Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2015 **MOD warning in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Jazzzman wrote: »
    Who are these guys coming in to fill the void?

Besides McIlroy, we're left with the usual plethora of talented golfers but none of them with the ability to dominate like Tiger.

I'm not saying the players will necessarily feel like a title is cheapened, but as a viewer I certainly do.

Also, keep in mind it was about 1 year or so ago when Tiger was last fully fit and winning regularly on tour.

Sometimes I get the impression people forget how good Tiger was in 2013.

Did i say that anybody would dominate like Tiger? ....lets be honest and look purely at the facts since his last win in august 2013 he has been a shadow of himself due to injury or personal reasons only he knows which it is an why.

Are we to also just ignore the fact that tiger woods has not won a major since 2008 aswell. Im a Tiger fan but am not buying the perception that tournaments are somehow cheapened without him and things are moving on regardless, there is a new kid on the block in the shape of mcilroy who if an keep his head screwed on has a lot of years ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,843 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Did i say that anybody would dominate like Tiger? ....lets be honest and look purely at the facts since his last win in august 2013 he has been a shadow of himself due to injury or personal reasons only he knows which it is an why.

Are we to also just ignore the fact that tiger woods has not won a major since 2008 aswell. Im a Tiger fan but am not buying the perception that tournaments are somehow cheapened without him and things are moving on regardless, there is a new kid on the block in the shape of mcilroy who if an keep his head screwed on has a lot of years ahead of him.

but sure the same could be said of his previous drop of form after his ahemmm car crash, then a couple years in the sidelines, he is back to his best, and in 2013 he was at his best, that was not long ago. he is young, @39 and has many many golf years ahead of him

i would love to see him return to form and compete regularily. in fairness, it probably won't happen that he gets anywhere near dominating again, but write him off at your peril

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Seve OB wrote: »
    but sure the same could be said of his previous drop of form after his ahemmm car crash, then a couple years in the sidelines, he is back to his best, and in 2013 he was at his best, that was not long ago. he is young, @39 and has many many golf years ahead of him

i would love to see him return to form and compete regularily. in fairness, it probably won't happen that he gets anywhere near dominating again, but write him off at your peril

Im not writing him off and at his best he is a force of nature im just making the point (badly :D) that the perception that golf tournaments are cheapened without him is imo not accurate as its happening so often in the last two years things are moving on in spite of his absence.

The comment i made about the sideshow was in reference to the farmers, he clearly wasnt right and he carried on clearly in pain but then he still tries to take the cover off the ball and starts grimacing etc..its all so needless and the cameras love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

The same guy who had a shocker of a year in 2013?

It can happen to anyone. Tiger has suffered tremendously from injuries. When fit he's still top dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,843 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Im not writing him off and at his best he is a force of nature im just making the point (badly :D) that the perception that golf tournaments are cheapened without him is imo not accurate as its happening so often in the last two years things are moving on in spite of his absence.

The comment i made about the sideshow was in reference to the farmers, he clearly wasnt right and he carried on clearly in pain but then he still tries to take the cover off the ball and starts grimacing etc..its all so needless and the cameras love it.

yea fair point.. i see what you mean and agree. im not to sure about the pain though... i think the pain was in his head...like rorys toothache, he just manages it better..... playing crap and wanted out of there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

I'm looking forward to seeing how Shane Lowry gets on. I really think he has the game to win a major. And boy would I love to see it. I think he is a world top twenty player. Agusta might be a bit soon the first time but maybe in two or three years he could give it a rattle. I know I am being slightly biased but I really rate Shane as a golfer and a person. No big fanfare with him just keeps it real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

was just going to post about shane.
    Defo going to pick him as a top 10 finish in each Major for the upcoming majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Cabrera going well at the Northern Trust at the moment. He could be one to watch, always good for doing nothing for two years before tearing up Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I wouldn't give Tiger any hope at all of winning this to be honest. That's presuming he even plays in it. I'm not writing his career off but I think no matter what he does in the next 7 weeks this event will just come too soon for him.

Hard to look past Rory, in such great form and his game should perfectly suit the place. I expect him to go off as the shortest priced favourite since Tiger in his pomp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭benny79

Im going all out and saying its Rory's to lose! He be well up for this and prepared! With the grand slam extra motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

3 ball

Mcilroy, Lowry, Harrington

Yes please

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ForeRight wrote: »
    3 ball

Yes please

Yes - the other two lads got bad news today :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Yes - the other two lads got bad news today :P:D

Actually, I think Shane will be very pleased for him. Not quite sure how Rory will feel about it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

abff wrote: »
    Not quite sure how Rory will feel about it, though.

Is there any issue between them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

glack wrote: »

No issue... Rory likes fast play and Paddy is.... well he is... methodical! :D They won't be paired together anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ForeRight wrote: »
    3 ball

Yes please

We wouldn't GMac be in there ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

glack wrote: »

No particular issue. I just think that Lowry will be pleased for Padraig because he considers him a mate; McIlroy may see him as a possible threat to his career grand slam aspirations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

In fairness.

As a fan - Padraig's carry on, would test a saint. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

B_vJxjdWIAAXkHC.jpg:large

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anyone here lucky enough to be going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

This is pretty well done

Gotta love that music!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭Speak Now

5 Irish players in such a select field in pretty decent going, only one yet to win a major ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

5 Irish players in such a select field in pretty decent going, only one yet to win a major ;)

That's some feat when you put it like that.

I'm fancying Stenson to do the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That's going to make it great TV for us - can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Anyone here lucky enough to be going?

Next year, tickets sorted, accom sorted, flights not sorted lol.....

Early planning but will be once in a lifetime blowout!

Is it 2016 yet??

how do you get tickets for it? taught it was a lottery!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

a certain amount are lottery, i got lucky by playing with somebody who is a member there a few years ago and have stayed in touch, hes coming over here this year for some golf and ill organise some things for him as hes given me 2 tickets for 2016!

Jammy Git! Now that is real golf p*rn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Who ever wins it it won't be McDowell anyway.

His low ball flight is killer here. I remember a interview he did last year where he was practially in tears after a round and he knew his game is not good enough around Masters.

Pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Breaking news this evening !!! The Masters is cancelled this year !!! :eek:
    Really !!!
    slave1 wrote: »
    B_vJxjdWIAAXkHC.jpg:large

You can see why in the above photo.

Apparently a leaf has not conformed to Augusta standards and has fallen from its branch without prior committee approval.
    You can see it in the photo above which has gone viral today. Like most others, I find it repulsive and am sorry I looked at it.

If you dare to look, see it about half a metre in from the verge on the lower section of the photo. The tournament committee has apologised and issued a statement (http://www.masters.com/index.html) stating it will not subject its competitors and patrons to substandard course and facility conditions and will only run the tournament again once it can guarantee the standards expected of the Masters.

The leaf you see in the photograph has been apprehended and is being held in a secure location. The tree that dropped it has already been cut down, and replaced by another, of similar age and shape which is indistinguishable from the original to all but the most trained eye.
    Notice of a law suit has been served on the supplier of the tree.
    The chairman of the Magnolia Drive Mainatenance Committee has been detained and is being interrogated by the FBI.
    Billy Payne has tendered his resignation saying the humiliation of such an event happening on his watch will haunt him for the rest of his days "if we cannot control when a leaf falls from its tree, then it is clear we are unfit to manage this sacred ground to the standards Bob would have expected. My shame is infinite".
    The whole course perimeter has been sealed off by Georgia National Guard and the the city of August is in a state of Emergency.
    Barack Obama has launched a federal enquiry, reporting to him personally.

Advertisement