Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭westskipper

Some thoughts about buying cheap unbranded fuel :

The petrol and diesel that you buy at the pump are not just 'raw' hydrocarbons fuels - they are shipped as that from the oil refineries to local storage terminals like those at Galway docks - where each branded supplier then adds a cocktail of additives, which contain (among others) detergents, anti-corrosives, combustion improvers, lubricity improvers, anti-knock compounds and more.

Each brand (ie Topaz, Shell, Esso, Maxol, Top, etc) has its own cocktail which is a closely guarded secret and which they use in their marketing blurb to claim that their brand of petrol / diesel gives you extra miles per gallon by cleaning your engine, reducing emissions, extending engine life etc. This is probably true to an extent (as the 'drivers right foot' is the main factor in all cars' gas mileage and emissions characteristics ).

However this cocktail of additives is expensive and adds to the overall cost of the fuel - a handy way of reducing the pump cost would be to not add it - partially or completely - to the fuel when the raw base fuel is being formulated and loaded onto the tanker truck at the terminal in Galway docks. This is not illegal as the fuel still meets the legal requirements and standards.

Such fuel is still of genuine source - ie it is not 'washed diesel' or 'stretched petrol', and is of correct octane or cetane rating, but it would be missing some of the key extra components that 'better' fuel will have, the components that help keep the engine running smoothly and cleanly.

Modern cars have their engines controlled by computers via an array of sensors to ensure low emissions and clean burning, if the engine is supplied with a fuel which is missing some of the beneficial components which (for example) inhibit pre-ignition (pinking) or carbon buildup on valves, DPF, etc then it will respond by adjusting the fuel/air mixture, ignition timing or injector timing to try to compensate and keep emissions as low as possible.

This may result in lower engine performance, reduced power, general sluggishness and ironically increased fuel consumption (as you the driver will tend to compensate for all of the above by revving the engine harder through lower gears so that the car 'keeps up').

Hence 'cheap' fuel, though not illegally sourced, may be a false economy.

Long term, it may also result in damage to the engine and exhaust / catalyst system through excessive carbon build-up, lack of upper cylinder lubrication and increased combustion temperatures.

This debate has been raging for years in the UK over 'cheap' supermarket petrol versus more expensive 'branded' petrol....google it and read the articles/forum for yourself

http://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/supermarket-vs-branded-fuels/#.VQFiU3ysV8E

The newer and more complex your car is, the more likely it is to suffer from 'cheap' fuel. Older cars and more simple engines (eg your lawnmower or tractor) will probably be less bothered by the fuel quality.

Does this practice happen in Galway ? I don't know, nor am I suggesting or implying it does at any particular outlet.

All I'm saying is that its worth being aware that all petrol/diesel is not precisely the same and that the cheapest petrol may not always be the best petrol for your car.

Caveat Emptor

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

All I'm saying is that its worth being aware that all petrol/diesel is not precisely the same and that the cheapest petrol may not always be the best petrol for your car.

Caveat Emptor

So take a punt on a more expensive fuel because maybe that has the right magic formula added to it maybe, but equally it might not but maybe it does...gotchya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Well I think cheaper brands such as Applegreen are grand. It's the unbranded stuff I'd be worried about and I never go near it (2 stations on the Headford Road come to mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

So take a punt on a more expensive fuel because maybe that has the right magic formula added to it maybe, but equally it might not but maybe it does...gotchya.

I've found that the Tesco fuel (fortunately none in Galway city) isn't great, so I avoid it unless in danger of going dry. I haven't noticed any difference in the major brands though, the biggest effect on the mpg figure is where/when I'm driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭westskipper

Exactly :-)

But if you buy cheap unbranded stuff and your car runs poorly and you get poor mpg, then it wasn't really cheap either...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Exactly :-)

But if you buy cheap unbranded stuff and your car runs poorly and you get poor mpg, then it wasn't really cheap either...

If you're doing this and noticing it, but continue doing it in spite of that fact then you've bigger problems in life than fuel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

antoobrien wrote: »
    I've found that the Tesco fuel (fortunately none in Galway city) isn't great, so I avoid it unless in danger of going dry...
    Was it everyday value, general or finest?

Petrol Esso Tuam Road 122.9c
    Daysul Dyke Rd junction 106.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

<See point 8 in charter, name removed> make my engine jumpy. Not a good sign for the poor old injectors! Avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please use the Motors forum if you believe you have an issue with bad diesel.
    Without a mechanic's report to prove it's the fuel I'd rather you didn't name the business in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Petrol has barely come down in price compared to how much the price of a barrel has dropped. They're quick enough to put the price up da greedy buggers

• Registered Users Posts: 45,278 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Petrol has barely come down in price compared to how much the price of a barrel has dropped. They're quick enough to put the price up da greedy buggers

Dollar v the euro is a big factor here.

Not to mention ~60% of a the price paid for a litre is tax

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Dollar v the euro is a big factor here.

Not to mention ~60% of a the price paid for a litre is tax

It's a ridiculous amount to pay tax on

Applegreen
    petrol currently 120.8
    diesel 106.8
    They said they'll drop both another 3c this weekend