Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    t really needs an overhaul anyway because the story from 1997 is not going to hold up (and even then square will want to 'anime it up' for current audiences.

It kind of annoys me when armchair developers think that development is just that simple.

FF7 is a huge game, even by modern standards (20 years later:eek:) so they have plenty of material to expand on.

I'd prefer a multi-part expansive game over a simple, re-dub/ graphical update that most other games get.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This isn't going to be like FFVII on the PS1 where the game was composed of a few barely textured gouraud shaded models and 320x240 tiled bitmaps at 256 colours. They are significantly expanding the game. Recreating a 3D Midgar that is more than 20 static 2D screens that you can walk around freely is going to take a hell of a lot more space and time to develop. Also they are updating the story (the scenario that is completed would be that) which is taking up a lot of time as well so it's not like the script and story are already complete. It really needs an overhaul anyway because the story from 1997 is not going to hold up (and even then square will want to 'anime it up' for current audiences.

It kind of annoys me when armchair developers think that development is just that simple.

What's this in response to?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What's this in response to?

People complaining that it won't fit on a one off release Bluray.

People complaining that it won't fit on a one off release Bluray.

I think people are complaining about the staggered multi-part release and that the Bluray discussion is just incidental. Separate releases is not the only logical result of the game exceeding the capacity of a Bluray - if indeed it even does so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not even sure who's agreeing with who, and some people seem to be agreeing with posts that are arguably stating the opposite of their own views.

Do people seriously think that the multiple releases are down to storage limits on blu ray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Varik wrote: »
    Do people seriously think that the multiple releases are down to storage limits on blu ray?

No, but the way SE are talking the remake is too big to release as one complete package. To big as in as in how is another question.

To big that they want €180 for it instead of €60 as they feel it's worth more than a standard game? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I dont want to fully expore midgar, its a shithole :(

The game didnt get great until they left midgar, why would they think spending 40+hours there would be a good idea?? :mad:

nix wrote: »
    I dont want to fully expore midgar, its a shithole :(

The game didnt get great until they left midgar, why would they think spending 40+hours there would be a good idea?? :mad:

I actually thought the whole world was covered in a Midgar-like city when I first played it. I was fairly disappointed that it reverted to standard JRPG stuff from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

No, but the way SE are talking the remake is too big to release as one complete package. To big as in as in how is another question.

To big that they want €180 for it instead of €60 as they feel it's worth more than a standard game? Who knows.

I guessed 2-3 games but I doubt they'll do more than 2.

Personally I think we're getting a game in 2-3 years and then conclusion in a slightly shorter time frame 1-2 years. Thinking the second game will a lot quicker after the initial release as people will be moved over to it as soon as they're free.

If they ask for €60 and then it's 1+ year plus later for another €60, I don't mind it too much and if someone wanted to wait they'll likely get a nice discount on the original release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Any excuse on 'too big' is bs. It's all to milk as much $$$$ out of it as a last hurrah.

Too big - use more discs.

Too big scale-wise aka long dev - Look at ffXV, a good 10 years in the making.

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Too big scale-wise aka long dev - Look at ffXV, a good 10 years in the making.

I suspect that's exactly why they're making this move. There's probably war as SE about the sums of money that have gone into that with no return yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I think there is also the very real threat that FF7 fandom which massively supported SE was in danger of starting to die off. It's no secret that the diehard fans have started to become less and less vocal and there is less collective frenzy over this once golden franchise. Announcing the remake at this point very much strikes me as "lets get the customers crazy about us again" and this will only work if they can follow up quickly. A remake trailer followed by a large gap in time (like The Last Guardian for example) would probably make far less money.

So yeah.....it's all about the money :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

RedXIV wrote: »

It's always all about the money.

Hope you're right about the release date. I remember the FF15 Noctis trailer back in 2012 and nothing really came of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

RedXIV wrote: »
    I think there is also the very real threat that FF7 fandom which massively supported SE was in danger of starting to die off. It's no secret that the diehard fans have started to become less and less vocal and there is less collective frenzy over this once golden franchise. Announcing the remake at this point very much strikes me as "lets get the customers crazy about us again" and this will only work if they can follow up quickly. A remake trailer followed by a large gap in time (like The Last Guardian for example) would probably make far less money.

Yea. This. I'd given up even checking out FF since 12, to me 10, 10-2 and 12 were awful. Couldn't tell ya what has come after but I was just thinking earlier I must look and see.

7 Fever is setting in.

Though I wanted a remake with a few tweaks/tidy ups. This is turning into a new game with old friends, maybe their will be enough old with the new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually thought the whole world was covered in a Midgar-like city when I first played it. I was fairly disappointed that it reverted to standard JRPG stuff from then on.

Have to agree and it seems to be the common consensus as well. Midgar was excellent, a mix of adventure game elements and RPG in a setting that felt alive and had great humour as well. The game dies a bit for me one you leave Midgar and it becomes a standard JRPG and loses its pace. The locations just aren't as interesting and it tries to do the whole dragon quest thing of each town having a story but the writing isn't as strong so it falls down a bit. It's also where the game gets quite schizophrenic since the game was meant to take place only in Midgar for the longest time and locations seem to be only used because it's what they made on the rendering farms and they had to use it or it would be a massive waste. There's really no other RPG like the time you spend in Midgar other than Parasite Eve which came about due to wanting to make FF7 a 15-20 hour RPG set in a city.

Have to agree and it seems to be the common consensus as well. Midgar was excellent, a mix of adventure game elements and RPG in a setting that felt alive and had great humour as well. The game dies a bit for me one you leave Midgar and it becomes a standard JRPG and loses its pace. The locations just aren't as interesting and it tries to do the whole dragon quest thing of each town having a story but the writing isn't as strong so it falls down a bit. It's also where the game gets quite schizophrenic since the game was meant to take place only in Midgar for the longest time and locations seem to be only used because it's what they made on the rendering farms and they had to use it or it would be a massive waste. There's really no other RPG like the time you spend in Midgar other than Parasite Eve which came about due to wanting to make FF7 a 15-20 hour RPG set in a city.

Cannot agree with this at all.

Lol the first town you head to is kalm and it drives straight into Clouds memories of Sephorith.....

Cosmo Canyon

Rocket Town

Gold Saucer

Just to name a few epic locations off the top of my head. All with excellent stories within them

Derp

0057-Midgar.png

I still liked the rest of the game, but the world map was ugly as hell. The still renders were great throughout.

ff7_overworld.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Lol the first town you head to is kalm and it drives straight into Clouds memories of Sephorith.....

Cosmo Canyon

Rocket Town

Gold Saucer

Just to name a few epic locations off the top of my head. All with excellent stories within them

Junon stands out as well, especially with the weapon attack. That blew me away when I was young.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Cosmo Canyon

Rocket Town

Gold Saucer

None of which come close to Midgar, except Junon which I really enjoyed when I played through the fan translation.

Most of those are just standard towns with a few houses and shops, maybe a dungeon, standard JRPG stuff. As for Kalm, it's a very standard RPG town and what you said about it is a flashback sequence, nothing to do with the actual town.

I never enjoyed cosmo canyon. I liked the observatory parts but the dungeon was one of the worst in the game and Red XIII's story is very lame.

And don't get me started on Gold Saucer and it's awful minigames (although the date is a standout moment).

Anyway the whole structure of the game just turns into standard JRPG fare once you leave midgar, just going from town to town.

Think you a minority with you opinion which i totally disagree with.

First time you head to Gold saucer it goes through story about Barretts friend Dyne

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I didn't know there was such dislike for FF7's over-world; it was more than a little jarring when you breached the outer walls of the grubby, dark Midgar, only to find yourself surrounded by lush green plains, but the other towns had plenty of personality. Gold Saucer and Junon were two highlights for me; the latter in particular as it also contained some of the more memorable, inventive set-pieces. It may not have strayed too far from the JRPG template, but of all the praise heaped on FF7 I've never seen it suggested that the game re-invented or revolutionised the genre all that much.

It's not so much hate, just disappointment since the game was so good in Midgar and then becomes quite safe once you hit the overworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I haven't been getting much gaming in lately but gave it a quick go. Couldn't believe when the first time someone died in battle and stayed dead for the next one. Current gen has me ruined with regenerating help. Will need to play this properly over Christmas. Man the memories came flooding back, can't wait to get prorper stuck into it.

It's not so much hate, just disappointment since the game was so good in Midgar and then becomes quite safe once you hit the overworld.

Safe how?

Vicxas wrote: »
    Safe how?

I presume he means 'safe' as in formulaic - following the pattern of the JRPGs that came before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Vicxas wrote: »
    Safe how?
    As in, just grab a chocobo and traverse the world without a fight yo!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Rgb.ie wrote: »

Amazon always put placeholder dates up for games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Amazon always put placeholder dates up for games.

No, its true.:mad::o

• Advertisement

No, its true.:mad::o

I was always expecting a 2017 release anyway, so this doesnt bother me as much.

Advertisement