Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny..Ireland's greatest ever Taoiseach?? Discuss

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

batman88 wrote: »
    People on welfare complaining about their welfare cut yet still have money on the lash, unemployed families getting tons of social welfare and a house. Only people that are really suffering is the people who have a huge mortgage and lost there job. There I'd nothing that can be done about that. People been far too greedy taking out huge loans instead of getting a smaller property.

Well done Mr. Kenny on saving Ireland and making the cuts that had to be made. If Biffo was still in charge during the recession Ireland would be bankrupt. Some people are too thick to see he is doing a great job. These people want their welfare doubled.

can anybody be this stupid

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Enda loves to turn up at any company who are announcing job creation, he turned up at my old company with bodyguards in tow and swanned about the place like he owned it all fake smiles and handshakes i felt like throwing a cup of coffee over him, funnily enough he never really comments on the amount of job losses, which unfortunately exceeds the amount of jobs being created.

Sad news for these people today just before xmas.

http://www.thejournal.ie/job-losses-lufthansa-technik-rathcoole-1233602-Dec2013/

there has been about ten different announcements over the last six months about the same jobs, none of which have actuaily happened yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

there has been about ten different announcements over the last six months about the same jobs, none of which have actuaily happened yet

There have been loads of new jobs created in the economy.

road_high wrote: »
    And to me that is far far more important than his "personality" or debating ability. Couldn't give a damn personally that he's not whoring himself 24/7 on RTE Soccer shows or jumping out of cupboards for the Sunday World (?) in the name of having a "great personality" and being liked- all in the name of creating a fake "ordinary man" vaneer while you're corrupt as fcuk and let the country slide down the toilet.

enda Kenny had absolutely nothing to do with getting the country to where it is now. he was implementing f.f policies under the supervision of the troika. any policies which where unpopular he gave f.f the blame for if their was any popular ones he claimed them.
    he doesn't debate because he is stupid and knows nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

irishfeen wrote: »
    From a previous thread -

1. unemployment is down - No it isn't
    2. jobs are being created - on a day to day basis, more are being lost
    3. we are ranked the best country to do business in the world - and why wouldn't we be?.. in a nation that tends to treat regulation as a folly, and where working stiffs are good for little else than massaging stats?
    4. he officially apologized to the survivors of the Magdalene laundries - the next week attending an audience with the Pope, and then extending 'the nations' prayers when he passed :rolleyes:
    5. they pardoned the WW2 veterans - this affects virtually nobody
    6. legislated for the X case - nope
    7. restored our international reputation - restored it to what point, exactly? The one that FF originally obtained..? The one that has being shown to be nothing more than a bubble ideal and boondoggle?
    8. will take the country out of the bailout without the need for an overdraft ..... etc - etc indeed
    9. They have almost done more in their couple of years in power then FF did in 14 - hopefully they'll slow down, then.
    10. people are not stupid - indeed they are, and they deserve what they get too. I wouldn't jump aboard a ship while drowning rats are flooding towards it. And those rats form a majority...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

enda Kenny had absolutely nothing to do with getting the country to where it is now. he was implementing f.f policies under the supervision of the troika. any policies which where unpopular he gave f.f the blame for if their was any popular ones he claimed them.
    he doesn't debate because he is stupid and knows nothing

You make it sound like FF destroying the Irish economy and us being FORCED to bring in/follow the IMF programme is somehow a good FF Policy...the puzzling thing for me then is when you call other people "stupid" :confused:
    Slight double standards there, no doubt FF inspired too.

Phoebas wrote: »
    There have been loads of new jobs created in the economy.

only if you are talking about scambridge and useless courses that people on the dole are being forced onto, to manipulate the figures to make it appear that more people are employed and less people are on the dole.
    If you listen to the news there are loads of jobs being lost with closures. these are real.
    then you have job announcements of 1000 new jobs. 10 of which will happen some time next year with the other 990 rolling out over the next 50 years. really.

You make it sound like FF destroying the Irish economy and us being FORCED to bring in/follow the IMF programme is somehow a good FF Policy...the puzzling thing for me then is when you call other people "stupid" :confused:
    Slight double standards there, no doubt FF inspired too.

mr bright spark.
    can you tell me where I said any f.f or f.g policy was good.
    good luck with that.

only if you are talking about scambridge and useless courses that people on the dole are being forced onto, to manipulate the figures to make it appear that more people are employed and less people are on the dole.
    If you listen to the news there are loads of jobs being lost with closures. these are real.
    then you have job announcements of 1000 new jobs. 10 of which will happen some time next year with the other 990 rolling out over the next 50 years. really.

I'm not talking about announcements. There have been many more actual jobs created than lost, even discounting Jobsbridge internships.
    Unless you think the CSO are lying.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I'm not talking about announcements. There have been many more actual jobs created than lost, even discounting Jobsbridge internships.
    Unless you think the CSO are lying.

these include people on fas courses etc as being employed. call it lying or manipulating the figure what ever you like

• Advertisement

these include people on fas courses etc as being employed. call it lying or manipulating the figure what ever you like

The metrics they use haven't changed and nor have the numbers of people on fas courses etc as far as I'm aware.
    There has been employment growth - that's a simple fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

His party and Labour's constant attack on the poor and those on social welfare are really wonderful things to behold alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Irish people are stupid, they'll probably vote FF in next term, a vicious merry go round and nothing changes insteaf of giving someone like United Left Alliance a chance, they might not have all the answers but they could not possibly any worse than the last lot or this current lot.

Holy Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

denlaw wrote: »
    His party and Labour's constant attack on the poor and those on social welfare are really wonderful things to behold alright...

No there's no "attack" or conspiracy. It's simply getting the budget into line with what we can actually afford as a nation rather than continuing the FF policy of spending 'til you bankrupt the nation.
    Social welfare comes from the tax take. As the tax-take fell then there's less to spend on welfare and thus it must be reduced. I don't know why people find this concept so hard to grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jellyhead

Which pub in Castlebar did this conversation take place in? or was it in the early hours in the Dail subsidised bar? The "man" (coward) makes my skin crawl...Liam Neeson? yeah we've all been Taken...

No there's no "attack" or conspiracy. It's simply getting the budget into line with what we can actually afford as a nation rather than continuing the FF policy of spending 'til you bankrupt the nation.
    Social welfare comes from the tax take. As the tax-take fell then there's less to spend on welfare and thus it must be reduced. I don't know why people find this concept so hard to grasp.

Some people, for some strange unknown reason, just refuse to see the economic reasons for the cuts.

if this government and your leader your so proud of went after the tax cheats instead of the constant attack on the poor and those on social welfare (social welfare fraud is only a drop in the ocean compared to tax evasion) Ireland would be a much better off country, instead Enda and co choose to let their friends in the golden circle off the hook...doing his country proud alright...i don't know why people find this concept so hard to grasp....

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Some people, for some strange unknown reason, just refuse to see the economic reasons for the cuts.
    yes indeed, imagine though if the cuts affected the rich and well healed.....jesus...what am i saying, this is Enda Kenny, leader of the Irish tory party....that will NEVER HAPPEN....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

This debate started in the boozer after several pints & numerous shots of whiskey.

Twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Motivator wrote: »
    Twat.

Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

You reckon eh, you try telling that to people who have lost their jobs, homes and people forced to emigrate because there is no work here, some people may think it's good but these are the people who weren't really affected by the recession in general.

"We have real problems" he says, while having a moan about it online and possibly wth a smartphone. Perspective my man, that's all that is required here. Compared to a country with real problems, we have few. Even compared to Greece we have few problems. People have lost their jobs, but there is a social safety net. It's not easy by any means, and I'm not trying to imply that it is - but expecting a magic wand to be waved and the country to just go back to pre-crash full employment land is silly and naieve.

If there was an easy solution, it would have been done and quickly. Why? Because any Government that could do this painlessly would be re-elected from now until the end of recorded time. It always amazes me how many people think there is some magical, easy, instant solution that the Government are just choosing not to do out of the spirit of being mean cnuts... :rolleyes:

It's not really how this stuff works.
    You cant compare Ireland to a country where there is war and famine right now, although we've had our fair share of that in the past.

Oh but I did - simply to point out that they have real problems. That's not to say everything is brilliant or even running smoothly here, but that beyond the moaning of the usual doom and gloom merchants on sites like these, on the balance of things we still live in a first world country and have it pretty good.
    I actually despair for some people in this country, this country needs to be like Greece where the masses converged on the streets, people here love a good moan but nothing is ever actually done.

Converge on the streets and do what? Riot for the craic? Ruck with the gardai? Would that mean we wouldn't have to pay our mortgages anymore?

No we most certaintly do notwant to get like Greece. Greece has been on the brink of a civil war. They are inifinately more fcuked than we are. To compare the Irish situation to that of Greece is simply to not understand the greek situation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

And so it begins - from RTÉ - http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1221/494277-sunday-times-poll/
    Sunday Times poll boost for Coalition and Enda Kenny despite 59% Government dissatisfaction rating

A Sunday Times opinion poll suggests an increase in support for the Government and a fall for Sinn Féin with Fianna Fáil unchanged.
    Satisfaction with the Coalition rose 11 percentage points to 35% compared to the newspaper's last poll in September and is the highest rating for the Government in the newspaper's polls in over two years.
    The poll indicates dissatisfaction with the Government at 59%.
    Excluding undecided voters, Fine Gael is at 30% (up five percentage points).
    Fianna Fail with 21% and Labour on 11% are unchanged while Sinn Féin on 15% is down three percentage points.
    Independents and others are at 24% - a drop of two percentage points - while the Green Party is on 3% .

This Sunday Times/Behaviour & Attitudes poll was carried out from 3-15 December in the lead up up to the bailout exit with a sample of 934 eligible voters.

The period also followed a difficult time for Sinn Féin which included fallout from the Smithwick Tribunal.

Of the party leaders, Enda Kenny at 44% is up 10 percentage points on the previous poll.
    Micheál Martin at 43% and Eamon Gilmore at 32% are each up six percentage points on last time.

Gerry Adams at 33% is down eight points - the lowest satisfaction level for the Sinn Fén leader in the Sunday Times 'Behaviour and Attitudes' Poll since the General Election in February 2011.

Unless something major happens between now and the next election (I think anything but will happen and small popular policies will be rolled out) I think Fine Gael/Enda Kenny will get or go mightily close to an overall majority for the first time in Irish politics - it it did happen it would be some achievement for Kenny.

yes indeed, imagine though if the cuts affected the rich and well healed.....jesus....

They did. It's just that, yknow, they are rich. What do you expect? Rich people to suddenly be on the bread line? Do you want them to lose their entire wealth because we are in the midst of an economic crisis?

Jesus wept.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    They did. It's just that, yknow, they are rich. What do you expect? Rich people to suddenly be on the bread line? Do you want them to lose their entire wealth because we are in the midst of an economic crisis?

Jesus wept.
    Austerity has only been inflicted on the poor in this country, no supertax has been imposed on the rich who have seen their wealth actually increase, in fact the last Irish budget increased taxes by 1.3% on those earning €20,000 — seven times more than the 0.2% tax increase on those with €100,000 a year while those on €200,000 paid a mere 0.1% more.
    Your obviously a paid up member of the irish tory party whose devotion to the elite is nauseating...if your going to come on here looking down your tory nose at the plebs at least have some facts and figures to back up your flawed argument...

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

Interesting topic OP. Is Enda our greatest leader? No - because I am going to reserve judgement until after his tenure ends. He also is under a lot of pressure at the moment with making cuts and adhering to Troika demands etc.

Is he doing a great job? Yes, he actually is. The recession and economic slowdown hit me and my family hard and things are not all rosy but he has actually been doing a great job. Fair play Enda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

This debate started in the boozer after several pints & numerous shots of whiskey. We came to the conclusion that the current Taoiseach Enda Kenny may well be the greatest head of Government Ireland has ever had.. Let me tell you how we reached this conclusion

Enda- He looks the part, there is a bit of a Liam Neeson about him,You could picture him ringing someone like Michael Martin & saying "I will find you and I will kill you". Infact if Spielberg is ever making a movie on how Kenny rescued Ireland from Troika, Liam can play the part. Apart from that
    He gets sh!t done!! Were out of the bailout, unemployment is on its way down, tourism is up, construction sector growing, economy is roaring again with plenty of growth predicted, exports are up, more multinational companies like Twitter & Facebook setting up & expanding..all since Enda arrived in office, thanks Enda!

Brian Cowen- with a head like that surely he should have never been head of Government, looks a bit like Peter Griffin & if your nickname is BIFFO then you cant even be considered as the best Taoiseach ever. Also he was in charge when we went bust, lost our sovereignty, mass unemployment & mass emigration became a way of life for the Irish. Call me a Negative Nelly but if Biffo was still running the show we would be screwed

Bertie Ahern- the fact some people i know spelt his name Birthday Ahern poses an immediate problem. We actually like Bertie though, sound lad who likes his footie & a pint, we did originally get him mixed up with Dustin The Turkey but hes cool in our book. But with the Mahon Report & accusations of corruption his legacy is tainted. Also no Taoiseach former or current shouldnt be junping out of wardrobes for newspaper adverts. We did have good times, Celtic Tiger etc but the decisons he & Fianna Fail made whils in power contributed to us going bust.

We did discuss John Bruton but we just mainly tried to see how many jokes of his name we could make like John Brutal, John Who, Long Mutan..wasnt very funny but went on for about 5 mins..we didnt make a joke of Bert Reynolds considering the man is currently unwell so we agreed he was a top man & wished him the best, think we actually raised a glass for him too.By the time we got to Charles Haughey we were a drunken mess so i cant think of what was said about him, cant imagine it being good though

Anyway, Enda Kenny Taoiseach ever! Discuss
    This debate should have ended in the boozer too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Austerity has only been inflicted on the poor in this country, no supertax has been imposed on the rich who have seen their wealth actually increase, in fact the last Irish budget increased taxes by 1.3% on those earning €20,000 — seven times more than the 0.2% tax increase on those with €100,000 a year while those on €200,000 paid a mere 0.1% more.
    Your obviously a paid up member of the irish tory party whose devotion to the elite is nauseating...if your going to come on here looking down your tory nose at the plebs at least have some facts and figures to back up your flawed argument...
    Those earning €20,000 were paying virtually no tax. That had to stop. Those earning €100,000 are paying virtually 50% on earnings over €40,000. Our tax system was overly progressive and left too many people out of the tax net. The 1.3% increase on €20,000 earners cost them €5 a week, less than half of the reductions in the unemployment benefit.

On a separate point, I never understand why Kenny gets such stick for avoiding debates. Debating is for secondary school students and preppy college societies filled with arts students with too much time on their hands. Government requires decisiveness, not the ability to come up with a quick answer on the spot with the media glaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

tobsey wrote: »
    On a separate point, I never understand why Kenny gets such stick for avoiding debates. .

Because it would be nice to think the leader of the country is not a political puppet, that he believes in the policies he advocates and is able to demonstrate this in an intelligent way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Markx wrote: »
    Because it would be nice to think the leader of the country is not a political puppet, that he believes in the policies he advocates and is able to demonstrate this in an intelligent way.
    But why does that have to be in a debate? We saw with the Twitter scandal during the presidential election that people can be caught unaware in a debate scenario, and completely fall to pieces despite the lack of verification of the point made against them. Martin is much stronger in that scenario than Kenny and that's why he's always tried to get Kenny to debate publicly. Martin could probably wrap Kenny around his finger and score cheap political points but that does not mean he would be a better leader of the government.

Kenny should be judged by his policies and results, not his quick responses in front of a microphone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

Doesn't have to be a debate...an interview of some sort perhaps. The idea that he cannot be questioned is ridiculous.
    tobsey wrote: »
    Kenny should be judged by his policies and results, not his quick responses in front of a microphone

He was judged on one of his policies, the Seanad abolition. He messed that up spectacularly. What are Kenny's policies??? Are they the things he spoke about doing pre-election.....

To attribute the economic upturn to anything he has specifically done doesn't add up for me. Ireland cannot unilaterally determine the performance of it's economy.
    What decisions has he made that were not imposed on him in that respect?

Advertisement