Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallaght not as bad as you think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I know. I was a stupid kid, place wasnt much better during the day though. Fair enough there were some ok people in tallaght but there were enough psychos to make sure i never felt safe there.

Tymon north and Tymonville were nuts during the ninties.I had a lot of friends from that area as I went to tallaght community school which was nuts during the ninties but It's a different school now and has a good reputation these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

hobochris wrote: »
    Don't feed the animals and you'll be fine :D

Can't help it in a state which has social welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

stovelid wrote: »
    Just about in Tallaght there (nearly in Greenhiills) if you mean the Cuckoos Nest.

Greenhills is where im from but yeah its just about. most of the trouble ive had has been around there, mainly due to tymon north. Used to dread getting the 77a bus back from the square

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I doubt someone from outside the area decided to spray paint it on a wall for no reason. :)

Derp :rolleyes:
    Yawns wrote: »
    Tallaght is a kip. I lived there until I was 19 then I moved. It was always a kip and it is still a kip to this day. Out of all the people on my old estate that I knew growing up as kids, today about 80% of them are on drugs, robbing people/houses/cars, locked up in jail or dead. The remainder in the 20%, most of them moved away from Tallaght. Yes it's a kip.

It has a bad name because it's a bad area.

Looks like you grew up in a bit of a **** estate there. I know a couple of people on serious drugs and they don't seem to bother anyone. I'm from a fairly big area of Tallaght too and have plenty of friends from all over and none of them sees anything like this.

Your estate was a kip, buddy.

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Derp :rolleyes:

Looks like you grew up in a bit of a **** estate there. I know a couple of people on serious drugs and they don't seem to bother anyone. I'm from a fairly big area of Tallaght too and have plenty of friends from all over and none of them sees anything like this.

Your estate was a kip, buddy.

This is totally correct as well depending where you are.You can live in most areas and never see any of this kind of rubbish ,most of tallaght is fine these days.The same 4 or 5 estates are still dragging it down.Think about it ,the last time someone was murdered in tallaght was in killinarden two years ago I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

most of the trouble ive had has been around there, mainly due to tymon north.

Pass through there sometimes and it seems a little quieter these days but maybe I'm not around enough to see.

stovelid wrote: »
    Pass through there sometimes and it seems a little quieter these days but maybe I'm not around enough to see.

It's quiet these days I think ,everyone has grown up and moved on.Definitely quieter than the mid 90's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

This is totally correct as well depending where you are.You can live in most areas and never see any of this kind of rubbish ,most of tallaght is fine these days.The same 4 or 5 estates are still dragging it down.Think about it ,the last time someone was murdered in tallaght was in killinarden two years ago I think.

That's probably true.

Now they just get abducted in tallaght and driven away to get shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

It's quiet these days I think ,everyone has grown up and moved on.Definitely quieter than the mid 90's

I'm around there a lot and it's alright now. Again, most people are very decent with just a few being scummers. There's a load of kids around 12/13 that seem to be on their way to mountjoy though.
    gatecrash wrote: »
    That's probably true.

Now they just get abducted in tallaght and driven away to get shot

No harm done there then :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Killinarden is a f*cking scumhole. I grew up right beside there. My God. It is probably one of the very worst areas though.

It's not that bad at all these days - nor is much Jobstown for that matter. Venture a bit further into Kiltalown though and well... one does not simply walk into Mordor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Never forget when I stayed one night in my mates in Glenshane. I got up the next morning to go to work and there was a black woman in a field across the road taking a dump. At 20 to 8 in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Ush1 wrote: »
    Never forget when I stayed one night in my mates in Glenshane. I got up the next morning to go to work and there was a black woman in a field across the road taking a dump. At 20 to 8 in the morning!

Bitches be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Killinarden seems to be getting a fair grilling here but it’s actually not half as bad as some of you are making out, I grew up and still currently live there and I've never been assaulted, robbed or come into any of the situations being spun by some people here.

My folks are living there since the estate was built and the one time anything ever happened to the house was from new neighbours that moved in from Blanch, the kids basically smashed the side window, thats it from 35+ years living there.

My OH is from Clondalkin and actually really likes Killinarden (awaits for scanger accusations :) ) and hates Clondalkin, just based on the people who live there. Of course every area has there bad apples, some more so than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

vangoz wrote: »
    Killinarden seems to be getting a fair grilling here but it’s actually not half as bad as some of you are making out, I grew up and still currently live there and I've never been assaulted, robbed or come into any of the situations being spun by some people here.

My folks are living there since the estate was built and the one time anything ever happened to the house was from new neighbours that moved in from Blanch, the kids basically smashed the side window, thats it from 35+ years living there.

My OH is from Clondalkin and actually really likes Killinarden (awaits for scanger accusations :) ) and hates Clondalkin, just based on the people who live there. Of course every area has there bad apples, some more so though others.

I've hung around with people from Cushlawn for years and never had any bother to be honest. Often be there on me tobler at night aswell.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does anyone remember the song "Oh Killinarden, Killinarden, it's got a nice community, like a family, it's the best place to be" ?

I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it but can't remember where or when I heard it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So in summation, we can deride that most of the posters on here are wimps?

Does anyone remember the song "Oh Killinarden, Killinarden, it's got a nice community, like a family, it's the best place to be" ?

I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it but can't remember where or when I heard it.

Haha no? Sounds like a really ghey boring dream :p

vangoz wrote: »

My OH is from Clondalkin and actually really likes Killinarden (awaits for scanger accusations :) ) and hates Clondalkin, just based on the people who live there. Of course every area has there bad apples, some more so though others.

I was never assaulted or robbed when I lived there either ,my mates never were either and they currently still live there.My brother in law lives in Donamore park and he gets no trouble from anyone BUT it still has/had a lot of nutters in it and I have seen a fair amount of it over the years.Same way the killinarden inn gets a bad rep.I used to drink in there and never had a problem and it's owners know how to deal with trouble when it does arise which is rare

I was never assaulted or robbed when I lived there either ,my mates never were either and they currently still live there.My brother in law lives in Donamore park and he gets no trouble from anyone BUT it still has/had a lot of nutters in it and I have seen a fair amount of it over the years.Same way the killinarden inn gets a bad rep.I used to drink in there and never had a problem and it's owners know how to deal with trouble when it does arise which is rare

Yeah I'd say donamore and the heights are probably the main spots that are still bad. The Tayto men do know how to look after the place alright (if you dont know what I'm referring to... it doesnt matter :()

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

01 Aslan

Aslan are from Finglas!

I haven't been much in Tallaght and the only part i've been in is in Kingswood, looks nice out that way.

gurramok wrote: »
    Aslan are from Finglas!

I haven't been much in Tallaght and the only part i've been in is in Kingswood, looks nice out that way.

but beloved of skangers everywhere.

Aslan used to play in the traders in greenhills and loads of people from crumlin would come up. It used to be like a scene from gangs of new york afterward. Greenhills on one side, Crumlin on the other. After a few minutes mayhem the ground was strewn with torn NAFF jackets and bloodied sovreign rings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Tallaght's not the worst, still a ****hole though.

but beloved of skangers everywhere.

Aslan used to play in the traders in greenhills and loads of people from crumlin would come up. It used to be like a scene from gangs of new york afterward. Greenhills on one side, Crumlin on the other. After a few minutes mayhem the ground was strewn with torn NAFF jackets and bloodied sovreign rings

They used to play in Molloy's (fables) a fair bit.I think I saw them there about 5 times.Never any trouble though ,maybe because there were a fair few mad out of it on yokes.In fact I don't ever remember trouble outside fables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't get how people can say "Such and such an area is a ****ing scum-hole" etc - well I do, some people are just idiots. But I'm seeing it here from people whom I didn't think would say stuff like that. It's not particularly fair on the good people from there (the majority).

Otherwise though, I've always been quite intrigued by how French the word "Tallaght" sounds... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't get how people can say "Such and such an area is a ****ing scum-hole" etc - well I do, some people are just idiots. But I'm seeing it here from people whom I didn't think would say stuff like that. It's not particularly fair on the good people from there (the majority).

Otherwise though, I've always been quite intrigued by how French the word "Tallaght" sounds... :pac:
    I read somewhere once that it's the oldest place name in Ireland and means "plague mortuary".

• Advertisement

I read somewhere once that it's the oldest place name in Ireland and means "plague mortuary".

Ya it's true it's a plague mortuary ,not sure if that's what tallaght means though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Ya it's true it's a plague mortuary ,not sure if that's what tallaght means though
    i am so angry at u streotype :(

it is yes. Taim leach -> tamhlacht -> tallaght

its related more to the mythical Parthalon from leabhar gabhala eireann that the black death, after which black pitts is named

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Sounds like the OP is Minister for Tallaght, Charlie O'Connor!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭amacca

Hilarious thread title.

Board Failte should adapt it for their ads.

• Advertisement

'Plague monument' or 'monument to pestilence' or something, I think.

Supposedly the site of bubonic plague graves. Just told that: not sure of veracity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Isn't this the place where that dog had its lower jaw blown off? And subsequently had to be put to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Kent Brockman: (Little) girl, likes her town. What's your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Isn't this the place where that dog had its lower jaw blown off? And subsequently had to be put to sleep.

Nope, that was finglas.

OP, never feel you need to make excuses or justify where you live to a bunch of toffs on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

That 77 bus is a barrel of laughs anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

RichieC wrote: »
    OP, never feel you need to make excuses or justify where you live to a bunch of toffs on the internet.

Tallaght's twin town Baghdad sticking the oar in :D

dsmythy wrote: »
    That 77 bus is a barrell of laughs anyway.

And always has been ,I remember in the 90's and early 00's the Sh!t that went down on that bus.In 1998 I was coming back from seeing a dj called Dave young (not the comedian) american guy that played techno ,fcuking class by the way.But anyway on the way home the nitelink arrived at the cookoo's nest and this guy at the back mad out of his head on pills kicked the back left window out on the top floor ,dropped out the side and walked up to the front of the bus and said to the bus driver that "he had a ventilation problem" Fcuking madness:pac:

I wouldn't sit upstairs on any bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I work in the main Methadone Clinic in Tallaght so I'm know a lot of the bad apples in Tallaght [though being on methadone does not make you a bad apple], with saying that I know loads of normal nice and helpful people from there. In certain parts there is a very strong positive community spirit; however, I would not live there.

Yet I must point out that I moved out of Dublin about 6 years ago, so it wouldn't be just Tallaght I would not live in. I would not move back to Dublin. OP you have no need to defend where you live, it is like anywhere else, there are both good and bad people living there.

• Advertisement

RichieC wrote: »

Hardly toffs. My aul fella used to say it was tuppence ha'penny looking down on ha'penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Used to be a ****hole but since Shamrock Rovers moved in its borderline Limerick on a friday night.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Used to be a ****hole but since Shamrock Rovers moved in its borderline Limerick on a friday night.

Only when youse Junkies are up there. The Black Horse and Golden Bridge stations need to taken off the Luas sharpish... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I live in Tallaght and agree that for the most part it is grand, I live right beside killinarden however and its an absolute dump, over run with scum bags. The amount of times ive been verbally abused and more walking to and from work is ridiculous:(

Odysseus wrote: »
    Yet I must point out that I moved out of Dublin about 6 years ago, so it wouldn't be just Tallaght I would not live in. I would not move back to Dublin. OP you have no need to defend where you live, it is like anywhere else, there are both good and bad people living there.

Me too ,I moved to Wicklow from tallaght and the cop shop closes at 11 every evening.And I have never heard of crime or shit in the area.I would not move back to Dublin if you paid me.My kids have a great life where we live and I would never change that.Fcuk it I don't mind the commute each day to Dublin/Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

But jees, go passed Old Bawn and up to Killinarden, Fortunestown, Jobstown (who the named these places? :D:D:D) and the likes and you're into bandit country:eek:

Maybe I'm a worse idiot for getting annoyed at a post on boards of all things, but we're not all total scummers, I should know, born and raised in Jobstown (or "bandit country" to you.) Yes it's not the most aesthetically pleasing and there are a fair few dodgies knocking around but they're everywhere and if you're going to be an absolute knack it's going to happen no matter where you're raised, it's either in you or it's not imho. The only reason Old Bawn is more settled is because its an older estate with older residents, or alot of the houses have been sold to young couples with very young children, give it 10 - 12 years when those kids grow up and see how quiet it is then.

Winds me up so much that people think they have a right to judge you based on where you're from or turn their noses up at the place you were raised in, it's downright snobbery.

I live in Tallaght and agree that for the most part it is grand, I live right beside killinarden however and its an absolute dump, over run with scum bags. The amount of times ive been verbally abused and more walking to and from work is ridiculous:(

I lived there ,fcuk them there only **** bringing it down.Most of the people there are grand ,just a few dickheads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I lived there ,fcuk them there only **** bringing it down.Most of the people there are grand ,just a few dickheads

I live and work in Tallaght so I know that generally its grand, just a few scummers bringing everyone down as you say! I just get singled out more because I dont wear tracksuits and fit in to the local look

-Leelo- wrote: »
    Maybe I'm a worse idiot for getting annoyed at a post on boards of all things, but we're not all total scummers, I should know, born and raised in Jobstown (or "bandit country" to you.) Yes it's not the most aesthetically pleasing and there are a fair few dodgies knocking around but they're everywhere and if you're going to be an absolute knack it's going to happen no matter where you're raised. The only reason Old Bawn is more settled is because its an older estate with older residents, or alot of the houses have been sold to young couples with very young children, give it 10 - 12 years when those kids grow up and see how quiet it is then.

Winds me up so much that people think they have a right to judge you based on where you're from or turn their noses up at the place you were raised in, it's downright snobbery.

I understand where you're coming from ,but I moved out because it was a shithole and I would never move back.Now I know there are plenty of decent people in areas such as Jobstown and Killinarden ,I have family in Killinarden.It's fine for them and they like it ,but it's not for me.The good thing is I know loads of people from the area and I like when Im visiting the lads in Donamore recognise me and say "hello" ,such as where I live now people really keep to themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

I understand where you're coming from ,but I moved out because it was a shithole and I would never move back.Now I know there are plenty of decent people in areas such as Jobstown and Killinarden ,I have family in Killinarden.It's fine for them and they like it ,but it's not for me.The good thing is I know loads of people from the area and I like when Im visiting the lads in Donamore recognise me and say "hello" ,such as where I live now people really keep to themselves

Admittedly I don't live there anymore, I'm in Saggart now and love it here but if it came to it and I had to move back to Jobstown it wouldn't bother me. I keep to myself anyway. I can understand people saying it's a kip, because it is dirty, anyone can see that. It's when people make personal judgements that it bothers me, being raised in Dublin 24 does not make you any less of a person raised in Dublin 4. It's a shame a few knackers gave the place a bad name really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement