Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Technicians Students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Law & Ethics on Wednesday....looking back at the compulsory questions and Money Laundering hasn't come up since Summer 11....it's only been a question once....perhaps this might come up on Wed!

I went through the past papers since 2010 and singled out the most commonly asked areas and came up with a plan to go back over chapters 3, 6, 7, 9, 11 to 14. Directors and Finance seem to be nearly guaranteed. A decent knowledge of 15, 16 and 17 should get good marks for the compulsory question. Trying to remember past cases and their years is a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 outeverynite

Nice one...thanks....will look over them chapters tonight and tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭hawaii501

How did people find MA today, made a mess of Q3 but think I did enough to scrape a pass as was unsure of Q6 part (c) and (d) Hopefully I'll just be repeating AFA(touch wood) as I thought the questions were very different to past papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

MA: Very very very long winded questions with many parts, each of them took me 30mins+ to complete. I had 5mins max left at the end of the exam to look back through the paper...
    I thought Q1 and Q3 were the easiest two on the paper. I made a mess out of Q2. It said in the notes budgeted fixed prod. o/h 500,000E based 80,000un per annum. So I went on and calculated OAR, divided 500,000/12 to get monthly fixed o/h, took the actual production in units to calculate actual o/h absorbed to figure out Under/Over absorption and then this third note threw me of course: it said "actual fixed prod. o/h was 45000E per month". So I didn't know which one to use, made two different calculations at the end... Then of course my net profits couldn't be reconciled to different closing inventory values but I had spent 45mins on that Q already, so I just left it there.
    Q6 was exactly like the Q in one of the Sample papers. I remembered looking at it on Sunday and thinking to myself "this is easy" and but during the exam I wasn't able to do part d)... easy my ar$e... minus 5 marks.
    I didn't do theory Q, which was it Q4 or Q5? I did the non-theory one. anyways I can't remember what it was about :D oh, just clicked here: FIFO LIFO AVCO - yeah, this was fine, just struggled a bit with the theory bit (hate all those advantages disadvantages...).
    I'm sure I'll score well in this one. but I wouldn't mind to repeat it either - it was my favorite subject this year. AFA - is a different story, even thought of it makes me shiver...

Did Q1 and Q5 relatively quick but just didn't know what to do at all on Q3(should have studied more) Think I did ok on Q2 and ok on Q6 for at least half marks so hopefully I did enough although if I've to repeat I'll definitely pass it l.
    I don't think anyone was happy with AFA, could be a lot of repeats.
    Think Tax went ok too, should have did enough to pass anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Just a question for those of you in second year - how are the exam results for ATI presented? Do you get a percentage mark for each subject and then an overall pass/merit whatever for the year?

yes, you get % for each subject and it will say merit, distinction etc somewhere there too. Online it shows your place among all the students in that year. I was #73 last year. I'd love to see how I've scored at each question in every subject but they don't provide this info even though they have it.

Law & Ethics on Wednesday....looking back at the compulsory questions and Money Laundering hasn't come up since Summer 11....it's only been a question once....perhaps this might come up on Wed!

Have you got this weeks lotto numbers aswell by any chance????????

• Registered Users Posts: 18 outeverynite

I'll look in the crystal ball and see what appears....ha, ha, ha! :-)

Lets say I was a happy bunny today with the compulsory question when I opened the paper...the rest well we'll have to see how it goes!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

hawaii501 wrote: »
    How did people find MA today, made a mess of Q3 but think I did enough to scrape a pass as was unsure of Q6 part (c) and (d) Hopefully I'll just be repeating AFA(touch wood) as I thought the questions were very different to past papers.

I made loads of mistakes due to time pressure The detail of the questions were set for a 3 hr 30 min exam in my opinion. I recognised some mistakes I made but had no time to go back over. Whilst we are doing year 2 for Tax And FA, the examiner for MA seems to take no account of this being a new subject for students.

• Advertisement

I think the MA syllabus is much smaller than Tax or FA. and it's much more interesting than the other two because it's something new. but I agree on the time pressure during exam. Questions were really long and required throughout thinking and loads and loads of writing. Even the easiest questions took me 30mins each because it's easy to make a stupid mistake and when you pay extra attention it really slows you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jasminej4

Hi everyone,

have year 1 exams coming up in August. Im absolutely terrified to be honest and I dont know where to start..... Any tips?

Also I hate touchpoint.... never seems to load ot takes forever.

Finally, where do I get past papers from?? Sorry to sound completely stupid but many thanks in advance...

jasminej4 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

have year 1 exams coming up in August. Im absolutely terrified to be honest and I dont know where to start..... Any tips?

Also I hate touchpoint.... never seems to load ot takes forever.

Finally, where do I get past papers from?? Sorry to sound completely stupid but many thanks in advance...

You should be able to download past papers for all 4 subjects from the ATI website under the Students section, then click Study Materials, and Past Papers. This years May exams should be there aswell by now.

Try using a different browser for Touchpoint, Ive used Chrome and Firefox for it with no problems. In Touchpoint you can access Knowledge Point where you can view recordings of lectures and notes from the ATI lectures held in Dublin. I found these to be very helpful revision the week of the exams. There should also be recorded workshops for tax and FA.

As for tips, I basically spent every spare minute practicing questions from the past papers. Then unfortunately the FA exam was nothing like any other past paper given so it felt like a bit of a waste of time. But the other exams were similar in format to their past exams, so was happy enuff with them.

I printed all past papers from 2010 onwards and went through what type of questions get asked most often, and most likely to be asked in May rather than August. Its a bit of a gamble but I think it worked out pretty well for me. I'll know next Monday if it paid off. Although I did try to cover all areas while revising but spent more time on the areas I thought would likely turn up.

Timing is important in the exam. You have an average of 1.8 minutes per mark. So theres no point spending half an hour wrecking your head over a 10 mark question. I wasnt stuck for time but I could see how easy I could get caught.

Other than that you should just relax before the exam, you'll be surprised how much info is in your head when the questions are in front of you.

Best of luck, hopefully I wont be resitting in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jasminej4

Wilddarts.... thank you so much for that.

Im sure you wont have to repeat any exams.

Thanks again and best of luck with results Monday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not looking forward to Monday one bit.

I'd rather know right now, the waiting is the worst.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wilddarts wrote: »
    I'd rather know right now, the waiting is the worst.

I'm screwed if I have to repeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Can anyone tell me the difference between an accounting technician and an accountant? Is the work different and what are the job opportunities like for each?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

I know the results aren't out til Monday but is anyone getting an error message when they click the link on the email from ATI for the results?
    It worked fine yesterday, message came up saying the results available on Monday but today when i click on it (i was trying to store the page on my phone for quick access!) it comes up saying:

EXAMINATION RESULTS
    One of your Registration Number, Examination Number or Date of Birth entries didn’t match, please check these details and re-enter

(or)

There are no exam results available for you in this session.

I've triple checked my registration number and exam number and i defo have them correct?!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I am & I'm not, terrified of the results but sick of waiting for them if that makes any sense?

Just want to know if I can relax for a few weeks before starting year 2 or if I need to prepare for repeats in August.

• Advertisement

so results are out! I've done quite well even surprised myself with AFA mark ;)
    2nd year: AFA 73%, ATX 83%, IAS 96% (what's that weighted mark about?), MA 81%, overall - distinction ;)

j@utis wrote: »
    so results are out! I've done quite well even surprised myself with AFA mark ;)
    2nd year: AFA 73%, ATX 83%, IAS 96% (what's that weighted mark about?), MA 81%, overall - distinction ;)

A clever clogs like you should be able to work out what a "weighted mark" is ;)

only joking, well done. Happy with my results overall, maybe hoped for slightly better mark in AFA.

ACCA? not sure I have the stamina or will to do it.

ps if 70% is the baseline pass mark for IAS and 50% the pass mark for other subjects, then the value of the 3 harder subjects to the overall score should not be diminished by rating % v % on all subjects the same(or something along these lines).

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Very happy with my results, much better than I expected.

No repeats to do and a result of distinction :-)

Happy to be able to relax slightly for a while.

Hope everyone else did ok.

Happy enough here aswell, got an overall distinction. I thought there was a post here about your results showing where you came overall out of all who sat the exams? I can't see anything like that on the results site or the results that came in the post. Anyone else get anything about it?

wilddarts wrote: »
    Happy enough here aswell, got an overall distinction. I thought there was a post here about your results showing where you came overall out of all who sat the exams? I can't see anything like that on the results site or the results that came in the post. Anyone else get anything about it?

I think they have to wait for any appeals etc before putting up final places.

Expected to fail AFA as I did not put much time into it and had a disaster of a day. but failed IAS, got 65 was disgusted that I've to repeat 2 now

log into your "touchpoint" on ATI website. placings are there already. #64 ;)

j@utis wrote: »
    log into your "touchpoint" on ATI website. placings are there already. #64 ;)

Well done. It's a pity they don't show a placing for each subject. or do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭~Trixiebelle~

Glad to see the majority passed year one. Well done all! :D I was delighted with receiving an overall distinction and feel blessed to place in the top 100 as I really felt I had done terrible, especially in the FA exam! I aim to be better prepared for year 2 and I wont start my study in April this time around!!:D Famous last words!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Sarah33

I am going into 2nd year in September. I am thinking about doing the practical as an external student. I am fairly confident on Sage and excel. I don't want to spend 1.5 hours each week in classtime doing stuff I already know how to do when I could just practice it at home myself. Just wondering does anyone have any experience of the practical element as a correspondence student - is it easy to follow etc?

Advertisement