Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

listermint wrote: »
    Keep us updated!, very interested in this.

The guide I followed included a 4.2.2 RUU. Once I booted up, all my apps downloaded and then I got an update to Google Play Services & also the 4.3.0 update at same time. No issues with downloading or updating.

I'll post back again when 4.4 is released for this phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dulpit wrote: »
    The guide I followed included a 4.2.2 RUU. Once I booted up, all my apps downloaded and then I got an update to Google Play Services & also the 4.3.0 update at same time. No issues with downloading or updating.

Cool let us know if you experience any glitches on performance issues or otherwise with 4.3

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I am going to install ARHD Google Edition when 4.4 comes along but the one thing that kept bringing me back to Sense roms on all my previous HTC has been the quality of headphone audio and volume.

Since you installed the GE have you noticed a change in headphone audio?

Thanks

nedd wrote: »
    I am going to install ARHD Google Edition when 4.4 comes along but the one thing that kept bringing me back to Sense roms on all my previous HTC has been the quality of headphone audio and volume.

Since you installed the GE have you noticed a change in headphone audio?

Thanks

I walked to work this morning, listened to podcasts for about 35/40 minutes. Sounded fine, but I don't know how loud I had it. I'll check with music/etc at lunchtime.

The thing is that the Google Edition keeps the beats/etc from HTC, HTC still control the kernel underneath Android, so there shouldn't be an issue. I can't comment on other ROMS though.

I'll report back on audio in half an hour or so, nipping out for a bite to eat now...

I walked to work this morning, listened to podcasts for about 35/40 minutes. Sounded fine, but I don't know how loud I had it. I'll check with music/etc at lunchtime.

The thing is that the Google Edition keeps the beats/etc from HTC, HTC still control the kernel underneath Android, so there shouldn't be an issue. I can't comment on other ROMS though.

I'll report back on audio in half an hour or so, nipping out for a bite to eat now...

Cheers,

I suppose I could just install the GE rom and give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

My One still says it is up to date on 4.2.2.. What's up with that?

Cheers,

I suppose I could just install the GE rom and give it a go.

It's a bit more involved than the usual ROM installation, mainly because I had to change my CID/MID.

On the volume front, it seems to be to be louder than normal actually, music was quite boomy and nice...

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    My One still says it is up to date on 4.2.2.. What's up with that?

what network ?

It's a bit more involved than the usual ROM installation, mainly because I had to change my CID/MID.

On the volume front, it seems to be to be louder than normal actually, music was quite boomy and nice...

That's if you want to official GE version. ARHD will take that version, make a few tweaks and then I can install it as custom ROM. It should have the exact same performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

That's if you want to official GE version. ARHD will take that version, make a few tweaks and then I can install it as custom ROM. It should have the exact same performance.

ARHD will do me too. When I start seeing code I start getting afraid! Hope its soon! I'm probably most excited for emojis I won't lie! Swiftkey better get them! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Have got my update to 4.3 from three just there. Also grabbed a few of these features that I want from KitKat http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/11/how-to-get-the-best-features-of-android-kitkat-now/ and the google swype style keyboard http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/11/get-android-kitkats-keyboard-on-your-current-jelly-bean-phone/

Just download them from the link on your phone and install

pedatron wrote: »
    ARHD will do me too. When I start seeing code I start getting afraid! Hope its soon! I'm probably most excited for emojis I won't lie! Swiftkey better get them! :rolleyes:

I've had poor experiences with Android Revolution tbh (on my Sensation), happier with a more stock-based setup for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭linfield

has anyone heard of their phone burning out while charging??

I charged the phone last night and could smell burning and it was the phone... don't know what caused it but the charger is now broken and the phone still smells of burn n barely charges.

Would this be covered under warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

I've had poor experiences with Android Revolution tbh (on my Sensation), happier with a more stock-based setup for now.

I was the very same as yourself. Awful first experience with ARHD and moved to viper. Recently moved back to a new sense based version and have to say its so much better! I must have been unlucky!

The only reason I'm staying on a sense based rom is the FB contact integration and ease of use of the dialer. I know haxsync works too but I just love the sense quick dial facility! Any third party dialer apps available as I'd love to just go vanilla android otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

linfield wrote: »

I charged the phone last night and could smell burning and it was the phone... don't know what caused it but the charger is now broken and the phone still smells of burn n barely charges.

Send it right back immediately and don't attempt to charge it again. Seriously that's just asking for trouble.

• Advertisement

pedatron wrote: »
    I was the very same as yourself. Awful first experience with ARHD and moved to viper. Recently moved back to a new sense based version and have to say its so much better! I must have been unlucky!

The only reason I'm staying on a sense based rom is the FB contact integration and ease of use of the dialer. I know haxsync works too but I just love the sense quick dial facility! Any third party dialer apps available as I'd love to just go vanilla android otherwise.

I tried Contacts+ for a while, an advanced dialer / sms app. It was nice but I got rid of it in the end. You could try that.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.contapps.android

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭linfield

Send it right back immediately and don't attempt to charge it again. Seriously that's just asking for trouble.

That's the plan. Quick look online shows it isn't a once off either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Jesus but the NFC icon is ugly. What were they thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭ffocused

My One is getting very hot when connected to car kit via bluetooth since 4.3 update. Anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doney84

Anybody know when Vodafone are planning to roll out 4.3?

• Advertisement

what network ?
    Sim free, moved to 48 from O2 last week..
    Still says my phone is up to date yet I'm on android 4.2.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

When I lock mine, it's still possible to change the phone from silent to non silent using the volume buttons.

Is it possible to stop this happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Anybody else notice their battery not lasting as long or the phone becoming unresponsive? I've had to restart mine a couple of times now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Anybody else notice their battery not lasting as long or the phone becoming unresponsive? I've had to restart mine a couple of times now.

Yeah i noticed yesterday that the battery wasn't lasting as long as it usually would i had it at 100% at the start of work and it was below 30% 8 hours later and that was just with normal use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just updated so ill see how it goes.

My battery seems a little better and the phone generally seems a bit more responsive, but both could easily be my imagination. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Early days yet, but has anyone noticed worse battery life on 4.3 update? I'm on 3, update was completed around 8:30 this evening and in just over 2 hours it has dropped 40%.

Yeah i noticed yesterday that the battery wasn't lasting as long as it usually would i had it at 100% at the start of work and it was below 30% 8 hours later and that was just with normal use.

Was this after the 4.3 update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Early days yet, but has anyone noticed worse battery life on 4.3 update? I'm on 3, update was completed around 8:30 this evening and in just over 2 hours it has dropped 40%.

Something up there. I updated on Wednesday and haven't noticed either in a positive or negative way!

petes wrote: »
    Something up there. I updated on Wednesday and haven't noticed either in a positive or negative way!

As I said, early days. I'll keep an eye on it. It could have been just down to me playing around with it a bit more than normal.

The phone was fully charged at 2am this morning, so I took it off charge. It had wifi, data, bluetooth, location all turned off, with just the gsm radio still on. By 7am it had gone down to 95% with zero interaction from me in the meantime. In the past, I have found in most cases like this that it is still at 100% after 4 hours of inaction.

Definitely something unusual going on in the background....

• Advertisement

Sim free, moved to 48 from O2 last week..
    Still says my phone is up to date yet I'm on android 4.2.2

Is it stock or does it have a ROM on it ? did you buy it second hand ?

Should be updated by now. Try a friends sim in it from a different network to see if that stimulates and update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

No sign of any update from Vodafone and Vodafone reps seem to be clueless as to when it will be rolled out. Considering rooting to update it myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I've an unlocked One but with Vodafone branding and the .161 software version so I'm stuck waiting even though i'm on Meteor. Its incredibly frustrating that all of the other carriers have released the update and Vodafone and their reps are clueless. They really are going downhill rapidly, between getting in trouble for not having adequate 3G coverage in the UK, ridiculous prices and now this rubbish. The fact that nobody knows whats happening is even more annoying.

Very tempted to root and try out the GE Rom to see how it is.

Couple of things annoying about the sense 5.5 update......

I like that when you hide apps from the drawer, they still show up on home screens (I think I'm right in saying that previously the apps had to be shown in the drawer if you wanted a shortcut). So all my "Duplicates" folders have been gotten rid of.

But..... In car mode, you can't add apps like before. As far as I can see, you can only add an app to the car mode short cuts if it's shown in the app drawer.

Can someone else double check this please? If I'm interpreting this right, they've made a big improvement on the one hand and cancelled it out on the other.

I like the scrolling lock screen and the way you can re order the short cuts in the pull down settings menu.

Can't add a hidden app to car mode, but I can hide it after I've added it to car mode. Not sure it'll persist through a reboot though.

rovoagho wrote: »
    Can't add a hidden app to car mode, but I can hide it after I've added it to car mode. Not sure it'll persist through a reboot though.

Tried that, but when I hide it after adding it, it disappears fron car mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Dont know what network you're with but this person sent it into three and was over 2 weeks getting it back

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057023820/2

Try and organise it through your provider. That's my advice, based on expirence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

linfield wrote: »

Eh, yeah. I would hope so. Is your socket working?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Just updated mine, Factory unlocked but using on the Vodafone network, small tweaks but nothing major, we'll wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just got the update on o2 ok so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Has anyone noticed that when they receive a call, contact pictures arent displaying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

Anyone reckon the price of the One will drop any time soon? It's still €599 on 3 from Carphone Warehouse which just seems insane for a phone that's nearly a year old.

I was waiting on the N5 reviews and now they're coming and it seems pretty forgettable, the One is definitely more appealing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone reckon the price of the One will drop any time soon? It's still €599 on 3 from Carphone Warehouse which just seems insane for a phone that's nearly a year old.

I was waiting on the N5 reviews and now they're coming and it seems pretty forgettable, the One is definitely more appealing to me.

You could get a second hand one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's only out about 6-7 months now, and for a 32GB it's a very good price. Only €10 more than the 16GB S4 and €80 less than the 16GB iPhone 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It should drop. The One is great phone, but 599 today? Not sure if it is fair price. Look around (online/stores etc), or as someone else mentioned the "used" ones on Adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Dont really agree, still the best phone money can buy and still cheaper than an iPhone if your buying new from a store.

Having said that they are going for < €400 brand new on Adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

beno619 wrote: »
    Dont really agree, still the best phone money can buy and still cheaper than an iPhone if your buying new from a store.

Having said that they are going for < €400 brand new on Adverts.

The ones on Adverts were bought as upgrades, so the person is making a couple of hundred straight up cash from the sale.

Worth going for really, the odds of it being a scam are slim with a HTC One compared to Samsung S4 or iPhone 5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Is it stock or does it have a ROM on it ? did you buy it second hand ?

Should be updated by now. Try a friends sim in it from a different network to see if that stimulates and update.

No its new, sim free, it boots up in vodafone but any sim will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

No its new, sim free, it boots up in vodafone but any sim will work.

Mine is the same as this. Bought new from a shop in Dublin, still had plastic wrapping on it. Its got a Vodafone "Discover" app on it but I don't think it works. Still no update for me either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement