and still do), but I don't take that attitude any more. Liking something which is simple or popular doesn't devalue one's taste in music.

The only thing I would say is that there's so much RAWKIN music out there that wasn't ever in the charts, or heavily marketed at you in any way. I don't generally like supporting hugely popular bands because I believe that most are popular due to intensive advertising and imposition on people as opposed to a lot of people hearing them in an unbiased atmosphere and liking them. That's more a personal thing than anything to do with music itself though.

Yeah but seeking out the progressive, experimental stuff doesn't neccesarily make you any more "into" music if you're doing it for the sake of it (not saying that you in particular are of course). Personally I spend a lot of time listening to music and I'd say I have a moderately diverse taste and collection (Beefheart, Battles, Sigur Ros, Arvo Part, Animal Collective, Foals, Crystal Castles, Joanna Newsom, Santogold, Velvet Underground, Gogol Bodello etc). But I still like throwing on...well maybe not MCR-but say an album like Never Mind The Bollocks or Aha Shake Heartbreak or Fight Like Apes or Hot Fuss or even *furtive glance* American Idiot every once in a while. Just because the music is "easier" doesn't mean it's worse neccesarily, there's more than one function of music and sometimes you just wanna RAWK :p M'eh, I've also lost sight of my point

That it doesn't matter how complicated a piece as long as it fullfills it's aim to entertain people?

My own views are complicated, im a musician and as such i hate music now.... Basically im my own worse enemy, i over analysis music and will judge a piece by what is going on and who's playing what etc. Usually if i find a decent song ill go tab it out and thus remove the veal of mystery that surrounded it thus making it ****. :P There's nothing worse then finding out that a song you really like has been really lazily written.

Now im at the point where i find it so hard to find music that challenges me and suits my demands of melody and good musicianship.

Would it be so hard to lay off your demands? Maybe expand your horizons and try listening to a totally different genre of music?

There's no such thing as strictly defined good and bad musicianship IMO. Any criteria there are are just meaningless formalism IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My my, the pretence is strong on this thread.

Would it be so hard to lay off your demands? Maybe expand your horizons and try listening to a totally different genre of music?

There's no such thing as strictly defined good and bad musicianship IMO. Any criteria there are are just meaningless formalism IMO.

Nope it's emended in my head, like i branch out to different genres but there is certain genre's that just don't interest me you know. At the moment im going through a phase of Hans Zimmer a composer who does scores for movies such as Gladiator, Crimson Tide, The Rock, Lion King, Pearl Harbour etc.

Piste wrote: »
    My my, the pretence is strong on this thread.
    I don't really see that tbh.

In any case, dismissing things as pretentious is in itself pretentious.

which means that there is a small and bitter group who do hate them, on grounds of their popularity :pac:

Never knew that the queen was head of state of New Zealand. So basically they are part of the british empire??

yep, nz and australia are both part of hte british empire. if i was to get citizenship over here, i'd have to swear an oath of allegiance to the queen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement