Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

tempnam wrote: »
    We just left ours naked and put a load of newspaper on the floor - no need for half that stuff then!

That is a genius idea :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Nappies wipes and onesies. Can't go wrong. ( unless you get the wrong size). Good luck with the move. What part are you moving to?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is a genius idea :pac:

Just like bringing a puppy home for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Cheers for all the tips, think I will give the bundle a miss and pick up what we need as we go along.

Had the scan today and all is perfect happy days, they changed her due date to August 9th. Now roll on the next scan to find out the sex :).

beertons wrote: »
    Nappies wipes and onesies. Can't go wrong. ( unless you get the wrong size). Good luck with the move. What part are you moving to?

I think this was directed at me :o, at the moment looking at Monread just off the Naas Road I work in Tallaght so handy and herself doesn't drive at the minute so having a Mace, Butchers, Tesco, Aldi etc all close by and a nice area to go for walks when she is on maternity and I'm in work makes a lot of sense, plus the gym there looks good which is a bonus for me.

Not to familiar with Naas myself so any tips on what to avoid etc are always more than welcome :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Glad to hear the scan went well Marty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Congrats Marty, loooks like we'll be suffering around the same time...my wife is due end of July but it's our first as well so +/- 2 weeks on that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wifey due on Sunday for second baba, the waiting is killing me, can't concentrate in work at all. Waiting for her to call me and say ITS FINALLY BEGUN dun dun dunnnnnn!!
    Every day five different people ask me, any news yet?, inside i scream a little :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think reality hit home for me on Monday night when I found myself in Tescos looking at nappies wondering if I should get them in case Junior comes early:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think reality hit home for me on Monday night when I found myself in Tescos looking at nappies wondering if I should get them in case Junior comes early:D.

You should, newborns go through nappies like nobodys business, and all number twos...fun times! You dont want to be short of newborn (size 1) nappies when baba get home, thats the voice of experience talking!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

The only reason I didn't was that they said they were for upto 6kg only so I thought it would be better to wait and see how big he is before buying them. It was only later when I did the conversion in my head that I figured out it would be 1 huge baby if it's bigger than 6kg:D

On a related point does anyone know if things like nappies or other expensive consumable are significantly cheaper in England? I may be over there with the car in the next month or so and was thinking about filling it if there was a reasonable saving to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 alexuszane

Hey dads... my girlfriend and I found out on Saturday that she is pregnant, fairly unplanned but we're both happy bout it, still quite scared but it's good.

It's nice to.have a dad section here to see what other guys think.

Congrats to all of you guys and gals

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Our baby was due last Monday, but no sign so far (lazy, just like Dad :D). We have an appointment this afternoon where they might move things along a bit.

I'm quite nervous, but really can't wait for parenthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

TrueDub wrote: »
    Our baby was due last Monday, but no sign so far (lazy, just like Dad :D). We have an appointment this afternoon where they might move things along a bit.

Have tried all the usual stuff they tell you to do? My wife is due with our first in 5 weeks and reckon she'll go overdue as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Our son Sean arrived Sunday evening 7 days early. All well and sleeping on my shoulder as I type..

All happened very quickly. Waters broke at 3pm... Went to hospital after 7 and delivered at 8pm :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Have tried all the usual stuff they tell you to do? My wife is due with our first in 5 weeks and reckon she'll go overdue as well!

Some of it. No moves yet, back for another check on Thursday.

Most of that stuff is all old wives tales. When baby is ready they'll come, or they'll be evicted by medical help from the hospital!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

January wrote: »
    Most of that stuff is all old wives tales. When baby is ready they'll come, or they'll be evicted by medical help from the hospital!

Yeah true, don't think I've ever heard of any of those tricks actually bringing on labour for anyone!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Think most is a coincidence. However walking before your due really helps with labour. I recommend that highly

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

TrueDub wrote: »

Vindaloo. Failing that, get her on her knees scrubbing the floor. If that fails, at least she has cleaned the floor! Best of luck man.

just looking to get some viewpoints, as some ya already know the girlfriend is due August 9th the other night we were talking about christenings, I myself would not he a religious man in any shape or form neither would herself be.

I would like to not christen the child and although she is not religious herself she wants it christened not because she believes in it but because she thinks a child growing up may find it difficult in a country were being Catholic is so deeply ingrained. She's thinking off communions, confirmations, religious class etc would the child be singled out etc.

Just wondering has anyone got any views or experiences of it?

• Advertisement

Don't baptise... and if the time comes and the child wants to make his/her communion they can be baptised then.

Don't baptise... and if the time comes and the child wants to make his/her communion they can be baptised then.

That's my own personal view as well let the child decide there own religion if they want to be religious. Herself is just nervous thinks they could be bullied or feel left out.

How would people even know though... I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being bullied because they didn't get water poured over their head when they were a few months old. Do you think she's getting pressure from her parents to do it?

It is a real issue as most of the primary schools in this country still operate under a religious ethos. They are constantly exposed to religion with daily prayers and a large amount of learning time taken up by catechism. There are numerous threads on this issue in the religious/non fora so you might get more info there.
    Personally I would not be overly interested in baptising my baby but my wife wants it done and she is religious so I will go along with it for that reason.

How would people even know though... I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being bullied because they didn't get water poured over their head when they were a few months old. Do you think she's getting pressure from her parents to do it?

Exactly, I don't think she is getting pressure from her parents think it just a case of worrying to much to be honest thinking the child might feel left out and other kids might male a deal out of them not doing communion confirmation etc.

I'll have to try swing her round to my way of thinking and try ease her fears more I guess its not like she is a devout catholic herself or has strong beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

just looking to get some viewpoints, as some ya already know the girlfriend is due August 9th the other night we were talking about christenings, I myself would not he a religious man in any shape or form neither would herself be.

I would like to not christen the child and although she is not religious herself she wants it christened not because she believes in it but because she thinks a child growing up may find it difficult in a country were being Catholic is so deeply ingrained. She's thinking off communions, confirmations, religious class etc would the child be singled out etc.

Just wondering has anyone got any views or experiences of it?

Are you actually against it ? or just not arsed because your both not religious? It is a barrier to entry to some schools as you are aware if your in a area with dense population and few schools. The child might feel left out if it is a religious ethos school but they can make it at the time, my brother got baptised when he was 6.

I would maybe recommend a naming ceremony even if you don't do it after the baby is born as putting the religious stuff aside the baptism is good for the wider family to be introduced and welcome the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

We haven't baptised our Little One. Before we knew were expecting we had talked about Baptising. She was not for it at all but I was for the schooling reason. After much discussion we decided that we would not get any of our children baptised. Cut to 11th August last year and the Little One arrived. We have stuck with our decision despite some others wishes that we go to the local Church. We had thought about a naming day or the like but haven't gotten around to it really.

The way I look at the whole Baptism thing is: You (as the Parent) are making a commitment (contract) for your child with the Catholic Church. If you are going to do this you can't just pick and choose which elements of the Catholic Religion you are going to live by. If you are entering your child into any religion you must be willing to guide them in its rules and regulations.

Once I got this clear in my head it made it so much easier for me to come to terms with not getting out Little One baptised. And she doesn't seem none the worse for not having the ole holy water poured over her head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

lang wrote: »
    The way I look at the whole Baptism thing is: You (as the Parent) are making a commitment (contract) for your child with the Catholic Church. If you are going to do this you can't just pick and choose which elements of the Catholic Religion you are going to live by. If you are entering your child into any religion you must be willing to guide them in its rules and regulations.

Yep, that's pretty much how I feel. I'm not going signing my child up for life for something I don't even believe in!

You can always get baptised at any stage in your life ... you can't ever get "unbaptised" though, once it's done, it's forever.

My kid will get baptised if he chooses to himself, once he's old enough to make an informed decision. And he'll have my full support, if that day ever comes. It'll be his own choice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 R.P.McMurphy

Been invited to a stag 3 weeks after our baby is due. What our peoples opinions on this, too soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Hi Guys, first time dad here! my little girl is 5 months old now and doing great. Be good to chat to other fathers here.

Advertisement