Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Parking in drive illegal??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

digger58 wrote: »
    "These regulations are not from the road traffic act. The P&D act is completely separate".
    That's my point, you're not keeping it or storing it. you're using it! Don't forget that it's an MPV under any Act. Does the P&D Act define keep and store? I can't find any definition in the Act. Once taxed DOE'd and insured you're entitled to use it (in a public place), The 9 months things is open to interpretation. Is it a calendar year or a continuous period of 12 months?

I doubt there is much could be done with a vehicle in regular use like you say. I imagine the 9 month bit could only be invoked in the case of a vehicle that plainly is not in use...ie stored, or used as accommodation. It seems an immense grey area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

You could pay your neighbour to park it in their driveway for a week every month thus fulfilling the legislation and pissing off the person that complained in one go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

BobMc wrote: »
    I've a neighbour at my back of house, spent a fortune widening his side entrance (luckily he has the space), he reverses it in and you only see the front then he has gates its super job altogether, looks fab you'd barely notice it was there

I have the same arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

digger58 wrote: »
    That's my point, you're not keeping it or storing it. you're using it! Don't forget that it's an MPV under any Act. Does the P&D Act define keep and store? I can't find any definition in the Act. Once taxed DOE'd and insured you're entitled to use it (in a public place), The 9 months things is open to interpretation. Is it a calendar year or a continuous period of 12 months?
    The fact that you are allow to use it has no bearing on whether its being kept. There is no definition given for "keep", the basic English understanding applies. It's used in a few spots and its not remotely a grey area.
    For example, another exemption states you can build a shed, but not use it for keeping of pigs, or horses. You could hardly bypass that by "using the horses".

As for the time aspect, calendar year verses 12 consecutive months. I would imagine that it means 12 consecutive months - based on how the time applies to other cases (2 years, 5 years, etc).
    However, there is a case for calendar year too. But it makes little difference tbh. If you have it away for 3 months each year, with similar use patterns, then it would be away 3 out of every consecutive 12, or close enough to got be an issue.

Advertisement