Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Cutler was actually lucky last night. Miller was repeatedly held by the Bears OLmen. Even on the play when he stripped the ball from Cutler's hand Miller had to break from a hold on his facemask by the LT.

Cutler was definitely lucky in the fact there wasn't more interceptions - at least twice the WR had to play DB and force a knock down.

Holding is fine, it's about doing as much of it and not getting caught, every single team does it. I'm not criticising Miller or saying he'd a bad game. Just his PFF score doesn't reflect the fact he was nullified most of the night with just 3 tackles and the one strip sack - where he beat Leno not Long -yet Leno gets huge PFF score and Long a terrible one - makes no sense.

Even Millers quote after the game shows Long earned a bit of his respect

“I thought Kyle, initially when I saw the move of him going from guard to tackle, I thought it was a great move,” said Miller, who hasd six sacks on the season. “He is one of the most athletic linemen in the National Football League so I knew coming into the game, I knew he was going to be solid. He’s been solid at right tackle. He’s super athletic. Kyle is on a whole other level athletic-wise.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Obviously disappointed with the loss on Sunday but the overall picture is very positive, we'll be competitive on Thursday and might sneek a win. Not happy with Bennett he's not stepping up more .

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

poldebruin wrote: »
    I thought the Bears were unlucky yesterday. Give Cutler a healthy Jeffrey and I think they would have won the game (not to mention Royal and Forte also missing)

I always thought it would be a close game, glad Denver won, but really hope the Bears don't falter as a result. 6 games to go and if they can get healthy, I think they can surprise a few people if they can just drag themselves into the playoffs.

I don’t want to have given the impression that Alshon would have made the result a formality or anything, but we miss him hugely. Forte, imo, would have made little difference and Royal has been a total non-factor when healthy. Noone is kidding themselves here, there was a seismic gap in talent levels on Sunday and Chicago did well to keep thingsinteresting.

Thursday is the last real potential for a blowout imo so I hope we can stay competitive. Without Alshon I have doubts but fingers crossed.

Kevin White will train today which is positive, still be amazed if we saw him this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Didn't get to watch the game Sunday, but while I'm disappointed with the result and the lack of scores on offense, we're still competitive and people are saying we're a good team. Playoffs obviously not happening and draft order is starting to take shape, so I don't care too much about winds for the rest of the season. EXCEPT THURSDAY. I pretty much actually always prefer wins because on the day I'm supporting the team and the season is too short to spend it rooting against your team (also I'm a very big believer in the value of a winning mentality, there's a reason the jags and the browns have great draft position year after year and still suck while the pack and the patriots have late picks and are still always contenders). But even thinking about the draft...**** the packers. And **** their playoff ambitions.

Just re watching the second half and realised we completely blew the first play of it (as if giving up td's on the opening drive of 4 of our last 5 matches isn't bad enough).

The whole team plays the run on play action. Amos runs down past Daniels. Callahan stands around in a Sam position (like we ve 3 linebackers) and McClellin just stands like a fool with no one to cover while Daniels releases in behind him. Only Jones covering the Rb option does his job.

There's some nice stuff you see and then there is just the pure horrid like that thrown in.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Just re watching the second half and realised we completely blew the first play of it (as if giving up td's on the opening drive of 4 of our last 5 matches isn't bad enough).

The whole team plays the run on play action. Amos runs down past Daniels. Callahan stands around in a Sam position (like we ve 3 linebackers) and McClellin just stands like a fool with no one to cover while Daniels releases in behind him. Only Jones covering the Rb option does his job.

There's some nice stuff you see and then there is just the pure horrid like that thrown in.

Yeah what's the deal with our d on opening drives? It's like they need a rattle before they wake up that they're in a game

. But even thinking about the draft...**** the packers. And **** their playoff ambitions.

Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

xEclzVb.png

Delighted with that win. Decided not to stay up and watch as very busy in work at present and catching up on sleep with twin 2 year olds in the house is difficult.

Must have been on my mind though as woke at half time and checked the score on my phone and then woke again for the last 45 seconds of the game. Didn't get asleep after though.

Watched first bit of first quarter before work and hopefully watch the rest later.

Defense is now a real strength - shut out in 2nd half (again)! Fangio is insanely good imho - to produce this defence with the lack of talent is unreal.

I seen it put very well - the defence is 'sneaky' good - you don't expect much but they keep producing. They give up chunks and stupid plays but stiffen when needed.

This season has been highly highly enjoyable. Screw Trestman and screw Emery for hiring him. We wasted 2 years of our football lives there.

Great to see us trending upwards and we are getting better every week. These coaches are unreal.

PS Our ILB'ers are still pure s'hite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Oat23 wrote: »
    xEclzVb.png

Looks like the coach really did curse the packers.

• Advertisement

Body's in agony but I could not be happier. There's something about rooting for a team that's maxing out it's talent. And I should be banned from the net for knocking Vic the MVP last week.

Bear da fu*k down.

SameOleJay wrote:
    Body's in agony but I could not be happier. There's something about rooting for a team that's maxing out it's talent. And I should be banned from the net for knocking Vic the MVP last week.

SameOleJay wrote:
    Bear da fu*k down.

Amen to that, play off is possible but probably out of reach it might come down to the last week. Vikings v pack Bears v lions.

If we'd beaten the Lions or vikings we'd have a decent chance. It's very much a long shot now though. And I don't think we are near consistent enough to win out.

Think we-ll go 3-2 and end up 8-8

Here’s some of my takeaways.

-They clearly trust Langford and his burst was evident on a couple of runs which Forte just doesn’t have. The drop was awful but the amount of carries with a healthy Forte suggests we’ve all but moved on here. You can’t go the committee route and pay one 6 odd mill a year. That’s kamikaze stuff.
    -Strange day for the o-line. A lot of mistakes and some bad beats but they grew into it. It’s a right-guard short of being very decent I think with Kyle and Grasu only going to get better. The Slauson signing looks the apex of the Emery era to me.
    -Jay played well without excelling. I can’t have been the only one fearing another nightmare in Lambeau with how things started out but he’s clearly a different guy now. I don’t know why, but it’s huge for me that he legitimately outplayed A-Rod.
    -Alshon is still not fit but him on one leg makes the world of difference. The blessing of the injuries is that Wilson now looks an NFL receiver with his chance and Mariani was monstrous on 3rd down. Royal, Marty and K-White with those who played last night is something of an embarrassment of riches. Especially with the receiving threats from the backfield.

-I’m starting every Sunday with a silent homage to Vic Fangio.
    -What a turnaround at corner-back. It’s been incredible. They all legitimately looked like bums the first couple weeks. Fuller isn’t noticed these last few weeks because his coverage is so good (Top 10 CB per PFF since week 2!!!!). Porter has been an incredible signing. Callaghan has skills too and is doing well for someone thrown straight in at the deep end. His missed tackle on the kick return was awful though.
    -We’re crap at ILB. Shea could be a decent option but he is no primary option by any stretch.
    -The OLBs are finally stepping up outside McPhee. Young just rushes well and Houston looks a genuinely good player. I would imagine Acho’s starting days are numbered.
    -Sutton a healthy scratch was interesting. I feel like the line is fragile but just about holding up.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Looks like the coach really did curse the packers.

He knew what he was doing.

I was delighted with that for the obvious reason that it's the packers, and we couldn't buy a win for years against them, and have been listening to a lot of smug dismissals of the bears from their fans, including just this week. But the amount of incredible performances from a d that looked on paper at the beginning of the year like no hopers was fantastic.

Major downside last night: penalties. After having none last week, they very nearly cost us the damn game, it was infuriating to watch. Buy it's a side issue. Going to soldier field next week for the 9ers game, should be a very good atmosphere now the packers monkey is off our back. And two nights having the craic in Chicago, including with a packers fan, so that'll be nice.

Love this coaching team. Beating the packers should always be a high priority goal, and I always think it's a good barometer of how we are succeeding, failing, and progressing. So right now we're progressing.

A nice break now for the players until next Sunday v 49'ers, Jeffrey and Forte should be fully or 90% fit. Players full of confidence now so anything is possible this year. I'm going for 9-7 and no play offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Fantastic result. So enjoying the season, being competitive in every single game is great. Was pissed after loosing against Denver last week as I really thought they were there for the taking. Really think with a couple of additions in the off-season and the Bears will be a force next season. That is based on keeping Gase and Fargo which won't be easy. Still a slim chance of the playoffs.

Fair play to Ryan pace - hiring fox was an obvious but brilliant decision.

McPhee was a great addition even if Royal and Ball haven't worked out (with Royal he wasn't to know he'd be constantly inured).

The draft and udfa is looking very good but I have to give fox and his coaches credit for this - I've no doubt had you given the exact same players to treatman, tucker and co they d look sh'it, be scared and ruined.

The way they've turned around fuller is a testemant to that. Hell they ve even made McClellin look serviceable at time.

For me the biggest difference between a good staff and a bad staff is putting guys in a position to succeed through scheme etc, getting players to play for you and finding players from nowhere. Fox and co are players coaches and it's exactly what they ve done. They ve found players in Anderson, Callahan, Leno, Miller, porter, gaston, they've made Amos look like a first round safety rather than a 5th. They ve turned around cutler, Houston, fuller etc. They ve made Wilson look better.

Literally the only player I see playing worse is Bennett.

They've given Goldman, grasu, Langford and Amos their chances - all early in the season and all have produced to some degree.

I honestly think they ve done a brilliant job.

I do think saying we'll be a force or a cert for a playoffs next year is way way too early - overall we lack talent. We're in the unfortunate to have Rodgers and Green Bay in our division. Even with a good free agency and draft it's going to be tough. It's hard to go from competitive to comfortably beating bad teams on regular basis (which is what good teams do).

It's the way they are finding talent and getting production that excites - that's what the Patriots and the like do. Hopefully they can keep doing that so we can restock this roster properly.

Well worth a read - some good stats in there.

Now 2nd in league in pass defense, only behind the Broncos.

If only we could get the rush defense sorted but it won't happen with those ILBers. Houston has made a big difference on the edge on run plays from what I can see but it's not enough of a difference when we've a rookie NT (doing well but inconsistent from play to play) and are using Unrein & Gaston up the middle with soft LBers behind.

Tribune reporting that Marty B is unhappy with his deal and sat as a result. Told Fox he wanted more red zone targets and Fox said he didn't care.

The lad is as good as gone. It's a shame as it was a great contract and he has the potential to be dominant with that athleticism.

• Advertisement

Shame about Bennett, he was a rare bright spot in the offense last year. Heard he didn't even watch the green bay game. He's a bit of a me feiner anyway, so not surprised he'd get annoyed when his back up is scoring touchdowns.

On the bright side Kevin white has started doing individual drills. Would like to see him debut this year.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Marty! Was always going to happen, which is part of the reason they've been going to Miller anyway

If White pans out this offense is for real. Good luck stacking safeties inside with him and Alshon wide.

Shame we won’t get a bag of rocks for Marty given his production. How can you be so stupid.

How are we feeling about the game Sunday? I'm going to be at it, only my second time being in Soldier Field (a loss to the Packers a few years ago, hopefully it'll go better than that), anyone any tailgating advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

How are we feeling about the game Sunday? I'm going to be at it, only my second time being in Soldier Field (a loss to the Packers a few years ago, hopefully it'll go better than that), anyone any tailgating advice?

Enjoy it.

Good tailgating stands close to the ground.

Man, this team finds new ways to kill you all the time.

2 drives aside the D were great. 2 drives aside the offence were crap.

That's all she wrote for Gould. With a boot as weak as his you need to be money inside 50. Shame, another to the list of positions that needs addressing.

My wife had great craic laughing at my reactions - from despair at that qb run, to sheer joy at that return to punching the chair when Gould missed. And just head in hands with the long pass.

We lost to Blaine gabbert dear lord.

Our red zone offence is just awful and although cutler is undoubtedly playing better and generally looking after the ball better there is still a serious lack of passing tds.

Is Gould gone? Unforgivable imo

Oh God this team would break your heart. From the packers to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Oh God this team would break your heart. From the packers to that?

How did the tailgating go?

Advertisement