Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 dead in Californian Shooting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

I reckon most bullied kids think about killing their bullies, but not all of them have access to guns. I have been watching CNN all night and they mentioned he bought the guns himself and they are registered in his name - you cannot do this in Ireland. We simply do not have a problem with civilians shooting-up public areas.

I reckon our bullied kids in Ireland just commit suicide. Killing a load people with a knife is a lot of hassle and then trying to commit suicide afterwards to escape prison is too much hassle. Instead, they just kill themselves to escape the bulling.

Immortality i think is one of the attractions in america,this kid has released videos also wrote a sort of auto-biography,so he will get noticed he will get fame in death so many of them are after this attention in america .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I reckon most bullied kids think about killing their bullies, but not all of them have access to guns. I have been watching CNN all night and they mentioned he bought the guns himself and they are registered in his name - you cannot do this in Ireland. We simply do not have a problem with civilians shooting-up public areas.

I reckon our bullied kids in Ireland just commit suicide. Killing a load people with a knife is a lot of hassle and then trying to commit suicide afterwards to escape prison is too much hassle. Instead, they just kill themselves to escape the bulling.

People kill themselves in the US because of bullying too. There's something else that causes some people to act out and kill people who have never harmed them in any way. It's not just the presence of firearms because if it was it would have happened here at some point in the past even with the comparatively small number we have. You don't even see kids pushed to the point that they take a parent's firearm ala Adam Lanza. Some people in America seem to think that taking it out on others is the answer to your problems.

Nations like Switzerland and others have high firearms ownership rates but you never see anything on this scale happen. The answer is more complex than 'da gunz'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Blay wrote: »
    People kill themselves in the US because of bullying too. There's something else that causes some people to act out and kill people who have never harmed them in any way. It's not just the presence of firearms because if it was it would have happened here at some point in the past even with the comparatively small number we have. You don't even see kids pushed to the point that they take a parent's firearm ala Adam Lanza. Some people in America seem to think that taking it out on others is the answer to your problems.

Nations like Switzerland and others have high firearms ownership rates but you never see anything on this scale happen. The answer is more complex than 'da gunz'.

Blay do you think Aspergers had any role in what happened or is it being used as a smokescreen?

Blay do you think Aspergers had any role in what happened or is it being used as a smokescreen?

I won't pretend I'm qualified to answer that question..I've no idea. If it was only people with conditions such as Aspergers that did these shootings I'd say yeah but it's not.

You see other people that just seem to be tipped over the edge by stress or some perceived slight in the workplace/school etc. carry them out too.

I'm sure gun owners here in Europe have been slighted in work etc. or suffered stress/depression because of a marriage breakdown or such but they don't go to these extremes. Generally if they do anything with a gun..it's commit suicide. In the US by comparison, some people seem to prefer to commit suicide via a mass shooting for whatever reason.

I think as someone else said...these shootings have become so big now that they attract a lot of media attention and..imo anyway..people like this do it to get the attention in death that they never had in life.

The media definitely has a role in it, the gun laws in the US have always been loose, up until 1986 you could even purchase a new fully automatic rifle from a shop once you had the tax stamp, that's since changed...but even back then these shootings weren't happening on this scale.

There have always been shootings in the US; gangs etc. but it's only really since Columbine that the media have seized on these type of mass shootings in particular and they've given them a level of attention that they never had before and it's contributed to them becoming more frequent..imo anyway. The media coverage gives people with a grievance a chance to air it on national and even international television through these shootings.

The media even ranks them etc. like it's a contest or something. Then they name them too..James Holmes became the 'Batman killer/shooter' this lad has been branded the 'Hunger Games killer' or such by one newspaper headline I overheard on Sky News.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

People like to use these things for whatever issue they want to raise.

Some people say it's guns, some people violent video games, others that men are made violent, others blame the health care, the society of instant gratification, repeat ad naseum.

On a sidenote does anybody else think they should keep that video he made around? It's cringy, stupid and pathetic. People should see that he wasn't a devil, or an angel, and see that he was an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

We'll probably never know for sure. But watching his videos and looking at his writings, it does seem like his social deficits were a major contributor here. He didn't understand and couldn't relate to other human beings, and seeing women as objects rather than fellow humans was a major part of his problem. If he was less socially awkward, he'd probably still be screwed up inside, but maybe he wouldn't have snapped.

But most people I've known with autism spectrum disorders aren't like that. I think this guy had more wrong with him than that. If he was able to plan something like this over such an extended period of time, that's more what you'd expect from a sociopath. His self obsession was extremely narcissistic, and his thinking was highly delusional. Whatever was going on in his head, I think there was so much wrong with him that it was probably more than just one thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I don't understand why he had such hatred of the women who wouldn't sleep with him. The kid is blatantly gay, maybe that was his main issue, he just couldn't come to terms with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Birneybau wrote: »

Men that like women.....probably don't have such a hatred of women. He has said in the "manifesto" of rounding up all women into concentration camps and killing them, right?

Perhaps he was a woman-hating homosexual with a deep resentment for his sexuality?

• Advertisement

http://www.autismireland.ie/about-autism/what-is-aspergers/

Aspergers is not a joke, it's not makey uppy condition you know. It can be extremely difficult for someone with Aspergers to relate to others and this is a lifelong struggle for those affected.

Questions need to be asked as to why he was allowed to legally purchase a gun in the first place. Isnt there a psych evaluation and medical history and background check prior to any purchase?

I understand that if he really wanted a firearm he could get it one way or another but buying one legally shouldn't have been so easy. Has the system also failed the innocents that died yesterday?

Questions need to be asked as to why he was allowed to legally purchase a gun in the first place. Isnt there a psych evaluation and medical history and background check prior to any purchase?

No there's not. The police officers that met him at his parent's request said he said he seemed fine to them so a dealer wouldn't have noticed.

There's no psychological evaluation here either and while you have to put your doctor's details down; they never contact them.

Thanks Blay. Do you think there should be more checks before firearms are legally sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

UCDVet wrote: »
    Norway has a population of 5 million.
    The US state with the nearest population to Norway is Colorado with 5.2 million.

In the past 30 years, Colorado has had four 'major' shootings:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shootings_in_Colorado

Killing a total of 31 people.

In the past 30 years, I could only find mention of the 2011 Norway shootings. Killing a total of 77 people.

I couldn't find anything else. Finland, right nextdoor had more (but smaller) shootings. This article had a good overview - and it shows a good mix of US/non-US shootings.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/norway/8656775/Norway-shooting-incidents-from-the-past-20-years.html

At a glance, it seems pretty comparable.

It's also worth noting that 31 in the last 30 years out of a ~5,000,000 population is astronomically small. That's like an average of one shooting rampage death, per year, per 4-5 million people (population was smaller 30 years back, but let's keep it simple).

As horrible as these shootings are, even in gun loving America - you're more likely to die of a peanut allergy.

EU homicide death rates/100k highest is Lux with 0.6
    USA 3.6

6 times the highest EU rate, not comparable whatsoever

Norway was at 0.04 up to 2010 (Before brevik granted)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Self-absorbed little shìte that had his arse wiped for him by his parents his whole life. The whole video (terrible acting and dialogue) and "manifesto" was his aiming for immortality, that he provided enough material for films to be made about him.

Blaming society, or 'gun culture', or mental health or any of the rest of it is just looking for a way to explain this pricks behaviour other than just the simplest explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Quote:
    I never forgot. I never forgive. One day I'l show him how superior I am

Quote:
    my teenage years were completely denied to me by the cruelness of women

Quote:
    I passed a girl I thought was pretty and said "hi" as we neared each other. She kept walking and didn't have the grace to respond to me. How dare she! That foul bitch! I felt so humiliated that I went to the school bathrooms, locked myself in a toilet stall, and cried for an hour.

Obviously a looper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Didn't say they were. :confused:

Oh I meant to quote the person you quoted, sorry.

:o

Oh I meant to quote the person you quoted, sorry.

:o

That was me and that's not what I said either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Man shoots and kills six women because he thinks he's owed sex.

After Hours debates how it's the fault of US gun law and Aspergers.

And ye wonder why everyone thinks this forum's the noise forum.
    /facepalm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I feel so invisible as I walk through my college. Your revealing shorts, your cascading blonde hair, your pretty faces. I want one for a girlfriend.

This was pretty disturbing, particularly the "one" part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Sparks wrote: »
    Man shoots and kills six women because he thinks he's owed sex.

After Hours debates how it's the fault of US gun law and Aspergers.

And ye wonder why everyone thinks this forum's the noise forum.
    /facepalm

Eh there was male victims too. Yeah he obviously had no serious mental health issues and just hated women, nothing else at play. Well done on adding to the noise with your nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Lock Knife

This is what would have happened to sh1tbrick if he never slept with stiffler's mom

Davei141 wrote: »
    Eh there was male victims too. Yeah he obviously had no serious mental health issues and just hated women, nothing else at play.
    Horse****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Self-absorbed little shìte that had his arse wiped for him by his parents his whole life. The whole video (terrible acting and dialogue) and "manifesto" was his aiming for immortality, that he provided enough material for films to be made about him.

Blaming society, or 'gun culture', or mental health or any of the rest of it is just looking for a way to explain this pricks behaviour other than just the simplest explanation.

How do you know that??
    Massive assumption, Czarcasm.
    In my experience, the wealthier the parent(and by that I mean WEALTHY), the less involved they can be with the child both physically and emotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Let's hope everyone forgets this piece of ****'s name and/or just mocks the crap out of those videos.
    Anything that would deter any similar fools thinking this would be a good life choice.

Horse****.

Horse****? is that about the male victims or the obvious sarcasm? More noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Breivik's wasn't an autobography like this but had a lot of detail on his beliefs, his equipment etc.

It's hard to believe that someone that isn't the full shilling can have the presence of mind to write something like this. Whether this lad has invented a lot of this or it really happened, it's a lot of detail to go into when you're not 100% upstairs. He goes through his whole life pretty much..I can't remember what i did last week and I couldn't even be bothered to make up a story fo what I did if someone asked me.
    That was me and that's not what I said either.

Really? I don't mean to be pedantic about this but your aforementioned post certainly reads as if you think anyone who's mentally unstable can't also be intelligent to some degree. If I misinterpreted what you wrote, my bad, that's just how I read it.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Horse****? is that about the male victims or the obvious sarcasm? More noise.
    No, it's me saying your answer was horse****. The guy's a "Mens Rights Activist" eejit, he makes a video stating his motives, he goes off and murders six women, and you think gun policy or asbergers or the plot of the hunger games or some other ****e is the problem.
    Does the word Denial mean much to you?

No, it's me saying your answer was horse****. The guy's a "Mens Rights Activist" eejit, he makes a video stating his motives, he goes off and murders six women, and you think gun policy or asbergers or the plot of the hunger games or some other ****e is the problem.
    Does the word Denial mean much to you?

Denial? Says the guy shamelessly turning a tragedy into points scoring for your own stupid agenda. "Mens Right Activist" jesus you talk some serious rubbish. I guess he had no mental health issues at all? and i never mentioned guns so i don't know why you are bringing that up, nice straw men though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Smidge wrote: »
    How do you know that??
    Massive assumption, Czarcasm.
    In my experience, the wealthier the parent(and by that I mean WEALTHY), the less involved they can be with the child both physically and emotionally.

Seems as valid an assumption as any other really at this point Smidge. My point is that basically the only thing his parents couldn't give him, was the attention and validation he sought from everyone else. He was his parent's special little snowflake, and that instilled in him a sense that everyone else should care about him the same way they do without him having to do anything to earn their respect. The world doesn't work like that.

I don't think it had anything to do with wealth either, I think you'll find that it's more common among the most socially deprived in society that their children are more physically and emotionally neglected by their parents.

Advertisement