Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dock road mural

Options
  • 23-07-2014 9:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the painting of a guy is on the building on the dock road?Looks awful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »
    Anyone know what the painting of a guy is on the building on the dock road?Looks awful

It's part of Our Nation's Sons by Joe Caslin. You're the first person I've heard saying they don't like it.

There's another on the corner of O'Connell Street and Mallow Street.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It an urban art thing. Part of the city of culture. There's 4 or 5 of them on other buildings around town as well. I agree it looks awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Something more colorful or cheery would have been better I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Any pictures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I think its fantastic. Very striking and I'm usually a critic of a lot of arty farty stuff. Some of the street art around Limerick is very impressive IMO.

• Advertisement

Some of the street art around is nice like what they they the laneways

It's part of Our Nation's Sons by Joe Caslin. You're the first person I've heard saying they don't like it.

There's another on the corner of O'Connell Street and Mallow Street.

Well I'm a second person. It reminds me of the hoodied shams with their walking sticks and their track pants tucked into their socks that you see around town. It's not the image of the city that I think we should be promoting.

Exactly my thoughts looks like a scobe

Great art and skilll I agree but so big and on a main road.what would tourists in the Clarion and Dolans think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

vkid wrote: »
    I think its fantastic. Very striking and I'm usually a critic of a lot of arty farty stuff. Some of the street art around Limerick is very impressive IMO.

The only bad thing I can say about a lot of the street art in the city and the outskirts is that there is not more of it.

Some of it is fantastically well done, and even the ones I am not so keen on I would not want gone because the alternative is going to be a drab grey wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I am loving all the art popping up around the city. Especially the garden on Thomas st.

Great art and skilll I agree but so big and on a main road.what would tourists in the Clarion and Dolans think

Would imagine it would be a conversation piece if nothing else. If it gets people talking about it and heading down to see what the talk is about, then it is worthwhile imho.

I am loving all the art popping up around the city. Especially the garden on Thomas st.

That is particularly good. I love the wall art up by King John's castle as well. I know it is not new, but is such a lively work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

Well I'm a second person. It reminds me of the hoodied shams with their walking sticks and their track pants tucked into their socks that you see around town. It's not the image of the city that I think we should be promoting.
    That's the whole idea http://joecaslin.com/category/portfolio/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Kess73 wrote: »
    That is particularly good. I love the wall art up by King John's castle as well. I know it is not new, but is such a lively work.

The Hello Kitty Ice cream guy?

With Limericks image problem think the mural should have been more positive no doubt money was payed for it

The Hello Kitty Ice cream guy?

I like to call him the Eye Scream Man.

Am a big fan of Henry Rollins in all his guises, and the book Eye scream came to mind when I first wandered past the mural by the castle.

With Limericks image problem think the mural should have been more positive no doubt money was payed for it

It is what people want it to be in terms of being negative or positive. The fact it is getting reactions and starting conversation suggests that it is thought provoking at the very least.

If it was my work, then I would be delighted to hear stuff like you have being staying just as much as I would be by hearing folks saying they love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

The piece is excellent, a hooded top is just a piece of clothing, I have never witnessed "shams "with canes and white socks walking in Limerick city, I know there was a picture doing the rounds on the internet all right at one stage.

Do not judge a person by the clothes they wear, lots of people wear hooded tops every day and are not shams, its what young people wear and this picture represents the youth of Ireland and depicts it perfectly.

Limericks image is driven by the outside media and not the Limerick media, every day of the week there is murders all over the country and Limerick is very quiet, you should take a walk around any of the Luas stops in Dublin and you will see scumbags.

• Advertisement

Its good art no doubt but alot if people are thinking why a sham why not a hurler rugby player historic figure

Its good art no doubt but alot if people are thinking why a sham why not a hurler rugby player historic figure

I think your missing the point , its not a sham, your impression of a sham is anyone in a hoodie.......the character in the painting is a young man, if the same painting was in England or America do you think the public would look at it and go ...a scumbag, no.

Anyway we have lots of hurling statues and random people around the place who 90% of the youth cannot relate too or even know who they are.

Why not a young guy with his hood pulled up? It is up to those who look at it to decide what the piece makes them think of. You seeing it as a sham is no less valid a reaction than someone else seeing a random kid in a hoodie.

If it was a rugby player then I am sure plenty of folk would like it and plenty would be rolling their eyes and saying "not bloody rugby again, there is more to Limerick than rugby"

A historic figure would be good, but would love it to be someone a bit obscure like Jack Monday (he who has the coffee shop named after him) or something to do withthe Limerick Soviet.

Would also love to see Richard Harris pop up in a few places. His two best roles, Bull McCabe (The Field) and Frank Machin (This Sporting Life),
    would be ideal to be put on walls in Limerick city.

A limerick artist called Peter Byrne painted a Richard Harris piece at the make a move festival a few weeks back, here is the link, hopefully it will work, it in beside the cahill may roberts old building

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204279969659661&set=a.1629552058950.2091935.1241068634&type=1&theater

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm a big fan of it. Might stroll through town tomorrow afternoon to see some of the other pieces. There's some great stuff on the corner of Thomas Street by the carpark as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2014/07/07/the-boy-in-the-hoodie/

Good article on it.
    Thomas street is class and the one on William street. I love the 2 near king johns as well.

A limerick artist called Peter Byrne painted a Richard Harris piece at the make a move festival a few weeks back, here is the link, hopefully it will work, it in beside the cahill may roberts old building

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204279969659661&set=a.1629552058950.2091935.1241068634&type=1&theater

Never knew that was done. Will have to make an effort to go and have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

I did the curator for the People of Limerick twitter account a few weeks back, I took and tweeted photos of most of the street art and got nothing but complementary tweets in return.

I think the whole idea is great for the city and I think the one on Ranks is brilliant, certainly the first negative comment I heard or seen of it was the OP here.

I haven't seen the one on Mallow street yet but the photos of it look impressive.

My favourite is the eye scream man near King John's Castle

Edit to add the one on William St is brilliant too, eye catching.

It must have taken ages to paint but deffo think its not a good theme of image.is it a local artist?

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    I did the curator for the People of Limerick twitter account a few weeks back, I took and tweeted photos of most of the street art and got nothing but complementary tweets in return.

I think the whole idea is great for the city and I think the one on Ranks is brilliant, certainly the first negative comment I heard or seen of it was the OP here.

I haven't seen the one on Mallow street yet but the photos of it look impressive.

My favourite is the eye scream man near King John's Castle

Edit to add the one on William St is brilliant too, eye catching.

Hey I charge for the use of that name. I want a cheeseburger left on the west end of Shannon bridge at 19:00 each day for a week :D

Advertisement