Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with taxi driver - advice please

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

No. A dishonest person would take offense to it. An honest person wouldn't be all that bothered.

Do you really think that reporting something is having a go? Seriously?

I dunno TBH
    Long story short he said he would knock it down to 15 euro. As it was now 4.30am and we were both exhausted I agreed to pay this. I requested a receipt and told the driver I would be reporting the situation.

If I'd done my best to sort out a situation amicably by knocking 50% off ( not knowing what conversations went on or what destinations were said ) and then got told that I'd be miffed myself

I'll tell yer a quick story. picked up fella n girl to go very local Leeson St to Ballsbridge, I took a wrong turning and quite reasonably girl got miffed and said I'm not paying that you're just running up the bill,
    yeah I did run up the bill reckon by about €2, but as the bill would normally be only like €6 and it was busy I said Forget it, you just got a free lift home!
    She went berserk threatening to report me and all sorts for overcharging her when I actually didn't take a cent. Imagine how miffed I was when she started asking me for my ID.....True story

BTW I mention this because I'm an honest person, honesty doesn't mean you're not gonna get miffed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

oisindoyle wrote: »

I'm not. Read what the OP said
    .He /she said that the driver said there was more than one.

yeah - the taxi driver said there was more than one when confronted by the op, not when the op's friend go into the cab. It sounds to me like the OP's mate got into the cab, named a destination and the driver, knowing there was two, just set off for the furthest one.
    See, for me, if I was going to a mates house, and I didn't know where it was, but my mate was expecting me and had given me his phone number, if I get into a cab, name the destination and the driver says "which one" - then I ring my mate and say "which one".
    The OP's mate didn't ring the OP, because the OP's mate didn't know there was more than one possible destination, and the OP's mate didn't know there was more than one destination because the taxi driver didn't tell him, and the taxi driver - in my experience - didn't tell him because he was chancing his arm.

Now I say that about the taxi driver because every time I've gotten into a cab where there's been confusion about the destination, the drivers have been very good as establishing what I want to do before setting off i.e. "I can head here first if you like, or I can go this way" etc. The pressure is on me to make the call.
    The fact that the driver admitted he knew there were choices, but didn't inform the passenger, is highly suspect, and I suspect he knew exactly what he was doing. It's in the best interest of taxi drivers to expose this kind of crap rather than defend it.
    Think about it ,you arrive in a strange city and you havent got the gumption to have either the correct address or at best a contact number of the address.Daft in the extreme

I travel a lot with work, and frequently might only have a hotel name to hand - if there is more than one hotel, there isn't a taxi I've gotten into which will just pick one at random - they want you to confirm exactly which hotel you want, or they won't take you. Which is what the driver here should have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Something about meters that you don't ever hear about and it will explain what may have happened here.

A meter has a clock built into it and it is allowed 3 minutes slack - or + every four weeks. Once a month it needs to be checked to see if it needs to be adjusted up or down before the next month comes on. Don't chance it this month and the wee error can't be corrected by the driver until next month and even then it can only be adjusted by three minutes. While 3 minutes out doesn't seem like a lot, to be out by three minutes every month means a meter's clock can vary by 39 minutes every year if left unchecked. Invariably it can go out by even more in which case the variance can be out by a lot more.

Should this happen, the meter needs to be reprogrammed by an installer and for the seal to be legally reset; this can cost €200+ to remedy something which is simple to deal with and shouldn't happen at all; it's sheer sloppiness by the driver. And it's for the want of something that isn't known by a lot of drivers when they hit the road and by even less passengers.

Eh? So how exactly do such clocks handle the hour been put back or forward twice a year?

Sounds a bit cooky to me - similar to the way limiters / tachographs can't be got at either perhaps?

Spook_ie wrote: »

I dunno TBH..,

I'll tell yer a quick story. picked up fella n girl to go very local Leeson St to Ballsbridge, I took a wrong turning and quite reasonably girl got miffed and said I'm not paying that you're just running up the bill,
    yeah I did run up the bill reckon by about €2, but as the bill would normally be only like €6 and it was busy I said Forget it, you just got a free lift home!
    She went berserk threatening to report me and all sorts for overcharging her when I actually didn't take a cent. Imagine how miffed I was when she started asking me for my ID.....True story

Definitely a taxi driver I reckon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

gozunda wrote: »
    Definitely a taxi driver I reckon...
    now in fairness goz, spookie is one of the better ones on here. i'd be more inclined to read spookies stores and take his advice :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The OP said "told the driver I would be reporting the situation
    Any person would take offence at that.
    The driver thought he was doing his best by bringing passenger to the address he thought it was.
    The onus was on the passenger to have the correct address it wasnt up to the driver to make an assumption ,which unfotunately for him was the wrong one .
    He reduced the fare which he didnt have to , and then was told he was going to be reported .
    Farsicial
    Only someone in the wrong would be upset at being reported!

The onus is on the driver to get clear instructions and destination before proceeding. You say it wasn't up to the driver to make assumptions yet in this case he made the assumption that favoured him the most!

He most likely reduced the fare rather than have the op direct them all to the nearest Gardai station where his lack of printer would see him put off the road!

We must also remember it was an airport pick-up in the early hours so the driver most likely saw a cash cow when he herd the culchie accent.

now in fairness goz, spookie is one of the better ones on here. i'd be more inclined to read spookies stores and take his advice :D

Accepted ;) not in any way uncomplimentary just the post reads as a taxi driver would tell it out loud. Good stuff.

Taxi driver was wrong, if he had nothing to fear about being reported, surly he had no need to create the facade as he did with the printer and furnishing different details.

The sooner a proper postcode system is implemented on this island, the bloody better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I dunno TBH

If I'd done my best to sort out a situation amicably by knocking 50% off ( not knowing what conversations went on or what destinations were said ) and then got told that I'd be miffed myself

BTW I mention this because I'm an honest person, honesty doesn't mean you're not gonna get miffed

I'll report you on behalf of the Boardsies for not giving them a receipt for said free fare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

gozunda wrote: »
    Eh? So how exactly do such clocks handle the hour been put back or forward twice a year?

Sounds a bit cooky to me - similar to the way limiters / tachographs can't be got at either perhaps?

It''s programmed to happen automatically on the relevant dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

how the **** dare you say something so stupid like like.
    Tone it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Only someone in the wrong would be upset at being reported! .
    Read Spookies comment and see exactly how passengers react.
    The onus is on the driver to get clear instructions and destination before proceeding..

Correct,But the passenger hadn't got the full address.

You say it wasn't up to the driver to make assumptions yet in this case he made the assumption that favoured him the most!.

Why do you always think the worst of this driver/drivers.Not a topic comes up without you constantly thinking the worst of drivers.
    The driver brought the passenger to the place he thought was the destination .Why not think it was an honest mistake .It happens .
    But in your world every taxi driver is in the wrong and out to get people .
    He most likely reduced the fare rather than have the op direct them all to the nearest Gardai station where his lack of printer would see him put off the road!.

Would it ?
    We must also remember it was an airport pick-up in the early hours so the driver most likely saw a cash cow when he herd the culchie accent.

Where did the OP mention an airport pick up ?.Perhaps "we" must remember to actually read posts, instead of rolling out our usual attack on taxi drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...Why not think it was an honest mistake...

No receipt and false details.
    Admitted knowing there was more than one place with the same, but never clarified it with the passenger.

How any of that could be "honest" is bizarre.

Victor wrote: »
    Tone it down

i did ,honestly your honor i really did :D

But no refund system in the world will work when people decide to moan on here instead of through the correct procedure
    agreed spookie but the problem is . when people complain about being overcharged and the complaint actually being proven they've still no come back and no refund. so in actual fact they're wasting their time and money complaining. as i said earlier it's the only sector in this country where a person pays for a service and is not entitled to a refund for being overcharged. if there did exist such a system firstly people wouldn't be moaning on here and secondly the regulator would be employing alot more people to deal with the amounts of complaints for compensation.but as it is people like myself and most of yourselves (taxi drivers) have absolutely no faith in the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

agreed spookie but the problem is . when people complain about being overcharged and the complaint actually being proven they've still no come back and no refund. so in actual fact they're wasting their time and money complaining. as i said earlier it's the only sector in this country where a person pays for a service and is not entitled to a refund for being overcharged. if there did exist such a system firstly people wouldn't be moaning on here and secondly the regulator would be employing alot more people to deal with the amounts of complaints for compensation.but as it is people like myself and most of yourselves (taxi drivers) have absolutely no faith in the regulator.

I think you'll find that the courts are empowered to "persuade" the taxi driver to refund if they find he has overcharged.

But again this is a problem that won't be addressed until you the consumer back up the taxi drivers by telling the powers that be the Taxi Regulator is a toothless, overpaid, responsibility dodging shower of ****

But again this is a problem that won't be addressed until you the consumer back up the taxi drivers by telling the powers that be the Taxi Regulator is a toothless, overpaid, responsibility dodging shower of ****
    that my friend is the million dollar question. who exactly are the powers that be? is it leo the minister for transport which includes tax's or is it another department that looks after the consumer and the acts that go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

BostonB wrote: »

No receipt and false details.
    Admitted knowing there was more than one place with the same, but never clarified it with the passenger.

How any of that could be "honest" is bizarre.
    He couldn't issue a valid receipt as correct fare hadn't been paid. He didn't "admit" anything. It's clear to me the guy only realised there were two possible destinations when the call was made to the passengers. Up till then he was going to what he believed was the only "29 Jones Avenue " lets say. Its clear also that the far destination was not to his advantage - virtually no chance of a return fare straight after drop off . Despite all this he reduced the fare from 26 to 15 and took some responsibility because of his lack of knowledge we must presume.
    I don't condone the false details in any way but its a separate issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The false details only backs up people's view that this taxi driver was up to no good and out to fleece someone he saw as a soft target. It is not a separate issue at all as it is directly related to the driver not having a working printer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

This random amnesia is very useful. Forgot there was a valid reason for no receipt, so lied about it. Forget similar places exist, only to remember when reminded. Luckily enough forgot the nearest one, but remembered the furthest one. Forgot his own details, and of the details on the display. Only to remember when challenged. At least its consistent. Its always to his advantage and to put the customer at a disadvantage.

Not sure how any of that is taking responsibility. Reducing the fare seemed to be tactic to avoid giving his details and being reported. Which would be consistent with his other actions. Also the line given in his defence seems to be that the customer is always responsible for giving an exact address, and the driver has no responsible for checking even when it can be confused with other locations.Of course maybe the driver made an honest mistake, and was just unlucky that everything else he did just coincidentally looks as dodgy as heck.

If the OP was to report the driver would anything actually happen. I don't think so. I expect most people who use taxi's know to keep an eye on where they are going, and they they give you some confirmation that they know the destination. This story just reminds people to keep doing that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement