Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it ok to strike anymore?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,653 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

gabhain7 wrote: »
    People are pissed with strikes, as strikes are inherently selfish, it's saying to the rest of society that the we the workers will not do what we've agreed and are paid to do but instead hold the rest of society to ransom.

A tad harsh... some strikes kick off because the conditions and pay that the workers agreed to are being changed by their employers, yet no one seems to mind this happening as much.

I see your point about public service versus private service strikes, though. But at some point you have to wonder: if your (not Gabhain specficially, ´your´ generally) working conditions were threatened, would you strike? Or would you accept the changes? (Conditions, as opposed to pay cuts, which I know a lot people have accepted)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    if your (not Gabhain specficially, ´your´ generally) working conditions were threatened, would you strike? Or would you accept the changes?

You forgot option 3 - get a new job. I think this is what tends to happen in the private sector. People bide their time and move on to newer and better things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

People bide their time and move on to newer and better things.

And demand ridiculous staring salaries..i remeber we ahd a college graduate applying for a 25 k per year job and him asking could he get a company car to offset the obvious "pay cut" he arrogated upon himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭james finn

Degsy wrote: »
    And demand ridiculous staring salaries..i remeber we ahd a college graduate applying for a 25 k per year job and him asking could he get a company car to offset the obvious "pay cut" he arrogated upon himself.

i work for myself and i cant go on strike and if im out of work i wont get the dole, these strikers should be happy they are better off than most of us.

Advertisement