Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2011 Cooking club Week 5: Malaysian Chicken/Beef Curry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

its green cardamom
    about 10cm of cinnamon total is plenty :)

ive noticed some of the rices here seem a little soggy. the rice needs to sit in the pot with lid on for at least 30mins after all the steam dissapates, then it should be perfect...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Started on the massaman :D

Ok so I asked the guy in the shop for palm sugar and I basically got what looks like a coconut. haha. I unwrapped it and its like a solid block of dark sweet stuff. It says Palm Honey on the packet. Presume I got the wrong stuff. Any idea if I can use the stuff I got and do I melt it in a pot or something?

Question 2:
    The massaman spices says 1 tsp of ground cumin, coriander etc. Is this 1tsp of the whole seeds then ground or 1tsp after grinding?

Question 3:
    Ground cinamon: Is this cinamon sticks toasted and ground as before? If so, is it 5cm again for the massaman recipe?

Thumbs up for the massaman! It's actually for dinner tomorrow but had a little taste and its another stunner of a curry! Took about 45 mins of simmering to thicken. I have enough paste left as well for another few curries too :)

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Started on the massaman :D

Ok so I asked the guy in the shop for palm sugar and I basically got what looks like a coconut. haha. I unwrapped it and its like a solid block of dark sweet stuff. It says Palm Honey on the packet. Presume I got the wrong stuff. Any idea if I can use the stuff I got and do I melt it in a pot or something?

Question 2:
    The massaman spices says 1 tsp of ground cumin, coriander etc. Is this 1tsp of the whole seeds then ground or 1tsp after grounding?

Question 3:
    Ground cinamon: Is this cinamon sticks toasted and ground as before? If so, is it 5cm again for the massaman recipe?

from your discription it sounds like a block of palm sugar. it can be grated or shave off pieces with a knife. taste it, if it tastes of caramely sugar rather than honeyish its palm sugar.

for the spices its 1tsp after grinding. so u can use whole spice then grind it and use 1tsp of it then or if u have preground u can alternatively use that.
    1tsp of whole spice actually yields more when ground!

for the cinnamon u can use ground if u have or as you say toast and grind your whole spice and add 1tsp of it.

i gues you probably figured this all out already :)

glad you enjoyed your taste, its a firm favorite here also!

Cheers. I'm having it for dinner today. Cant wait to try it later. First impressions were great.

Side Note: Shrimp Paste may be the most foul smelling cooking substance known to man.

Warning: Open a window when grinding toasted dried chillies. The fumes are pretty lethal and wear plastic gloves while deseeding and grinding the chillies or your hands may burn especially if you have any little nicks or cuts. I doubled up so ended up grinding down 20 toasted chillies. Not a fun experience. haha

Tip: Whizz up the paste in a blender if its a bit dry. Grinding with the pestel and mortar should release juice from the garlic and shallots to give the paste texture. I bunged the lot into a mini blender and it did the job perfect and left me with a nice paste

c36020110419212825.jpg
    c36020110419194325.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks again. Massman was fab and the rice came out really nice as well! Have some more massaman with me in work for lunch today :D

your paste looks great and your curry looks spot on. its a fair bit of work but well worth it as its a sublime wintery curry.
    shrimp paste is indeed the foulest ingredient ever :)
    give me a shout if u want any other curry recipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Curry Addict, you're a star. I finally got to make your curry, and it's delicious. I will try the Massaman soon too, looking forward already! :) If the rest of your curry recipes are this good, you need to open your own thread for your fans. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkieschick

I finally got to make this wonderful curry and it was better than any curry i could ever have hoped to make, this really was exquisite. Thanks ever so much for sharing the recipe cant wait to try the next one:D

glad you guys enjoyed it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Just spent the last half a hour toasting and grinding the spices for this - smells amazing but grinding by hand is hard work! Can't wait for dinner now :)

How did you find it Susie? I have a nice simple thai red curry in the slow cooker waiting for me after work. Been cookin for the last 6 hours :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Dear Curry Addict,

I've always been secretly afraid of a curry. The overwhelming heat, the unfamiliar spices, the eye-watering hit of a chilli; all these are alien and frightening to me. I always thought a curry was fiery, unforgiving and brash. You, my dear sir, have changed my entire perspective on such matters.

I arrived home from work slightly sodden and windswept with one thing on my mind: make this damn curry and see what all the fuss on Boards is about (really thinking that I wouldn't understand the hype at all). I wearily set about chopping vegetables and dicing lamb, completely unaware of what was to follow. Once all the ingredients were in the wok this magical aroma began dancing in my nostrils. I was suddenly alert, intrigued. But I was still scared to taste it, afraid I wouldn't enjoy it. I dipped in a spoon and took it to my mouth and I honestly nearly shouted the house down. IT WAS ****ING FANTASTIC!

I never knew a curry could be so rich in subtle and beautiful flavours, and all without burning your mouth off! Holy crap OP, this dish was stunning. Creamy and spiced and slightly sweet; I'm in awe. Not just the best thing I've ever cooked but possibly the best thing I've ever tasted in my whole life. I cannot possibly convey how much I bloody loved this. Thank you so so much for this recipe!

I should also probably add that I went around my house announcing to everyone "I'm a culinary master!" and insisting they all try some. Thank you thank you thank you!

Signed your biggest fan,
    Susie Q.

100_1366.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Jaysus Susie, after that post I'm tempted myself!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It is a superb curry, Curry Addict knows what it's about in fairness.

Great post Susie Q!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Jesus Christ Susie, I'm tempted to start defrosting meat this instant and attempting it.
    A midnight feast perhaps.
    Great post, I'm salivating as I type.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Only recently I learned that curry can come in a can. WTF?

Really want to give this recipe a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Another very positive report here.

I cheated a bit and used ground versions of some things - cinnamon, black pepper, etc as we had most of them. I was slightly worried by the smell in case I had ground the bejaysus out of it, but it was fine. Will have to make a larger batch next time, I'd say. Then came the main bit, though I didn't have lemongrass or black cardamons. Tasted great, you can really feel all the flavours coming through.

boardscurry.jpg

Will definitely be making it again. Thanks OP. :)

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Dear Curry Addict,

I've always been secretly afraid of a curry. The overwhelming heat, the unfamiliar spices, the eye-watering hit of a chilli; all these are alien and frightening to me. I always thought a curry was fiery, unforgiving and brash. You, my dear sir, have changed my entire perspective on such matters.

I arrived home from work slightly sodden and windswept with one thing on my mind: make this damn curry and see what all the fuss on Boards is about (really thinking that I wouldn't understand the hype at all). I wearily set about chopping vegetables and dicing lamb, completely unaware of what was to follow. Once all the ingredients were in the wok this magical aroma began dancing in my nostrils. I was suddenly alert, intrigued. But I was still scared to taste it, afraid I wouldn't enjoy it. I dipped in a spoon and took it to my mouth and I honestly nearly shouted the house down. IT WAS ****ING FANTASTIC!

I never knew a curry could be so rich in subtle and beautiful flavours, and all without burning your mouth off! Holy crap OP, this dish was stunning. Creamy and spiced and slightly sweet; I'm in awe. Not just the best thing I've ever cooked but possibly the best thing I've ever tasted in my whole life. I cannot possibly convey how much I bloody loved this. Thank you so so much for this recipe!

I should also probably add that I went around my house announcing to everyone "I'm a culinary master!" and insisting they all try some. Thank you thank you thank you!

Signed your biggest fan,
    Susie Q.

100_1366.jpg

Hi Susie, it was really nice to read that. it reminded me exactly of my first real curry experience in the koh-i-Noor indian resturant in phibsboro 21 years ago. I havent stopped exploring the world of curry since :pac:

when u get the balance of flavors right, there are few things better than a curry ;)

Finally got a hold of some black cardamons and fish sauce. Will I notice much of a difference with these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Finally got a hold of some black cardamons and fish sauce. Will I notice much of a difference with these?

Not so much the black cardamons, but I'd say so with the fish sauce.

both will improve the dish but more so the fish sauce as bazmo says. the black cardamom gives a balance to the spice mix, its earthy wholesome flavour against the other sweet spices.

the fish sauce will improve the overall balance of flavours in the dish which is key to asian food.

2nd time making it your techniques will be better also as ull know what to expect. enjoy!

Thanks both. Made another batch of the spice mix today (black cardamons this time), so I'll report back the next time I make this recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

This is without doubt the nicest curry i've ever eaten... absolutely fantastic, thanks for sharing the recipe Curry Addict...

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Finally have all the ingredients for this (My fish sauce appears to just be shrimp sauce though - which I'm figuring should be ok?) and really looking forward to making this tonight :D Will update this post with a picture! :D

photo-1.jpg

F**king NOM. Creamy and slightly sweet with a fantastic richness from the spices and a little warmth from the chilli :D

Did manage to get fish sauce, and will be using half amount/just salt next time as it was the only thing I couldn't get over in the flavour - it just got more overpowering as the dish went on (I hate fish), and it ALMOST ruined it for me.

Jean wrote: »
    Finally have all the ingredients for this (My fish sauce appears to just be shrimp sauce though - which I'm figuring should be ok?) and really looking forward to making this tonight :D Will update this post with a picture! :D

leave out the shrip sauce it is very different to fish sauce. use salt instead and you will be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

How much salt?!
    Very annoying >.< It says fish sauce on the label, and when you check the ingredients, it says shrimp - that'll teach me to not read labels!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd guess a 1/2 teaspoon but season to taste.

Jean wrote: »

F**king NOM. Creamy and slightly sweet with a fantastic richness from the spices and a little warmth from the chilli :D

Did manage to get fish sauce, and will be using half amount/just salt next time as it was the only thing I couldn't get over in the flavour - it just got more overpowering as the dish went on (I hate fish), and it ALMOST ruined it for me.

it sounds like your fish sauce was off. It shouldnt be a dominant flavour.
    when its past the best before date or gone off it becomes much stronger and quite vile like you are describing.

if u want to use salt instead, do as Mr Magnolia says and start with a 1/2tsp and season to taste.

maybe im wrong but your curry looks a little watery(soupy). you probably need to wack up the heat and boil it down agressively to get the correct consistency and texture(creamy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I am so excited about trying this. I have strips of beef short ribs so I'm going to sear the bejaysis out of them first and then let the meat simmer in the curry for a few hours to make them unctuous and tender.

Curry Addict, is it ok to make double of this and just re-heat the next evening? Or will it ruin the flavours?

Advertisement