Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great Western Greenway (Newport to Mulranny)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

U have it in one there, speaking to a mate about it and he said Galway could do with something similar.
    It really promotes a bit of exercise. As long as they are maintained then it will work out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Tech3 wrote: »
    More of these greenways should be built throughout the country. We have many rail lines that are never going to be used again which would bring tourists in of we made them greenways.

Agree with you 100%. The benefits of thigs like this are enormous to all of us.

Health & Tourism being the main and the general well being.

Every County council in Ireland and large urban centre should investigate these oppertunities fully. I would think a cost benefit analys of this would way heavily in favour of them being been expanded.

While the one in Mayo caters for a beautiful part of our coastline with a great history we should be looking at having them run along riverbanks, They Moy cycle way, Shannon Cycle way, Liffey Cycle ect. There would be an oppertunity for small communities to maintain their shops and coffee shops along a route, not to mention B & Bs. Cycling weekends could then be moved around the country so you could Mayo this week end, Kerry another and so on. If somewhere like Westport were to be used as a base you could have a very good loop going via Louisburg to Leenane and back probably about 70km but this is where the week end cycling can come in and B&B and hotels get people in. You could have a similar loop north of Westport or Up at Belmullet each county could identify 4 or 5 cycle ways and if possible link them up to spread the benefits around.

County councils had no problem putting in place C.P.Os when they needed them and the same should be done here. Its not as if we are talking about hundreds of acres more like a 10ft track.

Its a win win for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

yop wrote: »
    As long as they are maintained then it will work out well.

yeah, cycled it a few weeks ago and it was nice easy day.... once the maintenance is regular and dedicated it should be a great long-term facility ....and I heard someone on the radio yesterday say that the westport and keel sections are opening soon... :pac:

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

jkforde wrote: »
    yeah, cycled it a few weeks ago and it was nice easy day.... once the maintenance is regular and dedicated it should be a great long-term facility ....and I heard someone on the radio yesterday say that the westport and keel sections are opening soon... :pac:

its going no where near keel. it doesn't even make it on to Achill island itself. The original line stopped just before the bridge but the cycle stops a few 100ms back from the old station as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

irishgeo wrote: »
    its going no where near keel. it doesn't even make it on to Achill island itself. The original line stopped just before the bridge but the cycle stops a few 100ms back from the old station as far as i know.

It used to be a fully functioning railway, I suppose they call it progress in this country

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Yes Yos Sam it was indeed a fully functioning railway from about 1895to 1937, but was discontinued due to competition from motor traffic. It las derelict for decades until MCC with cooperation of local groups and present owners of the former railway line installed this track. Congrats to th em all, and it is indeed progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

I see it already mentioned that people did not find the route signs good. The route really was disappointing. Arrived with Family and small kids, we rented bikes and carriage for the 2 young kids in newport. We were told where the route starts not too far from the rental shop... OK yes the route start was not far.. but the route crosses the busy road and other roads with cars along the way.

We were told that half way there was a restaurant. We arrived to KM 9 and sure enough there was a sign for Nevins 100m..100m.jpg. Yes not too far.

Then we turned and went up a hill to find this sign

1KM 1KM.jpg

OK, if I were walking on my own I am fit enough to go the KM, But when you have 2 small kids in a carriage it was not easy to get up the hill in the 1st place and the sign was very misleading. Also you come out onto a main road before you arrive to restaurant. (we didn't go)

I don't want to paint a bad picture of the Path, It is a great asset to tourism, but it was not what I expected and really not suitable for families with small kids (no covered rest points on the route, no facilities, ect..) Its NOT a 100% off road cycle path.

Maybe if we were told beforehand exactly what the route is like and warned about the road crossings, the gates (it was a nightmare having to manouvre the bick carriage) and the Sheep droppings then I would have gone better prepared and with correct expectations.

These would be my recommendation :-

1. Dedicated Cycle path from Newport, (it is dangerous the bend from the down to the start of the part)

2. Traffic Lights on the path Crossing, there are NO caution, or stop signs and the cars pass at 100kms.

3. When the path breaks to cross a road... Clear Signs where the path starts again.

4. I like the benches, But some shelter along the route would be good. We used the bridges when it starter to Rain.

5. Charge for usage. A 1 euro fee would not hurt anyone and could be used to fund the maintenance and upkeep of the ways. Many trails around europe charge a small fee to enter them.

6. Detailed map. The map we were given at the rental shop did not explain the dangers that a family could face on the route.

7. Nevins sign need to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

nuac wrote: »
    Yes Yos Sam it was indeed a fully functioning railway from about 1895to 1937, but was discontinued due to competition from motor traffic. It las derelict for decades until MCC with cooperation of local groups and present owners of the former railway line installed this track. Congrats to th em all, and it is indeed progress.

Tearing up infrastructure is progress? Another total waste of money by the clowns in MCC. It should have been reinstated and a tourist train operated from Westport to Achill which would have brought in millions in revenue, what we have now is banana chomping cyclists who would not leave the steam of their piss in the area inspired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Tearing up infrastructure is progress? Another total waste of money by the clowns in MCC. It should have been reinstated and a tourist train operated from Westport to Achill which would have brought in millions in revenue, what we have now is banana chomping cyclists who would not leave the steam of their piss in the area inspired

A vintage tourist train would have been great.. But even better would have been to develop a Walking/Cycling route + train.

Anyway I think its good there is something, instead of a track with weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

The Ennis-Athenry section of the WRC cost 3 million per mile to reinstate. The Claremorris-Collooney section was estimated at 6 million per mile. Still think it would have been a good idea to reinstate? We cant make a profit on our commuter routes but this tourist line that would probably cost over 100million to build would generate millions in revenue? How exactly? Why not run a tourist bus from Westport to Achill if there are so many potential tourists, the bus can take the ones unable or too lazy to cycle. The Greenway is a fantastic addition to the West of Ireland, fair play to MCC and everyone involved. It restores my faith in this country a little.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It should have been reinstated and a tourist train operated from Westport to Achill which would have brought in millions in revenue...
    Better yet, a high-speed electric monorail. With lasers.

Yos Sam, I don't think a viable business case could be made for restoration of rail services Westport-Achill. Possible volumes even at peak tourist season too small.

The present Greenway use is bringing a lot of tourism spend into the area - those who use the Greenway buy a lot more than bananas.

It is a very successful project - congrats again to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

alex73 wrote: »
    These would be my recommendation :-

1. Dedicated Cycle path from Newport, (it is dangerous the bend from the down to the start of the part)

2. Traffic Lights on the path Crossing, there are NO caution, or stop signs and the cars pass at 100kms.

3. When the path breaks to cross a road... Clear Signs where the path starts again.

4. I like the benches, But some shelter along the route would be good. We used the bridges when it starter to Rain.

5. Charge for usage. A 1 euro fee would not hurt anyone and could be used to fund the maintenance and upkeep of the ways. Many trails around europe charge a small fee to enter them.

6. Detailed map. The map we were given at the rental shop did not explain the dangers that a family could face on the route.

7. Nevins sign need to be corrected.

1. Where were you cycling, on the road or on the footpath? There is a wide footpath that runs from the petrol station (and beforehand) the 1km out to the beginning of the Greenway so cyclists do not need to be on the road at all.
    2. Agreed, although the crossing is at a straight stretch of road with drivers being able to see cyclists crossing from both sides and vice versa.
    3. Better signing perhaps although I have no idea how anyone could get lost on the route, it is pretty obvious that the Greenway runs parallel to the main road.
    4. Agreed, as long as it was sympathetic to the surrounding landscape/greenway.
    5. No way to enforce this, in any event I would be against a charge even though it wouldn't bother me paying it.
    6. Dangers??? There is one place where you have to cross the main road and one hill, that's about the only 'dangers' I can come up with. You make it out to be riddled with danger, totally over the top imo.
    7. Perhaps, although I've never found it difficult to find the place, even when pulling a couple kids in a kiddie trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

My God, the greenway between Newport and Mulranney could not be simpler. Road crossings are clearly identified, cyclists have no choice but to slow down when crossing them, there is no danger for man or beast along the route and it is up to Nevin's to be realistic about the distance they are from the greenway, not Mayo County Council. It is a fabulous facility and a gang of us from Galway are booking into Newport in June for a weekend to cycle the route.
    We are bringing our own bikes though because the cost of bike hire in Newport is quite expensive . . . €12 a day is a bit steep.

Dec2552 you positive comments about the Greenway are appreciated.

You claim the €12 a day for bike hire is "steep".

Can you refer us to any bike hire firm charging substantialy less than this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

On lookwest.ie today:

http://www.lookwest.ie/news/16-partner-news/882-western-greenway-in-mayo-wins-top-eu-excellence-award
    "
    The Great Western Greenway in County Mayo has been named as the Irish winner of this year’s “European Destination of Excellence” (EDEN) award.
    Fáilte Ireland has invested €160,000 to date in developing the Greenway and has allocated a further €1.6m for a 24km extension, from Mulranny to Achill Sound on the northern end, and from Newport to Westport on the southern end of the current route. The new sections are due to open in June 2011.

"

nuac wrote: »
    You claim the €12 a day for bike hire is "steep".
    Can you refer us to any bike hire firm charging substantialy less than this?

nuac, you are so defensive it is quite fascinating. In Clare last year we got bikes for €8 a day and did Doolin and the cliffs, it was grand. In Killarney it is €10 a day but Clew Bay bikes seem to have it all on their own and charge €12. Take a couple and two kids, that is nearly €50. Am only sayin'

dec25532 wrote: »
    nuac, you are so defensive it is quite fascinating. In Clare last year we got bikes for €8 a day and did Doolin and the cliffs, it was grand. In Killarney it is €10 a day but Clew Bay bikes seem to have it all on their own and charge €12. Take a couple and two kids, that is nearly €50. Am only sayin'

Swift is €12 per day, Clew Bay Bikes €15 (much better bikes). At either of these prices I can't see how you could complain considering if you took the bike out at 9am and didn't return it until 6pm or later that's a pretty cheap day out. The hire company's couldn't survive if they went any cheaper, it is a short season and doesn't yet have the tourist numbers that the Cliffs of Moher get. Hopefully it will though, Westport is as good a spot as any.

I can only speak for Clew Bay. We hired two bikes off them last year. Inculded in their full day price is:
    • Bike
    • Safety Gear
    • Rain Gear
    • Panniers
    • Map
    • Lock
    • Drop off and pick up from anywhere along the greenway

The bikes are no €49 halfords specials, they are lightweight Giant bicycles and perfectly maintained. The guys at Clew Bay adjust them to suit your height etc before you set off. I think the prices are an absolute bargain for the service being offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭coleen

Where in Killarney did you get bikes for 10 euro I live close by and have hired bikes at €15 euro per day so I would say €12 is average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I think that above discussion about prices is worthless.
    Bike hiring places are private businesses, and they can charge as much as they want.
    If someone thinks that's too expensive, there's nothing against opening another bike rental company here which would be cheaper.

CiniO wrote: »
    I think that above discussion about prices is worthless.
    Bike hiring places are private businesses, and they can charge as much as they want.
    If someone thinks that's too expensive, there's nothing against opening another bike rental company here which would be cheaper.

I dont think it is worthless. We need to very careful that we dont screw people into the ground by overcharging. Remember they will spend money in lots of areas when they do come here but if we do rub in the prices people spread the word and its hits us in the long run.

I got ripped in Clare a few years ago and complained very strongly to the manager of the place. When he smiled at me and shrugged I said to him that smile wont be there for ever and I know for a fact 2 bus companies stopped using his palce and it closed about 3 months later. I would not go back to Clare after this and infact it was my last family holiday in Ireland until this year and we are going to Mayo. I can assure you if I was getting ripped off I would not be going back and would also spread the word.

On the bike shops if they are star up business they should get ssupport and assistance advertising and purchasing bike to assist them in keeping prices within the range of families where 4 bikes might be needed for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I've met the proprieter of Clew Bay Bikes a few times and I don't think he's ripping anyone off. He started this business from scratch about 2 years ago and took a big personal risk in doing so. His bikes are are all top quality, Giant hybrids. He provides locks, bibs, helmets etc as well as providing a delivery service (don't know if this costs extra). €12 is about standard and not a rip off by any measure.

Edit: Just saw the feedback from Bandit above which is pretty much what I said. They seem to have lots of satisfied customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I don't work for either of these bike hire companies, but know both of them. I think they are doing great stuff and competition is healthy. Prices will stay reasonable and possibly get cheaper over time. Bikes are good quality. Service especially from Clew Bay Bike Hire is excellent.

snailsong wrote: »
    I've met the proprieter of Clew Bay Bikes a few times and I don't think he's ripping anyone off. He started this business from scratch about 2 years ago and took a big personal risk in doing so. His bikes are are all top quality, Giant hybrids. He provides locks, bibs, helmets etc as well as providing a delivery service (don't know if this costs extra). €12 is about standard and not a rip off by any measure.

Edit: Just saw the feedback from Bandit above which is pretty much what I said. They seem to have lots of satisfied customers.

I am by no means suggesting that any cycle company in Mayo is ripping anyone off.

However how often do we turn on the Radio and hear about rip off Ireland? We do need to be careful about how we price things and cycling is just one of these things. If I hire family bikes for the week it substantially increases the cost of my holiday so I need to be careful and others should also.

These start up business should be given some assistance as I stated earlier. There is a massive oppertunity here to develop things to a point where we will have a list of route in each county and cycling could play a major role in re igniting our tourist industry in hard hit areas.

coleen wrote: »
    Where in Killarney did you get bikes for 10 euro I live close by and have hired bikes at €15 euro per day so I would say €12 is average.

The place the far side of the Gleneagle Hotel. Got two bikes for €20 along with a map. Picked them up at 10ish, had them back by around 7 and there was no problem. This crap of charging €15 is intolerable. You can hire bikes in Algarve for €6 a day and they are perfect. Why do we insist on defending rip offs?

The place the far side of the Gleneagle Hotel. Got two bikes for €20 along with a map. Picked them up at 10ish, had them back by around 7 and there was no problem. This crap of charging €15 is intolerable. You can hire bikes in Algarve for €6 a day and they are perfect. Why do we insist on defending rip offs?

Yes you mentioned this already in the other thread and it was pointed out to you that there is a significant difference in the minimum wage between here and the Algarve.

Here is a suggestion. Give one of the bike rental companies that service the greenway (or better yet all of them) a call. Explain your situation, that you are a group and you would be delighted if they would do you a deal. Its not fair to the companies involved to be coming on here describing prices as a rip off.

Instead of getting so worked up about it why don't you just bring your own bike instead of expecting one for half-nothing? As has been pointed out, the standard of living here is much higher than in Spain and there is no way that any of the companies involved would be able to survive if they charged €6 per day imo. They have a 3 month season, offer a good product with good service so I have no idea where you are getting your pricing expectations from.

Instead of getting so worked up about it why don't you just bring your own bike instead of expecting one for half-nothing? As has been pointed out, the standard of living here is much higher than in Spain and there is no way that any of the companies involved would be able to survive if they charged €6 per day imo. They have a 3 month season, offer a good product with good service so I have no idea where you are getting your pricing expectations from.

The cost of living maybe higher here than in Spain or Portugal but not double the amount. And to take the argument a bit further, is the cost of living more expensive in Mayo that it has to charge higher prices than Kerry or Clare, for example. The reality is that two families would pay for the cost of one of the bikes in one day through rental charges.

• Advertisement

The cost of living maybe higher here than in Spain or Portugal but not double the amount. And to take the argument a bit further, is the cost of living more expensive in Mayo that it has to charge higher prices than Kerry or Clare, for example. The reality is that two families would pay for the cost of one of the bikes in one day through rental charges.

Id love to know where you buy your bikes from. This is the reality you speak of.

Advertisement