Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No TV - the New Cool?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

genericguy wrote: »
    i've no tv and i'm a guitarist. i never entertain at parties though, i hate everybody waaaay too much for that.
    That's cool, as long as you've never said "I have no TV" as if it's something to be proud of..

eoindc wrote: »
    ps. I can also plug in usb keys and watch downloaded movies too

Can you really though? I thought TVs only played pictures and MP3 files?

Can it actually play movies? if so... what format does it support, out of curiosity (very curious, i've been waiting for a TV that can play movies via USB. Wont buy one, because my TV is my second monitor, but I was always curious as to when TVs would play films via USB).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭eoindc

Can you really though? I thought TVs only played pictures and MP3 files?

Can it actually play movies? if so... what format does it support, out of curiosity (very curious, i've been waiting for a TV that can play movies via USB. Wont buy one, because my TV is my second monitor, but I was always curious as to when TVs would play films via USB).

Yep, Philips Series 8000:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/televisions/8000-series-42-inch-full-hd-1080p-digital-tv-42pfl8404h_12/prd/ie/

(from above link) Supports: MP3, LPCM, WMA v2 up to v9.2, JPEG Still pictures, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, AVI, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, MPEG-Programme-stream PAL, WMV9/VC1

I watched 2012 on it last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I have NEVER encountered anyone who bragged about not having a TV.....

Im from the country though. Big TVs are the shít! In the same way that microwaves and dishwashers are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Agricola wrote: »
    Big TVs are the shít!

Ah no......they might be a little in-your-face and intrusive in a sitting room, but they're not ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Ah no......they might be a little in-your-face and intrusive in a sitting room, but they're not ****

eh, "the Sh*T" and "sh*t" are not the same.

recently bought a house, and made the bold statement "I'm not going to bother with a TV" hmm, I could be in trouble here.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

I think it's more a cost cutting thing than something to brag about. Hell if you can get it all for free why pay a tv license and extra for sky or ntl. Just one more thing you can cut to help make ends meet.

I can see the sky/ntl being slowly replaced by a media center computer in the near future with hard drives becoming exceptionally cheap (saw a 1.5tb hdd in easons for around 100 quid) and broadband becoming faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Having a pc hooked up to your tv is a much better idea. All the advantages of watching something on your pc but on a 40" screen

Especially when someone else has it. Great for putting "2 girls 1 cup" on in the middle of a party :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

phasers wrote: »
    That's cool, as long as you've never said "I have no TV" as if it's something to be proud of..
    But it is something to be proud of, we're no longer members of the great unwashed being told what to buy and how to apply it like everybody else.
    Your just jealous because you can't cut the apron strings, your a slave to the idiot box while we run free. You should try it for a month, then you'd be able to give a objective opinion. Right now your picking on the different kid because his not doing what your doing.

EL_Loco wrote: »
    eh, "the Sh*T" and "sh*t" are not the same.

Please tell me you're joking and "the ****" hasn't become acceptable as some ridiculous slang indication of good ???

I've heard "the dog's bo11ox" used, but "the ****" ???? I mean, since when is "****" good (apart from after a night on the beer) ? And that's only "a" **** !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Living with no TV is actually quite liberating. I've done it once or twice. But I certainly didn't talk about it.

But you have to need to have a computer to watch DVDs on.

ScumLord wrote: »
    But it is something to be proud of, we're no longer members of the great unwashed being told what to buy and how to apply it like everybody else.
    Your just jealous because you can't cut the apron strings, your a slave to the idiot box while we run free. You should try it for a month, then you'd be able to give a objective opinion. Right now your picking on the different kid because his not doing what your doing.
    I don't watch the ads.

I went for a few weeks without TV once, we forgot to pay the bill. it sucked (This was before the internet, it wouldn't bother me at all now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't watch the ads.

I went for a few weeks without TV once, we forgot to pay the bill. it sucked (This was before the internet, it wouldn't bother me at all now)

But what if we took your sex and the city boxset off you?

But what if we took your sex and the city boxset off you?
    Then I'd just have to take the ultimate step and take me own life

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Then I'd just have to take the ultimate step and take me own life
    What's that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

we are 7 years without a tv... will never have one in the house again... no point when everything is availbale online. TV is restrictive, you take what you are fed by the broadcasting companies... you can refine and select exactly what you would like to watch online, plus discover tons more related viewing, with no ads... its a no-brainer... tv sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Pretty much all tvs are widescreen now i'm afraid! I have 3 of them, some small penis i have then :D

FYP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭thatsa spicy

I'd say loads of people who both don't have tvs and who wankerishly play acoustic guitar at parties like utter, utter dickheads were about to post in this thread, talking about how they don't need a tv, but got put off when they read phasers post and realised that they are, in fact, completely despised by amost everybody at the party.

A word to those people; I've never met anybody who has any admiration for those dicks who ruin the atmosphere at a party by starting to play an acoustic guitar ,when we're all trying to drink ourselves silly and pull with women. What you are doing is basically saying "okay everybody, stop having fun for a minute while you listen to my attempt to create a good impression on all the women"...everybody kind of listens out of politeness but all the while they're looking at this person strumming the guitar with his eyes clothes and his long hair meticulously placed and they're thinking "I'd love to kick the living sh'it out of this goofy bastard"

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

"I'd love to kick the living sh'it out of this goofy bastard"

:D

ScumLord wrote: »
    What's that about?
    I just really love my Sex and the City box set

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I kinda got out of the habit of watching TV when I shared a house with a guy from Durkadurkistan and all that was ever on in the house was Star Trek or a satellite channel run by the Peoples Front of Durkadurkistan.

Im thinking of getting rid of my TV now because the only programme I watch is Family Guy and Im thinking it would probly be cheaper just to stop paying the licence and buy the DVD box sets.

TV has gone to shyte anyway. Its all repeats of celebrity nose picking and suchlike. Id rather watch Durkadurkistan TV than that shyte.

"I'd love to kick the living sh'it out of this goofy bastard"

Now I'm completely confused.....is "the living ****" different to "the ****" ? Is this "kicking the good out of him" ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

yeah, i'd often say 'na, i don't watch much on TV, I just download stuff'. I hate the ads, which is why i don't bother getting one, but I do need some sort of tele-visual stimulation. scarlett johansson doesn't look as nice in magazines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

There's a few tvs in my house but i never watch them. I just download whatever i want to watch or just stream it. There's fúck all on tv anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

There's fúck all on tv anyways.

but there is:

celebrities in a house, celebrities cooking, celebrities dancing, celebrities in a forest eating rats, celebrities managing a gah team. and 24, in which various people are shown talking on their mobile phone for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

eoindc wrote: »
    My 42" Philips Ambilight is internet TV capable, i can connect to the internet and watch whatever i want :D

ps. I can also plug in usb keys and watch downloaded movies too, or with my laptop plugged in via HDMI :cool:

That's actually pretty good. Good thinking by Philips.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

If im catching up on a tv show i'll watch it on the internet..for example I always miss the new series of top gear and I don't find out about until the last episode..but i'll watch the last one on the tv..its better quality and a bigger screen, in saying that I can see why people choose not to have one..being a student myself..

Oh and I can't stand guitar playing at parties..my mate does it..gob****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I've a 42" LG hooked up to my pc as a second monitor, no terrestrial arial or skybox in sight. Anything good enough to bother watching will be avaliable for download.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Please tell me you're joking and "the ****" hasn't become acceptable as some ridiculous slang indication of good ???

I've heard "the dog's bo11ox" used, but "the ****" ???? I mean, since when is "****" good (apart from after a night on the beer) ? And that's only "a" **** !

I don't know what to tell ya chief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

Probably been asked before but what do people face the furniture at, if they have no TV?

Advertisement