Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sunday Game Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Amprodude wrote: »
    Eamonn o Hara speaks the most on the Panel and acts as if hes the real expect. What did he win again playing football? Hes all talk but didnt do much in his playing career.

And then you have Pat Spillane who won everything and talks Shi'ite.

You don't have to win to know more.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Eamonn o Hara speaks the most on the Panel and acts as if hes the real expect. What did he win again playing football? Hes all talk but didnt do much in his playing career.

He's from a weaker county, do you expect him to win an All-Ireland all by himself? Whelan and Early have the same amount of All-Irelands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Are you being serious? He was one of the best midfielders in the country for over a decade. It's hardly his fault he's from Sligo. He even managed to drag them to a Connaught title.

By the 'what have you won' logic not many people would be allowed have an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Neeson wrote: »
    And then you have Pat Spillane who won everything and talks Shi'ite.

You don't have to win to know more.

Im sorry but Spillane knows whats required to win. He won several AIs after all. O Hara is this so called expert but even with Sligo he was a very average player lets call a spade a spade.

He's from a weaker county, do you expect him to win an All-Ireland all by himself? Whelan and Early have the same amount of All-Irelands

Whelan and Early were far superior players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Im sorry but Spillane knows whats required to win. He won several AIs after all. O Hara is this so called expert but even with Sligo he was a very average player lets call a spade a spade.

What have you won? you're never short of an opinion anyway so you must have a few all Irelands in both codes.

What have you won? you're never short of an opinion anyway so you must have a few all Irelands in both codes.

Its a free website. Im not paid to give an opinion. You arent short of an opinion yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It takes a team of good players to win. But Eamon didn't have many around him. Pat did.

Neeson wrote: »
    It takes a team of good players to win. But Eamon didn't have many around him. Pat did.

Pat was also a better player than O Hara and so good that all the other Kerry forwards gelled together in perfect harmony.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Pat was also a better player than O Hara and so good that all the other Kerry forwards gelled together in perfect harmony.

I'm guessing (it's fairly obvious) you haven't seen much of O'Hara as a player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I thought Keith Higgins was actually the most influential player on the field. JoD would have ran riot if he had not been there. Higgins was unlucky to be part of a back malfuctioning full back line but I can't argue with CoC.

Its a free website. Im not paid to give an opinion. You arent short of an opinion yourself.

I'm not the one moaning about great players offering the opinions they are paid to share though, am I?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

lads settle down, some posts are borderline WUMing from what I can see - cool it off now or action will be taken to help you cool off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Does Cillian O'Connor know someone in RTE. Good player and made some important contributions today but its getting beyond a laugh at this stage.

He kicked 1-08 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

lads settle down, some posts are borderline WUMing from what I can see - cool it off now or action will be taken to help you cool off
    Ice bucket challenge?

• Advertisement

I'm not the one moaning about great players offering the opinions they are paid to share though, am I?

If O Hara is great player then im king of the world. Im not coming down O Hara but he wouldnt make alot of intercounty teams. He wouldnt be on a Kerry team for example or he wouldnt make the list of the top 25 greats in last 25 years. The reality is he wouldnt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Nib wrote: »
    Ice bucket challenge?

a week off the GAA forum might be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭tenbob1

I don't think bono would make a great DJ tbh.

I know several car salesmen that would make crappy racing drivers.

You do not have to be the best footballer ever to make a great pundit , I had my doubts about O'Hara last year, to me he seems to be a better pundit than footballer, and he was a pretty good football player.

tenbob1 wrote: »
    and he was a pretty good football player.

Define a good football player to me?
    If you ask me I say Gooch, Canavan,DOS, JOD, Maurice Fitz, Trevor Giles, Kieran McDonald, Michael Murphy, P.Joyce. B Brogan, D Connolly. Colm o Neill to name a few past and present.. O Hara isnt in that catergory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭tenbob1

I said good, not great, redefine your definitions .

• Advertisement

Define a good football player to me?
    If you ask me I say Gooch, Canavan,DOS, JOD, Maurice Fitz, Trevor Giles, Kieran McDonald, Michael Murphy, P.Joyce. B Brogan, D Connolly. Colm o Neill to name a few past and present.. O Hara isnt in that catergory.

I thought this thread was supposed to be about what the pundits say, not about what they did as players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Are you being serious? He was one of the best midfielders in the country for over a decade. It's hardly his fault he's from Sligo. He even managed to drag them to a Connaught title.

By the 'what have you won' logic not many people would be allowed have an opinion.

Was he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Loads of snobs around tonight.

There are plenty of former players with loads of Celtic crosses in their back pockets, who talk utter rubbish and are brutal on the telly/radio or in print. Being good on the pitch does not mean that you will be a good pundit off it. They regularly get shown up as bluffers by players who won little as they played for a weak county & by journalists who never played the games at all & won eff all.

It is snobbery plain and simple to dismiss someones opinion, just because he doesn't have a bellyful of AI medals. How many All Ireland medals did Micheal O'Muircheartaigh win? I'd love to see some one march up to him & tell him to shut up because he never won anything. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You clearly haven't a clue what you're talking about, so you should stop. If you don't understand why your insult levelled at the players doesn't make a lick of sense (and you don't) that's grand, but referring to your ignorance as "the truth" didn't make it any less embarrassing. It's not the Americans' fault that the GAA have, once again, made a fixtures balls up.

Aye I'm taking the pish there but it's probably fair to say not all of these lads will make the NFL? Also hear it isn't selling well at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

O'Hara was one of the best players of his era and at his peak would have got on every team in the country.It's easy to win All Ireland medals if your from Kerry.If Pat Spillane was born in Sligo he'd had exactly the same number of All Ireand medals as O'Hara has but it wouldn't mean he was any less entitled to talk about the game.

Football is a team sport so winning medals has absolutely nothing to do with how good and individual player is

Aye I'm taking the pish there but it's probably fair to say not all of these lads will make the NFL? Also hear it isn't selling well at the moment?

Most of them won't make the nfl, but even on the very best teams in the country most of the players won't get anywhere near being drafted.

You're right about it not selling well from what I can see. They had originally had hill tickets but have closed it since and moved people to the upper Hogan I think. But it's still probably going to have over 50000 at it. Shame though, if it sold well enough it would have seriously improved our chances if holding an NFL game down the road.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What actual difference does it make how many players will make the NFL? Some will some won't, college football is a sport in it's own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Whelan and Early were far superior players.

Such rubbish. Eamon O'Hara was one of the best naturally gifted midfielders in the country for almost a decade. Not putting down Dermot Early, Pat Spillane or Ciaran Whelan - they are all great players. But to say that they are better than Eamon O'Hara is just wrong.

They played on teams that got higher profile and there you would obviously see them play more. I'm from Mayo, and have seen O'Hara play several times, and he is/was an exceptional talent. Magnificent fielder, for someone who isn't your typical midfielder height.

I don't get as excited about his commentary, but it's early days for him yet, and I'm sure it takes a long time to get comfortable in a TV studio with nerves being an issue for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    :pac:

I wonder how many times people questioning his playing ability actually saw him play?

I suppose a lot of those would not consider the likes of Gary Brennan, Emelyn Mulligan, Brendan Murphy or Paddy Keenan great players either because they have never got the chance to win things?

Such rubbish. Eamon O'Hara was one of the best naturally gifted midfielders in the country for almost a decade. Not putting down Dermot Early, Pat Spillane or Ciaran Whelan - they are all great players. But to say that they are better than Eamon O'Hara is just wrong.

They played on teams that got higher profile and there you would obviously see them play more. I'm from Mayo, and have seen O'Hara play several times, and he is/was an exceptional talent. Magnificent fielder, for someone who isn't your typical midfielder height.

I don't get as excited about his commentary, but it's early days for him yet, and I'm sure it takes a long time to get comfortable in a TV studio with nerves being an issue for a while.

They were better than him though. It's not wrong at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭flasher0030

They were better than him though. It's not wrong at all.

That's your opinion. I've seen him play several times on TV, live, and I've played against him. I'm not saying he's the best player ever, but in terms of individual talent and leadership of a team, he is a great player, and should be lauded in equal fashion as the other players named.

If you had seen him play as regular as you have seen the others play, then I think you would agree. If you have seen him play regularly, and you still don't think he is as good as the others, then of course you're entitled to your opinion on it.

Most of them won't make the nfl, but even on the very best teams in the country most of the players won't get anywhere near being drafted.

You're right about it not selling well from what I can see. They had originally had hill tickets but have closed it since and moved people to the upper Hogan I think. But it's still probably going to have over 50000 at it. Shame though, if it sold well enough it would have seriously improved our chances if holding an NFL game down the road.

NFL game won't happen given that London is holding three of them - the NFL have made it their base at the moment, and its going well. If Ireland can get regular college football, they will be doing well I think

NFL game won't happen given that London is holding three of them - the NFL have made it their base at the moment, and its going well. If Ireland can get regular college football, they will be doing well I think

Not having Rooney as the ambassador doesn't help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Figsy32 wrote: »
    I wonder how many times people questioning his playing ability actually saw him play?

I suppose a lot of those would not consider the likes of Gary Brennan, Emelyn Mulligan, Brendan Murphy or Paddy Keenan great players either because they have never got the chance to win things?

Don't get me wrong, he was a good midfielder, but the suggestion that he was one of the best mid fielders in Ireland for nearly a decade is wrong. He was superb in 2002 alright when they pushed Armagh close. In 2007 he did score that goal to win the Connacht Final against Galway, but that was a horrendous Connacht Championship back then. Don't remember him doing much in that qf against Cork. Can't remember him contributing much more either to place him in the top bracket with the likes of Darragh O Se and Ciarain Whelean.

That's your opinion. I've seen him play several times on TV, live, and I've played against him. I'm not saying he's the best player ever, but in terms of individual talent and leadership of a team, he is a great player, and should be lauded in equal fashion as the other players named.

If you had seen him play as regular as you have seen the others play, then I think you would agree. If you have seen him play regularly, and you still don't think he is as good as the others, then of course you're entitled to your opinion on it.

I've seen O'Hara play on countless occasions, not least when he got that goal in 2007. He is obviously a good player, and one of Sligo's all time greats, but not a great in the grand scheme of things I'm afraid.

I'd have O Sé, Cavanagh, Tohill, Whelan, Murphy, Early all ahead of him in the pantheon of midfielders over the past how many years.

Done well for Sligo and fair play to him, but not in the elite bracket, which the first three in that list are most certainly in.

Great suits though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Winning loads and being a good pundit don't necessarily go hand in hand. Just because someone is capable on the field, doesn't mean that they're going to be particularly good at explaining how it all works and breaking it down for the viewer. Punditry requires a level of articulation that not every great player is going to have.

Then, of course, you have your journalists who have won sweet fcuk all giving their opinions on GAA day in day out in national and local newspapers. What about Marty Morrissey or Darragh Maloney? I suppose their opinions are null and void too.

Winning loads and being a good pundit don't necessarily go hand in hand. Just because someone is capable on the field, doesn't mean that they're going to be particularly good at explaining how it all works and breaking it down for the viewer. Punditry requires a level of articulation that not every great player is going to have.

Then, of course, you have your journalists who have won sweet fcuk all giving their opinions on GAA day in day out in national and local newspapers. What about Marty Morrissey or Darragh Maloney? I suppose their opinions are null and void too.

And you were doing oh so well, up until then....:eek:

ProudDUB wrote: »
    And you were doing oh so well, up until then....:eek:

The point stands. Someone doesn't need to win loads or even play football to have an opinion on it. Plenty of people who don't play and never have still have something to say.

Ah no, I agree. I said pretty much the same thing a page or two ago. I just used Micheal O'Muircheartaigh as my example, instead of the bould Marty. :)

• Advertisement

Sure what are we all doing on here anyway other spouting our own ill-informed opinions? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'm not surprised the tickets aren't selling well. I made the mistake of staying up to watch the Superbowl a few years back. The last ten minutes took about an hour to play. Mind-numbingly boring shyte. To think that the GAA have jettisoned our native game to host that rubbish truly beggars belief.

At this particular moment, the words of the great prophetess and sage, Jessie J, come to mind......

It seems like everybody's got a price
    I wonder how they sleep at night
    When the sale comes first and the truth comes
    second
    Just stop for a minute and smile.........

;)

I'm not surprised the tickets aren't selling well. I made the mistake of staying up to watch the Superbowl a few years back. The last ten minutes took about an hour to play. Mind-numbingly boring shyte. To think that the GAA have jettisoned our native game to host that rubbish truly beggars belief.

That is a wee bit reactionary & close minded, no? Lots of Americans think that soccer is about as interesting as watching paint dry, as pretty much eff all happens for 90 minutes. Each to his own and all that. If the GAA can make a few bob out of renting out Croke Park to "foreign" games, then fair play to them. That money will trickle down to players and clubs eventually & that is what matters imo.

So what if the native Irish aren't going to go the Croke Park Classic? We are not their target market. The thousands of Yanks who are coming from the US are. As long as the All Ireland series is not overly impacted by "foreign" games that are played in Croke Park, I couldn't care less what goes on there. But once it does, its time to have a serious rethink. That is why I was very glad to see Liam O'Neill declare today that no more American football games will be played there in July or August. By all means, bring them back next year, but do it Oct-December when nothing else is going on at Croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

That is a wee bit reactionary & close minded, no? Lots of Americans think that soccer is about as interesting as watching paint dry, as pretty much eff all happens for 90 minutes. Each to his own and all that. If the GAA can make a few bob out of renting out Croke Park to "foreign" games, then fair play to them. That money will trickle down to players and clubs eventually & that is what matters imo.

So what if the native Irish aren't going to go the Croke Park Classic? We are not their target market. The thousands of Yanks who are coming from the US are. As long as the All Ireland series is not overly impacted by "foreign" games that are played in Croke Park, I couldn't care less what goes on there. But once it does, its time to have a serious rethink. That is why I was very glad to see Liam O'Neill declare today that no more American football games will be played there in July or August. By all means, bring them back next year, but do it Oct-December when nothing else is going on at Croker.

The fact that the GAA were prepared to host this rubbish during the most important time of the Championship year says plenty about their money grabbing philosophy.
    It should not be forgotten that the GAA received millions from the Irish taxpayer towards the structural development of Croke Park, to promote Gaelic games; not to promote American Football and not to promote Gareth Brukes either.

The fact that the GAA were prepared to host this rubbish during the most important time of the Championship year says plenty about their money grabbing philosophy.
    It should not be forgotten that the GAA received millions from the Irish taxpayer towards the structural development of Croke Park, to promote Gaelic games; not to promote American Football and not to promote Gareth Brukes either.

The GAA have probably earned back more money for the Irish tax payer by having the gridiron game than would have been earned by hosting the Kerry Mayo match in Croke Park and the Mayo Kerry match goes ahead and generates bucket loads for Limericks economy.Surely the GAA's "money grabbing philosophy" helps ensure that less taxpayer funding is needed in future.

It was a mistake to have this clash of fixtures occur but don't be going overboard about it and it could easily have been avoided if the GAA just delayed each AI final by a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

But once it does, its time to have a serious rethink. That is why I was very glad to see Liam O'Neill declare today that no more American football games will be played there in July or August. By all means, bring them back next year, but do it Oct-December when nothing else is going on at Croker.

Really? because in today's Irish Times, Keith Duggan says that there is already a game scheduled for August 2017 and the plan is to have one every other year.

There is no competitive American Football played at College or Pro level in July, so we're safe enough. But, from the same piece linked to above, it seems that only the first game of the College season can be played overseas and so that will be late August or early September.

I think it's crazy to schedule anything in Croke Park over a weekend in August or September other than a GAA match. The Irish economy would benefit just as much if American Football was played in the Avivia in August/September - I would be very surprised if the attendance will be more than that which attended Notre Dame v Navy in the Aviva back in 2012, and that had was part of 'The Gathering'.

The last time a College game was played in Croke Park was 1996 and that involved Notre Dame. The attendance was less than 40,000. Penn State are currently under sanctions for some pretty serious issues. The game is starting at 8.30am East Coast time in the US. I really wonder how much exposure Croke Park/the GAA will get from this.

You can of course argue that hosting this game in Croke Park has a financial benefit for the GAA. But so would selling the naming rights of Croke Park. Or any other number of commerical ventures you could care to name. Given that Croke Park has a full time commercial director nothing that happens in the future would surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Just a few comments on the coverage of the game in limerick yesterday.
    1. Obviously Mary and Tommy are a pain in the hole. Tommy continued contention that "tactics have gone out the window" was repeated ad nausea.
    2. Very poor commentary of what was happening re:teams etc. 2 bloodbsubs on for mayo at one stage and boys hadn't a clue. Changes galore on start of extra time and during it and boys couldn't follow it. Surely place for a sideline reporter.
    3. Little comment on referees performance, save colm o rourke constant cheerleading for fellow meath man reilly.
    4. Airbrushing the crowd control issues at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭randd1

It seems Marty Morrissey is the main commentator for RTE for the GAA this year.

Have to say, he's an insufferable bore who makes my bollocks sick as a commentator. You have to admit (and admire) that he has a great enthusiasm for the sports, but he is a shocking commentator and adds absolutely nothing to the viewing experience, and there surely has to be someone better out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

randd1 wrote: »

Have to say, he's an insufferable bore who makes my bollocks sick as a commentator. You have to admit (and admire) that he has a great enthusiasm for the sports, but he is a shocking commentator and adds absolutely nothing to the viewing experience, and there surely has to be someone better out there.

Thank god it's Darren maloney for the donegal game

I might watch todays match on RTE as Darragh Maloney is commentating but I honetsly think that Sky's coverage is a lot better than RTE.

McIntyre is a better commentator than Marty Morrissey,Paul Early is miles better than Tommy Carr,Rachel Wyse is a better anchor than Lyster,the pundits are easier to listen to and discuss the games without petty bickering and have some basic manners which is sadly lacking from one of RTE's panel.

Sky's coverage may not be perfect but it's well ahead of RTE for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

randd1 wrote: »

Let's hope he doesn't get the hurling final next week. His sucking up to Brian Cody and Kilkenny and cheerleading for them has got to embarrassing levels since Cody nailed him in the interview after the final a few years back.

My respect for Cody went up ten-fold that day. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement