Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential SHTF scenarios & tinfoil hat thread (Please read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I'd agree, just because I've nothing to hide doesn't mean I'd let people look through my stuff. A recent example on a different scale, while out at dinner with friends the conversation turned to shoes, of which my better half has many, many, many pairs. After pointing this out, my lovely lady commented, in a fun and joking manner that she's would stop buying shoes when I stopped collecting knives. No amount of explaining about multi - tools, knives, bushcraft knives and the odd machete could take the shocked look off our friends faces. Though on the up side, we won't be asked to babysit again.
    I am a carpenter, camper, bushcrafter and outdoors man. I have a few Mora knives. I've a hultafors that I carry at work at all times (handiest tool I own). I have three opinel knives. I have a few different types of knives collected over the years. I have five or six leathermans. I've a few other multi tools and I've a kurki and a machete. If you looked at all my "knife collection" all laid out on the floor, the word psycho could spring to mind, but as a lot of my friends could testify to,I am not psychotic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Nice story. :) Reminds me of a time I offered around caffeine tablets before an exam. People looked at me like I was a drug dealer.

Mug of coffee: Grand.
    Tablet: Mentaler.

(The tablets are a hangover from my Muay Thai days. Caffeine before exercise helps with fat utilisation. They're also a much nicer feeling than that horrible "too much coffee" stomach thing that you get)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

ISIS just overran half of Iraq now at KSA and Jordan and Iran border
    incredible Iraq army ran away or defected
    Iraq Oil output under threat

This is the most dangerous moment in MENA since 1973
    remember the oil crisis after Yom Kippar war 1973

Obama asleep at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

ISIS just overran half of Iraq now at KSA and Jordan and Iran border
    incredible Iraq army ran away or defected
    Iraq Oil output under threat

This is the most dangerous moment in MENA since 1973
    remember the oil crisis after Yom Kippar war 1973

Obama asleep at the wheel.

well he offered help and they refused is my understanding.

What might be interesting is what china would do if they invaded iran and threatened their oil supplies as well.

• Advertisement

sheesh wrote: »
    What might be interesting is what china would do if they invaded iran and threatened their oil supplies as well.

Iran have a motivated, well disciplined, well armed army. They would kick the living sh*t out of ISIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

A report launched today by the Irish Red Cross has identified ten areas in which Ireland’s laws and regulations could hinder international emergency aid entering the country during a crisis.

http://www.thejournal.ie/humanitarian-disaster-ireland-1535708-Jun2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

What the hell is a "major cyber incident". and in what scenario would it get so bad that we would need outside help assuming by some miracle the rest of the EU was not affected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

What the hell is a "major cyber incident". and in what scenario would it get so bad that we would need outside help assuming by some miracle the rest of the EU was not affected

Everything is run by computers these day if the financial electric water or gas services were attacked we would need outside help for food water heat and to repair the damage

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That giggle thing is probably a good source for 'information' on that of which you speak... However, if (or when) such an event happens, [PC]One is on one's own[/PC] - then you have to know how to wash your own kaks, and how to make porridge for a while. But you already knew that, right? :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Nearly 400 people have died in the outbreak which started in Guinea and has spread to neighbouring Sierra Leone and Liberia.

It is the largest outbreak in terms of cases, deaths and geographical spread.

The WHO said it was "gravely concerned" and there was potential for "further international spread".

The outbreak started four months ago and is continuing to spread.

So far there have been more than 600 cases and around 60% of those infected with the virus have died.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28033027

Hopefully they can control it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

If Ebola did get out of control what can we do? How long do we need to stay hiding?

I'm no medical expert,but first off i'd keep away from infected persons body fluid and infected corpses.

Have a supply of N95 face masks,disposable gloves,disenfectant,disposable surgical type gowns,eye protection,heavy duty rubbish bags and ties and plenty of bleach.

Ebola is fragile outside the the body,but can survive in liquids for some days outside and can be killed with soap and water,disenfectant,bleach.

Incubation period 2 to 21 days and even if no signs symptoms a person can still pass the disease in this period.

Person is still contagious 3 weeks after symptoms show.

Alot of people who catch it ,catch from a sick family member or are health care workers looking after ebola victim.

We're lucky it not airborne.

One would hope in the western world with good infection control in hospitals the disease would not spread rapidly.

How long does a person remain hidden?,Keep listening to the local radio stations for updates.
    Have plenty of non perishable food and water etc stocked up.

Or leave the area if not locked down under Quarantine.

i'm no expert but thats my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

Biological Hazard in Croatia

In the last three months in the Department of Infectious Diseases Dr. Fran Mihaljevic recorded increased number of cases of hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome, known as murine fever, and have so far treated 43 patients, mostly in the area of Zagreb and its surroundings. All hospitalized had moderately severe form of the disease with typical symptoms - high fever, back pain and stomach and headache. Most of the discharged without complications, said Hina Restoration director of the Clinic for Infectious Diseases Adriana Vince. The largest number of hospitalized, 17 of them-time, was recorded in June, and could continue to grow. Carriers of the virus as mice and voles, to human infection usually comes when you stay in the countryside, in direct or indirect contact with secretions of infected rodents, especially the inhalation of dust or aerosols containing pathogens. The disease is not spread from person to person.
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/index.php?pageid=event_summary&edis_id=BH-20140710-44504-HRV

Biological Hazards in Hungary

An infection of deadly anthrax has been identified in beef in eastern Hungary and five people are being monitored in hospital for suspected symptoms of the disease, the health authority ANTSZ said on Friday. It said the disease was identified in frozen beef after two cattle were illegally slaughtered in a farm in Tiszafured, a town about 160 km east of Budapest. The ANTSZ said the five people hospitalized had probably contracted the disease during illegal slaughtering. Some of the beef had been transported to a company that operates canteens, and the operation of the firm had been suspended.
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/index.php?pageid=event_summary&edis_code=BH-20140704-44408-HUN

Anthrax infection has been observed in Gyongyos, Heves County, Hungary. A man infected with skin anthrax after hand contact with infected beef meat. The man cured effectively with antibiotics.
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/index.php?pageid=event_summary&edis_code=BH-20140708-44451-HUN

Safety breach at at U.S government lab involving Avian flu.

It's only a matter of time before something contagious gets out of some research lab some where in the world.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/us-anthrax-probe-reveals-new-bird-flu-mishap-amid-widespread-safety-lapses-30425743.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

wolfeye wrote: »
    Safety breach at at U.S government lab involving Avian flu.

It's only a matter of time before something contagious gets out of some research lab some where in the world.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/us-anthrax-probe-reveals-new-bird-flu-mishap-amid-widespread-safety-lapses-30425743.html

Indeed

But there is worse. After nearly two decades of debating the WHO's call to destroy the last two samples of smallpox, humanity's worst scourge, held in the USA and Russia. The recent discovery of lost, intact vials of smallpox in a FDA lab raises some very scarey questions about what else may be hiding in labs across the world.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/s0708-nih.html

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Big difference between a marmot and a squirrel... and doesn't the article say he found a dead marmot and cut it up to feed to his dog?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Big difference between a marmot and a squirrel... and doesn't the article say he found a dead marmot and cut it up to feed to his dog?
    yellow_bellied_marmot_2.jpg

Ah, they're the same, nearly.
    Cases occasionally emerge in China. A villager who found a dead marmot and ate it with other residents of Litang in Sichuan province, in the southwest, died of the disease in September 2012, a newspaper run by the health ministry reported.
    said squirrel for the laugh anyway

• Advertisement

Saw a good few marmots in the Alps. They are relatively huge compared to a squirrel!

I think the lesson here is don't eat or butcher any dead rodent you find... :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Site Banned Posts: 6 An N Nuther 55

... ... the kitten was fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Esel wrote: »
    Saw a good few marmots in the Alps. They are relatively huge compared to a squirrel!

I think the lesson here is don't eat or butcher any dead rodent you find... :eek:

Unless you're the one who knocked it down ;)

The head doctor fighting an outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in Sierra Leone has himself caught the disease, one of a growing list of medical workers infected while battling to halt its spread across West Africa.

It seems like even if using full protective clothing a person is still at risk.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/23/health-ebola-africa-idUSL6N0PY3IC20140723

http://news.msn.com/world/sierra-leones-chief-ebola-doctor-contracts-the-virus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

wolfeye wrote: »
    The head doctor fighting an outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in Sierra Leone has himself caught the disease, one of a growing list of medical workers infected while battling to halt its spread across West Africa.

It seems like even if using full protective clothing a person is still at risk.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/23/health-ebola-africa-idUSL6N0PY3IC20140723

http://news.msn.com/world/sierra-leones-chief-ebola-doctor-contracts-the-virus

do they have any control of the situation :confused:

PucaMama wrote: »
    Nope, cases are popping up 100 miles apart (it can have a 21 day incubation period) and it's spreading to urban areas.

The strain they're battiling is the most aggressive one, kills 90%, other strains are in the 50s.

It's thought the Fruit Bat is the virus's host when it's dormant, but a Bat is considered a delicacy down there so it's bound to pop up from time to time. Porcupines, monkeys and antelopes are on the menu aswell.

It's only spread by contact with contaiminated Body Fluids, not airborne, soapy water kills it, so if they had proper facilities it could be contained handy enough but when you're having to clean your gear for reuse like this

_75930518_msb8378_medium.jpg

after treating patients with Blood coming out of every hole and Diarrhea.

Nurses have gone on strike to get the Gov to set up a dedicated Ebola centre away from the main hospital in sierra leone. 3 Nurses Dead. Over 20 more in quarantine after lad with ebola rocked in.

Villages are digging trenches to keep health workers out, rather go it alone.

Funerals - Infection Hotspot.

Even if you survive the infection, you can be infectious for weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Not a big deal for us here, but they are saying it is related to extremists in Syria with a connection to Norway. So that's not an impossible reality for Ireland.

http://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/4540-pst-chief-terror-action-planned-against-norway-in-a-few-days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

PucaMama wrote: »

In Angola at the moment working for a French outfit, we had a special Ebola presentation from the company HSE people last week. So it seems some are beginning to give it consideration.

Friend was studying microbiology/virology years ago, researching dengue fever, tame in comparison. Remember reading a book he gave me about Ebola, "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston, a good read, interesting and terrifying.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

plague in China
    City quarantined and containment procedures activated
    Once known as the Black Death for the dark patches caused by bleeding under the skin, the plague swept Europe 700 years ago, killing a third of the population — an estimated 25 million. It wiped out millions in China and Hong Kong in the late 1800s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jul/27/us-doctor-liberia-tests-positive-ebola

Seems like this disease may have boarded a plane. If so it will spread uncontrollably.

Advertisement