Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Architect Discussion

Options
  • 24-07-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭

It appears us Prison Architect lovers addicts are starting to hijack the Steam Summer Sale thread so it was recommended starting a separate thread so we could leave the rest of ye alone! :D

For those of you who don't have it: Prison Architect on Steam

Yes it is slightly expensive for a game that's in Alpha but trust me it's VERY addictive and you will get your money's worth from it! :D

Here's a taster of some of the in game madness:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

My new desktop background. :D

wa6t.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm beginning to regret not getting this in the steam sale. Damn you to hell boards!:mad:

Jernal wrote: »
    I'm beginning to regret not getting this in the steam sale. Damn you to hell boards!:mad:

Yeah, besides minecraft (when it was new), this is one of the most addicting games I have played in a long long time.

Ohh quick question. Do you ever manage to feed all prisoners? The closest I've gotten is like 75%. It's mostly around 50%. Not sure if it's a bug or I don't have enough benches/cooks/serving trays.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Ohh quick question. Do you ever manage to feed all prisoners? The closest I've gotten is like 75%. It's mostly around 50%. Not sure if it's a bug or I don't have enough benches/cooks/serving trays.

It's probably prisoners withholding food from other prisoners. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Maybe give them an extra hour eating time and install another cooker.
    Im still experimenting with everything, my first prison is still my most successful and i completely took the piss and tried out everything with it.

Jernal wrote: »
    It's probably prisoners withholding food from other prisoners. :cool:

Their giving away their fry because they're being extorted :P
    Better send in the riot squat to do a bit of a shake-down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

started off with 8 (i think) prisoners, 2 escaped others got released. now only have 1 left and for some reason im not getting any new prisoners they just drive by. might be a bug so i think ill start from scratch, really enjoying it though.

mailrewop wrote: »
    started off with 8 (i think) prisoners, 2 escaped others got released. now only have 1 left and for some reason im not getting any new prisoners they just drive by. might be a bug so i think ill start from scratch, really enjoying it though.

If it's bug report it so hopefully in a few months time others won't be facing the same situation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

My new desktop background. :D

Haha I LOVE it! You know you're addicted to something whn you change your desktop background/wallpaper to it! :L :P

Maybe try go into your report book, click on the prisoner tab and close the prison to normal prisoners and switch it to allow maximum security or minimum security prisoners in to see if it accepts them then? Oh also, make sure you have a delivery area set near the road because that's where they need to be dropped!

• Advertisement

I've had this problem, not with prisoners but with food/objects. Did you move the deliveries and garbage plots? I've noticed that if you move these sections to, lets say, the middle of the overall plot, the trucks just keep driving on by.

I had this problem with a prison that I spent nearly 2 hours planning out. Had to end it because I couldn't fix it. My OCD kicks in everytime I start a new prison and realise that the entrance is not in the centre.

Just noticed reddit have a great prisonarchitect subreddit too. Found this video there. I think it's the developers talking about the recent patch. Alpha 11.

Another question: Do you guys have any problems getting the game into full screen. Mine seems to always be in a window.

Another question: Do you guys have any problems getting the game into full screen. Mine seems to always be in a window.

Mines always been full screen.
    Is anyone constantly having problems with the workshops? The jobs are queued but the prisoners stand around doing nothing, when i try re deploy them nothing seems to happen

Under graphic settings, do you have the 'Windowed' option unchecked and your resolution set to match your monitor?
    Is anyone constantly having problems with the workshops? The jobs are queued but the prisoners stand around doing nothing, when i try re deploy them nothing seems to happen

Have you set their regime to include work? You can do so by clicking underneath your game clock.

Yea everything seems to be set up for them to work but they just refuse to. I think its a bug but there doesn't seem to be a way to fix it within a save

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Try adjusting your screen resolution under the graphics settings

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Did anyones prison go on fire yet? Only mad to use the hose on the fire trucks :P

Yea everything seems to be set up for them to work but they just refuse to. I think its a bug but there doesn't seem to be a way to fix it within a save

Has the sheet metal been delivered?

Has the sheet metal been delivered?

Yea, the jobs are queued up to go but the prisoners just stood there and one of them decided to start a fight. I tried re deploying the prisoners but now theres no one even showing up for the work time and the old jobs are still queued to be done

shaneb92 wrote: »
    Did anyones prison go on fire yet? Only mad to use the hose on the fire trucks :P

Mine caught fire after some prisoners destroyed the toilets and the wires got wet. Try running a few electrical cables through the shower and see if anything happens :D

• Advertisement

I think I might be still in alpha 10. I can't get riot guards.

Ohh and I fixed the resolution issue. It's working now, full screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

How do you set up patrols for guards? I have deployment enabled through the Bureaucracy screen, and I'm able to drag out paths made of square dots that "should" be their patrol route, but no guards follow it. Do I have to have a guard selected before drawing up the patrol route or what?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've come across a few bugs, but not nearly as many as I'd have expected from a game in Alpha. :P

Perhaps the biggest one is that even when you turn the Fog of War setting off, it's still enabled, not a biggie, but annoying.

The only one I've gotten that actually affected gameplay was my workmen refusing to lay one piece of electrical cable to connect up part of my holding cell building. I had to lay another piece further along just to get them out with the spools. :P

Question: Is there a more efficient way to get people through doors? At the moment my cooks have to go through 4 jail doors to get to the delivery area (door from the kitchen to canteen, canteen to corridor, corridor to outside, then through the main gate of the prison. Each time a guard has to leave where he is to open it up for them, which adds about 5 seconds to each door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

I've had this problem, not with prisoners but with food/objects. Did you move the deliveries and garbage plots? I've noticed that if you move these sections to, lets say, the middle of the overall plot, the trucks just keep driving on by.

I had this problem with a prison that I spent nearly 2 hours planning out. Had to end it because I couldn't fix it. My OCD kicks in everytime I start a new prison and realise that the entrance is not in the centre.

started a new prison and its all working now but after reading your post i think i built a fence through the delivery and garbage plots, when i deleted the fence i think it messed up the plots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Question: Is there a more efficient way to get people through doors? At the moment my cooks have to go through 4 jail doors to get to the delivery area (door from the kitchen to canteen, canteen to corridor, corridor to outside, then through the main gate of the prison. Each time a guard has to leave where he is to open it up for them, which adds about 5 seconds to each door.

Where possible, I use staff doors. If not possible, ie I should use a jail door, I set it to "locked open" if possible - obviously there'll be some where this just isn't possible, like the front gate. :pac: But if you leave some locked open, you can still override that setting by hitting the lockdown button in the lower right, in the event of a riot or whatever.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Where possible, I use staff doors. If not possible, ie I should use a jail door, I set it to "locked open" if possible - obviously there'll be some where this just isn't possible, like the front gate. :pac: But if you leave some locked open, you can still override that setting by hitting the lockdown button in the lower right, in the event of a riot or whatever.

Maybe I'm just mistrusting of my prisoners...

though if ever I needed vindication that keeping all doors locked down was a good idea, one of my cooks just gave it to me... he came back in and dropped a box of food in the main doorway of the prison! If my prisoners hadn't been locked in their cell or the canteen they'd have easily ran out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

This looks interesting, I've been waiting a LONG time for something that could be as addictive as theme hospital.

21 quid for a buggy alpha though? I don't think so.

Elessar wrote: »
    This looks interesting, I've been waiting a LONG time for something that could be as addictive as theme hospital.

But that just gives you access to the fun of the buggy Alpha right now and then the Beta and actual game, so it's not JUST the buggy Alpha. You probably know this already but still just saying :P

Elessar wrote: »

Its still a great game and buying it now will be cheaper than the full version.
    Theres not that many bugs, its mainly just stripped down with more features being constantly added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I'm having serious craic playing P.A. lately! Made four failed attempts at a decent prison before I've finally got it right! Holding 20 off at the min, and most needs are meet. I've run out of money to finish it off though, with is a bit annoying. Will probably let it run for an hour when I'm AFK and just let the money build for a while.
    On another note, does anyone know of any decent mods for the game? I was hoping the workshop would have some, but seems to be just other users prisons!

Advertisement