Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Yesterday, 20:55   #976
ABajaninCork

Yeah - I've got the art of winding wool down pat! Instead of prevailing on my poor long-suffering hubby to hold the wool whilst I wind, I now sling the skein over two kitchen chair backs and work away...

I got a skein of Fyberspates lace weight wool a few weeks ago, in the sale. That skein is 1km long! And took me almost 1.5 hours to wind the wretched thing. Just as well I got only the one skein!!
Advertisement
Yesterday, 22:49   #977
cofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpdd3 View Post
I just finished my last project on Saturday. idle hands. !

I have a few sewing things on the go though

thinking about a knitted summer dress with a crocheted bodice.

need to find a cotton mix 4 ply that's not to expensive. best so for is 3.50 for 100g.
The dress sounds fab. I would love to see a pic when you finish it please.
Today, 09:14   #978
Gatica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABajaninCork View Post
Wool is supplied in skeins when the yarn is either very light or something like silk/linen.
Many places use the word skein to describe a unit of yarn being sold whether a ball or twisted hank. I wouldn't rely on the term for defining the quantity being sold or the form in comes in. You're better off looking up by manufacturer.
Today, 09:18   #979
wmpdd3

I really have to get back to taking pics of the stuff I make. it's so annoying when you go to make something again and you can't remember how you did it.

all I ask when I make garments for people it's a pic of the wearing in, but most forget.....
Today, 09:35   #980
ABajaninCork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatica View Post
Many places use the word skein to describe a unit of yarn being sold whether a ball or twisted hank. I wouldn't rely on the term for defining the quantity being sold or the form in comes in. You're better off looking up by manufacturer.
I don't rely on that, and look at the meterage of the wool instead to work out what I need. When the wool turns up, I can then either use straight away if it's a ball, or have to wind the hanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpdd3 View Post
I really have to get back to taking pics of the stuff I make. it's so annoying when you go to make something again and you can't remember how you did it.

all I ask when I make garments for people it's a pic of the wearing in, but most forget.....
I don't take pictures of the pieces I make for myself. But I do if I'm making for others. Just as well, really. I made a baby blanket for my nephew and had his name & DoB embroidered on a patch which I then sewed on the blanket. It got lost in the post! But I did take a picture before sending.
Advertisement
Today, 10:32   #981
Gatica

Quote:
I made a baby blanket for my nephew and had his name & DoB embroidered on a patch which I then sewed on the blanket. It got lost in the post! But I did take a picture before sending.
oh, how awful! of all things to lose by post, it'll always be something irreplaceable... Did it take you long to make it?
My SIL was making a baby blanket before their first child over 2 years ago, she's only got around to doing the border now as they're expecting their second. I suppose they had heir hands full the rest of the time.
Today, 10:40   #982
ABajaninCork

No, fortunately it was a fluffy blanket which was only stocking st in Aran weight. But it was a real nuisance! He has another blanket I made and brought over to London before he was born, so he has something from his auntie!
Thanks from:
Today, 13:27   #983
iguana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatica View Post
Here's what I found about the yarn:
http://www.royalyarns.com/Caron-Natu...rn_c_5310.html

Looks like they use the less-standard 85g... So you're better off going with yardage metrics for your needs.
So for small size you'd need 4*251 = 1004 yards. If you find an equivalent weight yarn, just get enough to give you that yardage and air on the "more" side, so you don't run out.

PS:
Similar yarn here, http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spa-shawl-top, they're saying it's sports weight 5ply.
Quote:
I reckon either lace or 4ply would be the weight.

Wool is supplied in skeins when the yarn is either very light or something like silk/linen. You'll have to wind it into balls before you work with it. Otherwise, you'll be in for a world of pain with tangles!
Thanks a million! As it happens I have a 1kg skein of 4ply wool that my dad got for €5 in a charity shop last year that I think would work well for this top. I have a lot of crochet practice to do first though as the top is very ambitious for my crochet skills. It's nice to have a project though. I hurt my elbow a few months back and knitting makes it feel worse but it's ok with crochet.
Today, 13:29   #984
Gatica

I think your pattern gives a gauge, so as long as you can make a sample using chosen yarn and a hook you should be able to measure it across... if it's too small, use a bigger hook and vice versa...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion