Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joan Burton to increase tax on the Rich

Options
  • 29-05-2014 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Joan Burton to increase tax on the Rich if she becomes leader. But exactly who are the rich? Or exactly at what point of income to you become rich?

Wife and I earn 80K a year. So after USC, TAX, PRSI, Motor Tax, House Tax, TV TAX, etc.. I would say we would be lucky to take home about 45K. Minus Mortgage, food, kids expenses, ESB, Tel, heating the house, there really is not much left. Just about manage to pay private health insurance.

I got 2% pay rise this year, it added 25 euros to my net take home pay, because any money over 60K is taxed 42%+11%+4%. 58% deducted.

So who exactly is rich?

Define Rich 420 votes

30 to 50K
    0% 0 votes
    50 to 100K
    4% 18 votes
    100 to 300K
    9% 41 votes
    300 to million
    52% 220 votes
    The michael o'leary's and Co.
    33% 141 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Joan the Moan, if that witch is elected leader of the Labour Party they might as well just wind the party up because she will kill it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

The Catholic Church

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

Do you have a source for this?
    And since when does the leader of the junior coalition party decide tax policy?
    It's not the USSR, her aspirations are different from reality, a bit like Fr. Dougal I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

The Catholic Church

The bankers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I'd imagine she wants to go after the people with loads of money !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mezuzaj

Mr. Nice wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this?
    And since when does the leader of the junior coalition party decide tax policy?
    It's not the USSR, her aspirations are different from reality, a bit like Fr. Dougal I guess.

Its the headline in the indo online today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

You are. Compared to a couple both on minimum wage. Compared to Bono you're a poor person. But outliers like the super-rich don't factor into any statistical analysis done by governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Already posted about this on another thread but silly populist stuff from Bruton. There is an angry electorate out there but spewing failed policy at them isn't going to swing it.

Maybe she should look to France before throwing this stuff around.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-28/hollande-tax-increases-yield-desperately-weak-consumer-demand.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

About three fiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

The 'rich' already pay practically the entire tax intake, why penalise them any more? Typical Labour nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Joan the butcher burton

Will she be taxed herself, the thick cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

Whoever voted Mary Hanniffan.
    They must have no worries whatsoever.

Mr.David wrote: »
    The 'rich' already pay practically the entire tax intake, why penalise them any more? Typical Labour nonsense.

Exactly.. I suppose if you are making a couple of million, whats 2 or 3 hundred K less in tax. But the number of people early more than 500K in Ireland is pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Will she be taxed herself, the thick cnut.

I reckon 40 quid tax on each fat Garthy ticket would help raise some much needed funds for the country .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Auction politics, we have completed the circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Tubirdy won't like to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She's like robin hood, steals from the working and gives to the not working. Heartwarming stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Great - another plan to take from the workers and give to the idle. Nothing new from the Labour party then.

Great - another plan to take from the workers and give to the idle. Nothing new from the Labour party then.

It's a great inducement to work isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Voting Burton as leader in the hope she improves the fortunes of the Labour Party would be like choosing a turkey to organise Christmas.

I reckon 40 quid tax on each fat Garthy ticket would help raise some much needed funds for the country .

Ah now. I paid enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Mr.David wrote: »

Actually the real rich pay bog all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Why do you have upper ranges in each of your poll options Op? Doesn't really make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

mezuzaj wrote: »
    Joan Burton to increase tax on the Rich if she becomes leader. But exactly who are the rich? Or exactly at what point of income to you become rich?

Wife and I earn 80K a year. So after USC, TAX, PRSI, Motor Tax, House Tax, TV TAX, etc.. I would say we would be lucky to take home about 45K. Minus Mortgage, food, kids expenses, ESB, Tel, heating the house, there really is not much left. Just about manage to pay private health insurance.

I got 2% pay rise this year, it added 25 euros to my net take home pay, because any money over 60K is taxed 42%+11%+4%. 58% deducted.

So who exactly is rich?

Perhaps you could earn more money if you invested in an adult literacy course because she quite clearly stated that she didn't want to increase tax rates.

What she said is no different to all the other left wing politicians who like to talk about closing off numerous unspecified tax breaks but yet somehow don't achieve anything in office.

Yeah but she wont go after the real rich becuase they have fancy accountants, she'll go after the middle income chumps working themselves half to death.

Thats True, if you have a billion in assets, you effective tax is small. If you have invested in shares, you only pay tax on the gains, when you sell or on dividends. The reality is that the Rich don't HAVE to sell, they choose when and how much income to take.

Also in Ireland the really rich are not that many, We don't have thousands of Multi millionaires. Dublin does not have a chelskey Russian Billionaire row.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

well it must be E32,800 exactly, that is when they confiscate over half of your earnings, at a rate of 52%. I doubt FG will have any of it and quite rightly. She can f**k right off and sort out the billions in government waste and reform welfare.

mezuzaj wrote: »
    Exactly.. I suppose if you are making a couple of million, whats 2 or 3 hundred K less in tax. But the number of people early more than 500K in Ireland is pretty small.

Actually that's not correct. If Thomas Picketty is correct and Ireland has the same ratio of wealth to GDP as other capitalist countries then wealth here is 600% of GDP. Earning about 30% of the countries income. The problem is the much misnamed income tax, which is a wage tax.

• Advertisement

Yeah but she wont go after the real rich becuase they have fancy accountants, she'll go after the middle income chumps working themselves half to death.

Yeah. True dat.

Advertisement