Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Your Gear (DISCUSSION ONLY)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ancient1 wrote: »
    I've never in my life even seen a 7-string in person (except at gigs obviously), let alone touched or played one. :p
    don't think i've even seen one at a gig.

it's what we get for loving strats.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You're just going to the wrong gigs :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

My collection.
    From right to left:
    Maverick F1, my old Spectrum Les Paul I did up (you may remember the thread) and a 5-string G&L I bought off feylya a while ago (I removed the scratchplate, really like "all-wood" look).
    Geetars.jpg
    Only really got around to playing the hell out of the bass recently, was up to my arse in work and so forth and never really had the time but I'm really enjoying playing bass now. Fingers are still getting used to the bigger strings and plucking the strings too, now I have callouses on both hands :D

The "Les Paul" actually sounds real nice now, put a DiMarzio and a Seymour Duncan in her (can't remember the models... think they're in that old thread) and it sounds real bright. Nice action on it and a surprisingly nice neck for such a cheap-o guitar.

Still don't beat the F1 for pure comfort though, the neck is paper thin which is exactly what I like in a guitar.

Not pictured is the SX strat I'm going to have a go at at some point. Went back to college so got bugger all money at the moment. Will start upgrading bits and pieces when I get out and get a real job in the real world. Gonna try and do a nice paintjob on her too. Something a little different (but not sparkly or anything like that... still a flat colour)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

steveland? wrote: »
    ...a 5-string G&L I bought off feylya a while ago (I removed the scratchplate, really like "all-wood" look).

G&L? What year is it. Strange looking headstock for a G&L. I've never known them to make a straight forward Jazz either. :confused:

Joe Robot wrote: »
    G&L? What year is it. Strange looking headstock for a G&L. I've never known them to make a straight forward Jazz either. :confused:
    Not a clue, feylya would know.

Think it's a Frankenstein's guitar type of thing, says G&L on the headstock but think fey mentioned something about it being two basses stuck together or something.

Either way it's a really nice bass though.

I'll take a close up of the headstock

Edit: Here's the headstock:
    GLHeadstock.jpg

• Advertisement

Ahh I see, none of it looks like a G&L. I think someone just slapped a G&L logo on it.

Stuck a picture of the headstock into my previous post there.

Ah sure if it's not a G&L doesn't really bother me, feylya gave it to me at a really good price and it sounds cool (well, from what I could muster from the measly bass packages with my Toneport). Looks the part too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It used to be mine. It's a G&L neck alright, off an L5500, the previous owner had sanded the little lip bit off the bottom contour (and did a good job, it must be said).

Doctor J wrote: »
    It used to be mine. It's a G&L neck alright, off an L5500, the previous owner had sanded the little lip bit off the bottom contour (and did a good job, it must be said).
    Cool, what's the body from do ya know?

No idea.

• Advertisement

Ahh I see. Blasphemy! :p I like the little part sticking out, although I prefer the original G&L headstocks from the early 80's. :)

Joe Robot wrote: »
    Ahh I see. Blasphemy! :p I like the little part sticking out, although I prefer the original G&L headstocks from the early 80's. :)
    I googled the model number Doc J gave there, definitely think it looks nicer without the jutty bit on the headstock.

You're right Doc, yer man did a really good job sanding it off, I never even noticed that anything had been removed (then again I didn't think of checking, wasn't too concerned)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've never in my life even seen a 7-string in person (except at gigs obviously), let alone touched or played one. :p

Could I be any more backwards?
    I'm not going to comment on the backwards question :p. I'd never seen or played a seven string before I bought my first one. I just got fed up having to switch tunings between E, D#, C and C# so I thought I would trump them all by having a guitar that, when it's tuned normally, is automatically in B but still allows songs aimed at a six-string guitar tuned in E to be played :).

malice, don't be throwing astrophysics at me man, I just doodle around on Fenders, that's all. :p

Anyway, in keeping with the spirit of the thread, here's an old pic of the family on a day out. I have another 1.5 guitars but they're not exactly, em, photogenic at the moment.

1000007xb0.jpg

sei046, I'm watching you mofo. :p
    That tele is just pure class. How's it sound with them there pick-ups?

I've been GASing over a telecaster for a while and that just does not help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

That Tele is a real deal vintage and is pure sex - all stock :)

Doc - NO.

malice, don't be throwing astrophysics at me man, I just doodle around on Fenders, that's all. :p
    Astro-whatnow? I doodle around on Fenders also. Well, just one, but that's enough for me :).
    Ancient1 wrote:
    I have another 1.5 guitars but they're not exactly, em, photogenic at the moment.
    Am I going to be the first to ask just how you ended up with one and a half guitars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

malice_ wrote: »
    Am I going to be the first to ask just how you ended up with one and a half guitars?

2 3/4 guitars, obviously. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Well, I bought a Strat body aeons ago (sorry, deaddonkey, I really am useless) with a cunning plan to build a CAR Strat from parts. Turns out that red won't be doable (because I'm useless), so it'll be green, because I'm useless (original colour having been a weird blue). Yes, Doc, I'll send your grandchildren a postcard when I finish it. :D
    So that Strat body + random parts that I've been buying for it is 0.5

Then I also bought a beat up Ibanez RG 450LTD which I took apart to clean and to rewire / upgrade parts, but I still haven't put it back together. That's another 1, and that's how I have 1.5 guitars. ;)

2 3/4 guitars, obviously. :rolleyes:
    It's only obvious when you know the answer ;).
    Well, I bought a Strat body aeons ago (sorry, deaddonkey, I really am useless) with a cunning plan to build a CAR Strat from parts. Turns out that red won't be doable (because I'm useless), so it'll be green, because I'm useless (original colour having been a weird blue). Yes, Doc, I'll send your grandchildren a postcard when I finish it. :D
    So that Strat body + random parts that I've been buying for it is 0.5

Then I also bought a beat up Ibanez RG 450LTD which I took apart to clean and to rewire / upgrade parts, but I still haven't put it back together. That's another 1, and that's how I have 1.5 guitars. ;)
    I can barely bring myself to change the strings on my guitars. I have a fear that I'll end up breaking something or doing lots of damage without meaning to. Good luck with the rebuilding projects, you're braver than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I can barely bring myself to change the strings on my guitars. I have a fear that I'll end up breaking something or doing lots of damage without meaning to.

Ah what's the worst that can happen malice, they won't explode :p, just give it a go, loads of videos online :), the interweb is a wonderful thing.

And you Ancient1, shame on you, we demand photos. Once you post some we'll give you give you a gentle reminder by bumpin' the thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

arggg, i finally got my digital camera out and cleaned (kinda) my guitars and took pics of them. Afterwards i remember that i aint got a mem card reader on my PC and by USB card reader thing, i loaned to a mate and wont get back til monday. tis not fair.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Ah what's the worst that can happen malice, they won't explode :p, just give it a go, loads of videos online :), the interweb is a wonderful thing.
    If they did explode I would not be a happy bunny. You're right there are lots of videos online. Mostly they seem to be featured on websites with inquisitive young women who all want my credit card details :p.
    arggg, i finally got my digital camera out and cleaned (kinda) my guitars and took pics of them. Afterwards i remember that i aint got a mem car reader on my PC and by USB card reader thing, i loaned to a mate and wont get back til monday. tis not fair.
    Does your digital camera not just plug directly into your computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Does your digital camera not just plug directly into your computer?

Nah, i take the memory card out and stick it into a USB Card reader, which i aint got at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

I can barely bring myself to change the strings on my guitars. I have a fear that I'll end up breaking something or doing lots of damage without meaning to. Good luck with the rebuilding projects, you're braver than me!

Dude, my 6 year old daughter is a braver man than you :D:D

As said before, there is not much that you can break. Just go ahead and do it. There is nothing better than the clarity and fulness from a new set of strings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

My baby...
    a6c5066a64.jpg

Quattroste wrote: »
    Dude, my 6 year old daughter is a braver man than you :D:D

As said before, there is not much that you can break. Just go ahead and do it. There is nothing better than the clarity and fulness from a new set of strings!
    I should probably clarify what I meant. I do change the strings every couple of months but that's about all I do. If the intonation goes I bring it to a guitar shop and I haven't felt the need to change pick ups or anything
    You're absolutely right about the feeling and sound from a new set of strings. It's just a pity it lasts for such a short length of time. I find at most I'll get two maybe three practice sessions out of a new set before the sound clarity goes :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Here's my take on this age old debate:- Setting the action, intonation or neck relief is 100% doable by anyone with access to the few basic tools. (Even me) This is because basically they all involve turing a screw/nut and if it doesn't work and it's not right it can always be turned back. On the other hand filing frets and nuts cannot be "turned back" and need someone practiced (not me) to do them.

Here's my take on this age old debate:- Setting the action, intonation or neck relief is 100% doable by anyone with access to the few basic tools. (Even me) This is because basically they all involve turing a screw/nut and if it doesn't work and it's not right it can always be turned back. On the other hand filing frets and nuts cannot be "turned back" and need someone practiced (not me) to do them.

That's my take on it too Johnny, although I have modified nuts before. I wouldn't touch frets unless I was confident I knew wtf I was doing. Anything else I'll do, I've taken my guitars and basses apart, replaced parts, fixed electronics, refinished. I won't touch frets though. I should really learn how to do them. :)

Doing frets is pretty straightforward too, once you get to grips with the concept and have the appropriate crowning tool.

Routing, now that is something I feel uncomfortable doing :D

• Advertisement

Doing frets is pretty straightforward too, once you get to grips with the concept and have the appropriate crowning tool.

Routing, now that is something I feel uncomfortable doing :D

Oh yeah, thats another thing. I used a hammer and chisel on a strat once to make room for a humbucker. Thankfully it had a pickguard to cover up the mess. :o

Advertisement