Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

why don't we revolt ?

Options
  • 28-05-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

I read in the paper that the UK government is not going to put up tax on high polluting cars as they fear a backlash from the public.

So why do the Irish government continue to rape the Irish motorist with total impunity ?

Is there no one to fight the motorists cause here ?

Would the British - French or Germans put up with almost 100% tax on some motors like we have on some high end cars here ?

Would they put up with almost €1k road tax to sit in traffic to pay a toll lke we do on the M50 ?

I doubt it !

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Because we elected the greens!

No more fun for anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Chief--- wrote: »
    Because we elected the greens!

No more fun for anybody.

fianna fail + greens is like the worst combination ever. I just wish Tesla roadsters didn't cost 100,000 eur, if there were affordable and fast electric cars around the place that weren't **** ugly we might stand a chance at seeing the return of the days when people would drive around the place for the craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Everyone in Ireland is a motorist (unless they are broke), since public transport is a joke.

Most people don't see why their necessary family transport should be taxed the same way as a Porsche. I'd like a Porsche, but I agree.

E92: yada yada BMW blah blah, OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

All talk and no action or some people think someone else will say it for them. We must look like a walk over to other countries :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

hellboy99 wrote: »
    All talk and no action or some people think someone else will say it for them. We must look like a walk over to other countries :mad:

yup. and realise that moaning to Joe Duffy gets us nowhere. the French wouldn't take any of this ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Taxes are absolutely insane in Ireland, 1K for 2.5L?

But people will not revolt because it's not burning under their butts bad enough.

Everyone is so pre-occupied with themselves and their own problems that, they will tolerate it and even it's increases.

People don't do a thing until it becomes really really bad, then it's usually too late.

It's great that in UK/Germany and even the US, people are alteast complaining, here people just accept it quietly and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The problem is that we motorists don't have a loud voice and a big stick, so we are wide open to exploitation by every thicko minister who has nothing better to do. We badly need a motorists trade union that could doa SIPTU and bring the country to a stop until we are listened to, but then none of us would do what our union reps told us, would we? The alternative might be to take up arms, occupy the local post office, and throw Gorgeous Gormley and his bike into the Irish Sea:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

To be honest, I think most people are in favour of high taxation on motoring. I know I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Maybe there is a belief from a tax perspective that a car is luxury and not a neccisaty (sp?). And tbh, spending 30k plus is a luxury imo. Maybe even over 20k. You can buy a car for less than €5,000 easily. But people can spend their money how they like so that's fine

After all, it often happened that many families didn't have a car.
    Whatever happened to hitchhiking, I don't see it anymore

And now I'm reading daily rants about "my neighbour owns 4 cars and parks outside my house".
    Many families now have two cars at least.

Zube thinks everyone in Ireland is a motorist. Maybe tax was based on high tax for few cars but after car ownership exploded, it's high tax on all cars.
    It's impossible for the Revenue to give that money up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

+1 @ Anan1, tax the congestion problem away.

Make it uneconomical for the garden variety motorist to use their car, so the filthy rich like me can enjoy a free-flowing road network again :D

You can't have some of the lowest income and corporate taxation in Europe and some of the lowest personal transport taxation as well, the tax €s have to come from somewhere.

Look at Luxembourg, which is the 'previous' Tiger (i.e. what happened in IE with the Celtic Tiger thing, had happened in Lux years before): same mix of issues as Ireland, they went for the other way around: higher income and corporate taxation, much lower personal transport taxation. Just as many Beemers, Mercs and Porsches, just as bad to get in/out of Lux City at rush hour :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Taxes are absolutely insane in Ireland, 1K for 2.5L?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1280 for a 1.9 Litre Diesel here in the Netherlands :D
    Above that your looking at BIG money.

Import tax here is mental aswell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

ART6 wrote: »
    The problem is that we motorists don't have a loud voice and a big stick, so we are wide open to exploitation by every thicko minister who has nothing better to do. We badly need a motorists trade union that could doa SIPTU and bring the country to a stop until we are listened to, but then none of us would do what our union reps told us, would we? The alternative might be to take up arms, occupy the local post office, and throw Gorgeous Gormley and his bike into the Irish Sea:D

It wouldn't be that difficult to set up a protest. Someone needs to book a hotel room and call a meeting. Get a comittee together at the meeting and decide a day to do a car protest. You would need to do too much work promoting it as the media would be all over you. Look at the guys from IrelandOffline for an example of how to get something done if you really want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Why don't "we" revolt?

Because there is no "we" as far as the motoring public is concerned.
    Just because "we" all drive cars doesn't make "us" of the same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

meh, its to easy just to whinge on the interweb than actually do anything about it and believe me nobody will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Ok, so, OP , what kind of protest are you thinking about?

driving to the centre of every city in Ireland and parking your car on the road?

or if your in Dublin park your car for the day outside the gates of Dáil Éireann?

or don't pay motor tax?

everyone buy UK cars and don't register them.

everyone drive around with green diesel /vegable oil in their diesel cars?

all the above suggestions will cost you money or jail time

any other legal suggestions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 caractacus

This text message is going around

" French, Portuguese, and Italian Fishermen blockade ports to bring down VAT on fuel. Brit truckers start go-slow campaign to bring down VAT on fuel. Governments cant do it cos the EU wont let them. French President Sarkozy has called on EU to allow VAT to be cut on fuel. Send Brussels a message on JUNE 12th VOTE NO TO LISBON..VOTE FOR A EU WIDE CUT IN FUEL VAT!- PASS THIS MESSAGE ON TO THREE OTHERS '

PASS IT ON ....IF WE ALL SEND IT TO THREE OTHERS WE CAN MAKE BRUSSELS SIT UP AND TAKE NOTICE OF US FOR ONCE:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

People don't really care at the end of the day.

In Britain they are much more into cars than we are, and that's why you have politicians wanting to get rid of congestion charges, raising speed limits on Motorways, even getting rid of speed cameras.

That you can be guaranteed will NEVER happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    Ok, so, OP , what kind of protest are you thinking about?

driving to the centre of every city in Ireland and parking your car on the road?

or if your in Dublin park your car for the day outside the gates of Dáil Éireann?

or don't pay motor tax?

everyone buy UK cars and don't register them.

everyone drive around with green diesel /vegable oil in their diesel cars?

all the above suggestions will cost you money or jail time

any other legal suggestions?
    A organised big group of cars driving through the centre of the city at 30kmh is not illegal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 caractacus

Seems to me E92 that you just want us to do nothing....well if we do nothing then nothing will change....I repeat all car enthusiasts should deliver a message to the EU by VOTING NO TO LISBON....SEND THE TXT MSG ' VOTE NO TO LISBON TO FORCE EU TO ALLOW A CUT IN FUEL DUTY' .....PASS IT ON LADS... E92 your way definitely nothing will happen...this form of protest here in Ireland ... with the Fishermens blockade in France , Portugal, and Italy, over HIGH FUEL DUTIES and the British truckers go slows...will be sending them EU bureaucrats a message they cant ignore

I'm just a realist.

The Government JUST DON'T CARE, but hey, we were the people that put them in 3 times in a row, so you reap what you sow....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

caractacus you are pimping. Not nice.

I was going to start a thread on this, as was mentioned it hasn't happened. Here someone who apparently has contacts in the civil service mentioned scrapping the Classic car tax/VRT regime had been bought up but again the government is apparently warey, probably not wanting to be seen to attack low milage enthusiasts.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

In the democratic system the government are meant to represent the people!!
    this clearly does not happen here as demonstrated by
    1) the toll on the m50,
    2) VRT on importing cars and
    3) our third world health system.
    When France were unhappy with their polotical system they made it known.
    (but then again our track record with following frances Revolutionary example isnt that great:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I read in the paper that the UK government is not going to put up tax on high polluting cars as they fear a backlash from the public.

So why do the Irish government continue to rape the Irish motorist with total impunity ?

Is there no one to fight the motorists cause here ?

Would the British - French or Germans put up with almost 100% tax on some motors like we have on some high end cars here ?

Would they put up with almost €1k road tax to sit in traffic to pay a toll lke we do on the M50 ?

I doubt it !

The reason is that the UK government are back-dating the tax, so people already with high emission cars are going to get stung. That's not happening here, so you can't compare there to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Slig wrote: »
    In the democratic system the government are meant to represent the people!!
    this clearly does not happen here as demonstrated by
    1) the toll on the m50,
    2) VRT on importing ALL cars and
    3) our third world health system.
    When France were unhappy with their polotical system they made it known.
    (but then again our track record with following frances Revolutionary example isnt that great:D)

Fixed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Never heard of then till I found a flyer in my door the other day from them. Having read through it, they seem to be on the same wavelenght as most people who aren't super rich or sponging off the state, and couldn't care about the cost of anything and everything.

While it will be a few years before we get another chance to vote, maybe the threat of loosing to a new party might be enopugh to get FF and the Greens to consider what the ordinary decent person on the street is actually concerned about.

Personally I think their policies on transport and motoring (among other things) seem fair. I certainly hope they can get enough support to pose a real challenge to the existing greedy gits that are in power, and that they stay true to these policies.

http://www.prioritiesparty.com/

They are opportunists. They'll never achieve any of this. Another false dawn like the PDs.

The only way to remove FF is to vote FG. Anyone else may or may not go into bad with FF, whereas FG would rather have pins in their eyes than have anything to do with FF(or the Shinners).

FG have what no other party in this country has: backbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

craichoe wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1280 for a 1.9 Litre Diesel here in the Netherlands :D
    Above that your looking at BIG money.

Import tax here is mental aswell :(

mentaller than here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

anyone have a comparison of motor tax rates across the EU?

couldn't find anything with google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

E92 wrote: »
    They are opportunists. They'll never achieve any of this. Another false dawn like the PDs.

The only way to remove FF is to vote FG. Anyone else may or may not go into bad with FF, whereas FG would rather have pins in their eyes than have anything to do with FF(or the Shinners).

FG have what no other party in this country has: backbone.

2 words: Enda Kenny

There is no way I would ever have anything to do with putting that muppet in charge of the nation.

• Advertisement

And Brian Cowen is such a wonderful Taoiseach that he ran away from health because it was "Angola"....

All he has done so far is antagonise FG, but let him keep doing that all he wants, people don't like bullies...

Enda Kenny's contribution to FG is nothing short of outstanding. Yes he does come across as very wooden at times, but the only people I hear going Enda bashing are the people that would never vote FG in the first place.

If he achieved a fifth for the country of what he achieved with FG then this country would be a much better place.

But if people are happy with incompetancy, optics, soundbites etc then that's their choice.

Advertisement