Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Parking in drive illegal??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

Niloc, the legislation specifically mentions campervan, caravan or boat. It does not mention trailers, horseboxes etc. It also mentions storing which would imply that the vehicle is not moved regularly during the time it is there.

I would say if you use your campervan regularly you are OK but if you leave it there between trips you are in trouble after 9 months.

I often see caravans and campervans parked in driveways all year without any complaints but I also know of a couple where neighbours have complained to the council and they had to go to storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

post 29 specifically mentions a campervan

Can you not just park it in your drive for 9 months, and then park it at the side of the road for 3 months? Rinse, repeat?

Or leave it at a different house for three months (a friend or non-complaining neighbour?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

In relation to post #29, is there a legal definition of a "campervan"? As much as I know there is no legal definition of a " campervan". They are defined as Motor Caravans by Revenue, classified as special purpose vehicles by the EU.

My response is to write back asking why am I being asked to move it as the leglislation does not mention Motor Caravans for 9months storage, as that is what its defined as by Revenue.

I assume there is no legislation imposing a max duration that any legal (taxed, insured etc) private vehicle can be parked on your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

It's always possible of course that individual councils have their own bye-laws for Housing estates, both private and council, when it comes to parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Why should there be a difference between ONE OF THESE and ONE OF THESE and ONE OF THESE

The first is a motor caravan (or campervan if you want) an EU Category M1 vehicle, the second is a light commercial an EU Category N1 and the third is a car and EU category M1.

So there are restrictions on how long you can park the first one at your home but no restrictions on the other two.

In fact two and three could be one of these or one of these

A load od B@ll@x :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Why should there be a difference between ONE OF THESE and ONE OF THESE and ONE OF THESE

The first is a motor caravan (or campervan if you want) an EU Category M1 vehicle, the second is a light commercial an EU Category N1 and the third is a car and EU category M1.

So there are restrictions on how long you can park the first one at your home but no restrictions on the other two.

A load od B@ll@x :rolleyes:

Wow talk about totally missing the point of the legislation which was not aimed at the vehicles you have chosen to compare

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Wow talk about totally missing the point of the legislation which was not aimed at the vehicles you have chosen to compare

The first one is a campervan :confused:

There nothing in the regs. that I saw which mentioned size.

yeah but noone is likely to complain about that one to force the Council to apply the Law. Obviously someone did about the OPs van.

My own camper lives at the back of my Car port.....hardly visible and I doubt anyone will ever complain about it.

yeah but noone is likely to complain about that one to force the Council to apply the Law. Obviously someone did about the OPs van.

My own camper lives at the back of my Car port.....hardly visible and I doubt anyone will ever complain about it.

Visible or not, your still breaking the same stupid law, and so am I for that matter some years.

But the real issue is why is a motorhome discriminated against and not other vehicles.
    Why should the owner of a motorhome be required to seek storage away from his/her home (at an expense) while owners of other vehicles can keep theirs at their homes indefinitely.
    Are not all citizens supposed to be treated equally.

• Advertisement

because they can be unsightly parked in someone s front garden, especially in a City estate, and there has to be some kind of control

because they can be unsightly parked in someone s front garden, especially in a City estate, and there has to be some kind of control

So can lots of other stuff that's not a motor caravan, how about a rusty old Transit or an old heap that wouldn't have a chance of passing its NCT.
    But many motorhomes are shiny like new and the pride of their owners.

Ever seen a house and garden that's like a landfill site in the middle of well maintained houses, I'm sure the neighbours get really pi$$ed off in such situations but they have no on to go crying to.

IMHO the OP is probably suffering from the usual anti-motorhome sentiment of those who have not and begrudge those who have.

If I lived in a small semi in the suburbs and my view from my from window was dominated by a camper or a caravan (or anything else unsightly such as you mention) I'd be objecting too.

If I were in this position I would be arguing that there is a hell of a difference between something being Kept or Stored as opposed to being parked between trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

If I lived in a small semi in the suburbs and my view from my from window was dominated by a camper or a caravan (or anything else unsightly such as you mention) I'd be objecting too.

I think you will find planning laws do not entitle you to a nice view! A camper is an MPV within the RTA, if it i used for a weekend then surely the clock starts ticking again when it returns? I think the main idea of this legislation is to prevent people living in campers/caravans outside houses. I would test them anyway and seek answers from the sender of the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

The first one is a campervan :confused:

There nothing in the regs. that I saw which mentioned size.

That's true Niloc. Though a little Romahome is easier on the eye than a 25 foot long 10 foot high campervan or a large caravan shoehorned into the front garden of a house.

digger58 wrote: »
    I think you will find planning laws do not entitle you to a nice view! A camper is an MPV within the RTA, if it i used for a weekend then surely the clock starts ticking again when it returns? I think the main idea of this legislation is to prevent people living in campers/caravans outside houses. I would test them anyway and seek answers from the sender of the letter.

well that's quite true, but that's not the regulation you could object under..... it's why the one i question exists

• Registered Users Posts: 39,153 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What regulation is quoted in the letter
    Planning and Development Act.
    The reason a caravan/campervan or motor home is affected, and not cars, vans etc, is because they are able to be lived in, and is consided developement - along with caravans for example
    ShaunieVW wrote: »
    If it's in a private driveway I do see what it's got to do with anybody else?
    The same reason you need permission to build a second house in your driveway, or build an extension beyond set limits.

Without this restriction, somebody who owns any site, could open it up and let 20 campervans or caravan move into without control (read between the lines here).
    Please remember that what is at issue here is a motor caravan which is a mechanically propelled vehicle, same as a car, a motorbike, a van, etc. etc.
    It is not a caravan which is a trailer and is not capable of movement without assistance.
    Motor caravan is covered by campervan. Not sure why you ignored that bit.
    I think you will find planning laws do not entitle you to a nice view! A camper is an MPV within the RTA, if it i used for a weekend then surely the clock starts ticking again when it returns? .
    No. The regulations state 9 months total out of a year, not continuously.

Here is the exact regulation.
    CLASS 8
    The keeping or storing of a caravan,
    campervan or boat within the curtilage of a
    house.
    1. Not more than one caravan, campervan
    or boat shall be so kept or stored.
    2. The caravan, campervan or boat shall not
    be used for the storage, display,
    advertisement or sale of goods or for the
    purposes of any business.
    3. No caravan, campervan or boat shall be
    so kept or stored for more than 9 months
    in any year or occupied as a dwelling
    while so kept or stored.

Now here's the good news.
    The above is the requirement for exempt development, which means you can store a caravan on your land for 9 months without seeking permission (similar to building an small exempt exempt shed or extension). However, that doesn't mean that storing it beyond this is illegal - it simply means that in order to do so you need to get permission.
    (When somebody is carrying out major renovations or building new, they often moving into a caravan on the site for a short while. Then need to get council permission also)

So, the best solution from here would be to apply to the council for permission imo.

Reply to the council's letter, or call down in person and speak to them.
    Tell them that you got the campervan last august, used it a few times and have stored in on your drive for, so far for <9 months, in accordance with SCHEDULE 2, PART 1: Exempted Development, Class 8, of the Planning and Development Act.
    Explain that you intend to apply for planning permission, to store the campervan at your home when it is not it use. State that the campervan will at no time be occupied as a dwelling and you are happy for the permission to be conditioned as such and that you will remove the campervan until after permission is granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

Jees, that document has 387 pages any help as to where to find the piece quoted.

Just use Search - Ctrl-F

The key thing here is what is permissible is covered under an exemption to planning laws. The exemption specifically deals with storage which would imply that it is being left there and not used regularly. Staying in a caravan, campervan or boat is dealt with in a different section.

You may have a point with the definition of a campervan but as this is planning law I don't think the vehicle classifications apply. They just need to rely on the dictionary definition.

Is it a calendar year or a period of 12 months?

• Advertisement

db wrote: »
    Just use Search - Ctrl-F

The key thing here is what is permissible is covered under an exemption to planning laws. The exemption specifically deals with storage which would imply that it is being left there and not used regularly. Staying in a caravan, campervan or boat is dealt with in a different section.

You may have a point with the definition of a campervan but as this is planning law I don't think the vehicle classifications apply. They just need to rely on the dictionary definition.

Exactly. As per my post #45.

I park my campervan on my drive when not in use, as I do my car, I do not store it on my drive. I think people are misinterpreting/misusing the word Store.

If in doubt get legal advice. Most solicitors give free initial consultation and if it came to it I would rather pay a solicitor to fight this than to pay for STORAGE away from my home.

I park my campervan on my drive when not in use, as I do my car, I do not store it on my drive. I think people are misinterpreting/misusing the word Store.
    Would it be fair to say you keep it on your drive when not in use?

Because that's all it is. "Store" doesn't really come into it.

Under the Road Traffic Act, to park is to use, so even if it's parked it's being used!

Under the Road Traffic Act, to park is to use, so even if it's parked it's being used!

Agreed. Therefore it is not being stored. In the winter I store mine in the barn.

Mellor wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say you keep it on your drive when not in use?

Because that's all it is. "Store" doesn't really come into it.

I think you'll find that all the regulations quoted use the word "Store".

These regulations are not from the road traffic act. The P&D act is completely separate.
    I think you'll find that all the regulations quoted use the word "Store".
    I think you need to check again.

From my post #49 above;
    CLASS 8
    The keeping or storing of a caravan,
    campervan or boat within the curtilage of a
    house.
    1. Not more than one caravan, campervan
    or boat shall be so kept or stored.
    2. The caravan, campervan or boat shall not
    be used for the storage, display,
    advertisement or sale of goods or for the
    purposes of any business.
    3. No caravan, campervan or boat shall be
    so kept or stored for more than 9 months
    in any year or occupied as a dwelling
    while so kept or stored.

wiki says "In law, the curtilage of a house or dwelling is the land immediately surrounding it, including any closely associated buildings and structures, but excluding any associated "open fields beyond", and also excluding any closely associated buildings, structures, or divisions that contain the separate intimate activities of its own respective occupants with those occupying residents being persons other than those residents of the house or dwelling of which the building is associated. It delineates the boundary within which a home owner can have a reasonable expectation of privacy and where "intimate home activities" take place. It is an important legal concept in certain jurisdictions for the understanding of search and seizure, conveyancing of real property, burglary, trespass, and land use planning.

In urban properties, the location of the curtilage may be evident from the position of fences, wall and similar; within larger properties it may be a matter of some legal debate as to where the private area ends and the 'open fields' start.[1]"

"These regulations are not from the road traffic act. The P&D act is completely separate".
    That's my point, you're not keeping it or storing it. you're using it! Don't forget that it's an MPV under any Act. Does the P&D Act define keep and store? I can't find any definition in the Act. Once taxed DOE'd and insured you're entitled to use it (in a public place), The 9 months things is open to interpretation. Is it a calendar year or a continuous period of 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

wiki says "In law, the curtilage of a house or dwelling is the land immediately surrounding it, including any closely associated buildings and structures, but excluding any associated "open fields beyond", and also excluding any closely associated buildings, structures, or divisions that contain the separate intimate activities of its own respective occupants with those occupying residents being persons other than those residents of the house or dwelling of which the building is associated. It delineates the boundary within which a home owner can have a reasonable expectation of privacy and where "intimate home activities" take place. It is an important legal concept in certain jurisdictions for the understanding of search and seizure, conveyancing of real property, burglary, trespass, and land use planning.

In urban properties, the location of the curtilage may be evident from the position of fences, wall and similar; within larger properties it may be a matter of some legal debate as to where the private area ends and the 'open fields' start.[1]"

Hi
    According to my land registry deeds my curtilage extends to the crown of the road and the area of my property includes half the area of the road ,This probably adds nothing to the thread but it might be kept in mind that there is a difference between rural and urban land registry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

I've a neighbour at my back of house, spent a fortune widening his side entrance (luckily he has the space), he reverses it in and you only see the front then he has gates its super job altogether, looks fab you'd barely notice it was there

Advertisement