Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with taxi driver - advice please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Taxi driver picks up passenger from cork at 4am and tries to rip them off by doing a tour of the county, nothing unusual about this apart from him actually giving his correct details the second time he was asked instead of just exploding in a torrent of verbal abuse at the op and passenger and then driving off at speed in search of another victim.

Did you actually read the OP comments? or is it just your usual taxi bash reply that you prefer to show .
    Nowhere did the OP say the driver did a "tour of the country"
    Nowhere did the OP say the driver "exploded in a torrent of verbal abuse "
    Nowhere did the OP say the driver drove off at speed looking for "another victim"
    Alas your usual taxi bashing is beginning to look embarressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

oisindoyle wrote: »

You should have in all fairness given your friend the EXACT address and a phone number .
    The driver was decent enough to reduce the fare but unfortunately your attitude towards him wasn't appropriate .

To me it was a genune mistake (it happens )but because YOU didnt give your friend your EXACT address somehow the driver is in the wrong ??!!!

As usual we have the "usual suspects" on here saying drivers or this driver was only trying to rip the passenger off .But if a driver is given only part of the address he cannot be blamed.

Yes all drivers should by law have a working taxi receipt ,but this is not the issue in this case .

Unfortunately your behaviour left a lot to be desired .
    Next time give your friend/s the exact address with your phone number to avoid confusion
    Driving miles out of the way to hike up the fare, refusing to give their details when asked then giving false details, then making up excuses not to give a receipt. That person driving that car should be thankful the regulator was not their passenger!

Yet you manage to blame the passenger and the op because of a taxi drivers poor performance and lack of printer.

Is it any wonder people distrust taxi drivers so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

As usual we have the "usual suspects" on here saying drivers or this driver was only trying to rip the passenger off .But if a driver is given only part of the address he cannot be blamed...

So you reckon the driver was simply inept. Didn't know and had no means to check the address. In an age of smart phones, and gps units. Theres no excuse of not knowing your way around when its your job and something you do all day and night. Looking up an index on a map would also work.

BostonB wrote: »
    So you reckon the driver was simply inept. Didn't know and had no means to check the address. In an age of smart phones, and gps units. Theres no excuse of not knowing your way around when its your job and something you do all day and night. Looking up an index on a map would also work.

True but as the OP there was a few places with the same name ,
    The passneger hadnt got the full address.how could he check ?Im sure he would have if he had the full details
    There are numerous places in Dublin with the same address ,"The Pines," The Green" The Mews",the avenue all can be found both on northside and southide ,you have to be specific.
    Theres also a hampton court/green/ avenue /square in clontarf and theres also a hampton court/green /avenue/square in cabra,see the problem ?
    The OP's friend didnt have the address ,so the driver went to the place he thought it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

Nowhere did the OP say the driver "exploded in a torrent of verbal abuse "
    Celui wrote: »
    This aggravated him and he shouted at both myself and my guest.
    so oisin i suppose you'd call this a bit of friendly banter or chit chat. once someone shouts they loose control of themselves and the situation. we've already had stories of women being in fear once taxi drivers started to shout at them.
    Alas your usual taxi bashing is beginning to look embarressing
    i'm afraid it is the other way around. it is YOU who is an embarrassment to your industry by condoning the drivers actions as usual. when will you come on here and agree with what people have to say for a change.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    That person driving that car should be thankful the regulator was not their passenger!

Yet you manage to blame the passenger and the op because of a taxi drivers poor performance and lack of printer.

Is it any wonder people distrust taxi drivers so much!
    ahhhh now foggy, even if the regulator was a passenger worst case scenario is they bring in the driver tell them not to do it again and to be on their merry way.
    last but not least
    Alas your usual taxi bashing
    again it is you who make these out to be taxi bashing threads. every single time someone creates a thread regarding a genuine problem they had with a taxi driver you come here instantly saying it's another taxi bashing thread.
    i had something similar happen to a friend that was staying with me, driver took a wrong turn and drove for about two miles then said to my friend but you should've said is was in a certain estate. F.F.S. there is only one estate like mine and that is my estate and yet blamed the passenger. i await oisin's cock and bull story to back up the driver :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. and yes they were given the correct address before you ask.
    now back to the o.p.'s dilema. after reading the comments by some taxi drivers on here i second the suggestion that you get onto Leo Varadkar , from past experience he does get back with someone once they've got into touch with him. good thing is he calls things as he sees them and doesn't come up with some cock and bull story/bull**** excuse like some posters in here.

• Advertisement

so oisin i suppose you'd call this a bit of friendly banter or chit chat. once someone shouts they loose control of themselves and the situation. we've already had stories of women being in fear once taxi drivers started to shout at them..
    The OP said he/she agravated him so what would you expect .The OP had already had a go at him ,I wouldnt blame the driver.

i'm afraid it is the other way around. it is YOU who is an embarrassment to your industry by condoning the drivers actions as usual. when will you come on here and agree with what people have to say for a change.

Condoning what exactly ? The driver was in a difficult situation ,he brought the person (who foolishly didnt know where they were going ) tot the address he thought it might be and even offered to reduce a fare to 15euro ,which was the right thing to do considering it wasnt his fault .

again it is you who make these out to be taxi bashing threads. every single time someone creates a thread regarding a genuine problem they had with a taxi driver you come here instantly saying it's another taxi bashing thread..

Well actually if you have a look at the past 50 threads on taxis ,every single one desends into a taxi bash thread.
    No matter what the subject is about or a given situation it always ends up taxi bashing and 9 times out of 10 the thread has to be locked.Fact
    i had something similar happen to a friend that was staying with me, driver took a wrong turn and drove for about two miles then said to my friend but you should've said is was in a certain estate. F.F.S. there is only one estate like mine and that is my estate and yet blamed the passenger. i await oisin's cock and bull story to back up the driver :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. and yes they were given the correct address before you ask..

So your friend just sat there and said nothing while the driver took a wrong turn and drove for "about two miles" Most people would say something !

I see the problem alright. Taxi's that can't use a map, gps, or smartphone. But are happy to drive all over the city guessing where somewhere is, at the customers expense, and without informing the customer they are running up excessive fares.

Someone that inept (and/or corrupt) should be struck off. Thats the problem right there.

If someone doesn't know where they are going, you don't take them, and tell them to go get a full address.

T...Well actually if you have a look at the past 50 threads on taxis ,every single one desends into a taxi bash thread.
    No matter what the subject is about or a given situation it always ends up taxi bashing and 9 times out of 10 the thread has to be locked.Fact...

Says a lot about the industry.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0828/ireland/taxi-regulator-logs-1-complaint-a-day-205517.html
    * 12 complaints regarding the condition and cleanliness of the vehicle;

* 79 complaints regarding the conduct and behaviour of an SPSV operator or driver;

* 51 complaints related to overcharging or to other matters relating to fares;

* 39 complaints linked to issues over the hiring of an SPSV.

I see the problem alright. Taxi's that can't use a map, gps, or smartphone. But are happy to drive all over the city guessing where somewhere is, at the customers expense, and without informing the customer they are running up excessive fares.

Someone that inept (and/or corrupt) should be struck off. Thats the problem right there.

If someone doesn't know where they are going, you don't take them, and tell them to go get a full address.

How can the driver use a map or gps system if the passenger hasnt got the full adddress ??? tell me how ?
    If the passenger had the FULL address then things would have been different.
    Example
    Passenger Hampton court please
    Driver Which one
    Passenger I dont know thats all I know
    Driver I will take you to the first one ............
    Theres hampton court in cabra and one in clontarf so whos in the wrong .
    The passenger is because he/she doesnt know where they are going

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0828/ireland/taxi-regulator-logs-1-complaint-a-day-205517.html[/QUOTE]

* 79 complaints regarding the conduct and behaviour of an SPSV operator or driver;

Out of approx 13,000 taxis in Dublin alone and approx 23,000 taxis in Ireland the above stats are not even a blip

• Advertisement

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0828/ireland/taxi-regulator-logs-1-complaint-a-day-205517.html[/QUOTE]

Out of approx 13,000 taxis in Dublin alone and approx 23,000 taxis in Ireland the above stats are not even a blip

Apparently they were all out of ink and couldn't supply their details. Otherwise it would be higher.

So your friend just sat there and said nothing while the driver took a wrong turn and drove for "about two miles" Most people would say something !
    thank you very much for proving my point by blaming my friend. all i said was my friend gave the correct address. they got the taxi from the airport. they gave the correct address but didn't know the route, fare should've cost around €22 they were charged €30. come on oisin you dont know who is driving you around these days. you can have a criminal record and still drive a taxi. plus why the hell should my friend tell the taxi driver where to drive and what route to take. fact is my friend got ripped off and all you can is why didn't they say something. how the **** dare you say something so stupid like like.
    In the case of the o.p. their friend did get ripped off, they tackled the driver who reduced the fare because they knew the game was up. with the way the taxi business is today your telling me the driver reduced the fare out of the goodness of their heart. ohhhhh come on oisin now your really taking the piss.
    now lets get a few things clear.
    when a person gets a taxi they expect.
    (A) they expect the driver to get them from A to B as quickly and safely as possible
    (B) they would expect the driver to know where they're going
    (C) do not expect to be ripped off/robbed.
    No matter what the subject is about or a given situation it always ends up taxi bashing and 9 times out of 10 the thread has to be locked.Fact
    wrong ,it is you who turns them into taxi bashing threads. we give our views which we're entitled to, but you come along saying in every thread that it's another taxi bashing thread. not us. they're your words.
    i can tell you this after that comment you made ,next time it happens it wont be my friend who'll be saying something it'll be the guards.

How can the driver use a map or gps system if the passenger hasnt got the full adddress ??? tell me how ?...

All the driver needs to know is there more than one possibility. If the customer doesn't know which one it is, when told theres more than one, then driver shouldn't take the fair. Its that simple. But you're suggesting the driver doesn't know theres more than one. Which implies they don't know how to read a map. (or use a GPS). In which case they shouldn't be driving a taxi. Or they guess. Which for me is the same, shouldn't be dealing with customers.

Its is a bit like paying someone to repair a puncture and they charge you for replacing every tyre till they guess the right one. :eek:

thank you very much for proving my point by blaming my friend. all i said was my friend gave the correct address. they got the taxi from the airport. they gave the correct address but didn't know the route, fare should've cost around €22 they were charged €30. come on oisin you dont know who is driving you around these days. you can have a criminal record and still drive a taxi. plus why the hell should my friend tell the taxi driver where to drive and what route to take. fact is my friend got ripped off and all you can is why didn't they say something. how the **** dare you say something so stupid like like.
    In the case of the o.p. their friend did get ripped off, they tackled the driver who reduced the fare because they knew the game was up. with the way the taxi business is today your telling me the driver reduced the fare out of the goodness of their heart. ohhhhh come on oisin now your really taking the piss.
    now lets get a few things clear.
    when a person gets a taxi they expect.
    (A) they expect the driver to get them from A to B as quickly and safely as possible
    (B) they would expect the driver to know where they're going
    (C) do not expect to be ripped off/robbed.

wrong ,it is you who turns them into taxi bashing threads. we give our views which we're entitled to, but you come along saying in every thread that it's another taxi bashing thread. not us. they're your words.
    i can tell you this after that comment you made ,next time it happens it wont be my friend who'll be saying something it'll be the guards.

Well might i suggest that you re read the above comments again(with your abusive langauge thrown in ) and see how it is not a "taxi bashing " thread ,

All the driver needs to know is there more than one possibility. If the customer doesn't know which one it is, when told theres more than one, then driver shouldn't take the fair.

He did know there was more thats the point ,It was up to the passenger to know where he/she was going or at least have a contact number.the driver drove to where he thought was the correct place given the little info presented.
    But you're suggesting the driver doesn't know theres more than one..

I'm not. Read what the OP said
    .He /she said that the driver said there was more than one.
    Which implies they don't know how to read a map. (or use a GPS). In which case they shouldn't be driving a taxi. Or they guess. Which for me is the same, shouldn't be dealing with customers.

The passenger has to take a lot of the blame not the driver ,The driver did his best given what little info the passenger had ,
    Think about it ,you arrive in a strange city and you havent got the gumption to have either the correct address or at best a contact number of the address.Daft in the extreme

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The point here is that when challenged (after the fact) the driver admitted that there were multiple destinations with the same name.

Therefore when he was hired he knew that there was a lack of clarity but he didn't ascertain the exact address until after he arrived at a location.

The hirer didn't know, the driver did but chose not to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

parsi wrote: »
    The point here is that when challenged (after the fact) the driver admitted that there were multiple destinations with the same name.

Therefore when he was hired he knew that there was a lack of clarity but he didn't ascertain the exact address until after he arrived at a location.

The hirer didn't know, the driver did but chose not to mention it.

That would be fair enough if we are talking about something like two minor roads which share names such as Sandford Road or asking for the Church of Ireland church in Killiney or heading to Cherrywood. It's a little different if it's something like asking for Tesco's in Finglas and meaning their new and rather unknown Express instead of Clearwater or Barton Road and not mentioning that it's the small section off Grange Road which did happen me one night. Unless OP comes back and names their location then we can only but surmise and argue the toss here.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Unless OP comes back and names their location then we can only but surmise and argue the toss here.

In fairness - that's what this forum is about. Arguing the toss and tossing out baseless allegations.

It's done for taxi's, Bus Eireann, Dublin Bus and Iarnrod Eireann.

Main difference with the taxi customers is that they are usually paying...

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

If the driver was in the right, why did they try to give the OP the wrong license details? As regards being brought to the wrong destination, both sides could be argued, but not giving a receipt when asked, bad enough, but to try to further cover tracks by giving wrong license info, just disgraceful!

99.9% of taxi journeys I have taken are grand, but if this stunt was pulled on me I would not let it lie.

parsi wrote: »
    In fairness - that's what this forum is about. Arguing the toss and tossing out baseless allegations.

Sure what else to do when you are waiting for your golden pass bus to arrive? :D

• Advertisement

He did know there was more thats the point ,It was up to the passenger to know where he/she was going or at least have a contact number.the driver drove to where he thought was the correct place given the little info presented.

I'm not. Read what the OP said
    .He /she said that the driver said there was more than one.

We weren't talking about the OP situation but how drivers approach the problem in general. You asked how can someone find a place with partial information.
    The passenger has to take a lot of the blame not the driver ,The driver did his best given what little info the passenger had ,
    Think about it ,you arrive in a strange city and you havent got the gumption to have either the correct address or at best a contact number of the address.Daft in the extreme

Best would have been to find out the right location. Not drive all over and inflate the fare. Which is why they didn't want to give their proper details and receipt. If the driver thought they had done nothing wrong they wouldn't have acted like that.

all slagging aside incl taxi drivers. most of us have been abroad and have had to get taxi's incl myself. when hiring a taxi in spain never once did it cross my mind that there maybe two destinations with the same name.in fact it's the same when most of us go abroad so why does that make ireland different when tourists come here be it from another country or county. common sense should prevail when people use public transport no matter what it is, whether it's rail,buses or taxi's. right in fairness some taxi drivers will get clarification if they know theres two addresses but the vast majority wont. i mention buses because if a passenger asks for a particular place after arriving in dublin e.g. clarion hotel the driver will ask which one. they dont asume ,they get clarification.
    we (the posters here) and taxi drivers will agree on one thing though, and that is the regulator aint worth a toss. until things really change there will always be arguments on topics like this.unfortunately this isn't going to happen. even with the new changes coming in next year i think they are just another red herring for joe public.t.b.h they wont change how people feel about getting taxi's. if the regulator/government were really concerned about the travelling public they would introduce a refund system that way the ripping off would be gone .people would have alot more faith in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If I'm at work and someone asks me to delete a database and doesn't specify which one or specifies something ambiguous like "test" (could be "project A, test" or "project B, test"-you get the picture) then i ask for clarification from them before proceeding. If a taxi driver KNOWS that the information provided was ambiguous, then he or she is not doing their job properly unless they clarify the information given. No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lodged a complaint during the week

8:20am in the morning, drivers receipt showed 7:20am and so I was on the higher fare. Lower fare kicks in at 8am

A medium trip, 7km or so and I estimate I paid 3 euro too much

I don't think he even realized it, I think it was a mistake
    But I tend to trust everyone and never doubt anyone :o

Form filled up, reciept and all, got a reply from a Compliance Executive
    What a fancy job title :cool:

And it's being looked into by a Compliance Officer
    Another fancy job title

I don't want to give my exact reference but it's something like 2500/12

I just assumed there was around 2500 complaints for 12 which of course is 2012

Now I see there are not even 200 :confused:

Lots of taxi threads on boards but few enough ever post the form to Fitzwilliam Square.
    Nothing changes unless you complain
    Only cost is the price of an envelope and a stamp. :)

mikemac1 wrote: »

Lodged a complaint during the week

8:20am in the morning, drivers receipt showed 7:20am and so I was on the higher fare. Lower fare kicks in at 8am

Something about meters that you don't ever hear about and it will explain what may have happened here.

A meter has a clock built into it and it is allowed 3 minutes slack - or + every four weeks. Once a month it needs to be checked to see if it needs to be adjusted up or down before the next month comes on. Don't chance it this month and the wee error can't be corrected by the driver until next month and even then it can only be adjusted by three minutes. While 3 minutes out doesn't seem like a lot, to be out by three minutes every month means a meter's clock can vary by 39 minutes every year if left unchecked. Invariably it can go out by even more in which case the variance can be out by a lot more.

Should this happen, the meter needs to be reprogrammed by an installer and for the seal to be legally reset; this can cost €200+ to remedy something which is simple to deal with and shouldn't happen at all; it's sheer sloppiness by the driver. And it's for the want of something that isn't known by a lot of drivers when they hit the road and by even less passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The OP said he/she agravated him so what would you expect .The OP had already had a go at him ,I wouldnt blame the driver.

No. This is what he/she said:
    I requested a receipt and told the driver I would be reporting the situation. This aggravated him and he shouted at both myself and my guest.

I'm not sure if you're deliberately trying to misunderstand the situation.

No. This is what he/she said:

I'm not sure if you're deliberately trying to misunderstand the situation.

The OP said "told the driver I would be reporting the situation
    Any person would take offence at that.
    The driver thought he was doing his best by bringing passenger to the address he thought it was.
    The onus was on the passenger to have the correct address it wasnt up to the driver to make an assumption ,which unfotunately for him was the wrong one .
    He reduced the fare which he didnt have to , and then was told he was going to be reported .
    Farsicial

One more thing: Is it the done thing these days to not issue a receipt when there might be a complaint and is it normal to provide false details as well?

This doesn't seem to be bothering oisín as much as the fact that the posters on here find this behaviour objectionable.

The OP said "told the driver I would be reporting the situation
    Any person would take offence at that.

No. A dishonest person would take offense to it. An honest person wouldn't be all that bothered.

Do you really think that reporting something is having a go? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

all slagging aside incl taxi drivers. most of us have been abroad and have had to get taxi's incl myself. when hiring a taxi in spain never once did it cross my mind that there maybe two destinations with the same name.in fact it's the same when most of us go abroad so why does that make ireland different when tourists come here be it from another country or county. common sense should prevail when people use public transport no matter what it is, whether it's rail,buses or taxi's. right in fairness some taxi drivers will get clarification if they know theres two addresses but the vast majority wont. i mention buses because if a passenger asks for a particular place after arriving in dublin e.g. clarion hotel the driver will ask which one. they dont asume ,they get clarification.
    we (the posters here) and taxi drivers will agree on one thing though, and that is the regulator aint worth a toss. until things really change there will always be arguments on topics like this.unfortunately this isn't going to happen. even with the new changes coming in next year i think they are just another red herring for joe public.t.b.h they wont change how people feel about getting taxi's. if the regulator/government were really concerned about the travelling public they would introduce a refund system that way the ripping off would be gone .people would have alot more faith in the system.

But no refund system in the world will work when people decide to moan on here instead of through the correct procedure

Advertisement