Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Build Their Own Rifle Case?

Options
  • 17-07-2014 6:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Would you please post some images of the cases that ye've built yourself?

Also, I would be interested in the foam you used, custom fitted especially.

The case doesn't need to be pretty or have won awards. Just looking for ideas for something to house a long rifle.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I did a couple of years ago. Cannot find the pictures and i've since sold the gun with case. I'll get the lad to send me on some pictures, or post them himself.

Simple as they come but effective. 12mm marine ply, cut to size. Screwed together with a support brace inside where the handle will be mounted (ffor extra strength). Made it as long as i needed, but also deeper than most other cases. Used piano hinges and a small amount of chain link to hold the lid when opened. Used a leather handle i had sitting around, and then two coats of varnish. Finished it off with four clasps.

I used foam i had around the house. Two layers of 2 inch in the bottom and another in the lid. It left an inch gap between the foam but when the rifle was placed in the case, it's 3 inches wide, it was held tightly, but not so much i could not close the lid. Just used carpet adhesive (in a spray can) to hold the foam into the case and to stick them together.

It weighed a lot but as it's only function was to protect the rifle when in transit or on the line, carrying it for long distances was not an issue.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Got my mate to send on a picture of the case. So here it is.

picture.php?albumid=2367&pictureid=15221

Made a few small changes. I shortened it, and made it narrower to fit into his car, hence the reason the edges are not varnished. Other than that it still does the job. As said it won't win any awards, but it was never meant to be pretty just practical.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

r679213_5007288.jpg

He's gonna count to five, and he better have his bed back! ;)

It does look like it, but it kept this safe ........................

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4k8SwFE9LiyUJa3ARNt54tyAgObmoUEUdG35Xdgt-azutf5bARQ

.....................so coffin, case, whatever works :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Cass wrote: »
    It does look like it, but it kept this safe ........................

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4k8SwFE9LiyUJa3ARNt54tyAgObmoUEUdG35Xdgt-azutf5bARQ

.....................so coffin, case, whatever works :D

Can't argue with that ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement