Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Darren O' Sullian is captain Mr. Incognito. And I would have to agree with Agus above in thinking that Paddy Curran was top scorer - I could be wrong though!

Also, Darren O' Sullivan's breakaway point against Armagh - was that not a breakaway goal? I remember he scored a goal to bury the game, I don't remember any point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Darren hadn't a starting berth nailed down so he was named captain with Donnacha vice-captain.

That was a breakaway goal, typo there, I can still see him intercepting that pass and tearing down on the goal, pure class.

Can't find any info on the minor top scorers. I remember Barry John being the top scorer last year and I though Tommy was too, I remember he had a crazy amount of goals to his name anyway. Can anyone dig that out?

Darren hadn't a starting berth nailed down so he was named captain with Donnacha vice-captain.

Can't find any info on the minor top scorers. I remember Barry John being the top scorer last year and I though Tommy was too, I remember he had a crazy amount of goals to his name anyway. Can anyone dig that out?

But Donnacha hadn't a starting berth nailed either, and Darren was more likely to get one this year, therefore they named him captain. That's the reasoning behind it as far as I saw.

I remember Tommy scored a load of goals for the u-21s, but I can't find anything on the minors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

That was a breakaway goal, typo there, I can still see him intercepting that pass and tearing down on the goal, pure class.

Well this is what I got from a bit of research on hoganstand and I'm afraid your memory might be a little off....:D

http://www.hoganstand.com/general/results/2006/april.aspx
    Munster MFC v Tipperary
    Curran 1-2
    Walsh 0-0

Munster MFC v Limerick
    Curran 0-5
    Walsh 1-1

Munster MFC v Tipperary
    Curran 0-6
    Walsh 0-0

All-Ireland quarter v Mayo
    Curran 0-3
    Walsh 0-1

All-Ireland semi v Donegal
    Curran 1-6
    Walsh 0-1

All-Ireland final v Roscommon
    Curran 0-8
    Walsh 0-1

All-Ireland final replay v Roscommon
    Curran 0-4
    Walsh 0-2

Curran thus outscored Walsh in every game, with final total of
    Curran 2-34
    Walsh 1-6

So actually Curran scored 40 to Walsh's 9 and there was certainly no "crazy amount of goals" to Tommy's name!:D

To be fair to Tommy though he was playing more midfield than forward and wasn't the free-taker. Paddy Curran was a great talent thougjh...real pity he's been suffering from serious injuries, and he's likely to be out for the under-21s for the moment.

Thanks for that Agus. I though I saw Paddy Curran listed somewhere for the minors this year against Cork.....once again maybe I'm wrong! I knew he broke his leg/did himself some serious injury alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Frogdog wrote: »
    Thanks for that Agus. I though I saw Paddy Curran listed somewhere for the minors this year against Cork.....once again maybe I'm wrong! I knew he broke his leg/did himself some serious injury alright.

No he's way older than that. I think there's a Patrick Curran as well though who might be underage this year, but it's not the same guy...

keane2097 wrote: »
    No he's way older than that. I think there's a Patrick Curran as well though who might be underage this year, but it's not the same guy...

Sorry meant to say u-21's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Wow Mr Incognito,that is some drive from Kerry to Derry.Send us a postcard.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

There are six changes to the Kerry team to play Derry on Sunday next in Round 3 of The Allianz National Football League. Ger Reidy and Tommy Griffin are back as are Tom O'Sullivan, Michéal Quirke, Donnacha Walsh and Kieran Donaghy. Tomas Ó Sé, Mike Frank Russell and Tadhg Kennelly are also on the squad to travel to Derry.
    Aidan O'Shea, David Moran, Tommy Walsh, Kieran O'Leary and Killian Young are on duty with the Kerry U21 squad.
    Micheal Quirke, Tom O'Sullivan, Tomas Ó Sé, Mike Frank Russell and Kieran Donaghy don the Kerry jersey for the first time since the All Ireland Final. Tadhg Kennelly last appearance with Kerry was in the U21 All Ireland semi final V Galway in Ennis in 2002.

(1) Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds)
    (2) Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin)
    (3) Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore)
    (4) Tom O'Sullivan (Rathmore)
    (5) Tommy Griffin (Dingle)
    (6) Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (7) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks)
    (8) Seamus Scanlon (Currow)
    (9) Michéal Quirke (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
    (10) Paul Galvin Finuge
    (11) Declan O'Sullivan Piarsaigh Na Dromada
    (12) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane)
    (13) Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes)
    (14) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)
    (15) Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (Captain)

Fir Ionad:
    (16) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle)
    (17) Anthony Maher (Duagh)
    (18) Maurice Corridan (Finuge)
    (19) Brian Moran (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
    (20) Kieran Quirke (Duagh)
    (21) Paul O'Connor (Kenmare)
    (22) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    (23) MF Russell (Laune Rangers)
    (24) Tadhg Kennelly (Listowel Emmett's)
    (25) Ronan O'Connor (Ronán Ó Concubhair) Ballyduff

Bainsteoir: Jack O'Connor (Piarsaigh Na Dromada)
    Traenálaí: Alan O'Sullivan (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
    Roghnóirí: Ger O'Keeffe (Austin Stacks) Eamon Fitzmaurice (Finuge)

Kerry GAA Web-Site

• Advertisement

That is waht I'd be inclined to call an "interesting" selection...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well I for one am happy with this line-up. The championship is just around the corner and it's good to know they are trying out new players and varying the positions to help give them more options for when it does come round.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Well I for one am happy with this line-up. The championship is just around the corner and it's good to know they are trying out new players and varying the positions to help give them more options for when it does come round.

Well it's good to see Mike Quirke getting his game - as anybody who attended any Strand Road Championship matches last year will probably tell you he's the most dominating midfielder in the county by a considerable distance. He routinely destroys anyone put up against him.

Well it's another Kerry victory: Kerry 0.12 to Derry 0.10 but what a disappointing game that was :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Well it's another Kerry victory: Kerry 0.12 to Derry 0.10 but what a disappointing game that was :pac:
    At least you got to see the game.
    On the train to Belfast today and had to get a bus from Newry because of a security alert.
    Decided against that and got the train back to Dublin.
    GUTTED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

apparantly the set up in ballaghy is poor? i.e - its just a club ground?

anyway, didnt see the game so cant comment but to go to ulster 2 times and come back with 2 wins bodes well. 6 points from 3 games played, all against the northies.

• Advertisement

Didn't see the game yesterday - how was Mícheál Quirke going before he got booked?

I think the yellow card rule is a little bit overly harsh - it's almost perfect, but imo the booked player should be allowed to return after some period of time, say 15 minutes or so...

I was at it, Quirke was poor before he got sent off. Had a nice point, Kerry's opening point but he's a bit slow around the pitch and when he's tracking back he's doing it with the head down.

Pitch was atrocious- noone could stay on their feet.

Gooch had a terrible day at the office. Kicked a few uncharicteristic wides and when through on goal tried to place the ball in the corner and horribly mis-kicked it and was lucky it went over. The peno was taken well enough but the keeper got a hand to it, fair fecks.

Kerry seemed to be playing a lot of route one football, I'd like to see Darren run at defences a bit more but he ran down some awful cul de sacs yesterday. Declan was MOM by a mile, did some great defensive work and was tireless. The ref was consistent but Declan was mouthing off and as a result was getting nothing off him. I though Jack would bring better discipline but himself and Declan are close so we'll see. Kennelly made a fantastic catch in traffic when he came in but no doubt he looks rusty. As for the attempted point- we won't go there.

I have to say Derry looked uninterested, there was a very flat athmosphere at the game. Surprised Paddy Bradley isn't playing but they're manager has made no secret of the fact they want to develop a more consistent team and not be over reliant on him.

Kerry were the better team, they kept the ball for long periods and had the better chances.

Froze my arse off up there. Poor umbrella ended up in the field behind me. No stand, tight pitch and no hiding paces for anyone. Only thing I'd add was that Donnacha Walsh was very poor and Tadgh well I don't think we'll see him in the forwards again. It will be interesting to see where Jack plays both Star & Tommy Walsh this year. No point playing them both in the full forward line like last year.

Some competition for places alright though I think we saw 5 out of the 6 starting forwards yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

manster wrote: »
    Froze my arse off up there. Poor umbrella ended up in the field behind me. No stand, tight pitch and no hiding paces for anyone. Only thing I'd add was that Donnacha Walsh was very poor and Tadgh well I don't think we'll see him in the forwards again. It will be interesting to see where Jack plays both Star & Tommy Walsh this year. No point playing them both in the full forward line like last year.

Some competition for places alright though I think we saw 5 out of the 6 starting forwards yesterday.

I don't know about that, Tommy and Star did well all year until we started to panic against Tyrone in the final and all we did was throw in big high balls. Tommy's great at getting out in front of his man and running at defences because he's so hard to stop. I think Cooper should be on the forty - his distribution is phenomenal, Galvin and Declan on either side of that would prove hard to stop they can all take scores,run at defences and give quality ball into the full forward line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Under-21s against Cork

1. Tomás Mac an tSaoir (An Ghaeltacht) 2. Pádraig O’Connor(Legion) 3 Stephen Browne (Castlegregory) 4 Shane Enright (Tarbert) 5 Jonathan Lyne(Legion) 6 Mike Moloney (Dr Crokes) 7 Rory Horgan (Ardfert) 8 David Moran (Kerins O’Rahillys) 9 Shane Hennessy (Castlegregory) 10. Adrian Greaney (St. Pat’s) 11 Gary Sayers (Keel) 12 JB Spillane (Castlegregory) 13 Alan O’Donoghue (John Mitchel’s) 14 Tommy Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys) 15 Barry John Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys) Subs: 16. Brian Kelly (Legion) 17.John Buckley (Dr Crokes) 18. Jamie Doolan (Dr Crokes) 19.Brian Russell (Spa) 20.Gary O’Driscoll (Skellig Rangers) 21.Barry Shanahan (Austin Stacks) 22. Patrick Curtain (Moyvane) 23. Daithí Casey (DR. Crokes) 24.Daniel O’Shea (Currow) Trainer: Sean Geaney (Dingle) Selectors: John Galvin (Waterville), Jerome Stack (Listowel Emmet’s) Colm Geaney (Dingle)

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]CORK (U-21F v Kerry): D Farry (Nemo Rangers); J McLoughlin (Kanturk), J O’Sullivan (Bishopstown), N Galvin (Ballincollig); C O’Driscoll (Ilen Rovers), A Walsh (Kanturk), B Daly (Newmarket); C O’Donovan (Valley Rovers), K O’Driscoll (Tadgh MacCárthaigh); C Sheehan (Éire Óg), S McCarthy (Douglas), C O’Driscoll (Tadgh MacCárthaigh); C O’Neill (Ballyclough), D Goold (Macroom), P Honohan (Bishopstown).

Subs: B Walsh (Oliver Plunketts), L Jennings (Ballincollig), R Buckley (Macroom), D O’Sullivan (Ballinascarthy), J Fitzpatrick (Carbery Rangers), E Keane (St Finbarrs), M Collins (Castlehaven), E Buckley (St Michael’s), B O’Driscoll (Nemo Rangers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

GALWAY FOR SAM. KERRY FOR CHELTNEM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Suprisingly Cork Under-21s destroyed their Kerry counterparts today, 1-17 to 9. I don't think the Cork team have a senior panelist, and they have a few 19 year olds playing as well (Sheehan and Walsh) so I expected Kerry to destroy them, even though they were missing a few (as were Cork in fairness).

Anyone there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Very suprised with that - considering you still have a few veterans of last years all Ireland winning team and the new lads in from the Kerry minor team that made the all Ireland semi's last year. Did Cork have many of their U-21 team from last year?

Kerry Team V Mayo Sunday 15th March

1) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle ) (2) Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin ) (3) Aidan O’Shea (Glenbeigh /Glencar ) (4) Tom O’Sullivan (Rathmore) (5) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (6) Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (7) Tommy Griffin (Dingle) (8) Anthony Maher (Duagh) (9) Michéal Quirke (Kerins O’Rahilly’s) (10) Paul Galvin (Finuge) (11) Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) (12) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane) (13) Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes) (14) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (Captain)

Fir Ionad: (16) Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds) (17) Seamus Scanlon (Currow) (18) Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore) (19) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) (20) Kieran Quirke (Duagh) (21) Brian Sheehan (St Mary’s) (22) Ronán O’Flatharta (An Ghaeltacht) (23) Kieran O’Leary (Dr. Crokes) (24) Tadhg Kennelly

Time to get some shut-eye before heading to the game. The last time we played Mayo at home they beat us. In fact they have beaten us the last 3years in a row in the league.

I hope their will be a good turnout later today, if you're around - come and support :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

GWAN THE KINGDOM!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Up Kerry! Flush the Jacks!

Kerry Team V Westmeath on Sunday 22nd March 09

(1) Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds) (2) Kieran Quirke (Duagh) (3) Aidan O’Shea (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (4) Tom O’Sullivan (Rathmore) (5) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) (6) Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore) (7) Tommy Griffin (Dingle) (8) Seamus Scanlon (Currow) (9) Anthony Maher (Duagh) (10) Tadhg Kennelly (Listowel Emmet’s) (11) Tommy Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys) (12) Donnacha Walsh (Cromane) (Capt) (13) Kieran O’Leary (Dr. Crokes) (14) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) (15) Paul O’Connor (Kenmare)

Fir Ionad: (16) Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle) (17) Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (18) David Moran (Kerins O’Rahillys) (19) Bryan Sheehan (ST Marys) (20) Maurice Corridan (Finuge) (21) Rónán Ó Flatharta (An Ghaeltacht) (22) Sean O’Sullivan (Cromane) (23 Brian Moran (Kerins O’Rahilly’s) (24) Ronan O’Connor (Ballyduff)

Westmeath @ 5/1 looks good odds to me

Did anyone travel to Austin Stacks' Park today I wonder? - their is no mention of the crowd on the RadioKerry coverage so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Did anyone travel to Austin Stacks' Park today I wonder? - their is no mention of the crowd on the RadioKerry coverage so far.

Ya I did, I couldn't say how many people were there.
    I took pictures heres a link http://www.flickr.com/photos/padocon/3376942284/

nice pix padocon ... thanks for sharing them. It is pretty cool looking at the tensity and determination in the players' faces when they are playing.

Good news that tadgh had a good game according to the coverage on RK and Darren seems to be returning to his old self again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I was at it and I thought Kerry were terrible, and Westmeath even worse. Paul O'Connor had his penalty kick saved and the Westmeath man drove his wide. Kerry were ragged and there was seven new players from the team that lined out against Mayo previously. The introduction of Darren O'Sullivan and Sean Sullivan in the second half won the game for Kerry as they were behind 0-5 to 0-6 at half time. Tommy Walsh and Kieran Donaghy were so clumsy and wasted several good chances.

Seamus Scanlon was my MOTM and himself and David Moran cleaned out midfield. It was a bad display by Kerry and the scoreline did not display how bad they were. This match was all about experimentation by Jack O'Connor, roll on Dublin in Parnell Park next weekend.

Think it will be that Kerry -v- Dublin match which will show us how much work we have to do before the championship commences. The experimentation is good so long as the management team don't resort back to the auld tried & trusted reliables too fast without taking these league games & new players/positional changes into account.

I wonder- Dublin are playins some terrible football in the league and still have the Crokes Players to come back. I can see Kerry walking this one. Moran looks like the find in the league so far to me anyway.

Moran - David or Brian? I have to say though that neither have really caught my eye thus far but I'll be keeping a closer eye on both against the Dubs should they be playing some part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I wonder- Dublin are playins some terrible football in the league and still have the Crokes Players to come back. I can see Kerry walking this one. Moran looks like the find in the league so far to me anyway.

For my sins I watched the Mayo Dublin game - it was car crash stuff.
    While the pitch wasnt great and there was a tricky wind it doesn't look like Dublin have made much in the way of progress. Still looks like Brogan as the only forward of quality - scored 5 of their 8 points. The Dublin forwards kicked an array of some of the worst wides imaginable. After 25 mins it was something like 5 points to Dublin no score to Mayo {one wide} and Dublin with ten wides. The only hint of a gameplan seemed to be get the ball to Brogan. I'd also have concerns about Whelan's discipline and I thought he was once again lucky to stay on the field after some more silly buggers. Maybe it was an off day but having seen a fair bit of the Meath v Monaghan game I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Meath beat them in the first round.

I would expect to see a Kerry first fifteen which would bear a much greater resemblance to the starting Championship fifteen with Gooch, Galvin and Dec Sullivan all back. I really cant see anything but a Kerry win in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Moran - David or Brian? I have to say though that neither have really caught my eye thus far but I'll be keeping a closer eye on both against the Dubs should they be playing some part

eh????????:confused::confused::eek:

david moran was MOM in the first game and was superb the last day also when he came on, where u at those games?!!

he missed a few games then with the U21s.

one of the most positive part of the league so far IMO.

eh????????:confused::confused::eek:

david moran was MOM in the first game and was superb the last day also when he came on, where u at those games?!!

he missed a few games then with the U21s.

one of the most positive part of the league so far IMO.

No I miss some Kerry matches due to either work or being out of the county for the week-end and resorted to RK coverage online (needs must and all that). I'll keep an eye out the next day though. Sounds promising anyway.

• Advertisement

Ciarraí V Baile Atha Cliath
    Allianz Football League Sunday 29th March
    Friday, 27 March 2009
    The Kerry team to play Dublin on Sunday next is as follows:
    Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle)
    Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin) Aidan O'Shea (Glenbeigh/Glencar) Tom O'Sullivan (Rathmore) Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) Tommy Griffin (Dingle) Seamus Scanlon (Currow) David Moran (Kerins O'Rahilly's)
    Paul Galvin (Finuge) Tommy Walsh (Kerins O'Rahilly's) Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) (Captain)
    Colm Cooper Colm Cuipéir (Dr. Crokes) Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary's)
    Fir Ionad:
    Ger Reidy (Castleisland Desmonds) Anthony Maher (Duagh) Kieran Quirke (Duagh) Michéal Quirke (Kerins O'Rahilly's) Paul O'Connor (Kenmare) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) Maurice Corridan (Finuge) Kieran O'Leary (Dr. Crokes) and Seán O'Sullivan (Cromane)
    The following players were not considered for selection due to injury: Donnacha Walsh, Tadhg Kennelly, Killian Young, Declan O'Sullivan and Marc Ó Sé.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mayo1

I am banned

^ ^

So is there many from the Kingdom travelling up in the morning? I myself won't be but it will be interesting to see though how many Dubs can actually find Parnell Park. They don't seem to be used to attending another GAA ground except Croke Park :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Just glancing at a few posts and now understand why there were so jokes when I was growing uo;)

Just to reply on a serious note. Ciaran Whelan getting bad press again. Lets face it he is more sinned against than most players. Darragh O'Se for example had one or two things pointed out against him in the media and it appeared to me a few Ref's were pretty hard on him, unfairly in my humble opinion. If people are going to say Whelan is at silly buggers its a little unfair, it is very easy to stir up a little campaign against a player by saying he is at it again. Its also emailing R.T.E and raising some silly point about what a player does. This happen believe me. We had it in Hurling with goalies and the small square.
    Tomorrow Kerry will win I think by a few points
    AS for Kerry 2009? They will win All-Ireland and remember you hard it hear first, from a Dub:)
    By the way Kerry4sam Dublin fans prefer to play away than at home in Parnell Park. Unless you are away every wekend you will have noticed they travel in good numbers and bring a great bit of crack to towns when they do travel. For the people making their way up tomorrow have a safe trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

LeoB wrote: »
    Just glancing at a few posts and now understand why there were so jokes when I was growing uo;)

Just to reply on a serious note. Ciaran Whelan getting bad press again. Lets face it he is more sinned against than most players. Darragh O'Se for example had one or two things pointed out against him in the media and it appeared to me a few Ref's were pretty hard on him, unfairly in my humble opinion. If people are going to say Whelan is at silly buggers its a little unfair, it is very easy to stir up a little campaign against a player by saying he is at it again. Its also emailing R.T.E and raising some silly point about what a player does. This happen believe me. We had it in Hurling with goalies and the small square.
    Tomorrow Kerry will win I think by a few points
    AS for Kerry 2009? They will win All-Ireland and remember you hard it hear first, from a Dub:)
    By the way Kerry4sam Dublin fans prefer to play away than at home in Parnell Park. Unless you are away every wekend you will have noticed they travel in good numbers and bring a great bit of crack to towns when they do travel. For the people making their way up tomorrow have a safe trip

Seeing as I'm the one who described what Whelan did in the Mayo game as "silly buggers" I'll expand on it a bit. What I was mainly referring to was the incident where when holding the ball with both hands Whelan used it to push against Peadar Gardiner's head. It was after the whistle had gone, pretty sure for a free to Mayo and it's quite difficult to describe accurately mainly due to how frankly bizarre it was. The ref gave Whelan a talking to and a black card/ticking. Whelan was also involved in another incident where he seemed to commit what to my eyes could have been a yellow on Moran (I think) but if it had been given would probably have been harsh. Neither of the incidents were especially dirty but on another day he could have easily got the line - the Gardner incident was just bizarre and seemed to be as a result of frustration - I'd say Gardiner was more confused than anything else. Overall to describe it as silly buggers doesn't strike me as remotely unfair and I'd be very surprised if many Dublin supporters who saw the game would disagree with me.

As to the notion of Whelan getting bad press, it's really kinda amusing as I doubt that little if any notice has been taken of his behaviour in the Mayo game, silly and all as it was. The only place where conceivably might have been noticed was possibly by the Dublin management seeing as he is being rested for the game today, which struck me as a bit odd when I saw it considering Dublin's position in the league. What I think about the notion of a campaign against Whelan being stirred up, I think that's just wandering into paranoia territority.

I would also disagree strongly with the notion that he is more sinned against than most players. He is a high-profile player who has a track record of letting his temper get the better than him and in my opinion in his career he has been slightly fortunate in terms of his dealings with referees/officalfdom.

• Advertisement

As to the notion of Whelan getting bad press, it's really kinda amusing as I doubt that little if any notice has been taken of his behaviour in the Mayo game, silly and all as it was. The only place where conceivably might have been noticed was possibly by the Dublin management seeing as he is being rested for the game today, which struck me as a bit odd when I saw it considering Dublin's position in the league. What I think about the notion of a campaign against Whelan being stirred up, I think that's just wandering into paranoia territority.

Would agree with this certainly - I hadn't heard he did anything against Mayo until I read this post just now, and I'm not exactly insulated from the world of GAA reporting...

Now that kerry are the league final I hope they don't take the foot off the pedal in the second-half. We're going okay at the moment & we certainly could have the beating of them. Cooper & Donaghy need to get more ball in the second-half and get them over the bar.
    Dublin had two goal chances in the first-half and if they had gone in, I'm not sure we'd pull back the points.

fair result 1.15 - 1.15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

That was a good match today. Dublin probably sick at not collecting both points but I think Kerry will be happy. They have loads left in the tank. Dublin a lttle fragile but improving

Just back to the Whelan the petty stuff he does goes on in all games. It went on today in Parnell pk. I am not condoning it. My point is if Spillane or O'Rourke decide to pick up on it during Sunday game they can make life hell for a player. Were Kerry not the victims of this on more than one occasion. I am not defending Whelan as such but here he is picked up again when far worse is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

A draw was a fair result. Dublin probably should of won it though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement