Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC M9 thread

Options
  • 22-03-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭

Picked mine up today. 32gb Grey.

All M9 discussion here...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Bluefoam wrote: »

Yawn to be honest, friend got one and it not too much different from the m7 or m8.

Then again I think the whole mobile phone sector has stagnated.

It's the same old stuff every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

How does the gunmetal grey M9 compare to the same M8. In the press release pictures it looks very dark. I'd almost go for the silver M9 but that gold band is putting me off it.

Also how much did you pay for it. I've read reports of about €650 for the 32gb version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

whats the battery life and camera like?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Had an M7, moved to the M8, current phone. Won't be purchasing a M9. Too similar in design and not enough of jump in specs. I had a good run. So after 6 or so HTC flagship phones in going to try something new. Leaning towards a Sony Z4 providing it has a SD card slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The grey looks darker than the m8. The phone is very different in the hand. I hated the M8, but liking this. I had the choice of the silver/gold, which also looked good.

Price in Dubai is likely to be cheaper than Europe.

• Advertisement

Yawn to be honest, friend got one and it not too much different from the m7 or m8.

Then again I think the whole mobile phone sector has stagnated.

It's the same old stuff every year.

Well done

I came from an M7... This is a worthwhile upgrade. No idea of battery or camera at this stage. Camera isn't pink though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I came from an M7... This is a worthwhile upgrade. No idea of battery or camera at this stage. Camera isn't pink though

Good man, keep us up to date on battery life etc....

I've got a note 3 for the past year and would like to down size. I'm torn between the m9 and the s6. But coming from the daddy of long battery life, I really don't want to trade down too far in that department.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

From an Irish retailer ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

beno619 wrote: »
    From an Irish retailer ?
    He's in the Middle East and mentions Dubai.

God knows what it'll cost here. Dont' think it's available here til the end of the month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Some of the more recent reviews that came out in last 24 hours.

Having read them, it's disappointing.

1. Screen is not as good as the M8's as it's running very cool (over 8k) giving off unnatural colours
    2. Camera is rubbish in low light. Seems to be the biggest complaint.
    3. Battery life is disappointing
    4. The snapdragon 810 runs hot and has to throttle in benchmarks so while it won't overheat, you will never see the performance figures quoted

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/22/8272727/htc-one-m9-review
    http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/HTC-One-M9-Review_id3956
    http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m9-review
    http://gizmodo.com/htc-one-m9-review-a-great-phone-that-cant-keep-up-1692880041
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/22/htc-one-m9-review/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Very disappointed in this, I was 100% set on getting one, but if the camera is that poor maybe I should think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Zascar wrote: »
    Very disappointed in this, I was 100% set on getting one, but if the camera is that poor maybe I should think otherwise.

I presume the front facing camera is okay in the dark considering it's the same as the m7 standard camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Idleater wrote: »
    I presume the front facing camera is okay in the dark considering it's the same as the m7 standard camera?

I think it's the rear shooter from the M8, rather than the M7, that's the front one on the M9. One of the reviews posted above mentions that certain accompanying hardware didn't carry over with it.

Zascar wrote: »

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed off myself, had been hanging on for the M9 for months. Given the consensus emerging from reviews about the camera, the approach seemingly being taken by HTC and LG to the Snapdragon 810's overheating (software down-throttling) and the conservative design, I think I might look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Test photos from a guy on YouTube micgamer16 I think, comparing M9 to S6.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yh3izckmz7a4a6j/AADgC5D4atz1I47cqC5-qCKFa?dl=0

I guess you have to ask yourself how important is taking low light photos to you. I had an M8 and really only used take photos in decent light although some reviews have commented on HTC's metering problem which can easily result in photos being overexposed in daylight, which is a problem the M8 had. For the amount of pics I take it would probably be ok.

The overheating / throttling is probably something you won't encounter in every day usage.

Lack of 1440p screen is not even worth considering seeing I wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a 5 inch phone between 1080p and 1440p. I couldn't on the Note 4 either.

Battery life will likely be improved with updates. And it's probably still better than the IP6 which I have now. Also didn't the Nexus 6 start out with poor battery life ?

I suppose the plus's on the M9 are the design which I like a lot, and the UI which I am guessing is still going to lighter then touchwiz on the S6 (I hated it on the Note 4 and it was supposed to be scaled down on that phone too). I also did use the speakers on the M8 *alot*, so that would be important to me, and probably most important for me is decent headphone quality and volume output where the HTC at least matches the Iphone 6.

A few things I am wondering about :
    1. What's the story with that sapphire camera lense. Is it the real deal and scratch resistant. On the m8 they had a cheap plastic lense protector with a coating that scratched up and people eventually were forced to remove it with tooth paste.

2. Which finish to get ?. The grey looks boring compared to the silver/gold, but that gold looks too blingy. I also wonder how this scratch resistant coating works and will it help prevent the back of the phone chipping or the edges getting hairline scratches. This I found was a problem on the M8.

3. That IR blaster. It looks like an ugly piece of plastic with a gloss finish prone to scratching.

Flaccus wrote: »
    I guess you have to ask yourself how important is taking low light photos to you. I had an M8 and really only used take photos in decent light although some reviews have commented on HTC's metering problem which can easily result in photos being overexposed in daylight, which is a problem the M8 had. For the amount of pics I take it would probably be ok.

For the price, I want an excellent camera. Hopefully there are further software tweaks on the way, I'd be surprised if it's down to the sensor itself.

The reviews say the sensor is capturing lots of detail.
    The problem is with the metering in the day where it exposes everything too much. And at night, who knows what's going on.
    Also the video camera at 1080p seems to be hopping around trying to grab focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

corwill wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty pissed off myself, had been hanging on for the M9 for months. Given the consensus emerging from reviews about the camera, the approach seemingly being taken by HTC and LG to the Snapdragon 810's overheating (software down-throttling) and the conservative design, I think I might look elsewhere.

Tbf there is no other approach to dealing with a hot chip. Throttling only seems to occur during benchmarking the phone is otherwise smooth and performs well. Qualcomm really dropped the ball this year.

The biggest disappointment for the is the display, the camera is bound to improve with updates whose OIS is clearly missed for videos.

• Advertisement

I have found out that mine doesn't have the final software yet. Camera is expected to be improved in the update... When it appears.

This phone feels awesome to hold... Serious quality. The software and interface is slick, smooth and fast. It also looks great.

The phone is a pleasure to use and I can't imagine any other phone coming close...

There is a lot of talk of Samsung concentrating on design, but touchwiz is laggy and crashy... That's probably not going to change. The new phone body's look impressive, but they are very bling/nightcluby. I don't see any functionality on the Samsung that is better than that of the m9... Plus if you've every tried to take a photo in a pub using a Samsung, you'll realise it takes about 5 minutes to actually get the shot.

This is really a great phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Would a phone bought in Dubai work back here? Have a friend over there who returns often, if it's that much cheaper I'd be tempted to have her pick up my next phone over there.

Reviews are disappointing, particularly anandtechs. Will wait and see how the s6 gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Hmmmmm i was waiting for this phone so bad wanting to go back to htc. finally thinking htc have upped their camera problems but reading the reviews it doesnt seem to be the case tbh.
    Now maybe its all software based and can be resolved but the lower quality screen and supposedly worse battey life are a deal breaker for me.
    I have a g3 and was looking forward to a decent 1080p screen with good - awesome battey life this sadly doesnt seem to be it. Maybe the z4 wont go qhd ill keep an eye on that. Or maybe the lg flex 2 hmmmmm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

How does the OnePlus one camera compare? People talk about the great build quality and feel but I think the Oneplus one has the best feel and quality, the gray one with the textured case is fantastic. Plus it's half the price.

Would a phone bought in Dubai work back here? Have a friend over there who returns often, if it's that much cheaper I'd be tempted to have her pick up my next phone over there.

Reviews are disappointing, particularly anandtechs. Will wait and see how the s6 gets on.

Yeh, most phones here are unlocked and work with European networks...

SM97 wrote: »
    Would rather spend 5 minutes taking good photos with the Samsung than a few seconds taking rubbish ones with the M9 to be fair. Samsung are well known for their top notch cameras on their flagships. The S5 had a fantastic camera, only took a few secs to focus for me, and I assume the S6's camera will be even faster.

The S6 has redesigned the UI also, and is now incredibly fast. The M9 reviews I have been reading are not very inspiring at all, many say the camera is just not up to scratch, which is a pity as I like the build quality.

Agreed. had a play with a live S6 and S6 edge in the Samsung experience store today. The edge is really svelte, more so then any other phone I have seen. And I liked the feel of it. The regular version just felt like a slightly thicker iphone. The S6 didn't seem laggy in the UI, nothing like the S5. Maybe about on par with the Note 4 or slightly quicker. And black is a major fingerprint magnet. White is much better. Just like the Xperia Z3 glass. And boy was it light. Also had a play with the M9. Felt like a brick in comparison.

I might just wait for the S6 edge now. The only negative I can see is what some reviewers picked up on, is the blue discolouration along the curve due to the nature of amoled.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have an M7 and was really excited by the M9 until the reviews and impressions first started dropping - especially where the camera is concerned. I'm out of contract now and had intended on getting the M9 but at €269 on a two-year contract I might just get a new battery in my M7, which works great with Lollipop, and wait for a while. Might even switch to the S6 which I would never have considered a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Flaccus wrote:
    1. Screen is not as good as the M8's as it's running very cool (over 8k) giving off unnatural colours 2. Camera is rubbish in low light. Seems to be the biggest complaint. 3. Battery life is disappointing 4. The snapdragon 810 runs hot and has to throttle in benchmarks so while it won't overheat, you will never see the performance figures quoted

This phone gets hammered in every review i have seen.HTC what have you done!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Have an M7 and was really excited by the M9 until the reviews and impressions first started dropping - especially where the camera is concerned. I'm out of contract now and had intended on getting the M9 but at €269 on a two-year contract I might just get a new battery in my M7, which works great with Lollipop, and wait for a while. Might even switch to the S6 which I would never have considered a month ago.

I'm in the same boat, the wife got the M8 and and it's too similar to the M7 so going by the reviews the M9 may not be worth getting. Looking at the S6 but it seems the prices will be crazy..what to do..first world problems :)

• Advertisement

I was in a similar situation. I ended up buying the Oneplus One for €299, now I can go on a cheaper sim only contract

Advertisement