Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

I had a look at the "bulk seller" in Cavan and your bike is no longer listed.

we have a bulk seller in the south east that I have often wondered about, but he sells such no name crap that it's just about possible that it is above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LugsB

hypersonic wrote: »
    I had a look at the "bulk seller" in Cavan and your bike is no longer listed.

we have a bulk seller in the south east that I have often wondered about, but he sells such no name crap that it's just about possible that it is above board.

Maybe some of the shcumbags read this thread and removed the listing as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

LugsB wrote: »
    Maybe some of the shcumbags read this thread and removed the listing as a result?

Read...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hughperman

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    I'm based in Cavan, if you wish I would be more than happy to go take a look at the bike with a view to 'buying' it, if you PM me the ad. I could take a few pictures for you if you wished, might help identify it/put your mind at ease. May get a chance to see what else they have gathered.
    Thank you very very much for your kind offer! I'm not gonna take you up on it tho, girlfriend doesn't want to think / worry about it any more. You are very kind tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DUBintheSTICKS

Number of bikes recovered by Gardai in the north strand area of Dublin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157633986340849/

• Advertisement

Number of bikes recovered by Gardai in the north strand area of Dublin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157633986340849/

An object lesson there. If the owners took note of the frame numbers of those bikes and had supplied the numbers to gardai when the bikes were stolen, they'd have them back by now and those photos wouldn't be up...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

endacl wrote: »
    An object lesson there. If the owners took note of the frame numbers of those bikes and had supplied the numbers to gardai when the bikes were stolen, they'd have them back by now and those photos wouldn't be up...

If the owners initially went out and purchased decent locks like the New York or Abus Granite plus they wouldn't have had them nicked in the 1st place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

If the owners initially went out and purchased decent locks like the New York or Abus Granite plus they wouldn't have had them nicked in the 1st place.

Hindsight's 20:20.

Sure if they hadn't bought a bike at all... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Surely the barcodes on those boxes are all they need to track down those ones? Where do you rob a bike when its still boxed anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Thargor wrote: »
    Surely the barcodes on those boxes are all they need to track down those ones? Where do you rob a bike when its still boxed anyway?

Off the back of a lorry or back door of a stock room I'd bet

• Advertisement

If the owners initially went out and purchased decent locks like the New York or Abus Granite plus they wouldn't have had would have been less likely to have them nicked in the 1st place.
    Minor alteration. Nothing's impregnable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Well unfortunately my time has come to post on this thread. Bike stolen outside Spar in Carpenterstown in broad daylight at 11.45 am today, the shop have they guy on CCTV, 4th one he's had this week apparently. Bike's a Dolan Preffisio, fitted wwith race blades and Mavic Askium wheels back and front. Old 9 speed Tiagra groupset.

It's amazing how circumstances consipire to make the thief's life easier (other an locking it of course). Usually we stop there after GAA for an ice cream, loads of people diverge from the nearby pitch for treats, papers etc. Bike never leaves my sight. Today my son dithered over an ice cream and the shop has also put in a display which cuts off the line of sight. Recognized the thief as I had told my son to be careful not to knock him down about 30 seconds previous - even said hello to him. CCTV shows him doubling back, following us and as soon as I'm in the shop the bike's whipped. Lifted my own son's bike out of the way to get at it. Feel like such an eejit because even a 5 euro lock even would have delayed him.

Anyway, reported it to the guards and their going to get the CCTV. Holding out zero hope - apparently Smithfield is the place where they're flogged. Anyone any idea - is a cash converters or something like that?

Here's a picture for what it's worth - will be fishing the usual websites wwhere theses parasites off load them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Bike stolen outside Spar in Carpenterstown in broad daylight at 11.45 am today, the shop have they guy on CCTV, 4th one he's had this week apparently.

Which says it all. Why is there not a TV programme or website broadcasting this footage? Why are the Gardaí not bringing this footage into court? Even a local pub broadcasting it, without comment?

As for where to look, there was an Indymedia piece a few months ago called something like The Zen of Bike Theft that had various suggestions for places to look. Assumedly you've reported it to the Gardaí with photo and frame number?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kuroino

White-and-gray Carrera Crossfire 3 hybrid bike stolen from the bike rack outside the Hugh Lane Gallery just after 1pm today.
    It was attached to the rack with a very good lock (steel cord, covered with metal rings and steel wires around it) and the front wheel was attached to the back wheel too. The lock was cut and all the outer part (rings etc.) of it was removed

One of the guys at the green saw the thief and described him like white male in a green reflective jacket and green cap (the witness said he originally though the guy is Dublin City Council worker or something), not very high (170cm or so), young enough, but not a teenager if I understood the witness correctly.

The only photo of the bike that I had is attached. The front light and the pump was not mounted on it today.

Anyway if you come across this bike in any ads, please let me know. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I can't believe how atrocious Dublin is for bike theft. When I was in Dublin I had a kids bike that I would still lock twice. Now I live in Cork and have a high nelly. Not the fanciest of bikes, but have never had a problem leaving it overnight in the city. It also has one of those across the back wheel locks

I cycled in the other day, on a Saturday to pick up a few things and realised I'd forgotten a lock. Meaning to pick up a second one anyway, I went into a bike shop and asked for one. Because I'd to bring the bike in with me, the guy working there saw it and said that I'd get away with only using the back lock in Cork for short periods.

I still bought a lock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

For me it's a hard lesson to learn, my local spar is full of families and kids on that time on a Saturday. Watching the CCTV and how the guy effectively stalks me and robs the bike from me the minute i turn my back is thing that's hit me most. Even A cheap lock would have prevented this opportunism. Lesson learned - never ever leave a bike out of your sight, mine was gone in literally 10 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

I've been following this thread with great interest now for a long time and it never fails to amaze me how unsympathetic people can be to others' loss. The truth of the matter is, regardless how you lock your bike in Dublin, or where you lock it ( even in Drury St.), what lock or how expensive it costs, if the thieves want it they will get it.
    I wont leave my bike out of my sight in Dublin, sad to say, otherwise I just won't park it.
    Regarding attempts to foil what is obviously big business (and I tend to disbelieve the general consensus that the majority of bike thefts are random acts, altho no doubt many are), if anybody watched the Prime Time exposé on charity clothing thefts, if the Gardaí made the same efforts as the RTÉ crew did many of these culprits (and I am convinced it is organized gangs) would be behind bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bendypower

My bike was stolen from St James' Avenue at the back of the Guinness brewery this morning at about 11am. It was locked to a signpost outside a friend's house while I was helping her to move in and there was a 10 or 15 minute period where there was nobody out the front and the bike disappeared. I'm guessing there was someone around watching to see when the coast was clear. It's a black and white Muddyfox bike with a spray painted gold bell and gold lettering on the frame that says BENDYBIKE. I've attached pictures of the whole bike and of the customised lettering on it.

I'd really like to get this back as it was a birthday present a group of my friends clubbed together to get me 3 weeks ago and it means an awful lot to me. I am willing to buy it back if necessary so any suggestions where I could go to find it would be great too. It has been reported to the police but I'm not hopeful of finding it through that channel.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,522 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Post deleted - if you think you know where stolen bikes may end up contact the Guards - never post details here

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oconnor22

Hi guys, hardtail mountain bike la pierre pro race 200 2013 model stolen today. Any wind of it going round Id appreciate a heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

where'd it go missing from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oconnor22

PandyAndy wrote: »
    where'd it go missing from?

Good point! Sorry still on the peeved side of life! Dublin terenure area, white in colour with blue writing, road tyres on it at the time of stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Cheesepoo

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Bike stolen outside Spar in Carpenterstown in broad daylight at 11.45 am today, the shop have they guy on CCTV, 4th one he's had this week apparently.
    If thats true then it surely calls for a stake out! Put a nice bike up there. Around the side, unlocked easy to see. Do this for about 15 mins a day around the same time sit back and watch. Never know, he might try it again and then you've got him.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

If thats true then it surely calls for a stake out! Put a nice bike up there. Around the side, unlocked easy to see. Do this for about 15 mins a day around the same time sit back and watch. Never know, he might try it again and then you've got him.

And what you do next if you catch him?

sebphoto wrote: »
    And what you do next if you catch him?

Call him mean, then cry like a baby and run home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

dewindygap wrote: »
    I've been following this thread with great interest now for a long time and it never fails to amaze me how unsympathetic people can be to others' loss. The truth of the matter is, regardless how you lock your bike in Dublin, or where you lock it ( even in Drury St.), what lock or how expensive it costs, if the thieves want it they will get it.
    I wont leave my bike out of my sight in Dublin, sad to say, otherwise I just won't park it.
    Regarding attempts to foil what is obviously big business (and I tend to disbelieve the general consensus that the majority of bike thefts are random acts, altho no doubt many are), if anybody watched the Prime Time exposé on charity clothing thefts, if the Gardaí made the same efforts as the RTÉ crew did many of these culprits (and I am convinced it is organized gangs) would be behind bars.

And you really REALLY think a bicycle thief will be put behind bars by a Judge??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Call him mean, then cry like a baby and run home :(

I'm serious.
    What you would do if such fella would point a gun (knife, pistol or whatever) at you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

dewindygap wrote: »

I don't think it's fair to say people here are unsympathetic. I know when my bike(s) (yes--more than one!) were stolen I got great support and advice on here. Seems to me most just want to 'report' in and have others be on the look-out for it. I know I am hugely saddened for people when their bike is swiped, but if we all started gushing on every theft, i spose the thread would get a bit messy, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to say people here are unsympathetic. I know when my bike(s) (yes--more than one!) were stolen I got great support and advice on here. Seems to me most just want to 'report' in and have others be on the look-out for it. I know I am hugely saddened for people when their bike is swiped, but if we all started gushing on every theft, i spose the thread would get a bit messy, lol.

To some extent some people are cold and nasty. I've certainly added a few regular Cycling posters to my Ignore list, which contains unmannerly, nasty and unnecessarily foul-mouthed posters. (Life is calmer with an Ignore list walling off posters like that.)

• Advertisement

sebphoto wrote: »
    I'm serious.
    What you would do if such fella would point a gun (knife, pistol or whatever) at you?

Hmm good question. Honestly couldn't say. Would like to think i would remain calm talk my way out of it, let them take it, go with it and play along until i can get out. For this circumstance (stealing a bike in a public area) he would have to be in some way 'insane?' (can't think of a better word) So would be a Garda galour situation. If it was a knife rather than a gun i'd be sprinting off calling the Gards. I'm pretty fast feel i could make decent ground :D

Advertisement