Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

AstraMonti wrote: »
    iphone+mount.jpeg

jonah-hill-shock.gif[IMG][/img]

tumblr_melfmngawK1qjf2mz.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Zyzz wrote: »
    Also..am I missing something here? Di2 7970 shifters for around 200 euro on Amazon.com

Looks like a low price, even for Amazon:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Shimano-Dura-Ace-Shift-Brake-Lever/product/B002LGESDG

I presume you'd get hit for duty and VAT on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

Maybe discounted since DA went 11 speed?

Great deal for someone though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

Just home, much faster than last week. Also, much more pain than last week. It was very blustery I was unable to do anything less than maximum effort the entire time. Also quite hot. Bonked around half-way, thanks to my dreadful diet for the past 48 hours.

Came last this week, smaller group and all of them were quite serious racers. Still, happy out that I set a faster time than last week even with all the tough conditions :D Bring on the next one!

Did my first one of the year myself tonight. Fairly pleased 69mins for 40k 4mins faster than last year though this year I had an aero helmet, shoe covers and a set of profile T2 clipons I bought on impulse this afternoon. Hard to tell the difference it all made I reckon I was a good bit fitter last year but it was four days after a big off that left me badly banged up with a lot of road rash. Definitely couldn't push as hard last year heart rate avg was 170 that night and 173 tonight though my calf cramped tonight and I had to back of for a few k while I spun it out definitely brought the average down a few bpm and cost me time.

Surprised how comfortable I was on the aero bars only one corner on the course I had to come of them did nearly the whole thing on them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Here lads, this seems as good a place as any to ask.

I'm going to be moving to Publin in Late Aug/Early September to be re-edumacated at a 3rd level institute in Dun Laoghaire.

I have no bloody clue where to be looking for a gaff.

I'm thinking maybe somewhere in or near town and cycling too and from college, which would be a grand wee spin of a morning.
    Only condition is it would need to be on/near a dart or bus route for mornings when I might not be fit to cycle (Hypothyroidism kicks my ass sometimes and I could barely walk to the bus stop when it's bad, and I'm prone to serious man flu).

Where should I be looking to find a house share? what areas should be avoided?

Looks like a low price, even for Amazon:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Shimano-Dura-Ace-Shift-Brake-Lever/product/B002LGESDG

I presume you'd get hit for duty and VAT on them.

One could get them reshipped and then it is hit and miss whether or not you get stung for Vuty. Its very tempting though :)

Although the whole DA 9000 kit is going for around 1200 and that is a pretty freakin sweet deal :eek:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/transmission/groupsets-road-bike/shimano-dura-ace-9000-groupset-1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Seaneh wrote: »

I'm going to be moving to Publin in Late Aug/Early September to be re-edumacated at a 3rd level institute in Dun Laoghaire.

I'm thinking maybe somewhere in or near town and cycling too and from college, which would be a grand wee spin of a morning.
    Only condition is it would need to be on/near a dart or bus route for mornings when I might not be fit to cycle (Hypothyroidism kicks my ass sometimes and I could barely walk to the bus stop when it's bad, and I'm prone to serious man flu).

If you're cycling to Dun Laoghaire for college, you'd probably be looking at somewhere like Dalkey/Ballsbridge/Rathfarnham. Nice areas, rents would be a bit high though, always are over the Southside of the city.

Could be a bit of a trek from the Northside, you could look at somewhere like Marino or Artane/Killester, couple of dart stations that would bring you to Dun Laoghaire. Areas wouldn't be as nice as the ones I've mentioned on the other side of the Liffey, but they're decent enough and cheaper rent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Theoretically, I would have thought electronic shifters should be dirt cheap. Surely they're just regular brake levers and a simple rocker switch, with none of the complexity of mechanical STIs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I think you'd wanna start looking now to get an idea of prices etc

I know someone who commutes to Dun Laoghaire from City Centre everyday on a fixed gear so the distance shouldn't be a problem. Along the Dart is quite expensive, but if you went to Marino etc you could still easily cycle (over the toll bridge) and have the Dart.

Living on the 46A route would be another option, might even be better if if it was the college of art and design, which is a bit away f rom the Dart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just checked my bike onto a US flight. Was informed in advance it would be $300 but they only asked for $100 at the desk. Pleasantly surprised for a change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Alternatively, head out Bray direction. Still on the Dart line and much nearer the Wicklow mountains for impromptu spins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I would think Stilorgan or Blackrock would be a good places to try. Nice areas with plenty of accommodation, a very handy cycle to Dun Laoghaire and public transport links too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am trying to cut down meat intake, and I tried quorn.. damn this thing is nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I am trying to cut down meat intake, and I tried quorn.. damn this thing is nasty.

Anything that advertises "Meat style" products, I'd rather avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Get a live in wife or girlfriend if you don't already have one, get them pregnant and if they're anything like my wife the mere thought of any meat product in the house for the first few months of pregnancy makes her feel ill will make you a vegetarian by proxy.

I haven't found it that difficult actually, I've had some pretty damn tasty salads that I would never have bothered with before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Get a live in wife or girlfriend if you don't already have one, get them pregnant and if they're anything like my wife the mere thought of any meat product in the house for the first few months of pregnancy makes her feel ill will make you a vegetarian by proxy.

This is a solution to the bad taste of Quorn?

It seems rather drastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

If you cut down meat, you have nothing left to eat!
    ThisRegard wrote: »

Mine went mad for the meat when she got pregnant, so it's not always the best idea! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Mine went mad for the meat when she got pregnant, so it's not always the best idea! :)

Must resist smutty comment.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumen wrote: »
    This is a solution to the bad taste of Quorn?

It seems rather drastic.

Have you tasted Quorn, I think I'd rather soylent green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Which Quorn product did you try? I like the chicken ones but the sausage one is toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I tried the "I can't believe it's not chicken" chicken pieces.. even with sauce was quite bad. And it feels like a brick now in my stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Right...Don't try the sausages then!

Big fan of the sausage ey? :cool:

heh heh heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yip, on her first pregnancy she didn't have this problem with, eh, the animal derived meat product.

I tried the "I can't believe it's not chicken" chicken pieces.. even with sauce was quite bad. And it feels like a brick now in my stomach.

So you could believe it wasn't chicken?
    Big fan of the sausage ey? :cool:
    heh heh heh
    RobFowl wrote: »
    Must resist smutty comment.......

Thank god she doesn't read boards :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Couple of hours and you'll be ****ting them most likely.....:D:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,496 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Useless fact for the day - I went to school in the town (well not much more than a village really) where the producers of Quorn are based

I may be vegetarian, but I detest the stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have spent spent much of the evening thusfar reading my first ever copy of Rouleur. It really is a fantastic cycling magazine.

Really interesting articles and brilliant photography.

Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Moving on from the Quorny stuff, I got an email from CRC yesterday titled "Celebrate the Tour de France with £15 OFF". The actual message offers €10 off if you spend over €100. When I queried why sterling customers seemed to be getting a better deal I got a new email offer today offering "Extra £10 off everything to celebrate the 100th Tour de France". When I actually went looking for a few things I needed, none of them had the TdF tag.
    Oh well, up to Humphries in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Moving on from the Quorny stuff, I got an email from CRC yesterday titled "Celebrate the Tour de France with £15 OFF". The actual message offers €10 off if you spend over €100. When I queried why sterling customers seemed to be getting a better deal I got a new email offer today offering "Extra £10 off everything to celebrate the 100th Tour de France". When I actually went looking for a few things I needed, none of them had the TdF tag.
    Oh well, up to Humphries in the morning.

If you haven't used parcel motel, you could use one of your free drops to get the additional voucher credit.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have spent spent much of the evening thusfar reading my first ever copy of Rouleur. It really is a fantastic cycling magazine.

Highly recommended.

Yeah, I picked up one a couple months ago, and was pleasantly surprised at the quality -will definitely get it again.

Good lord I never knew a GoPro would be so hard to sell..even though I have 100 euro off the cheapest I can find second hand. Need it to sell to afford a new saddle and brakes :(

/depressing blog post

About '63 or so..... :D

P1020250.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Good lord I never knew a GoPro would be so hard to sell..even though I have 100 euro off the cheapest I can find second hand. Need it to sell to afford a new saddle and brakes :(

/depressing blog post

Where's the ad at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I encountered my first Nexus Di2 8 speed IHG in the last few days, interesting I must say, electronic automatic shifting powered by a front dynamo hub, it seems like the future is here!
    I'm not so sure about the automatic shifting but the rest is pretty awesome.

The hub internals are fooked though so I can't give it a test ride:mad:

Where's the ad at?

Tried here for a week or 2..then adverts for another few weeks..then ebay which didn't sell..

Id have more luck selling doors, as a door to door salesman :(

Ive even offered to throw in a 32gb SD card and free postage all over Ireland lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Planet X wrote: »
    About '63 or so..... :D

P1020250.jpg

Nice to see you have your domestiques leading out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

ROK ON wrote: »

Highly recommended.

Picked up a copy in May and loved it. Still not finished it. Picked up July's edition a few weeks ago.
    Love the art work by Jo Burt especially the "Broom wagon."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Double vision, it's been awhile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Corsica looks beautiful. Anyone been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

This morning saw a good bunch of people running around the park across the street, felt a strange urge to find my runners. Resisted. Did some gardening instead. :D

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Nice to see you have your domestiques leading out...

The front leadout pair (him 'n her) are Czechs. Just noticed his Dickie Bow. Wouldn't have it any other way!
    Nice bit of sunshine and Ma has me in a winter coat...........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

What's the car in the background?

A bit tricky to make it out................

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,496 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sunbeam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Beasty wrote: »
    Sunbeam?

Corsair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

So. Honeymoon over. 9lbs the fatter. I was good to myself.

Now, back to the business of bike racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Plastik wrote: »
    So. Honeymoon over. 9lbs the fatter. I was good to myself.

I call custard. But with you actually eating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Am pondering trying my hand at converting an old Raleigh Outland MTB that's been sitting in my Dad's garage for the last 15+ years into a single speed beater that I won't mind leaving locked in the city centre/ locked in the carpark of our building (alternative to Dublin bikes).

Mostly I want to do it for the experience, I found a few threads on other forums about people converting them into tourers but really I'd like to get a cheap SS chainset and hub, not sure whether I'll need a new BB but I'd imagine I'll need to replace at least the back wheel for a SS hub?

From what I understand the original bikes were borderline BSOs so really don't want to do anything I can't do by scrounging or buying for cheap in Rothar

You might not have to replace the back wheel, and you might not even have to replace the chainset or cassette assuming there is still life left in them. The cheapest and crudest (and ugliest, if that matters) option is to use the existing chainset and wheel, remove the derailleurs and gear levers, and just cut a chain to run from your chainring of choice to your cog of choice amongst those on the cassette. The difficulty there though is that you might find the chainline to be poor for your preferred choice of chainring and cog. You can get some flexibility by removing the chainring you don't want, and mount the one you want to keep on whichever side of the spider provides the better chainline (you'll need shorter chainring bolts to mount just a single chainring to the spider, which are typically stupidly pricey for what they are!), but that might not actually solve the problem for you.

As a step closer to a conventional single speed, you could replace the rear cassette with a conversion kit. I've not used one but as far as I know it's just a set of spacers. You determine where you want your single cog to be positioned for the best chainline, and you pad out either side of the cog with spacers. So you are re-using the existing freehub (assuming it actually is a freehub that is, obviously something to check first) and essentially replacing a real cassette with a mock-up of a cassette. Being able to position the single cog anywhere on the freehub should allow you to obtain a good (enough) chainline.

The options above, if they prove viable, would save you some cash, but if the existing wheel is one with a quick-release then re-using it also has another benefit (in my view anyway). I've only ever looked at flip-flop hubs (which allow you to have one fixed or singlespeed gear on each side) and they were all held in place either by nuts or allen key bolts and personally I find that awkward and tedious compared to using a quick-release.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement