Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallaght not as bad as you think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

just incase you think im a knob i was joking but internet sarcasm is hard to get,anyway i know a few people from jobstown and they are lovely its not the area that raises scumbags its the ****ty parents

Ah yeah, I agree 100%. Loads of lovely people in Tallaght. And ****ty parents really **** up kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

NothingMan wrote: »
    it was made look better by millbrook lawns :D;) and then the junkie centre arrived and ruined it for both of us :mad:

Then the lads above Tony's shop took care of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

House is clean, don't have kids.

I live in the Jobstown end of Tallaght. I understand and accept this is the worst part. But it is so huge it gives the whole of Tallaght a bad name.

Move then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

ah no no no it wasnt them at all;)

ah no no no it wasnt them at all;)
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

:pac:

SOS, great for the easter eggs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

seriously?! whats the point of this thread? i could say the same about Limerick but not gona waste my time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I completely agree.

Lived in Tallaght all my life. Grew up in Homelawns. It's near Old Bawn but would have a worse reputation as it was near a lot of council flats

it was made look better by millbrook lawns :D;) and then the junkie centre arrived and ruined it for both of us :mad:

Tymon has a junkie centre they ruin most area's My Aunty worked around that area too you see them in Tymon shopping centre drinking their methadone.

123balltv wrote: »
    I completely agree.

Lived in Tallaght all my life. Grew up in Homelawns. It's near Old Bawn but would have a worse reputation as it was near a lot of council flats

Tymon has a junkie centre they ruin most area's My Aunty worked around that area too you see them in Tymon shopping centre drinking their methadone.

i wasnt bragging about having 1 :confused:

I completely agree.

Theres one on the belgard road , just up from burger king ,on certain days you'll see brass monkeys all walking up the belgard road to get their Sh!t ,it's across from Jacobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I think the main sign of how good or bad an area is, is how comfortable a non-resident would be walking around it, not a person who has grown up there or visits their relatives friends etc.

Using this as a yardstick, most of East Tallaght (village, Kingswood, IT, Belgard Road) would be alright. I don't know much about Aylesbury so I really can't say. Tymon and Old Bawn are quite rough at the edges but I don't think they're as bad as they used to be. I'd be pretty uncomfortable in Kilnamanagh to be honest. Now Killinarden is somewhere I definately would not be going into if I wasn't from the area. The Springfield area is pretty nice from what I can see.

West Tallaght is a place I can honestly say I wouldn't venture into at all. Fettercairn and Jobstown are just areas I wouldn't go near. A mate of mine was working in the Shell garage near Jobstown and got robbed three times in a month. He quit as you can imagine. I also used to play football matches out that way a fair bit and we ended up having to race to our cars at the end of two games after the boyizzz turned up at the side of the pitch and started throwing ****e at us.

:P:P:P

Although, being reasonable, I'd say literally every single place in the world has, at some stage, someone walked through it that felt uncomfortable.

Theres one on the belgard road , just up from burger king ,on certain days you'll see brass monkeys all walking up the belgard road to get their Sh!t ,it's across from Jacobs

really???ive worked in broomhill for 2 years and ive never seen them......i better go tweak my sniper rifle sight:pac:

really???ive worked in broomhill for 2 years and ive never seen them......i better go tweak my sniper rifle sight:pac:

It's there alright ,in the same place that tile place was that went bust ,just up from the indian take away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Dudess wrote: »
    Some guy I don't know from Tallaght tried to add me on Facebook recently - naturally I hurriedly pressed ignore and washed my laptop.

say's the cork muck savage ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Tallaght is a festering cesspool of lazy, dole scroungers unmarried mothers fleecing the soical welfare system, fatherless, feral scumbags who have an air of entitlement and exist in a consequence free environment. Tallaght is a hotbed of innate criminality.

If the people of Tallaght had any regard for the place (they don't) they wouldn't let the hordes of young thugs wander round in their tracksuits like it was an olympic village. The people of Tallaght don't live they exist.

have you ever been to tallaght?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ahh will ya's ever go and fcuk off .

Every area has it's riff raff and scum .

Now im not saying that certain parts of Tallaght are on the same par as our D4 friends , but if you live in a housing estate if it be Tallaght or anywhere in Ireland then your gonna have the pusher , user , thief , scumbag .

They (scumbags)may seem like the majority in certain areas but they are not .
    Plenty of decent folk who are the true majority , but brought down by the odd scumbag.
    The Council don't help either with their crazy housing schemes .
    Take that new estate just off the Fortunestown rd at the top of Tallaght , Mac Ulliamh or some shoite name like that .... Fcuk me what a Kip !
    It's gonna be the new mini Ballymun in about 10yrs .The crazy boys in the Council must have emptied a whole housing list into this new build .
    Now I'm sure there is also decent folk in this estate but it's a perfect example of a social problem incubation project.
    It's taken decades to sort out other social problems in other estates , yet in 12months they have managed to make a problem that will last and last for decades to come.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Its based at the old Glen Abbey factory, Zombies do be walking to it most days up and down the belgard road.

I grew up in Cushlawn and lads it was as rough as it comes and still is. Houses boarded up all over the place, robbed cars every night, Killinarden house for a quiet pint is like the ok coral, your taking your f00king live into your hands unless you know somebody there. I've drank there down the years as i'm from the area and i could write a book on the place. Junkies dying every other week, stepping over bodies to get into the top shop, lads off there cake everywhere. People getting on and off the 65b and 50 bus and not paying their fare, just walk on past the driver known damn well he is not coming after them, unless he has a death wish.

Last incident i heard of happened 2nd January this year, couple of young lads egging houses, threw an egg at the wrong mans house. Went out picked up the little 14 year old scumbag, proceeded to walk around to the next road with the youngfella over his shoulders, arrives at said younglads house, and proceeds to fook him through the sitting room window and lands on the xmas tree in the middle of the window in full view. Aul lad comes out roaring and shouting, gets decked and is told if his son ever looks at his house again he will shoot him and cut his balls off.

All in all a fine neighbourhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

To be fair, every town has its scumbags. With a population of around 100,000, there's obviously gonna be a bigger volume of scumbags than anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

To be fair, every town has its scumbags. With a population of around 100,000, there's obviously gonna be a bigger volume of scumbags than anywhere else.

Very, very true.

Considering that's about the same size as Limerick City and the amount of ****e that I have to put up with reading about, I'd try to suck it up, OP.......if someone hasn't a clue what they're talking about and slags off your area, just write them off as uninformed bigots.

The funniest one of all was when someone on holiday reacted to us mentioning where we were from with the usual ignorant stereotype phrase......the fact that he was from South Armagh meant that I didn't correct him, and we walked away from the prick and laughed our hole off afterwards at the fact that he thought it "safe enough" to slag us, while we'd have been afraid that he'd pull out an AK47 or a pipe bomb if we'd tried to correct him, which just highlighted which of the two places had the actual worse reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Ive lived in Tallaght all my life , Aylesbury to be exact . 15 min walk to the square and luas .. The likes of aylesbury and old bawn are grand , but jesus Killinarden and Jobstown are total **** holes . When you hear of bad things going on in Tallaght its either Killinarden or Jobstown , Aylesbury and Old Bawn are like any another place in Dublin . Houses priced at 3-500,000 but Jobstown and Killinarden are just council estates ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I work in it, and the clinic in Jobstown, I would love to see some the keyboard warriors here have a go at some of my clients. Like anything else being on methadone does not a scumbag make.

I own fire arms with a quote like above I would be suprised if you did own one, and would more than likely shoot yourself in the foot with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Great atmospheric stadium!

KOH

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

amacca wrote: »
    That always holds me back in these situations too

juicy lucy's and mental eddie's bruddas and cousints could literally be around the next corner

If I thought they were a bit further away, I didn't live in the area and cameras were not working Ireland would see a return to on the spot corporal punishment...at least on my account.

I probably would have done the same myself a few years ago before I mellowed out. But you can't take it out on them. It's society's fault, you see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

pmcmahon wrote: »
    say's the cork muck savage ;)
    :eek:

Too far... :(

Odysseus wrote: »

I work in it, and the clinic in Jobstown, I would love to see some the keyboard warriors here have a go at some of my clients. Like anything else being on methadone does not a scumbag make.

I own fire arms with a quote like above I would be suprised if you did own one, and would more than likely shoot yourself in the foot with one.

moderator doesnt get humour :O:O:O shock horror,btw a junkball tried mugging me when i was 16 and i broke his jaw and cheekbone,heroin ****s up bodies as you know and make them weak and without trying to sound like a keyboard warrior im 6f4 and played gaa all my life at least if i do have to defend myself i use my fists not knives

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

moderator doesnt get humour :O:O:O shock horror,btw a junkball tried mugging me when i was 16 and i broke his jaw and cheekbone,heroin ****s up bodies as you know and make them weak and without trying to sound like a keyboard warrior im 6f4 and played gaa all my life at least if i do have to defend myself i use my fists not knives

You must be well hard. I wish I was your freind.

Trog wrote: »

You must be well hard. I wish I was your freind.

im not making myself out to be hard so dont twist my words,all im saying is i can defend myself like alot of other people in dublin who arent afraid of intimidation from junkies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I think it's way too late to disperse the stereotypes associated with Tallaght but I'd like to just say that I have lived here my whole life and it is a nice place to live. I hate that it has a bad reputation and it serious pisses me getting slagged about it by people who have never even been here.

It's not as though when you leave Tallaght, suddenly you can flaunt your wallet and your car keys and whatever valuables with the attitude, 'I'm not in Tallaght anymore, I won't get robbed'. No town in Dublin can leave their doors unlocked so why has Tallaght been singled out?

We have the Square and the Luas so it's very convenient. A town shouldn't be judged just because it has scumbags, you're going to get them everywhere. So tell me what it is.

I lived in tallaght for two years. Iv witnessed serious assaults, loads of public order offences, 4 police chases, my car was broken into the night i moved in, burned out cars at least once a week.

Id recommend tallaght to anyone that's why i left. :D

Ogh and a 96 Honda accord is not flaunting anything when you bought it for 500 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

i dont think its bad at all was there the weekend. People are sound and friendly. Dont knw why so many people up their own holes use it as a place to slag just to make themselves feel better about their hometown. Yuppies eh!

I lived in tallaght for two years. Iv witnessed serious assaults, loads of public order offences, 4 police chases, my car was broken into the night i moved in, burned out cars at least once a week.

Id recommend tallaght to anyone that's why i left. :D

Ogh and a 96 Honda accord is not flaunting anything when you bought it for 500 euro.

what part did you live in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Met a few folks from Tallaght on my hols,had the usual stereotypical view at first but found them to be sound,they even travelled down for a long weekend on the lash a couple of months later.Like all places you may take the bad with the good.
    Had a funny incident before in Tallaght-was working in the lands overlooking it when some battered up guy came charging through the ditch in absolute tatters."How do I get to Tallaght bud?" was all we got from him as he stumbled past.Found out he had been abducted in Jobstown and brought for a nice drive and 'conversation' up in the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Dudess wrote: »
    Some guy I don't know from Tallaght tried to add me on Facebook recently - naturally I hurriedly pressed ignore and washed my laptop.

What would you do if I added you??????.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

This bull**** excuse for scummers that 'der are no facilities for de youngfella's' wreaks my head. Its often trotted out as an excuse for why certain area's of tallaght became the way they are.

Tell me this. I lived in Firhouse for my entire Childhood. Firhouse is also full of housing estates, had just as much of a dearth of facilities and back in the day was just as far from recreational facilities as areas of Tallaght. Why didn't Firhouse estates degenerate into cesspits of scumbaggery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Calibos wrote: »
    Why didn't Firhouse estates degenerate into cesspits of scumbaggery?

Some would say they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

What a ridiculous thread....There are a few council housing estates in "Tallaght" that are rough....Kilinarden,Jobstown,Brookfield,Fettercairn....there are nice area's such as Old Bawn,Kingswood,Belgard Heights,Aylesbury and Citywest,Kiltipper,Bancroft.

But because all these area's are classed as tallaght they all get thrown into the same category....

Some people paid mad money for dingy 2 bed duplex's just because they fell into the D14 Rathfarnham area just so they could say they lived in Rathfarnham...when they could have bought a house literally accross the road in Ballycullen for the same price....the only catch was that was that Ballycullen (a lovely area) was in the D24 code and therefore you are thrown into the "Tallaght" generalisation....

Terenure is right beside Crumlin and Drimnagh....and Castleknock is next to Blanchardstown....so it is ridiculous when "Tallaght" is generalised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Calibos wrote: »
    This bull**** excuse for scummers that 'der are no facilities for de youngfella's' wreaks my head. Its often trotted out as an excuse for why certain area's of tallaght became the way they are.

Tell me this. I lived in Firhouse for my entire Childhood. Firhouse is also full of housing estates, had just as much of a dearth of facilities and back in the day was just as far from recreational facilities as areas of Tallaght. Why didn't Firhouse estates degenerate into cesspits of scumbaggery?

It is a bull**** excuse and that's all it is, an excuse for people who can't take responsibility for their own actions.

I know people who visited Malawi where some of the poverty would astound you but they never experienced any crime whatsoever even without security. The people could not have been nicer and friendlier to them. Compared to the huts they lived in Jobstown, Irish council estates would be Beverly Hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Dublin's a kip /thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Dublin's a kip /thread
    Not really though is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Geminicw

I have to agree with OP I am from the country and had only been in Dublin a few times Christmas shopping ect. so myself and few mates decided to go to tallagh for the weekend (one them said its a great spot) at first I was a bit unsure because I had heard it was rough out but I have to say I was a great weekend not one bit of trouble met some of the nicest people over all great crack!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

Geminicw wrote: »
    not one bit of trouble met some of the nicest people over all great crack!!!
    Typical culchie up in the big smoke 5 minutes an already hittin da rock...will all end in tears
    Seriously it annoys me when people make sweeping generalisations about a whole area they have probably never done more than drive through. Visiting The Square does not qualify you as an expert on Tallaght. As someone who has actually lived in Tallaght let me tell you it is an awfull ****ehole largely populated by overfamilliar scumbags who insist on referring to everyone as "bud"
    Could be worse though imagine living in Hollyhead?

• Advertisement

im not making myself out to be hard so dont twist my words,all im saying is i can defend myself like alot of other people in dublin who arent afraid of intimidation from junkies.

Maybe your not, but what I do know is I have dealt with some very serious people over the years, and don't find the need to justify making statements about zeroing your scope.

Most firearms owners in Ireland hated this as it shows the person knows nothing about them. The paperwork and hoops we have to jump through, and people think they are cool or will get a few thanks for "popping" a few drugs drug users, with their rifle. I note you neither confirmed nor denied you own a fire arm. If you make statements like that on a public forum I pray you don’t.

I don't get intimidated easy myself, but I do know that after years of MA training, I'm an ultra runner as well, that there are plenty of drug users out there that may be able to take me down, given the right circumstances.

I doubt you would call anybody you see making their way to Belgard everyday as a junkie to their face, so why the need to do it here? As I have said again and again here being a drug user does not a scumbag make.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 d4head77

I'm from a very posh background (I can be honest here in anonymity!). My best friend all my life, who I would trust with my life, is from an area of town (not Tallaght) which, like Tallaght, among the chattering classes who have never even been there, has a brutally bad "reputation". I could not put into words how highly I regard my friend, nor others I know from that neck of the woods, and yet there are more than a few I kn ow wgho live locally to me me and drive his'n'hers SUVs etc etc, who i would not piss on if they were on fire. If anyone wants to designate anyone as scumbags or knackers, my take in this always relates to trust and integrity. I would value my aforementioned friend(s) very far above some of my well spoken, well educated and well paid neighbours. It's all about what's in your heart, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭bigwillie

im from walkinstown and worked in Packard Electric in tallaght for years, most of the people there were from tallaght and were some of the nicest people you will ever meet......... a few dickheads as well:P

Maybe your not, but what I do know is I have dealt with some very serious people over the years, and don't find the need to justify making statements about zeroing your scope.

Most firearms owners in Ireland hated this as it shows the person knows nothing about them. The paperwork and hoops we have to jump through, and people think they are cool or will get a few thanks for "popping" a few drugs drug users, with their rifle. I note you neither confirmed nor denied you own a fire arm. If you make statements like that on a public forum I pray you don’t.

I don't get intimidated easy myself, but I do know that after years of MA training, I'm an ultra runner as well, that there are plenty of drug users out there that may be able to take me down, given the right circumstances.

I doubt you would call anybody you see making their way to Belgard everyday as a junkie to their face, so why the need to do it here? As I have said again and again here being a drug user does not a scumbag make.

calm down its a joke ffs,and no i dont own any firearms and i dont plan on it i know how hard you guys work to get a license,fair enough maybe you have met "good junkies" but i haven't,like i said being mugged for a schoolbag was shocking enough but to see a little scumbag called "bucko" bully kids years ago was enough for me.Im not a **** but seeing him face down on the ground makes me laugh but then i see the face on his parents as they shamefully drag him in changes that.

calm down its a joke ffs,and no i dont own any firearms and i dont plan on it i know how hard you guys work to get a license,fair enough maybe you have met "good junkies" but i haven't,like i said being mugged for a schoolbag was shocking enough but to see a little scumbag called "bucko" bully kids years ago was enough for me.Im not a **** but seeing him face down on the ground makes me laugh but then i see the face on his parents as they shamefully drag him in changes that.

He sounds like he would be a cnut with or without drugs, that's what I'm trying to get you to see. Face down on the ground as in stoned? or put down? I ask as if the former he sounds ripe for a od, out or interest what would your reaction be then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lol at the "I've met a lot of people from Tallaght and they're really nice" responses. No sh1t - "A lot of people in 'really nice' shocker!" :eek:

He sounds like he would be a cnut with or without drugs, that's what I'm trying to get you to see. Face down on the ground as in stoned? or put down? I ask as if the former he sounds ripe for a od, out or interest what would your reaction be then?

off his face BUT i think he has calmed down in the past year,tbh id feel sorry for his family and daughter but not for him he put the needle in no-one forced him,i apologise if ive offended you but with a bro for a garda and through my own experience i only see/hear the bad side and i do believe that you see the good side also im not sure and hopefully you can clarify this but through programs like your own heroin addiction is down true?

off his face BUT i think he has calmed down in the past year,tbh id feel sorry for his family and daughter but not for him he put the needle in no-one forced him,i apologise if ive offended you but with a bro for a garda and through my own experience i only see/hear the bad side and i do believe that you see the good side also im not sure and hopefully you can clarify this but through programs like your own heroin addiction is down true?

I'm not sure what your asking, but some people turn their lifes around, some reduce the amount the use to just being dole day users some just use the programmes to carry on doing what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I always assumed that it was the same as everywhere else some people sound some not.
    However I did meet this guy in a hostel one time and he was from Tallaght. What an absolute tosser. kept following us around making stupid jokes and being really really loud and obnoxious. Wouldnt take a hint and f off. After reading some of this thread im kind of thinking they might all be like taht, is it true?

• Advertisement

Don't tell me you know bucko as well ,ffs I lived close to him and often saw him floating down to the shop.And you're right he's a fcuking scumbag.Too many stories about that fella to even get into here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement