Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 dead in Californian Shooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

yes but the illegal gun sellers don't have to worry about those laws.

Illegal gun sellers don't worry about the law anywhere. How do you think criminals here get firearms?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 30 blackbaron

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    How many times does some unhinged nutcase need to shoot up a school before the US does something about its gun culture?

77 young people were murdered in one day in Norway in 2011.

How many more deaths does Norway need in order to do something about its gun culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Stress reduction techniques should be introduced into the education system to help students to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

You can tell he's desperately trying to portray himself as an evil villain with that faux-evil laugh he comes out with whenever mentions he's wants to annihilate someone.

If you Google his name, you'll find his Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Fairly forceful with the evil retribution monologue and cackles in the video, alright.

His father is a cameraman who worked on The Hunger Games film, this is the shooter with him at the premiere.

He talked about guys living a better life than him while he came from a fairly good background himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

kneemos wrote: »
    Or he's completely lost the plot.

No doubt, but it seems like he was acting out the part. I wonder how many of these people are playing the role for the notoriety. They want to be a character in their own drama to get attention?
    Don't they say the more these things are sensationalised the more others want the same notoriety? It's part of the reason I don't tend to give these stories, and the killer's videos, much time. This time curiosity got the better of me and I clicked.
    Maybe someone who knows about this sort of thing can explain the phenomenon to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

WTF? He is absolutely deluded. he has no idea how relationships work. He expects everything to fall into place just because he wants it and because other people are getting it. He's a spoilt self-entitled creep.

Some people's brains just function completely backwards

He acted like the pathetic little man he was too by doing a drive by instead of what he initially said he would. Not that it matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

He definitely spent 99% of that video with his focus firmly on how he would be seen afterwards and controlling that, rather than focused on any kind of genuine anger. I didn't really get a sense of anger at all, tbh. Surely someone would be seething as they discussed something which they were so angry over, that they were will to kill random strangers.

I'm obviously no criminal psychologist and so my opinion* is just that of an ordinary Joe here, but my call on this, is that this guy's real issues had nothing to do with not being able to pull women, but that he was in fact, a megalomaniac, who couldn't cope with the fact that he didn't have the power that he fantasized that he had / wanted to have. Compounded now doubt, by the fact that his father worked with, and no doubt respected greatly, people who did have that kind of power: celebrities.

I did watch all episodes of Cracker though, so surely that lends weight to my opinion.

The chap was obsessed with trying to get sex. What a gob****e reason to want to kill people.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ElliotRodger/videos

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Fairly forceful with the evil retribution monologue and cackles in the video, alright.

His father is a cameraman who worked on The Hunger Games film, this is the shooter with him at the premiere.

He talked about guys living a better life than him while he came from a fairly good background himself.

A director actually, assistant director of the hunger games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

kowloon wrote: »
    Finished it now, first time I've seen any of these vids (I gather there are a few). It really does look like something you would expect from a student film, like he's trying really hard to look like a villain, the fake evil laugh to go with it.

Agree. I have just looked at it now. I didn't see a tortured soul who craved acceptance or love or sex. He definitely looked like he was playing a part and "fake evil laugh" spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭AlwaysAnyTime

Why do serial killers love Phil Collins music so much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

blackbaron wrote: »
    77 young people were murdered in one day in Norway in 2011.

How many more deaths does Norway need in order to do something about its gun culture?

How often does this stuff happen in other industrialized nations?

How often does it happen in the US?

A quick comparison is all that is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Norway is famous for its massacres (in the 10th century)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

How often does this stuff happen in other industrialized nations?

How often does it happen in the US?

A quick comparison is all that is needed.

How many industrialised nations have the population of the US? You'd have to take the figures for shootings from most of the EU and compare it to the US for a fair comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

The chap was obsessed with trying to get sex. What a gob****e reason to want to kill people.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ElliotRodger/videos

And to get sex as if it was some sort of entitlement that the "sluts" were denying him. He couldn't just walk home from a failed move, crestfallen, with his heart like a stone in his shoes, like the rest of us have to. :mad:

Muise... wrote: »
    And to get sex as if it was some sort of entitlement that the "sluts" were denying him. He couldn't just walk home from a failed move, crestfallen, with his heart like a stone in his shoes, like the rest of us have to. :mad:

Oh no way, not in America where you have a BMW at 22 and live a priviliged, self-entitled life where you make videos claiming to be awesome and expect girls to fall to your feet. Absolute selfish dick head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Check out this one:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Check out this one:

"I take my usual walk at the golf course, while I explain how unfair my life has been."

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If this wasn't such a serious matter, those videos would seem like spoofs or parody or something. Jesus, poor sods. What a stupid waste of life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Blay wrote: »
    How many industrialised nations have the population of the US? You'd have to take the figures for shootings from most of the EU and compare it to the US for a fair comparison.

Norway has a population of 5 million.
    The US state with the nearest population to Norway is Colorado with 5.2 million.

In the past 30 years, Colorado has had four 'major' shootings:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shootings_in_Colorado

Killing a total of 31 people.

In the past 30 years, I could only find mention of the 2011 Norway shootings. Killing a total of 77 people.

I couldn't find anything else. Finland, right nextdoor had more (but smaller) shootings. This article had a good overview - and it shows a good mix of US/non-US shootings.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/norway/8656775/Norway-shooting-incidents-from-the-past-20-years.html

At a glance, it seems pretty comparable.

It's also worth noting that 31 in the last 30 years out of a ~5,000,000 population is astronomically small. That's like an average of one shooting rampage death, per year, per 4-5 million people (population was smaller 30 years back, but let's keep it simple).

As horrible as these shootings are, even in gun loving America - you're more likely to die of a peanut allergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nothing will ever change in America the pro 2A groups are too powerful .
    They will never allow any meaningful changes.

Sandyhook should have been a watershed moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Spoiled little ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

cloud493 wrote: »
    If this wasn't such a serious matter, those videos would seem like spoofs or parody or something. Jesus, poor sods. What a stupid waste of life.

Exactly. It's almost embarrassing watching these twits just sounding like hammed up villains from a parody of a bad movie. He comes across as a complete fool. Shame that they give guns to fools in America!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I was half expecting him to break into a speech about Huey lewis or Phil Collins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Exactly. It's almost embarrassing watching these twits just sounding like hammed up villains from a parody of a bad movie. He comes across as a complete fool. Shame that they give guns to fools in America!

The most deadly school massacre in US history didn't involve any guns.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

I know it's difficult to feel any sympathy for this young man (certainly not his victims) but he definitely comes across as seriously mentally ill. I don't think he's unattractive physically so it must have been his personality/attitude that stood in the way of making a relationship or friends. He seems to have lived a privileged lifestyle and that in itself (not trying to be facetious here) usually facilitates some kind of social coterie. Did no one in his family/school/college notice his mental health issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Teagwee wrote: »
    I know it's difficult to feel any sympathy for this young man (certainly not his victims) but he definitely comes across as seriously mentally ill. I don't think he's unattractive physically so it must have been his personality/attitude that stood in the way of making a relationship or friends. He seems to have lived a privileged lifestyle and that in itself (not trying to be facetious here) usually facilitates some kind of social coterie. Did no one in his family/school/college notice his mental health issues?

Can't say I've any sympathy for him, but I think he clearly has a mental health problem yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

If only someone had reached out to this young man. RIP to all dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

How many times does some unhinged nutcase need to shoot up a school before the US does something about its gun culture?

That's right, nothing at all to do with lousy mental health services or a culture of self-gratification at whatever the cost.

If he could not buy a gun in a shop, he would still have the same problems, and the result would be the same if he wanted to buy a gun legally or buy it illegally (or take action in some other way).

But well done on ignoring the actual issues he had that led to his planned actions.

Advertisement