Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mc Donalds And Baby Changing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

guppy wrote: »
    Well, its late, I'm tipsy and I'm going to assume that's sarcasm. If not, please pm me for full disclosure of my name, address and bank account number.....

No there actually was no sarcasm so can I pm you for those details now? :)

I was more or less asking why you don't see it as discrimination?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

So it's just about petty points scoring with you then, yeah? You're in good company in this thread.

On what planet is the situation described by the OP not gender based discrimination? Legal or otherwise aside.
    • If you have a penis, then go away. Your baby can stay in it's shitty nappy or do it on your lap in a cubicle, clean or not.
    • If you have a vagina, you can change your baby in our ample baby changing facilities, cmon on in, shine your shoes while you wait?

Them's the rules.

Your prior hardships where zero baby changing facilities were not provided to anyone have absolutely no baring on this situation, but yet you want to use that hardship to score points against 'men' who want to change their babies in the same facilities provided to you, a female. WTF is that about? Do you hate men?

And how is it fair to the babies??
    • Oh this baby is with mum, you get changed straight away.
    • Oh this baby is with dad, well you stay in your shit filled nappy and cry your heart out baby, tough ****ing luck. Sure that's what you get for spending time with dad. Maybe he'll change you on his lap in the piss ridden cubicle, sure it's all you deserve for spending time with dad, silly baby.

If I had a baby and the mother of our baby felt the way you do, I'd be thinking, fuck, made the wrong choice there.

Wow, yeah, that's exactly what I meant. It's all a plot to make sure men DON'T take the kids out alone, cos us wimmin want to do it all alone and then just bitch about doing it all alone!

My point being not all places have caught up, deal with it (male or female) and adapt. Not hard, I would have thought.

*again, I'm tipsy, sarcasm may be passing me by..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

OP - shame you didn't go back out to the counter and hold the baby up and say extremely loudly "This is my baby that needs changing. Because of McDonalds laws and one stupid member of staff, I cannot change my child". Probably quite a few of the customers queuing up would have left, and if you kept ranting the manager would have been called.

Have to say that the treatment you received was disgraceful. I really hoped that you complained to the manager or to their head office. Anyway, I take it you won't be eating there anymore - wouldn't blame you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Wow, yeah, that's exactly what I meant. It's all a plot to make sure men DON'T take the kids out alone, cos us wimmin want to do it all alone and then just bitch about doing it all alone!

My point being not all places have caught up, deal with it (male or female) and adapt. Not hard, I would have thought.

I reckon you're polluted drunk tbh.

I don't know why any person would think that was fair on babies, even if you obviously do hate men and are happy to make it a pathetic point scoring exercise.

You haven't a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just to get past the gender war thing, it isn't that hard for McDonalds to put in a baby changing facility in a toilet, wouldn't cost much in their their general World domination scheme of things.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

If my partner was treated in that manner while needing to change our sons nappy I'd be fuming. Gender discrimination has to stop. A man in a playground or swimming pool area can't take photos of his kids playing for fear that someone elses kids getting into the picture. Why can't they put their own kids on a proper surface to change their nappies when they're out. Plenty of dad bashing goes on but admiralofthefleet I commend you for your actions. A lap or cubicle isn't a proper place to change a child either as they can wriggle a bit. I have and never will change my children like that. Each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

If you went in somewhere and your baby took a dump in it's nappy, and you discovered that the baby changing facility was only available to men, and if you wanted to change your kid you'd have to do it in an area unsuitable for the situation, how would you feel? Would you say "Sure, it's all good, I can do it while I'm taking a sh!t, myself"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

All this could have been resolved if the OP bothered to talk to the management of the restaurant. Plenty of men use the baby changing facilities in ladies toilets all the time.

I think people are getting a little carried away with this discrimination nonsense. Baby changing facilities were put into ladies toilets because there was a need for them in ladies toilets and it was beneficial to the business. There isnt enough need to put them into men's toilets too and may not be possible to install another area for men with babies. And unless you are told by management or its company policy to deny men access to baby changing facilities in ladies toilets then they are available to you and there is no discrimination.

Problem is its easier to cry discrimination and ring Joe Duffy than bring up the issue with anyone who can help solve it.

How about just a baby changing facility? Problem fucking solved. Good God, I am a genius.

No there actually was no sarcasm so can I pm you for those details now? :)

I was more or less asking why you don't see it as discrimination?

Probably because I dealt with having no facilities available when my 5 year old was young, and had to use cubicles myself. As I said, I don't see it as discrimination, just piss poor (pardon the pun) facilities. I'm not excusing anything, I just dont see the big deal about adapting to surroundings.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Just to get past the gender war thing, it isn't that hard for McDonalds to put in a baby changing facility in a toilet, wouldn't cost much in their their general World domination scheme of things.

People will complain and whinge no matter what, McDonalds would be well use to it and if there is no great demand for a facility then they aint gonna roll it out to millions of restaurants. Thats how business works.

If you went in somewhere and your baby took a dump in it's nappy, and you discovered that the baby changing facility was only available to men, and if you wanted to change your kid you'd have to do it in an area unsuitable for the situation, how would you feel? Would you say "Sure, it's all good, I can do it while I'm taking a sh!t, myself"?

Well, I didn't actually pee/poo while changing the baby, but I did sit on the (closed lid) toilet doing just that. Are you saying only women can do that? I have also changed a baby on the back seat of the car, am I a man now?

Well, I didn't actually pee/poo while changing the baby, but I did sit on the (closed lid) toilet doing just that. Are you saying only women can do that? I have also changed a baby on the back seat of the car, am I a man now?

I dunno, you tell me.

Also, you're deliberately missing the point, so I'm calling troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Probably because I dealt with having no facilities available when my 5 year old was young, and had to use cubicles myself. As I said, I don't see it as discrimination, just piss poor (pardon the pun) facilities. I'm not excusing anything, I just dont see the big deal about adapting to surroundings.

This is so pathetic, there are no words.

I'd double bag my mickey just walking past you, just in case.

I reckon your polluted drunk tbh.

I don't know why any person would think that was fair on babies, even if you obviously do hate men and are happy to make it a pathetic point scoring exercise.

You haven't a leg to stand on.

Yep, that's me, I hates men. I never think of the children, ever. Good thing my kids will never recall the places I relieved their s*itty bottoms from the shackles of the dirty nappies or they would grow up to detest me.

For the record, I don't agree with what happened to the op. I just think he made a bigger ordeal of it than necessary. If he didn't even bother complaining to management, how will anyone know there's an issue?

LordSmeg wrote: »
    People will complain and whinge no matter what, McDonalds would be well use to it and if there is no great demand for a facility then they aint gonna roll it out to millions of restaurants. Thats how business works.

That's how business works.

Hence why we've laws to protect workers from just how business works.

Are you aware of what a baby changing facility is and how easy it is to install? This is McDonalds FFS.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

That's how business works.

Hence why we've laws to protect workers from just how business works.

Are you aware of what a baby changing facility is and how easy it is to install? This is McDonalds FFS.

I'm sure they could afford to do a lot of things if they had the mind to but they aint gonna if there is no real demand which there doesnt seem to be.

Ah christ, no need for that, I have my own contraception! (ah answer, I wouldn't touch yours with a 10 foot barge pole)

Wow, I am actually glad to see so many men looking for family facilities.
    Never did I say it's wrong to have them, I just think the op overreacted - 30 mins to change the child in the car? What was he doing first? It still happens that there's no facilities, but you need to deal with those situations, male or female.

His issue is valid, his actions were not. Maybe I got too mixed up in that. For that, I'm sorry.

I'm sure they could afford to do a lot of things if they had the mind to but they aint gonna if there is no real demand which there doesnt seem to be.

But demand doesn't get to rule the world, Thank God. People realised one God is useless in this country, and are slowly realising the demand God is pretty useless too.

Consumerism replaced Catholicism and both are getting their comeuppance.

But demand doesn't get to rule the world, Thank God. People realised one God is useless in this country, and are slowly realising the demand God is pretty useless too.

Consumerism replaced Catholicism and both are getting their comeuppance.

Demand does rule the world of business though, especially in the case of a fast food chain like McDonalds. They aint out to change the world, they are out to make money and if there is no demand for something then its an unnecessary cost no matter how minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

If people want a change then get onto McDonalds, maybe eventually they will think there is a demand and install the things. But if not then they probably wont. Thats not me defending the evils of cunsumerism though just telling it like it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

The "member of staff" you spoke to is probably on minimum wage and dealing with a horrible manager or other superior. I don't think that is reprentative of the company. If you spoke to someone higher up they would have let you use the ladies.

However, I do think there should be a changing facility that is available to both mothers and fathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

You are being kind of hysterical tbh.
    Whats so shocking about what she said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

KKkitty wrote: »
    If my partner was treated in that manner while needing to change our sons nappy I'd be fuming. Gender discrimination has to stop. A man in a playground or swimming pool area can't take photos of his kids playing for fear that someone elses kids getting into the picture. Why can't they put their own kids on a proper surface to change their nappies when they're out. Plenty of dad bashing goes on but admiralofthefleet I commend you for your actions. A lap or cubicle isn't a proper place to change a child either as they can wriggle a bit. I have and never will change my children like that. Each to their own I guess.

What actions, though? All he did was leave the place in a huff over the actions of one member of staff who clearly didn't know how to handle the situation. If he'd just asked to speak to a member of staff, chances are the situation would have been resolved very easily and quickly and quietly.

It's a bit pointless starting a thread on here, threatening to "ring Joe" or whatever, when he didn't ask for management and give the restaurant a chance to sort things out there and then.

I dunno, you tell me.

Also, you're deliberately missing the point, so I'm calling troll.

Yeah, you're right, i was missing the point and getting mixed up in sex wars. I am sorry.

I finally get the point (took long enough). It was s^itty of the female employee in the op, and there was nothing to stop her helping out the op by letting him use the facilities while keeping an eye out for female customers.

Op, I'm sorry you dealt with an ass. I hope you do report it by email in the hopes it doesn't happen again.

Yeah, you're right, i was missing the point and getting mixed up in sex wars. I am sorry.

I finally get the point (took long enough). It was s^itty of the female employee in the op, and there was nothing to stop her helping out the op by letting him use the facilities while keeping an eye out for female customers.

Op, I'm sorry you dealt with an ass. I hope you do report it by email in the hopes it doesn't happen again.

To everyone I annoyed/insulted, I am very sorry, this issue has nothing to do with my own experiences in the past, it is very seperate.

You didnt annoy anyone who wasnt already annoyed and looking for someone to let rip at. You aint the pathetic one or the troll here. Dont apologise to people who havent the decency to discuss things in a cival manner.

You didnt annoy anyone who wasnt already annoyed and looking for someone to let rip at. You aint the pathetic one or the troll here. Dont apologise to people who havent the decency to discuss things in a cival manner.

Thanks, just edited my post before I saw yours!

Demand does rule the world of business though, especially in the case of a fast food chain like McDonalds. They aint out to change the world, they are out to make money and if there is no demand for something then its an unnecessary cost no matter how minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

If people want a change then get onto McDonalds, maybe eventually they will think there is a demand and install the things. But if not then they probably wont. Thats not me defending the evils of cunsumerism though just telling it like it is.

Governments are there to reign in the likes of McDonalds. Nobody has anything against them making money, just not at an all costs motive. So what if they've to install baby changing facilities in mens toilets?

They'll cut the cost somewhere else anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

lord lucan wrote: »
    Not really a minority these days. I see as many men bringing their kids out for the day as women. If this was the other way around the RTE switchboard would blow up with enraged wimmins complaining to Joe and summoning up the ghost of the suffragettes.
    What's to stop you and others doing similar such protesting? :confused:

That was a disgraceful way to be treated OP (if not that surprising unfortunately) - challenging it is the only way to cause change.

Governments are there to reign in the likes of McDonalds. Nobody has anything against them making money, just not at an all costs motive. So what if they've to install baby changing facilities in mens toilets?

They'll cut the cost somewhere else anyway.

If they have to they will whether its forced on them by law or demand but they dont have to currently in either respect is my point. So they more than likely wont.

So the issue seems to be with the Government for not forcing restaurants to provide these facilities. Not McDonalds at all who we all know wont do it if they see it as unnecessary due to lack of demand.

I think you may think I'm arguing a point I'm not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

KKkitty wrote: »

What actions, though? All he did was leave the place in a huff over the actions of one member of staff who clearly didn't know how to handle the situation. If he'd just asked to speak to a member of staff, chances are the situation would have been resolved very easily and quickly and quietly.

It's a bit pointless starting a thread on here, threatening to "ring Joe" or whatever, when he didn't ask for management and give the restaurant a chance to sort things out there and then.
    He could have got into a blazing row with child in arms further distressing his son but he didn't. He walked away more or less.

Advertisement