Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 opia1970

Right so basically I wont be going on holidays? Even if I have my flights booked as proof etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

opia1970 wrote: »
    Right so basically I wont be going on holidays? Even if I have my flights booked as proof etc

https://www.dfa.ie/news-and-media/news-stories/news-archive/2013/may/passport-procedures-changes-provide-better-service/

Ok thanks for the link, I cannot get any time until the 17th (date of departure).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I was sure I'd lost my passport years ago, ended up finding it in a book I'd been reading!

Just out of interest if I was to go up myself would they turn you away on the spot or would you be allowed to wait until seen that day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

hi all,
    we're flying out on the 26th of july and we sent off an express application to renew our sons passport. he will be 4 on the 25th of july. we just got back our application in the post saying that the garda who signed the form didn't sign the photos so we have to re-apply.
    my query is:
    Why did the keep the photos and not send them back to be signed, this will cost another 10euro for new photos, but also the inconvenience

and secondly, do we have to re-pay for another express application as the return form claimed 'as the application was incomplete the original ten day passport express guarantee no longer applies'?

would i be quicker going into the office myself and physically handing over the relevant documents?
    thanks for the advice, as I've been on hold for 45mins at the passport office.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

No its only a slight crack in the plastic near the signature area.

So will the following documentation suffice for a replacement to a damaged passport?

1) Completed Application Form

2) 4 Photos, 2 of which are signed and stamped by Garda Witness

3) Damaged Passport

4) Proof of Address (Utility Bill)

5) Proof of Name (Payslip)

Should i throw in a copy of my drivers licence just to be safe?

Regards

LD

Well a first time adult would have to provide a driver's licence as well, plus a long form birth cert and marriage cert if applicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

opia1970 wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the link, I cannot get any time until the 17th (date of departure).

I've just done a test there and the 17th was the earliest date that was showing up for someone renewing their passport and travelling on 17th.

I tried again a few minutes later and there are now appointments for Monday the 7th.

I'd suggest trying again.

Maybe there was some cancellations, or some of the hatches for Monday were "opened up" on the system by Passport Office staff, which opened up availability for the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Well a first time adult would have to provide a driver's licence as well, plus a long form birth cert and marriage cert if applicable.

What do you mean by first time Adult?

The passport I currently have (which is damaged) was issued to me in 2009 when I was 20 years old.

Do I still need to provide birth certificate?

• Advertisement

What do you mean by first time Adult?

Someone over 18 who's never had a passport before, and has to provide sufficient documentation to prove who they are (i.e. original long form birth cert, marriage cert (if applicable), naturalisation cert (if applicable), photo ID, utility bill, etc.

The passport I currently have (which is damaged) was issued to me in 2009 when I was 20 years old.

Do I still need to provide birth certificate?

If the checker deems the passport to be damaged to such an extent that it is no longer usable / no longer possible to identify you, then yes.

Like I said it depends on how damaged it is.

Thank you so much I tried and I have an appointment Monday now.

So if I go with all my documents Monday and everything is filled out correctly etc and paid for an emergency (150E) you would reckon I would have it by 3/5 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

you can only visit the office to collect a PP or apply for one if you're travelling in less than X days (10 I think), visits are by appointment only and appointments are only granted if you qualify (see passportappiointments.ie)

I'd think you should stick to PP express, not sure if you pay again, the post office might know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Make sure you get a company that does Pick up full and return full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Someone over 18 who's never had a passport before, and has to provide sufficient documentation to prove who they are (i.e. original long form birth cert, marriage cert (if applicable), naturalisation cert (if applicable), photo ID, utility bill, etc.

If the checker deems the passport to be damaged to such an extent that it is no longer usable / no longer possible to identify you, then yes.

Like I said it depends on how damaged it is.

Thanks for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Aquagakka

hi all,
    we're flying out on the 26th of july and we sent off an express application to renew our sons passport. he will be 4 on the 25th of july. we just got back our application in the post saying that the garda who signed the form didn't sign the photos so we have to re-apply.
    my query is:
    Why did the keep the photos and not send them back to be signed, this will cost another 10euro for new photos, but also the inconvenience

and secondly, do we have to re-pay for another express application as the return form claimed 'as the application was incomplete the original ten day passport express guarantee no longer applies'?

would i be quicker going into the office myself and physically handing over the relevant documents?
    thanks for the advice, as I've been on hold for 45mins at the passport office.:mad:

You need to bear in mind that the application will go to the start of the system again when all the documents are in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just as an indicator as to times at the moment, we submitted 3 passport applications (1 renewal & 2 first passports) which were posted (passport express) on 17/06, they all arrived this morning, so if everything is in order its still close enough to the 10 day guide (ours was 12 working days from day of post to delivery)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

ya need a passport if travelling with Ryan air... it's their policy.... but keep ypur boarding pass because thats all you have to show in the uk... If you loose it they look for yr passport....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

any time I fly to Stansteed, I have had to show boarding card on entering UK....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I guess you've never landed at Gatwick South? Certainly in the flights I have taken through there from 1995 to last year a landing card is required to access the CTA channel - the problem being that income passngers are commingled.

Equally, sometimes at LCY passengers arriving from Dublin are channeled through the wrong door and thus on the wrong side of UKBA. On other occasions, someone mans the spare desk at the CTA door requiring some evidence from DUB originated passengers. Only Irish, UK and ISlands nationals are entitled to passport free travel hence the occcasional checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I have had the issue coming in to both Stanstead and Gatwick. Not every time but regularly.

Never an issue at Heathrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Definitely an issue in Gatwick, had my passport ready to show but she insisted on boarding pass luckily I hadn't left it on the plane. In any event it's so much quicker going through the separate Common Area check, sometimes the queues for non-CTA are horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

I'll be doing a lot of travelling later this year and my Passport expires in December. I want to go back to my Maiden Name when I renew and was thinking about applying for an Emergency passport while I have time in between trips - don't want to get left without a Passport. Does anyone here know if it's even possible to do a name change when using the emergency passport option?

TIA :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Gerinspain wrote: »
    I'll be doing a lot of travelling later this year and my Passport expires in December. I want to go back to my Maiden Name when I renew and was thinking about applying for an Emergency passport while I have time in between trips - don't want to get left without a Passport. Does anyone here know if it's even possible to do a name change when using the emergency passport option?

TIA :)

You won't get an emergency passport for what you want it for. They really only give those out if someone has died or very sick in hospital. Just renew your passport now. You don't need to wait until December. You'll need to submit divorce or separation papers. If you don't have that you'll need 2 forms of proof of usage that are over two years old from the date you apply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement