Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No TV - the New Cool?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

chosen1 wrote: »
    Probably been asked before but what do people face the furniture at, if they have no TV?

Fireplace? Coffeetable? Window? Centre of the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Probably been asked before but what do people face the furniture at, if they have no TV?

Their acoustic guitar of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

They aim it wistfully at an empty TV cabinet, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

phasers wrote: »
    people that brag about not having a television are the same kind of people that take out an acoustic guitar at a party (i.e. ****)
    Do people really do that?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I just really love my Sex and the City box set
    I thought take me own life was a new celebrity reality tv show.
    The computer, mine has a big screen and a remote so it's not all that different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I own a 37" TV but it is only ever hooked up to my DVD player/laptop. I do not have/want television service.

And am I the only one who actually likes the odd bit of acoustic guitar? Perhaps I'm not in the know but I'd say its less admirable to spend your time watching TV than playing/learning an instrument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Don't bother with a TV if you don't want to, but ffs, don't be po-faced about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

I don't watch TV.

That can only mean it's either NOT cool, or else it WAS cool.
    Can't be cool right now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

ScumLord wrote: »
    I thought take me own life was a new celebrity reality tv show.
    I'd watch that

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

If I can't afford to buy a T.V does this make me cool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Hellm0 wrote: »
    I own a 37" TV but it is only ever hooked up to my DVD player/laptop. I do not have/want television service.

And am I the only one who actually likes the odd bit of acoustic guitar? Perhaps I'm not in the know but I'd say its less admirable to spend your time watching TV than playing/learning an instrument.

I think you're phasers was talking about..do you play guitar?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 papa-lazarou

tech77 wrote: »
    John Travolta's Vincent Vega didn't watch TV.
    He was pretty cool- i think :confused: :pac:

But he had to be reminded that there was this invention called Television and he needn't have mentioned he didn't watch TV. Which makes him a knob.

If I can't afford to buy a T.V does this make me cool?
    Only if you steal someone else's tele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hellm0 wrote: »

At other times it's fine but acoustic guitar at a party = Annoying gobsh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I'd say loads of people who both don't have tvs and who wankerishly play acoustic guitar at parties like utter, utter dickheads were about to post in this thread, talking about how they don't need a tv, but got put off when they read phasers post and realised that they are, in fact, completely despised by amost everybody at the party.

A word to those people; I've never met anybody who has any admiration for those dicks who ruin the atmosphere at a party by starting to play an acoustic guitar ,when we're all trying to drink ourselves silly and pull with women. What you are doing is basically saying "okay everybody, stop having fun for a minute while you listen to my attempt to create a good impression on all the women"...everybody kind of listens out of politeness but all the while they're looking at this person strumming the guitar with his eyes clothes and his long hair meticulously placed and they're thinking "I'd love to kick the living sh'it out of this goofy bastard"

you live in your own little world, don't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

The reason people say they don't have a TV is because they want to be cool and out of the box.
    Although those who say they don't watch Tv is totally misleading because even if they don't pay for a television service they watch some kind of television.

Evolute wrote: »
    The reason people say they don't have a TV is because they want to be cool and out of the box.
    Not true, I don't have a tv because I'm a tight bastard that won't pay the tv license and my tv was acting the prick. It's tormenting another boards.ie user now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I'm one of these "no tv" people. Everything I watch is via alternative sources.

The irony of it is I have a five year subscription to digiguide just so I can be happy in the knowledge that there is indeed nothing good on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've no TV and I remind people of that fact at every opportunity, oddly enough one of my monitors has a tuner so I'm probably liable for a license even though it doesnt work :mad:

Bambi wrote: »
    I've no TV and I remind people of that fact at every opportunity
    Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Because they insist on going "did ye see yer wan on Xcelebritydancingonanislandin24hours" every single ****ing morning and every single morning i reply "no, I don't have a telly"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

As (I think?) it hasn't been linked yet. (always seems to make an appearance on threads of this nature)

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28694

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

people that brag about not having a television are the same kind of people that take out an acoustic guitar at a party (i.e. ****)

Guess who can't play acoustic guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dionysus wrote: »

I would rather not be able to play than be the one that empties the room at a house party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

bonerm wrote: »
    The irony of it is I have a five year subscription to digiguide just so I can be happy in the knowledge that there is indeed nothing good on.
    Like the grandpa in The Lost Boys. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I have a 72" widescreen HD TV.

But I keep it in the box and don't watch it. Just to be ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

you live in your own little world, don't you.

You play the acoustic guitar at parties, don't you. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

You play the acoustic guitar at parties, don't you. :rolleyes:

No, but i don't have a raging hate on for people who can do something i can't.

Try putting that rage into something useful, instead of limply typing variations on the word wanker 18 times and then trying to construct a sentence around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

No, but i don't have a raging hate on for people who can do something i can't.

Try putting that rage into something useful, instead of limply typing variations on the word wanker 18 times and then trying to construct a sentence around it.

Ha, I can play the guitar! So your first sentence isn't correct.

Your second sentence seems so snide that its hard for me to believe that you're not one of those softly-spoken, matt-haired posers who whips out the guitar at a party and self-indulgently unloads hours of practice onto a group of people who then feel forced to pretend they give a fu'ck.
    In between songs they say something to the girls like "this song reminds me of emotions..." ....perhaps you don't fit into the description I've just given but in my opinion anybody who does is a joke. My opinion.

• Advertisement

Dionysus wrote: »
    I dunno, who?

Advertisement