Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

bear1 wrote: »
    Ate you excluding the 500e admin fee they take? If no then its 250e.

VRT Website says €1250-500= €750

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Red Kev wrote: »
    VRT Website says €1250-500= €750

Oh right so its after paying the costs then. Makes sense then but I'm curious, it would need to be trailered out of the country as no insurance company would keep insurance on it I imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

So that Phaeton, fair enough it hasn't the right engine and it's the inefficient tax.

But tax is irrelevant in this thread as is fuel consumption. If you got that Phaeton @ sub €2k assuming it passed some kind of inspection, then even if you put in €1k it'd be a pretty nice comfy barge for less than €3k.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

pedronomix wrote: »
    I have a mint 06 W164 ML 500 with only 54K miles on it that I use for towing (rally car) and the odd time when I need more space than my runabout Mini Cooper S. Can't beat V8 power for a proper tow machine. Taxed as 5 seat crew cab (€330) and it is off this week for pro-conversion to lpg. It currently returns about 22 mpg on motorway use, and 18 when towing. I reckon I will see around 32 mpg cash equivelent (towing), before the VAT savings. Way more economical than a proper large engined diesel jeep. The ML itself cost well less than half the price of a similar diesel 4x4.
    Will report back actual outcome!

Well, had it converted and it is a great job, fuel consumption is about 8- 10% heavier than on petrol but it feels and drives every bit as smooth and powerful on LPG. With the VAT saving it is doing the cash equivelent of about 40MPG towing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,714 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

166man wrote: »
    If you got that Phaeton @ sub €2k assuming it passed some kind of inspection, then even if you put in €1k it'd be a pretty nice comfy barge for less than €3k.....

There are similar age RWD V8 flagships with test out there for €2k

Why on earth would anyone want to spend €3k on this FWD V6 one (and hope and pray it will pass the test for that outlay) and still pay max tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

You on drugs tonight, Duke? :p

NCT out nearly a year and these cars are utter junk (and that one looks like it is worse than most of them). The worst ever yoke to have disgraced the 3 pointed star. It's cheap I grant you, but I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

an embarrassment to be called a mercedes. a

I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up my friend :P

But yeah, no idea why I posted that really. Cheap and ropey do not bode well in here.
    I find myself looking at these a lot. I dunno if they would be classed as barges by the mass but I should think so, certainly compared to what I drive. Very difficult to find a turbo petrol non-silver automatic one though. I should imagine when I graduate I will either have one of these or a 99-00 Jag Xj..

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-2t-petrol-new-nct-/10486009?offset=9
    47005738.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sure most of the yokes here are cheap and ropey. Some, however are more ropy than others. :D

S80 are very solid cars, dull and dated now (and of course boring) but reliable and pretty much indestructible. And cheap. Father in law has had one for about a decade now and it just refuses to die. Most he spent on it during that time was a belt change iirc. I'd get an auto though.

There's also a lot to say for having a straight 5 cylinder turbo charged engine (180bhp) for your 2l tax...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

A big s80 is almost the definition of noughties barge I reckon. That's nice in that colour, pity about the manual. Why do people do that in a big comfy range topper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

A big s80 is almost the definition of noughties barge I reckon. That's nice in that colour, pity about the manual. Why do people do that in a big comfy range topper.

TBH I can't understand why people order a manual in the likes of a modern A4 / 5 Series / E Class, nor why the distributor supplies same.

Why anyone would want a manual in a €50k+ luxury car is beyond me.

I don't mind bland and boring to be honest and I like the look of the S80, the facelift looks quite smart to my eyes. I certainly wouldn't have a manual when the time comes either. I don't know what to think of the newer ones, the petrol automatic ones seem to be very cheap to buy but your 2l tax doubles and in my opinion they have lost their flagship status with Volvo after they started fitting them with 1.6 diesel units

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-2-5-turbo/10707951?offset=2
    48139617.jpeg

Now this is what I am talking about. If it was in a darker colour it would be perfect, though tax is slightly bumped up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

That S80 has the same engine as a Focus ST.

• Advertisement

mullingar wrote: »
    That S80 has the same engine as a Focus ST.

The other way around. A Focus ST has the same engine as a Volvo S80 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Now this is what I am talking about. If it was in a darker colour it would be perfect, though tax is slightly bumped up

As requested

New NCT, 950 beans

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-auto-2-0-turbo/10943159?offset=7

49272515.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Love the picture in the NCT centre, that's a first! :D

Actually they all look like they were taken outside the centre.

Nice find! Asking price €950, offers accepted so yours for about €700

With the guts of a year NCT

Unreal value for money, even if it was overdue a belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Love the picture in the NCT centre, that's a first! :D

Actually they all look like they were taken outside the centre.

He probably couldn't believe his luck that it passed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

unkel wrote: »
    There are similar age RWD V8 flagships with test out there for €2k

Why on earth would anyone want to spend €3k on this FWD V6 one (and hope and pray it will pass the test for that outlay) and still pay max tax?

Where are these 2004 NCT'd RWD V8's for €2k?

If you'd read my post (which I reckon you didn't) I said you'd spend a few bob on it to get it NCT'd. So by spending €3k on it you'd be pretty much guaranteeing it'd be passing the test. It has a full history too btw which bodes well for it.

It wouldn't bother me that it's only FWD, that's a personal choice.

Where are these 2004 NCT'd RWD V8's for €2k?

I said similar age. There's an '02 E65 I posted a few days ago and no doubt there are plenty of others if you look back at the the last few months postings on this thread
    by spending €3k on it you'd be pretty much guaranteeing it'd be passing the test.

The only thing that pretty much guarantees it passes the test is if it actually passed the test. Anything else is just guessing / speculating / hoping and not very smart / prudent if you would like to own a luxobarge for bangernomics money

That Volvo is a bloody bargain but....

Somone bought it on the 26/10 so this looks strange a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

Love the S80 so I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Soarer wrote: »
    Love the S80 so I do.

All this talk of S80's makes me nervous :)
    I bought a 100k km (04) 2.0 T petrol one 2.5 years ago. I paid €3,500 for it and it was (is) absolutely mint.
    I replaced a radiator, a driver side window regulator (motor) and paid for just regular servicing et al.
    It's been faultless. Simply faultless, and I've had a great ownership experience for the last couple of years.
    I couldn't recommend the Volvo S80 highly enough.

It's a dinger for small money. The real value is in the petrol 2.0T. Really lads, the S80 2.0 T is a dinger.
    The 5 pot sounds nice and all creature comforts. The build quality is brilliant - you know and appreciate this after long journeys.
    I really really cannot recommend the S80 (04 to 06) highly enough.
    There is savage value out there. It's a belter of a car for small money.
    It will, however, rob you of petrol money - ~20 to 25mpg, if lucky.
    Still, I wouldn't swap mine for a diesel car in a month of sundays. It's quiet refined and relatively quick for its size.

Wish I was brave enough for this!

T6

Wish I was brave enough for this!

T6
    Wouldn't go near it. Turbo gone is due to oil starvation. You can figure out the rest yourself. (not being smart)

cadaliac wrote: »
    Wouldn't go near it. Turbo gone is due to oil starvation. You can figure out the rest yourself. (not being smart)

Could it not be down to component failure? Only asking due to the full Volvo service history. Surely they'd have picked up on an issue before going bang?

Could it not be down to component failure? Only asking due to the full Volvo service history. Surely they'd have picked up on an issue before going bang?

To be honest, I don't know.

I don't know the car and it is only an observation on my behalf.

How well was the car serviced? - As in, would you believe an ad on Donedeal (or wherever) to say that it actually had a full service history?
    Was the car actually serviced correctly from a volvo (or mainstream mechanic) dealership to the point that the car got the correct oil, on time?

I honestly don't know. I do know that the turbo "going" on most cars is due to oil starvation.

Yes, of course, it could be a genuine manufacture fault but I smell a rat.
    Unless I saw a stamped service history book, I would have my doubts.

I was stung before over a "genuine service history", so I will always reserve my judgement until I am satisfied.
    In this case - I am jumping the gun and you correctly have pointed out that the car has a full Volvo service history - - which could make my argument and feelings of distrust null and void.
    I'm just sore from being stung before - apologies if I came across harsh.

• Advertisement

Holy god....

cadaliac wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't know.

I don't know the car and it is only an observation on my behalf.

How well was the car serviced? - As in, would you believe an ad on Donedeal (or wherever) to say that it actually had a full service history?
    Was the car actually serviced correctly from a volvo (or mainstream mechanic) dealership to the point that the car got the correct oil, on time?

I honestly don't know. I do know that the turbo "going" on most cars is due to oil starvation.

Yes, of course, it could be a genuine manufacture fault but I smell a rat.
    Unless I saw a stamped service history book, I would have my doubts.

I was stung before over a "genuine service history", so I will always reserve my judgement until I am satisfied.
    In this case - I am jumping the gun and you correctly have pointed out that the car has a full Volvo service history - - which could make my argument and feelings of distrust null and void.
    I'm just sore from being stung before - apologies if I came across harsh.

Just getting back to this Cadalic, and it might make sense.

The last service was carried out in May by a non Volvo garage, and it was an oil & filter service. So maybe they made a bags of things and caused the detonation?
    Just kinda thinking out loud I suppose.

745i sold

What a car for less than 2k!

unkel wrote: »
    745i sold

What a car for less than 2k!

And for export there's €999 back off Revenue.

You couldn't really go wrong. If it does prove to be probllematic, bring it to NI, register it for £100 and it will stand you less than a grand for parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Red Kev wrote: »
    And for export there's €999 back off Revenue.

You couldn't really go wrong. If it does prove to be probllematic, bring it to NI, register it for £100 and it will stand you less than a grand for parts.

or export to NI and claim your grand, then break the car. Im sure if its still running you'd easily recover more than 1000 euro from it in parts. sure you'd probably get 250 for the wheels before you even have to take the real tools out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

or export to NI and claim your grand, then break the car. Im sure if its still running you'd easily recover more than 1000 euro from it in parts. sure you'd probably get 250 for the wheels before you even have to take the real tools out

Style 95s easily be worth 5-600 euro if clean!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

millington wrote: »
    Style 95s easily be worth 5-600 euro if clean!

+1
    Those wheels look great on an E60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Just getting back to this Cadalic, and it might make sense.

The last service was carried out in May by a non Volvo garage, and it was an oil & filter service. So maybe they made a bags of things and caused the detonation?
    Just kinda thinking out loud I suppose.

Yeah I agree with this. Was the correct spec oil used and if you look at the previous interval the car went 8,000 over its due date. A full service history is only useful if correct intervals are maintained and correct oil used. A 280bhp turbo needs both to be adhered to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

I've been looking to buy and export a car to Northern Ireland for the last 6 months so always check VRT rebates on cars posted in this thread.
    The S320 above gives a rebate of €405! I'd say you could have a free car with that one if you had a wad of notes and a good bit of luck. Even if it is a crock that would only drive for 2 months it would still be a nice place to sit until it ultimately breaks down. Great spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

not particularly legal of him to offer to tax it for the year as a limo before sale - but if he did and you drove for 12 months for 95 bucks tax, seeing as the cheapest road car to tax would be 100 quid more, get your rebate plus the tax saving - technically you are already up before you get anything for selling/scrapping the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

If you get the tax rebate it means the car has been registered in a different country so no worries about motor tax here anyway. I'd imagine getting it through the mot in the north could be an expensive mission, but maybe not. But very cheap motoring if it is driving, even only for a few months

Judging from the number plate that would have been a ministerial car. I think all cars registered as 1 in the county belongs to a mayor?

Not all countys - Dublin, Cork, Limerick and I think Waterford only.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1993-6l-v12-amg-mercedes-taxed-and-tested/11037501
    49713044.jpeg

Merc S600 V12 with test until 2017 and tax until end of Feb 2016 for €2250. You would wonder if its on a PSV but if it has been insured classic as stated then I would doubt very much so. Even still I'd drive it on as is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

^^^ terrible ad really one picture and "petrol beast" line made me cringe.

Wheels let it down to imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I'd like to see pics of interior to see what a mere 123k miles have done to her. She should only be getting run in at this stage.

Wheels are awful, needs AMG monoblocks. Ad is a bit odd, cringey alright but mentions the refitted parts of the cooling system. And no sign of a reg plate or more pics.

I sat in one of them at the launch in Geneva in March 1991, 'twas a couple of days before Paddy's Day. Always liked them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

alloys have grown on me. if they polish up, will look even better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

xk8 is sold. need to win lottery

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement