Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Gamepass blackouts. Will you be signing up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Not going to happen, IMO. English football is built on Sky's cash and this would jeopardise that. Plus the principle of splitting that TV cash fairly evenly between the 20 is pretty entrenched. The 'big' clubs would have loved to have been able to sell their own rights off years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

This might be on the way in the not too distant future. Most fans just want to watch their own teams play, a season pass that costs ~€200 would be snapped up; making a fortune for the big teams. 1m fans x €200...... the big teams would be licking their lips at that. Easy money.
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    Not going to happen, IMO. English football is built on Sky's cash and this would jeopardise that. Plus the principle of splitting that TV cash fairly evenly between the 20 is pretty entrenched. The 'big' clubs would have loved to have been able to sell their own rights off years ago.

I wouldnt be so sure on that, the Sky CEO has publicly said that Sky cant afford another similar % jump in rights costs as happened last time around.
    We are about to enter the 2nd year of that 3 year deal, so it's likely the rights will come up for auction towards the end of the year with an announcement in Jan/Feb going by previous auctions.

Apple/Google/FB etc could all bid, but the reality is people still like watching games on a TV screen so they have no great means of delivery of content. Even BT have more cash than Sky but again they dont control the delivery of content (not that many of their customers have BT TV).

imho, a model like gamepass is a while away, purely because the mindset is" sky will pay us loads of money upfront". One would assume the GP model will mean more of a trickle of money in and less guaranteed but potentially more in total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Patww79 wrote: »

looks like €159, pretty sure it does. No word yet (i dont think) on new or upgraded xbox app for it.

Personally i watch on my laptop

• Advertisement

tbh i go the the kids room normally and sit on a bean bag so its more comfortable to watch it on the laptop.

If there's no one around, i'd watch on the xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

In regards to casting, yes you can! There's a cast button on the mobile/tablet app, so I just use that with my Chromecast and TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

Wouldn't do for me in this day and age. I want to sit on my sofa and look at my TV on a proper sized screen. It's very poor that this has been going for years and they have no android TV app.

I'll do a bit more research on the casting though as that would suit spot on.

What I done when I couldn't watch it on xbox I connected the laptop to the TV with HDmi cable and it worked fine,

All playoffs game's were available on gamepass last year, so I'm presuming it's the same this year, don't forget you get all the hard knocks, undrafted and a football life programs which is a great watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Bought it yesterday. 159€ after a week free trial. Loving it so far. Can't wait for the preseason games to start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

looks like €159, pretty sure it does. No word yet (i dont think) on new or upgraded xbox app for it.

Personally i watch on my laptop

New Xbox app is coming 1st of August I think.

Loughc wrote: »

Any way of watching it through PS4??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gerryfed wrote: »
    Any way of watching it through PS4??

PS4 app coming during the season, whatever that means.

Actually Xbox is now early August. They wanna hurry up. I want to watch through my Xbox.

28gv7ux.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Cheers. If I see the android app on August 1st I'm purchasing.

I've been chrome casting it the last two years; it works perfectly. Plus, the blackouts aren't there if you're in (or appear to be in) another European country bar the UK.

Last year there was a Topcashback offer. I don't see that at the moment. Don't know if it's worth waiting to see if one comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

Can you install kodi on your android tv? Or TVMC or SPMC, there is a gamepass app on kodi which is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah, just go into the settings, enter your username and password and away you go. I change a couple of things in the settings too. So check the settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

FYI you can get in fairly easily to the website via the xbox web browser- i did it the other day since there's no app yet. It's a little fiddly but no big deal until the app comes out.

FYI you can get in fairly easily to the website via the xbox web browser- i did it the other day since there's no app yet. It's a little fiddly but no big deal until the app comes out.

Can you get the video to play full screen on the web browser on the Xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Can you get the video to play full screen on the web browser on the Xbox?

I think so, yeah. I'm trying to remember if I did but I'm 99% sure I did... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use sky
    So do you reckon the new apps will actually get released tomorrow or is that just wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So do you reckon the new apps will actually get released tomorrow or is that just wishful thinking?

You'd bloody well hope so.

I imagine the apple apps will be ready. I'm feeling doubtful for the Xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭Brian017

Well the fact that they nailed down very definite dates for every app except the PS4 one makes me believe that we will get them tomorrow. I expect they were pretty confident that they could meet that deadline or else they would have announced 'during the preseason/season' like they did with the PS4 version

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No new app yet lads. At 6am Irish time.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    No new app yet lads. At 6am Irish time.

I imagine it'll be around midday US time before we would see any movement.

• Advertisement

I imagine it'll be around midday US time before we would see any movement.

Yeah my bank account remains untouched! I've never been so keen to see money leave... just to see am I getting charged €105 or €159 or somewhere in between?!

Advertisement