Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wind farm policy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ted1 wrote: »
    Communities need energy, how much and when they need it is the issue.

most Communities loads can be reduced greatly by simply replacing obsolete energy intensive consumers.

replace all public and private lighting with low energy lighting, install CHP's plants in all leisure centres, buildings etc (where there is a requirement for heat and electricity possibly look at trigeneration)

where social housing and in deed private housing, look at using district heating systems.

apportion spare land to providing space for growing bio mass material.

Subsidize or introduce PAYS so as all in efficient appliances and boilers etc are replaced.

now that the demand is greatly reduced the Communities need to look at their requirement and how to achieve this, a turbine that blows at night in winter is not much good to them during July and August, a more reliable method need to be sourced, a mix of Wind, PV, Hydro, biomass, waste recovery all need to be looked at.

Communities putting all their eggs in the wind basket will not solve any issue.

Very good points

Part of the issue though - is that for a Rural community - they will be producing energy for other areas such as Dublin.

So a Nationwide audit of power requirements would be needed.

Your point on communities not putting all their eggs in the Wind basket - is a very good one - and I think is applicable to the WHOLE country.

What can be done in terms of Biogas is debatable - but it does merit consideration I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

One of the concerns I have with Wind Farm policy - is that to me - its like the way wind farms are planned - looks at communities as just been a place to put the wind turbines.

This in my view - is something to try and avoid - we need to look at communities as places of COMMUNITY - where people live and work - and do the best that can be done to reflect this in the planning.

The other big issue - is how do we calculate a setback between homes and the turbines - that allows safe comfortable/pleasant living for residents in these homes.

You've got Westmeath County Councillors voting in a setback of 10 times the height of the Turbine - but Jan O Sullivan is sticking firmly to the 500 metre setback.

Both can't be right - so it comes down to what is good planning - and how do we calculate a setback distance that works well for residents.

Advertisement