Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like funky house?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

This whole thread is starting to remind me of listening to my mother complaining about that "bang bang bang stuff you call music"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

"will ya lower that pots and pans ****e down"

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree with that.

I'd be a big fan of house music that has a funky sound to it, always have, but not what would be considered Funky House nowadays.

I think nowadays Funky House is just a label to describe the cheesier end of the dance market. Just look at any "Funky House" chart and it just tends full of more Stilton than you find in an English food market. And I also think that people that don't like dance music with vocals would tend to call it Funky House which is generally wrong imo.

Agree with all of the above, I hate the term "funky house", it must be the gayest description of a musical genre that was ever coined. I love house music, in its purest form. Im not into minimal at all but would be partial to a bit of tech house or some progressive. I know this is gona sound a bit cliched but I think house music should make you want to dance and put a smile on your face whereas the likes of minimal does the total opposite to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

ntlbell wrote: »
    This whole thread is starting to remind me of listening to my mother complaining about that "bang bang bang stuff you call music"

yeah me and all that's why i said enough is enough unreal:D

Entec wrote: »
    thats the best discription of minimal i have heard.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

jonny68 wrote: »
    :D:D:D

;)

ketamine.jpg:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭francois

jonny68 wrote: »
    ketamine.jpg:D:D
    feckin thievein horsy bastids
    I wanna hear some funky dubdeathhousetechnodrmandbasstriptranceminimaldetroitunceunceuncethumpthumpmymahtesthisitallsoundslikeelectronicmusictomecore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

having said that i always get really suspicious when people slate something for being "intellectually devoid" as if their chosen drug sountrack is somehow superior because it's "clever"

i don't distrust "funky house" because it's not "clever" i distrust it because you hear it in shops where girls buy clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

i don't distrust "funky house" because it's not "clever" i distrust it because you hear it in shops where girls buy clothes.
    Jaysis that's a crap reason to "distrust it" I've heard plenty of DnB in clothes shops. And some of them even had women in them. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

having said that i always get really suspicious when people slate something for being "intellectually devoid" as if their chosen drug sountrack is somehow superior because it's "clever"

well i distrust it because it's not clever!

so there:D

and in comparison to a lot of electronic music it is intellectually devoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jtsuited wrote: »
    That comment is as bad as Jonny's "connoisseur" comment. For shame

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'd tend to agree with that.

I'd be a big fan of house music that has a funky sound to it, always have, but not what would be considered Funky House nowadays.

I think nowadays Funky House is just a label to describe the cheesier end of the dance market. Just look at any "Funky House" chart and it just tends full of more Stilton than you find in an English food market. And I also think that people that don't like dance music with vocals would tend to call it Funky House which is generally wrong imo.

Yeah I actually like house with vocals and assumed 'funky house' was another thing altogether - hence my reference to Hed Kandi etc.

Can anyone please post some good examples of 'funky house'? Even if it is from the Hed Kandi era! Basically, what is funky house and when did it start?!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

well i distrust it because it's not clever!

so there:D

Define 'intellectual' music so... kinda reminds me of an old 'IDM' debate :pac: (which is a tag I don't actually like, but do love the music it can be tagged to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

I do and I dont,some of it can be very irritating and annoying,and scene that goes with it I abhor,but some tunes I have give credit,there worth a spin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Jaysis that's a crap reason to "distrust it" I've heard plenty of DnB in clothes shops. And some of them even had women in them. :eek:

On further reflection you're pretty much right, my objection still stands though...

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Heres a couple of good "funky house" tunes imo. I ****in hate that term.

Funky Green Dogs " Reach for me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY9KbaKuito

Liberty City "If you really love someone"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X219MCmm2S0&feature=related

IMO the murk label is the best label for releasing the funky side of house music.

Agent Sumo "24 Hours"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqfDUzFWriI

Who Da funk? "Sting me Red"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1KKPQNQhG4

The Lisa Marie Experience "Do that to me"(part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU6zaJ1_fWY

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Define 'intellectual' music so... kinda reminds me of an old 'IDM' debate :pac: (which is a tag I don't actually like, but do love the music it can be tagged to).

argh here we go again. ok to clarify, and to wind up a few people too, imo it is intellectually devoid. As in it does not appeal to the intellect whatsoever. And in fact I find it insulting to my intellect as an an artform.

Yeah it's an intellectually snobby view to have, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't an intellectual snob.

At least I'm being honest about it though.

oh and what i'm saying is pretty much like saying it's hairdresser music. just i'm using more concrete terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

imo it is intellectually devoid.

so is the vast majority of dance music

And in fact I find it insulting to my intellect as an an artform.

Yeah it's an intellectually snobby view to have, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't an intellectual snob.

I'm finding it hard to reply to this without getting banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

i think i detest funky house so much these days (bar the fact that its ****) is because of the dregs of society it attracts, if anyone was ever unfortunate enough to stumble into the upstairs of traffic (when it was still around) on a friday or saturday you'd know what i was talking about, dity filty knackers, horrible gays and fat hairdressers, same with the white horse.

i find the type of music reflects on the people that listen to it, sh*t music is listened to by sh*t people (generally speaking of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pansoul

Jtsuited, you really think funky house fans would be wound-up if you told them it wasn't intellectual? Let me guess - as well as being a self-professed intellectual snob you have a predilection for building straw-men? :)

Besmirching funky house with "it's not intellectual enough" is like saying a football match was sh1t because no tries were scored -- it's so naturally true, obvious and expected that it's meaningless, and more appropriately refuted with a sarcastic loud guffaw and slap across the head than a reasoned argument.

For the record, I don't really like funky houses, simple old cottage does me fine. I'd love a nice chateau though all the same. ;)

brianc27 wrote: »
    i think i detest funky house so much these days (bar the fact that its ****) is because of the dregs of society it attracts, if anyone was ever unfortunate enough to stumble into the upstairs of traffic (when it was still around) on a friday or saturday you'd know what i was talking about, dity filty knackers, horrible gays and fat hairdressers, same with the white horse.

i find the type of music reflects on the people that listen to it, sh*t music is listened to by sh*t people (generally speaking of course)

Disliking or liking any music based on the type of people who listen to it is ridiculous.

You don't "choose" what music you like it "chooses" you. you can't adjust your ears to dislike something, your ears don't know some scumbag in ballymun just bought the record.

you either like a tune or you don't brushing off a whole "genre" even tho it's not really a genre in itself based on who buys the record is what 13yr old kids do wearing nirvana t-shirts at the central bank.

If anyone else is going to post in this thread before you type.

think. Am i going to say something so ****ing stupid i'll look like a complete moron. if the answer is yes, refrain from hitting "submit reply" do us all a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

You don't "choose" what music you like it "chooses" you. you can't adjust your ears to dislike something, your ears don't know some scumbag in ballymun just bought the record.

music doesnt choose you for gods sake, someone with a good ear for music chooses to listen to good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

music doesnt choose you for gods sake, someone with a good ear for music chooses to listen to good music.
    yep agree,its only in the past 2 years that ive developed a liking for minimal.when it first came out i wasnt a real fan of it.i didnt get it but i decided to give it a chance and looked about for some good tracks and grew to really like it.

It doesn't?

so you control what music you like?

How does that work? do you stare at the cd cover and go "i will like you" and you like it?

what if it's technically sound but it doesn't move you? who decides if you have a good ear for music or not?

if there's bands someone who apparently has a very good ear for music likes and i don't like them do i have a bad ear for music?

What if Brian Eno listened to westlife would he have a bad ear for music?

you don't make a technical decision to like something? you have no control over what moves you or doesn't

so not liking something because of others who listen to it is probably one of the most retarded statements ever.

"i'm not going to like this song"

"why"

"i seen some chav listening to it"

Right.

Can we hear more from you please.

It doesn't?

so you control what music you like?

How does that work? do you stare at the cd cover and go "i will like you" and you like it?

what if it's technically sound but it doesn't move you? who decides if you have a good ear for music or not?

if there's bands someone who apparently has a very good ear for music likes and i don't like them do i have a bad ear for music?

What if Brian Eno listened to westlife would he have a bad ear for music?

you don't make a technical decision to like something? you have no control over what moves you or doesn't

so not liking something because of others who listen to it is probably one of the most retarded statements ever.

"i'm not going to like this song"

"why"

"i seen some chav listening to it"

Right.

Can we hear more from you please.
    thought you werent gonna post in this thread again :D

he never said anything about not listening because other people listened to it.
    im positive that most people on here have had the experience of hearing a song on the radio and not being"moved":rolleyes:
    the after hearing it for a few more times get into it.
    this is partly due to hearing it so often but you also develope a taste for the track.you dont like it in the begining but then you grow to think its alright.
    same way you can sometimes not like a track but then if you hear it out in a club you can appreciate the impact it has and it puts the track in a whole new light

seannash wrote: »
    thought you werent gonna post in this thread again :D

he never said anything about not listening because other people listened to it.
    im positive that most people on here have had the experience of hearing a song on the radio and not being"moved":rolleyes:
    the after hearing it for a few more times get into it.
    this is partly due to hearing it so often but you also develope a taste for the track.you dont like it in the begining but then you grow to think its alright.
    same way you can sometimes not like a track but then if you hear it out in a club you can appreciate the impact it has and it puts the track in a whole new light

oh no?

"i think i detest funky house so much these days (bar the fact that its ****) is because of the dregs of society it attracts"

if a song is some what "challenging" and you have to listen to it a few times t you still aren't making a decision, the only decision you make is to listen you don't go "I'm going to like it" or "i won't like it"

if it does grow on you, you don't actively decide and make that decision you'll either like it or not you can't control if you do or not

i can't see why this concept is so confusing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

One word ''Popcorn'',if you've been there,you know what Im talking about

• Advertisement

its not a concept its your point of view.and other people dont agree with you.
    if it works for you cool but it obviously isnt as black and white for other people.
    i never said my examples were about challenging songs.there have been songs ive heard that i didnt like in the begining but ive either heard it out or have herd it a few times and ive liked them after a while.
    your saying people cant change there opinions about music.
    im sure weve all bought tracks thinking that yeah thats a good one then get it home(vinyl im talking about now)only to discover its not as good as you had thought in the shop.

Advertisement