Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Technicians Students

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Anyone else going on to Yr 2(or starting Yr1) through the ATI's Online Programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dyanne

Sarah33 wrote: »
    I am going into 2nd year in September. I am thinking about doing the practical as an external student. I am fairly confident on Sage and excel. I don't want to spend 1.5 hours each week in classtime doing stuff I already know how to do when I could just practice it at home myself. Just wondering does anyone have any experience of the practical element as a correspondence student - is it easy to follow etc?

Hi - I've just finished both years as an online student - for 2014, IAS was structured in a way that a tutorial was posted showing a particular task/element and you had to watch, then repeat on your own. In my opinion, this made it a lot more arduous and time consuming than if you were to do it in a class room, It appeared that many fellow online students failed their first attempt - although I'm sure they have tweaked the format as this year would have been a learning curve being the first.

Good luck

dyanne wrote: »
    Hi - I've just finished both years as an online student - for 2014, IAS was structured in a way that a tutorial was posted showing a particular task/element and you had to watch, then repeat on your own. In my opinion, this made it a lot more arduous and time consuming than if you were to do it in a class room, It appeared that many fellow online students failed their first attempt - although I'm sure they have tweaked the format as this year would have been a learning curve being the first.

Good luck

Thanks for that, IAS is the area i know the least about so hopefully its a bit better this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cmat

congrats all! just starting pity me! couple Q's
    IAT yr 1: got last years books from a friend but will buy current tax book but can i study from home myself and pay fees for reg, exam, yearly sub. im ringing in the morning and dont want to be caught buying all 4 books when there are no changes only in tax! where do i attend exams in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dyanne

As far as I'm aware, there is a correspondence option aswell as distance/online - you should call them and find out what will work best for you, just let them know that you have the books and so won't be needing them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

dyanne wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, there is a correspondence option aswell as distance/online - you should call them and find out what will work best for you, just let them know that you have the books and so won't be needing them all.

There is a correspondence option with McKeon Murray that is how I did first year last year.

They email you assignments and pre exams but little else beyond, personally I think the extra for the online option is worth it. It certainly is possible though and I guess it depends on how you learn best.

I found the knowledge point tutorials a great help, which is why I'm thinking the online will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

cmat wrote: »
    congrats all! just starting pity me! couple Q's
    IAT yr 1: got last years books from a friend but will buy current tax book but can i study from home myself and pay fees for reg, exam, yearly sub. im ringing in the morning and dont want to be caught buying all 4 books when there are no changes only in tax! where do i attend exams in Cork

I am asking the same question as you as it hasn't been answered. Is there any way around registering for a college/online/distance or otherwise? I just want to do the exam and I am happy and would prefer to study this on my own. My partner is already qualified so will be a big help.
    I just want to register for exam and pay annual sub but do not want to pay a college/course provider for something I will not use.
    The IATI just kept saying it is policy when I spoke to them, but if I just register for the exam, what's to stop me doing it?

I am asking the same question as you as it hasn't been answered. Is there any way around registering for a college/online/distance or otherwise? I just want to do the exam and I am happy and would prefer to study this on my own. My partner is already qualified so will be a big help.
    I just want to register for exam and pay annual sub but do not want to pay a college/course provider for something I will not use.
    The IATI just kept saying it is policy when I spoke to them, but if I just register for the exam, what's to stop me doing it?

Can you register for just the exams though?
    I don't know what their policy is in regards to only sitting their exams, I registered online for their online course for yr 2 and can't remember seeing any option for just taking their exams and not taking their lectures. Choosing where you want to sit the exams was part of the registration process but I had to select the subjects I wanted to do first. It seemed to be done as a package thing really, then got an email to say when the text books will be delivered.

I do remember having to show a letter from ATI and my ID to get into the exam hall for 1st yr exams. If theres not a way to book just exams and they don't send you the letter then I can't see how you can sit the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

wilddarts wrote: »
    Can you register for just the exams though?
    I don't know what their policy is in regards to only sitting their exams, I registered online for their online course for yr 2 and can't remember seeing any option for just taking their exams and not taking their lectures. Choosing where you want to sit the exams was part of the registration process but I had to select the subjects I wanted to do first. It seemed to be done as a package thing really, then got an email to say when the text books will be delivered.

I do remember having to show a letter from ATI and my ID to get into the exam hall for 1st yr exams. If theres not a way to book just exams and they don't send you the letter then I can't see how you can sit the exam.

You register to do the exams through the IATI NOT the college/course provider. The ATI not the college/course provider send you the exam info.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Best of luck with yr 2 Ladies and gents, Unfortunately my I didn't get into year 2 :(.

• Advertisement
Advertisement