Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OAP Weekend lineup on 2fm

Options
  • 28-08-2015 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Dave Fanning, Larry Gogan, Rick O'Shea, Colm Hayes, Will Leahy...

I wonder will the older generation last long on weekends or is this just a temporary move. Things are starting to take shape with the new weekday lineup with further rumours circulating but the weekends are worrying.

Don't get me wrong some of these presenters are broadcasting legends but they need to move on with their careers. Plenty of other stations would benefit greatly from these individuals, personally I think it's time to move on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

I've had my fill of these moronic ageist threads peddling nasty, vicious, & vindictive vitriol against decent professionals. I couldn't care less about their ages - only that they entertain me and enrich my day in some little way. ALL the names listed above are excellent in their own way and completely undeserving of all this persistent online ageist bullying that imo characterises this forum. Yet there are these saddos that that want us to believe that a radio presenter's ability to achieve this must primarily be determined from their Birth Certs - they seriously need to finish growing up themselves and maybe start learning to make a contribution to society beyond keyboard trolling and character assassinations. They might then appreciate that the society they live in and depend upon is richly diverse and to respect all those who make it so - the so-called "OAP" presenters included.

I would thank you twice,if I could.........

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've had my fill of these moronic ageist threads peddling nasty, vicious, & vindictive vitriol against decent professionals. I couldn't care less about their ages - only that they entertain me and enrich my day in some little way. ALL the names listed above are excellent in their own way and completely undeserving of all this persistent online ageist bullying that imo characterises this forum. Yet there are these saddos that that want us to believe that a radio presenter's ability to achieve this must primarily be determined from their Birth Certs - they seriously need to finish growing up themselves and maybe start learning to make a contribution to society beyond keyboard trolling and character assassinations. They might then appreciate that the society they live in and depend upon is richly diverse and to respect all those who make it so - the so-called "OAP" presenters included.

Age doesn't matter. Style and outlook certainly does however. The named presenters do not present shows that appeal to a younger audience IMO (as proven by listenership) which 2FM seem to be aiming for now.

So while I agree with you that just writing a presenter off based on age is moronic, I also agree with the OP in that I think it's time some of these presenters move on. Larry could take a nice show on RTE Gold or retire, Colm would probably find a suitable home on a regional or local station, same with Will Leahy. Dave Fanning could do well as a cover or weekend host on R1, and I think weekends would suit Rick O'Shea as he's probably the closest to what I'd consider to be 2FM's target now...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Age doesn't matter. Style and outlook certainly does however. The named presenters do not present shows that appeal to a younger audience IMO (as proven by listenership) which 2FM seem to be aiming for now.

So while I agree with you that just writing a presenter off based on age is moronic, I also agree with the OP in that I think it's time some of these presenters move on. Larry could take a nice show on RTE Gold or retire, Colm would probably find a suitable home on a regional or local station, same with Will Leahy. Dave Fanning could do well as a cover or weekend host on R1, and I think weekends would suit Rick O'Shea as he's probably the closest to what I'd consider to be 2FM's target now...
    Fair points, however, the OP offered no stylistic or content rationale - only that because these "individuals" are "OAP/older generation" they need to be moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

It's weekend radio, very little people care who is on, if the music is good they'll stick with it. It's also being used as a dumping ground for over paid talent who they don't want during peak hours but have to keep for contractual reasons. Monday to Friday, 7 to 7 is the important stuff for 2fm now as they try to find an identity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 tsofitch

..completely undeserving of all this persistent online ageist bullying that imo characterises this forum.

It's not ageism, it's the presenters style and how they come across on air. 2FM wants to target the younger generation and when you have presenters who imo sound bored an un happy on air playing the latest song from Avcii then you have a problem. Like it or not these presenters don't suit the brand.
    Yet there are these saddos that that want us to believe that a radio presenter's ability to achieve this must primarily be determined from their Birth Certs

Once again it has nothing to do with age - look at Steve K - number one drive in Dublin and he must be 40+ Difference between him and the above is that on air he comes accorss as if he's bloody excited playing the latest CHR **** and sells the brand very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

I think the new weekend schedule from October looks daft, Rick O Shea getting sandwiched between Fanning and Gogan. also does Rick need such a big team for 4 hours of weekend radio ? 2fm have dropped the housewife mid morning talk from weekdays so Fannings talk show continuing seems out of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

The whole schedule is out of kilter. All these jocks and not a song pre 1990 in sight. This PD needs to **** or get off the pot. Either turn it into a youth targeted station or don't
    There's no middle ground now. He's made his choice in his own words has "destroyed" it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

bbability wrote: »
    The whole schedule is out of kilter. All these jocks and not a song pre 1990 in sight. This PD needs to **** or get off the pot. Either turn it into a youth targeted station or don't
    There's no middle ground now. He's made his choice in his own words has "destroyed" it.

I would have agreed with you 12 months ago about him, but now I'm starting to believe he's playing the long game with 2FM. I'd be really interested to see the contracts the DJs who've been moved to the weekend are on, because I'm starting to believe that, given the choice, Healy would be rid of most of them, but is constrained by legacy contracts.

I could be totally wrong of course, maybe he actually believes this weekend schedule is good, but I think it's more likely that this is their last stop off before the job fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I would have agreed with you 12 months ago about him, but now I'm starting to believe he's playing the long game with 2FM. I'd be really interested to see the contracts the DJs who've been moved to the weekend are on, because I'm starting to believe that, given the choice, Healy would be rid of most of them, but is constrained by legacy contracts.

I could be totally wrong of course, maybe he actually believes this weekend schedule is good, but I think it's more likely that this is their last stop off before the job fair.

Playing the long game indeed, it took him 2 years to make the wholesale fundamental schedule changes which he should have made post June 2013 when he started. He's played a clever game, pushing out changes to look like he's giving the old guard a fair crack but in the meantime extending his tenure over 2fm on the back of protracted changes.

In reality 2fm is big enough to have paid off any existing contracts in 2013 , make the changes needed, employ a whole new raft of on air talent on suitable salaries. If Healy had done that, we'd be 2 years further down the line, Gogan, Fanning and Hayes would all be a distant memory. Perhaps at this stage, 2 years on, 2fm might have a unified message / brand / identity all across the week regardless of who's on air.
    Instead we now have not one but two 2fms , a quasi-youth station during the week, while at the weekend we have 2fm gold. It's nonsense. How long more should Healy have before rte bosses change tack again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

heybaby wrote: »
    In reality 2fm is big enough to have paid off any existing contracts in 2013

RTEs financial situation was absolutely dire at that point - if someone had multiple years unexpired on their contract, paying the termination fee would have been unfeasible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

L1011 wrote: »
    RTEs financial situation was absolutely dire at that point - if someone had multiple years unexpired on their contract, paying the termination fee would have been unfeasible

Great point ! There would be uproar if they tried to pay them for nothing or put them on gardening leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Great point ! There would be uproar if they tried to pay them for nothing or put them on gardening leave.

But if presenters arent doing a good job and failing to bring in listeners why keep them on the air for another year or two till their contracts run out? Surely that does more damage in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

reg114 wrote: »
    But if presenters arent doing a good job and failing to bring in listeners why keep them on the air for another year or two till their contracts run out? Surely that does more damage in the long run?

Tell that to the "sheep" public who only see X getting paid for doing nothing. Its all optics.

heybaby wrote: »
    Playing the long game indeed, it took him 2 years to make the wholesale fundamental schedule changes which he should have made post June 2013 when he started. He's played a clever game, pushing out changes to look like he's giving the old guard a fair crack but in the meantime extending his tenure over 2fm on the back of protracted changes.

In reality 2fm is big enough to have paid off any existing contracts in 2013 , make the changes needed, employ a whole new raft of on air talent on suitable salaries. If Healy had done that, we'd be 2 years further down the line, Gogan, Fanning and Hayes would all be a distant memory. Perhaps at this stage, 2 years on, 2fm might have a unified message / brand / identity all across the week regardless of who's on air.
    Instead we now have not one but two 2fms , a quasi-youth station during the week, while at the weekend we have 2fm gold. It's nonsense. How long more should Healy have before rte bosses change tack again.
    reg114 wrote: »

I have no inside knowledge of how things operate at RTE. However, EVERYTHING I've ever heard about the corporate culture there is that it's very much a jobs for life situation. If Healy had come in, dishing out P45s as he walked through the office for the first time, to some of RTEs legacy names (Tubridy, Gogan, Rick O'Shea, Fanning) I honestly don't think that would have ended well for him.

It would have been the braver move, yes, ut definitely not the smart move.

By letting it go for 2 years, he avoided having to pay out termination fees, avoided potential negative press for axing household names in favour of, likely, untested talent and all while the station basically kept ticking over. No dramatic losses (IIRC it was pretty much at the bottom when he took over anyway), so no real loss in ad revenue.

Now, he's basically changed up the entire weekday schedule. Let's ignore weekends for a second, because it's weekday's that matter most. Breakfast Republic has made gains, Nicky Byrne holding strong, new mid morning and drivetime shows - honestly, I think from a business point of view he's played this pretty well.

The real test basically starts now though. If there isn't some sign of improvement over the next 4-5 books, then serious questions are going to have to be asked.

But for now, Healy has gone up in estimations from when it looked like he was pigheadedly sticking with the old guard. I'm more optimistic about 2FM than I've been in years. It won't be a station I'd personally listen to, but I think for the first time in long time, it has the potential to attract an audience and build a coherent identity (weekends excepted).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Less than 10 years ago Colm Hayes and Will Leahy were presenting two of the most popular shows for under 35s in the country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Less than 10 years ago Colm Hayes and Will Leahy were presenting two of the most popular shows for under 35s in the country.

Shows how quickly you can go off your game or are reliant on another presenter (Hayes) more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 4 band radio

Fanning is the only oap weekend presenter who seems to be ever on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Fanning is the only oap weekend presenter who seems to be ever on.

he isn't pension age yet:)

but will leahy, colm hayes and larry gogan I would say have only presented 65% of their shows since this weekend schedule started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

Who did weekend breakfast this weekend ? Colm hayes is still listed on the epg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Who did weekend breakfast this weekend ? Colm hayes is still listed on the epg

Stephen byrne from 2tube done it today and yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Mr Snow wrote: »
    Stephen byrne from 2tube done it today and yesterday

are you sure it was him?...all the young fill-in presenters sound the same:D

I have no inside knowledge of how things operate at RTE. However, EVERYTHING I've ever heard about the corporate culture there is that it's very much a jobs for life situation. If Healy had come in, dishing out P45s as he walked through the office for the first time, to some of RTEs legacy names (Tubridy, Gogan, Rick O'Shea, Fanning) I honestly don't think that would have ended well for him.
    That's rather annoying if true, and it more thank likely is true.

The rationale underpinning high salaries for contractors includes the argument that their work is very fickle, so they must be remunerated well in lieu of job stability.

This also allows them to avoid the same degree of taxation that is applied to you & I.

It's all a cod if they end up enjoying de facto job security whilst entitled to higher remuneration for 'instability' and meanwhile avoiding income tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

Louise McSharry was filling in for fanning this morning, i thought they always played a pre recording when he was on holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

tsofitch wrote: »
    Dave Fanning, Larry Gogan, Rick O'Shea, Colm Hayes, Will Leahy...

I wonder will the older generation last long on weekends or is this just a temporary move. Things are starting to take shape with the new weekday lineup with further rumours circulating but the weekends are worrying.

Don't get me wrong some of these presenters are broadcasting legends but they need to move on with their careers. Plenty of other stations would benefit greatly from these individuals, personally I think it's time to move on.

Ageist rant, pal.

I think it's time to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Ageist rant, pal.

I think it's time to move on.

Maybe they have moved on in the full year since they posted that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Did anyone listen to Fannings (post 2000) Fab 50 this year ? Who still says fab ffs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did anyone listen to Fannings (post 2000) Fab 50 this year ? Who still says fab ffs ?

Was it on this year ? I'm sure I read it wasn't on this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Itssoeasy wrote: »

I definitely heard Eoghan McDermott talking about being asked to contribute to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Itssoeasy wrote:

It was - the 23rd and 24th iirc. Think it wasn't on last year.

Advertisement