Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Absolutely enormous performance yesterday. Every unit brought the goods. Every unit looked well drilled (even the special teams coverage!) I fyou didn’t enjoy that I think you’re crazy. Pats, Packers, Pittsburgh… I don’t care what offense were playing yesterday, none would have done a better job than Gase and co. When McPhee was called out I looked at the defensive personnel and saw a CFL team. Nothing more needs to be said about Fangio at this stage.

Some random thoughts.

-Offensive line played very well. I liked how we loaded up in blocking with the TEs. Trusting the wide-outs and backs to get separation. Nothing too clever, just smart coaching.
    -Jay played the blitz packages like a boss, rendering Donald, Quinn et all far less effective.
    - Langford was obviously great but Carey impressed me hugely too.
    -Secondary were outstanding. Special mention for Fuller who has recovered from a hideous start. There’s definitely a player there
    -Young and Houston are playing for their future and are finally showing up. Young is hard not to root for.
    -Shea looks a competent player. No greater a testament can you give a DC.
    -Mariani was awful but the rest of the STs was promising. POD especially is impressing me.

A top 5 pick is totally out of the question so everyone just needs to enjoy watching a very well coached team. A play-off push is out of reach but I’m fully on board for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Manning maybe not playing next week and Fox will know exactly what do to with Osweiler. Game is on SKY at 6 can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Badabing wrote: »
    Manning maybe not playing next week and Fox will know exactly what do to with Osweiler. Game is on SKY at 6 can't wait.

Yeah that'll be an interesting game for a lot of reasons. They suddenly look very vulnerable (although they'll be on the war path now). One thing for sure, Fox isn't going to want to lose to them one little bit, and the mockery Cutler has taken from their fans over the years, I can see those two guys being very teed up for this one. Their D is, of course, yet another step up on anything we've faced this year, so anything resembling a good performance on offence and I'd be happy. But their O is faltering badly. I know we'll be against a different QB, but if Kansas can cause them that much trouble, we should be setting the bar of expectations very high for our D this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I's great to be able to be positive for once. I'm not just negative for the sake of it!:)

I won't even tease you for watching the game a 2nd time this week. I wouldn't mind doing it myself if I get time, just to watch the offensive play-calls. What a difference a co-ordinator makes. I'd virtually given up on Jay last season, and it's night-and-day this season.

His reading of situations and decision-making seems so much better, he has virtually no interceptions this season of the 'bad Jay' variety, where he's made a bad decision to throw the ball. The only ones have been the odd off-target ones, or on the receiver, which you can live with.

I hope we can hold onto Gase at the end of this season. I think it would be a bit in his interest to stay a bit longer, because he could achieve something really good with Cutler and the offensive talent (get Kevin White back opposite Jeffery, fix up the offensive line).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Deforest Buckner - that's a player to watch for us draft wise. ;)

• Advertisement

We are somehow 4th in passing yard given up - with only Denver, Seattle and the Titans ahead of us.

We are somehow 4th in passing yard given up - with only Denver, Seattle and the Titans ahead of us.

Total yards can be a misleading stat when you play a clock-eating offensive style like the Bears do. Pace-independent stats like yards-per-pass-allowed and yards-per-rush-allowed are better:

Yards-per-pass-allowed (13th):
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt/position/defense

Yards-per-rush-allowed (27th):
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt/position/defense

Didn't think the run-defense was quite that low, but pass-defense is probably more important anyway.

I was listening to the Intentional Grounding podcast yesterday, they had a good bit at the start covering Shea McLellin and Zach Miller at the Rams post-game podium:
    http://www.podcastchart.com/podcasts/intentional-grounding-from-wgn-radio-720

Would make you root for them a bit more.

The pass stats are good whatever way you look at them (be it total yards, yards per attempt etc) - no way did I expect this D to be top half in that respect. Especially given they faced pass happy offenses like GB, the Cards, Oakland and the Lions.

I guess my point is and was given the lack of pass rush and lack of CB talent they are producing miracles.

The rushing stats aren't great at all but the main thing is they aren't giving up rushing TD's (1 in last 7 games) and the signs are that it's coming together slowly in terms of making tackles in/around the line of scrimmage.

PFF now have McPhee top of their pass rushing stats, ahead of Miller. The article I posted before also shed light on his value against the run. Just an incredible success so far. We’re talking about a guy who was seeing less snaps than Courtney Upshaw last year leading a decent defence. A real win for the scouting department.

Has anyone noticed David Bass making plays for the Titans this year? Was surprised to see it the last couple weeks… had assumed he’d be camp fodder at this stage. Also, Vic Beasley, the obvious alternative to White, has been pretty underwhelming too which is small comfort. In a dismal pass rushing class he doesn’t even rate top as a pass-rusher. In fact he’s just a percent and a half ahead of our man Eddie Goldman. Again, pff the source.

BTW to whoever asked, Bears have till Tuesday to decide on White. After that he’s shut down for the season if they don’t re-instate him.

Again, be amazed if we saw him this year.

• Advertisement

The pass stats are good whatever way you look at them (be it total yards, yards per attempt etc) - no way did I expect this D to be top half in that respect. Especially given they faced pass happy offenses like GB, the Cards, Oakland and the Lions.

I guess my point is and was given the lack of pass rush and lack of CB talent they are producing miracles.

The rushing stats aren't great at all but the main thing is they aren't giving up rushing TD's (1 in last 7 games) and the signs are that it's coming together slowly in terms of making tackles in/around the line of scrimmage.

Yeah, yards-per-pass-attempt is still incomplete because it doesn't account for strength of schedule. It also doesn't account sufficiently for improvement during the season. The pass-defense is clearly better now than it was in the first few weeks, but those early weeks are still being averaged in to the yards-per-pass-attempt total. So in real terms, we're likely above the #13 ranking at this point (wouldn't go as far as to say #4 though).

Similarly with the run-defense, having had it's best outing against Gurley last weekend. The eye-test says it's better than #27.

Yeah the old how to lie with statistics applies here. The rush defence is better by the eye test and the passing worse by eye test for me anyway.

Still giving where we came from, a new system and the schedule I'm very very pleasantly surprised.

From passing side very encouraging to see fuller slowly learning to play man and how to trail in coverage. He's still struggling trailing but looks good with the play in front of him. Amos not giving up any big plays coverage wise has been great. Porter has been a huge surprise I called him a bum and was totally wrong.

Anyway better not jinx it and the picture changes week to week - there will be dips, bad performances and learning curves - but the direction overall is very positive.

SameOleJay wrote: »

Has anyone noticed David Bass making plays for the Titans this year? Was surprised to see it the last couple weeks… had assumed he’d be camp fodder at this stage. Also, Vic Beasley, the obvious alternative to White, has been pretty underwhelming too which is small comfort. In a dismal pass rushing class he doesn’t even rate top as a pass-rusher. In fact he’s just a percent and a half ahead of our man Eddie Goldman. Again, pff the source.

Bass to me has and always be a player that flashes but lacks consistency. He makes one proper play a game and gets you excited but the rest of the time he looks bad. He'll always find a roster in the NFL, as you see from watching things like hard knocks, you see they love players who 'flash' - coaches are going to constantly think one day he can put it all together - and maybe he even will.

Beasley has almost looked like McClellin his first year - he uses speed off the edge to get around the OT and if he doesn't he's stoned - no counter moves. He also uses the spin move. They are his only two moves. Doesn't seem to know how to use his hands at all. I'm surprised how small he actually looks on the field given his measurables - height and his muscle mass. He basically looks out of position at DE in quinns defence.

Nice analysis of the Gase's offensive design against the Rams:

The Bears have something most NFL teams don't: A game plan that makes sense

I think one thing he does very well is adapt. Adapt to his own team's weak-points...offensive line, getting the ball out quick....maybe making it easier on Cutler's decision-making, giving him multiple options.

And adapting to the other team's weaknesses, exploiting the soft cover-2 type shell the Rams were playing. Maybe sounds simple, but I think is easier said than done.

I love that roll-out on the 4th-and-1, how many OC's just pound it up the middle there? (and then to balance later on, they did run it up the middle)

Something else I noticed watching the Zach Miller TD back, he is fast. I don't think every tight-end is getting away like that.

I was trying to see who got the cut-block on the Langford TD, was that Slauson, 68? (watched it again...yeah, it was). Nice part of the play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Really looking forward to the game this Sunday. The Bears are obviously on a bit of a streak, pulling themselves back into playoff contention, and we will finally get to see what many had been calling for - Osweiler replacing Manning for Denver.

There are so many facets to make the game worth watching - Fox and Gase facing their old team, not to mention this is the first time Cutler has played Denver in the regular season since he left. The Bears offence looks pretty potent, even without Forte (and White), and it will be interesting to see how they stack up against a very good D. And to top it all off, the QB that Denver drafted and groomed is going to be going up against a defense that has surprised everyone this year with their level of play. It really will be a litmus test for these two teams, depending on the result, one team might exit on a 3 game winning streak, while Denver would be looking at 3 straight losses.

Jeffrey limited the past two days, without him I can only see a loss, assuming their QB plays to an even average level. Osweiler's performance is the great unknown.

We've gone from being horrifically underrated in media eyes, with talk of a #1 pick, to now overrated after winning 2 games on the trot and hammering the Rams.

The Rams result looks like one of those abberation scorlines (note scorline not result) that the Nfl often throws up and we are being overrated on it.

Jeffrey limited the past two days, without him I can only see a loss, assuming their QB plays to an even average level. Osweiler's performance is the great unknown.

We've gone from being horrifically underrated in media eyes, with talk of a #1 pick, to now overrated after winning 2 games on the trot and hammering the Rams.

The Rams result looks like one of those abberation scorlines (note scorline not result) that the Nfl often throws up and we are being overrated on it.

Agreed, that's why the game holds so much importance, we will get a good idea of where each team stands going into the final 6 weeks. Other than Green Bay, Denver have been squeaking by in their victories so far, while the Bears have been involved in a lot of close wins and losses.

I also agree that if Osweiler can give Denver, even a mid level NFL QB performance, we should be in contention to win the game. It's a big "if" though!

Should be a great game anyway! Really looking forward to watching this followed by Minny & GB straight after.

Should also be the first real cold game of the season at home, snow forecast for Saturday but just cold on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Tough game to call which in itself a few weeks ago is saying a lot, i think we'll win by at least 7. Cutler is in the zone and Fangio god bless him has the D performing miracles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Badabing wrote: »
    Tough game to call which in itself a few weeks ago is saying a lot, i think we'll win by at least 7. Cutler is in the zone and Fangio god bless him has the D performing miracles.

Well...You were right about the rams. I think we're being overrated by the way that people judge this league on what people have done lately. This is the best D we will face all year. I definitely don't see us getting the kind of points on the board we did last week. Definitely agree about fangio though.

I dunno. I'm not optimistic. If we beat these hoors though, it would be the most excited I've been about a packers game since 2011.

Jeez, Jeffery out. Assuming he played, I thought the game was 50-50, that makes the Bears slight underdogs I think. I still give them a decent chance, because I just think it's very hard for a guy like Osweiler to come in mid-season and perform with so little experience. Also the Broncos' running game hasn't been good, so you can't expect them to protect him that way.

Another big test for the offense this week....probably a better defense again than last week. You can see there being a lot of punting on both sides.

Vikings-Packers will be very interesting later on too. Big legitimacy test for the Vikings, and a steadying-the-ship test for the Packers. The bookies have this one 50-50.

Need to franchise Jeffrey. He was basically out last week (played as a decoy) so has played 4 games and even in the first he was limited and played low snaps. Needs to prove next year he can stay on the field. No way you hand 11m a year for a guy to play 7-10 games.

A real missed opportunity. Alshon's loss just killed us I'm afraid. Credit to the Denver D which is exceptional though.

So let down on D. Kubiak totally out-coached Fangio. Run D has been awful and the predictably safe passing game from a first time starter we had no answer for.

Shame.

SameOleJay wrote: »

So let down on D. Kubiak totally out-coached Fangio. Run D has been awful and the predictably safe passing game from a first time starter we had no answer for.

Shame.

I think this is incredibly harsh - they punted 7 times! Run D wasn't great, nor was the pass D when you look at the stats but they more gave up chunks then got off the field. 5 sacks shows that too.

They conceded 17 points. If only they could stop giving up TD's on the first drives.

It's way more on the O, Osweiler threw 2 TD's while Cutler threw none - despite having all day at times thanks to brilliant oline play. Credit to their secondary also. Our oline was immense and we need to hang onto that coach even even if Gase goes.

We marched up and down the field just couldn't get the ball in for a TD. Cutler threw how many passes inside the 20?

It's not a case of blaming Cutler - just putting up 15 points won't win you many matches.

I thought we played and it was a great competitive game - a missed opportunity to win alright but it's great to see we aren't that far away from being good.

I knew they were going to run on the 2 pointer once they'd finally got in with a run before that. I'd say the Broncos knew well too.

Couldn't believe how good the protection was and they didn't even have to overload on blockers. Ware was missing but the tackles, especially, were very encouraging. Couldn't believe how well Leno did on Miller before the strip sack.

The red-zone offence has cost them 3 games now. Bennett is being smothered and without Alshon and even Marshall Jay just can't get it done with anyone else. The 4th and goal was especially ambitious all things considered.

Like I said a real shame but encouraging signs anyway.

Leno one of PFF's best 5 tackles this week. Amazing production from him.

It was a bad day for quite a few on D. Both ILBs were crap, be surprised if Jones was around next year in any capacity. D line struggled very badly. Porter stood up very well but it speaks to our depth that Porsinski is one injury away from starting in that secondary.

Clausen waived btw. Fox said there was interest in Fales so they pulled the trigger. Hard to be unhappy with that.

The ILBer is our single biggest issue (was pass rush but Willie young seems to be bringing pressure and Houston a bit too). Neither are particularly good against the run and both awful in coverage. They blow coverages regularly too.

Pff can be very odd at times they gave long a very poor score and Miller a great one but I didn't see it that way at all but will watch bits again later in week.

Same way cutler grades out better than osweiler yet the latter threw 2 tds, better completion numbers all despite more pressure. Are they penalising him for sacks or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Same way cutler grades out better than osweiler yet the latter threw 2 tds, better completion numbers all despite more pressure. Are they penalising him for sacks or something?

Cutler was actually lucky last night. Miller was repeatedly held by the Bears OLmen. Even on the play when he stripped the ball from Cutler's hand Miller had to break from a hold on his facemask by the LT.

• Advertisement

I thought the Bears were unlucky yesterday. Give Cutler a healthy Jeffrey and I think they would have won the game (not to mention Royal and Forte also missing)

I always thought it would be a close game, glad Denver won, but really hope the Bears don't falter as a result. 6 games to go and if they can get healthy, I think they can surprise a few people if they can just drag themselves into the playoffs.

Advertisement