Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great White Sharks coming to Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

But Great Whites are so talented lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

krudler wrote: »
    The making of that film is brilliant, some great stories on that set.
    for those interested,it's a good read
    http://www.hollywoodstories.com/pages/hollywood/h45.html
    Robert Shaw who was once quoted as saying,"Can you tell me one great actor who doesn't drink?" lamented to Richard Dreyfuss, that he would like to give up alcohol, then he was furious when the younger actor threw Shaw's booze over the side of the boat. Shaw was bored out of his mind on the island despite some local gang members shooting out the windows of his rented house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I believe they're not an unheard of sight off our coasts. In fairness, it is the ocean, there's nothing to stop them from swimming up here, and plenty of seals to entice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 steev e

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Ah jaysus,next they'll be given them social welfare,new cars and houses.For Jaysus sake.

Do u know they get free socks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse for Ireland. Apparently there was a Great White spotted off the coast of Kerry a couple of weeks ago with suggestions that due to the increasing tempartures in the drift and the plentiful seal population, more and more sharks are likely to make Ireland a regular destination. Galway will be like the town in Jaws. If you scream shark we've got a full scal panic on our hands. It's July! We can't close the beaches, it's the festival season...

I for one, welcome our new shark overlords...

We have them already, for the last number of years, they are called Bankers and Politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I hear they are far more afraid of us than we are...are fcuk it sharks argh.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

krudler wrote: »
    He was constantly bickering with Richard Dreyfuss too to aggravate him until after they filmed the comparing scars scene, made their not liking each other until then seem more genuine. The making of that film is brilliant, some great stories on that set.

I adore Jaws, it's probably my favourite film I've seen it countless times.

+1
    It has to be up there as one of my all time favourite movies.

Funny thing.....
    Around the same age I,
    Saw the original "Pirahna" and was terrified.
    Saw Jaws and became intrigued by sharks.

Go figure(could it have been the movie quality:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think the impact the first Jaws movie had on people will never be seen again. I remember being on holidays and my brothers & sisters tentatively checking under the water with their face masks, to make sure Jaws wasn't there. It was a swimming pool I might add, but such was the effect the movie had on us kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

davet82 wrote: »
    its fcukin freezing in this bloody country and anybody in the water no matter what time of year is must be nuts and deserves to be eaten by a big poxy shark

the end.

given the amount of raw sewage dumped into the sea off the west coast you'd be mad to go swimming in it

as for the irish sea that is even worse for pollution, raw sewage, cellafield radioactive waste, and god know what else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Anyone who knows anything about sharks knows they cannot survive in Irish waters. Not because of the climate, but Ireland is home to the Great White's only known natural predator in the wild...
    Mary Harney!

As St Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland, Mary Harney ate Ireland's native shark population to near extintion...the only thing that saved basking sharks and even Fungi was a bout of acid reflux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I can't believe its not a South African rugby team. Actual great white sharks?!

In Ireland... or off the coast; rather if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The Galway sharks are being classed as a new species, the Grand White Shark.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Knowing Ireland, we'll probably get these lads:
    sharks.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

given the amount of raw sewage dumped into the sea off the west coast you'd be mad to go swimming in it

as for the irish sea that is even worse for pollution, raw sewage, cellafield radioactive waste, and god know what else.

I swim in galway for about 30-40 mins at a time about 5 days a week. The water is fine swimming from Blackrock diving board according the latest EPA report.

Its not too cold at this time of year either once you get used to it.

Advertisement