Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Be Too Pretty?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Sort of...

I know I'd rather a cute girl than an outright beauty, it's what I prefer. No idea why either. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I know I'd rather a cute girl than an outright beauty, it's what I prefer. No idea why either. :/

Necessity? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

pretty.gifugly.gif

I think there's a lot of truth in those. Average-looking guys assume that 'stunning' women are highly strung and only have time and space in their lives for other beautiful people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Speaking as a guy there can be many reasons why a girl can be too pretty for her own good (although there are, of course a lot of advantages!). Here are a few thoughts that can enter a guys head when considering should he go over and start chatting her up...

1. The girl already has a boyfriend. He's thinking, "wow, she's hot, she could have any guy she wants. Ergo, she, no doubt, already has".

2. She must always be hit on by drunks, knobheads, sleazebags etc, so if I just barge up there she (and everyone present) will just assume I fall into that category.

3. She's probably always been spoilt by men, getting her way based on her looks etc, Therefore, she's probably high maintenance/bitch etc. (From my own experience, this couldn't be further from the truth with my own female friends. Hoever that doesn't stop me (or any other guy) sub conciously thinking it when it comes to hot strangers)!

4. She knows she can have me (or any guy in the bar!). Therefore, the fact that she's not making a move on me (or at the very least, sending out some signals), she's obviously not interested.

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    had to google her to know who you were talking about...

Fake blonde, bony, droopy nose and horse teeth. Boring cliche.
    Had to google her as well. Google images with safesearch off? Yup, she's pretty cute. Not amazing, but definitely very nice. 8/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

dotsman wrote: »
    Speaking as a guy there can be many reasons why a girl can be too pretty for her own good (although there are, of course a lot of advantages!). Here are a few thoughts that can enter a guys head when considering should he go over and start chatting her up...

1. The girl already has a boyfriend. He's thinking, "wow, she's hot, she could have any guy she wants. Ergo, she, no doubt, already has".

2. She must always be hit on by drunks, knobheads, sleazebags etc, so if I just barge up there she (and everyone present) will just assume I fall into that category.

3. She's probably always been spoilt by men, getting her way based on her looks etc, Therefore, she's probably high maintenance/bitch etc. (From my own experience, this couldn't be further from the truth with my own female friends. Hoever that doesn't stop me (or any other guy) sub conciously thinking it when it comes to hot strangers)!

4. She knows she can have me (or any guy in the bar!). Therefore, the fact that she's not making a move on me (or at the very least, sending out some signals), she's obviously not interested.

I'd agree with all those points as well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

find it amazing that people get so hung up on looks.

beauty is only skin deep people, its whats on the instead that counts

no one is ever out of anyone else league and if you think you are, you have serious self esteem issues

Beauty might be skin deep, but that's only because you'd have to be weird to find vital organs attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

yeh some of the deadly looking girls on a night out are just out to tease the gawking men... but ther are nice lookin ones that are down to earth and quite sound and are willing to give the guy chance at least...but it depends on how many twats have went up to her be4 hand, then she just doesnt want any approaches after that...

but i dont believe in being too pretty... just go for it... u wont kno til u try...then if u dont try u regret it later on and its on ur mind... " i shouldve approached her" ...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

but i dont believe in being too pretty... just go for it... u wont kno til u try...then if u dont try u regret it later on and its on ur mind... " i shouldve approached her" ...

Andy, all are welcome to post in tLL, but the one thing that isn't welcome here is text speak. We'd appreciate it if you didn't continue using it when posting here.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Beauty might be skin deep, but that's only because you'd have to be weird to find vital organs attractive.

I can see it now. You see a girl at the bar, move up behind and prod her on the lower back.

"Oooooh, those have to be the firmest pair of kidnies I've ever felt. Are they real?":)

No such thing as being too pretty. The upsides are balanced with the downsides, just as the advantages and disadvantages of being average balance out.

For uglies like me, it's all disadvantage though!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    had to google her to know who you were talking about...

Fake blonde, bony, droopy nose and horse teeth. Boring cliche.

I don't think Clooney would be too nervous considering she's with Brian o Driscoll....

Back on topic, yes I do think people can be too pretty. I think it can be a hinderance to being taken seriously in the work place.
    *If you're pretty you can't be smart durrr...* And can you imagine how bitchy some of teh jealous wimmins would be???

The irony is indeed delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

Zaph wrote: »
    Andy, all are welcome to post in tLL, but the one thing that isn't welcome here is text speak. We'd appreciate it if you didn't continue using it when posting here.

Thanks

no bother. i ll keep it in mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

I think Amy Huberman is pretty, but plain. Being gorgeous can have its downsides-getting groped in nightclubs, bitchy comments etc. However i do believe that on occasions good looks can be benificial.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

beauty is only skin deep people, its whats on the instead that counts

I knew you didn't truly believe that! You couldn't even say on the 'inside'. Aha! Deep down you are as cynical and shallow as the rest of us!!! :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 smiley_colly

Hey Everyone,
    Thanks for the posts it's more or less what i was expecting to hear,
    We went out last night and a couple of girls that absolutly HATE Us came over just to tell us how much they hate us..Pfft..
    They turned around to my "Too Pretty" and told her she thinks shes great with her legs on her...:) what the hell is that!

The funny thing is that my friend could just laugh because she really dosnt see how gorgeous she is or that other people would have a problem with her because of how she looks!!

So I guess the Stunning Girl has it harder then the Average seen as she has to put up with creeps coming on to her the whole time and then these Bitches Being all jelous of her..Hmmmm..

but plain. Being gorgeous can have its downsides-getting groped in nightclubs, bitchy comments etc

tell me about it, god it's so bad I've begun staying in at weekends.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The pretty ones bite yer head off on approaching them. They're very territorial and vicious. And their vaginas have sharp pointy teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭MrDaithi

The pretty ones bite yer head off on approaching them. They're very territorial and vicious. And their vaginas have sharp pointy teeth.

Lol, but there is some truth in that, but can you imagine how many times they got approached with the sleaziest/lamest pick-up lines. True, some girls can be genuinely bitches and think the world of themselves, but most are just nice but will automatically behave/answer like that to avoid being annoyed. As a decent guy it is now up to you to show that you're not another one of those guys.

Yes, when a girl is very pretty it many guys will over think it in the way Parsley described it earlier. So, if you've made eye contact a couple times with such a pretty girl, just grow some balls, smile, and go say hi and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Neesa wrote: »
    There really are some women who think that they are so attractive that men are afraid to come onto them. For them I have three words:
    Sacha Baron Cohen.

If he's married to Isla Fisher then that kinda blows their argument right out of the water.

Sacha Baron Cohen is yummy and funny as fcuk. I'd marry him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 smiley_colly

If that girl made eye contact with guys she'd have them approach her. Sure they might theink they're not good enough but I guarantee you it's her behaviour playing a major part too.

If she's very tall it coudl be a factor also.

Shes extremely tall 5'8 plus heels...
    But shes so confident ,yet not cocky, Like if any guy comes up to her In a normal "Hi how are you" way shes perfectly polite n will talk etc.

It dosnt seem to bother her that shes not with anyone either(even close to xmas!)..Maybe thats a factor..shes so happy with herself that she might give off a Girlfriend vibe??

Oh..and most of her friends are guys aswell ..:)

I'll ask her out if you set us up....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Everyone presumes, pre-judges, builds up expectations.

Beautiful girl has a boyfriend, or if she doesnt - there's a reason for it.
    Same goes for guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Pretty is subjective!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Sort of...

Sense of security?

I have a truly beautiful friend who is almost never approached by the type of man she actually wants to meet, and is constantly belittled by insecure women. She's a lovely person.

I actually think that its quite possible that beauty makes for a nicer personality. Studies have shown that beautiful children recieve more praise and attention, more affirmation, that the more average child. We also respond well to pretty people in advertising and business.

So my question is this; Assuming all this positive attention fosters a positive outlook, and a secure self-image, and also assuming that these help contribute to a well balanced personality - can we assume that the good looking person has grown up to be nicer to be around than the less attractive person - who will have been on the receiving end of less positive interaction, and consequently, perhaps, be less liked and likeable?

Maybe, sometimes, beauty starts off skin deep, and sinks in deeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

topper75 wrote: »
    Boys might be dumb, but not totally dumb. Regardless of the tendancy to go for looks - we know that one day girls get old. And when they get old, we'll need to be entertained by conversations etc. Even in this increasingly looks-obsessed world, never underestimate the importance of personality. If a supermodel stunner has no 'craic' about her, it's not long before we are turning around to see who else is in the room.

Thats why you trade up to the newest model every ten years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The danger with being with someone extrememly attractive is that you can be reminded of how unattractive you are in contrast. After all when you put someone on a pedastal, you have no choice but to kneel right? I always prefer to be with someone a little uglier than I am.

Be with someone long enough, and you eventually dont see what they look like. Familaiarty breeds a kind of blindness, imo.

Girl interrupted - that is a very interesting theory, makes sense intellectually, but you could develop a dependency on this kind of praise and validation and then one day when you are no longer beautiful or the beauty just isnt enough, then swoosh... there goes your ego!

The danger with being with someone extrememly attractive is that you can be reminded of how unattractive you are in contrast. After all when you put someone on a pedastal, you have no choice but to kneel right? I always prefer to be with someone a little uglier than I am.

Be with someone long enough, and you eventually dont see what they look like. Familaiarty breeds a kind of blindness, imo.

Girl interrupted - that is a very interesting theory, makes sense intellectually, but you could develop a dependency on this kind of praise and validation and then one day when you are no longer beautiful or the beauty just isnt enough, then swoosh... there goes your ego!

I completely agree that if you like someones company enough it makes them attractive, no matter what they look like!

But my point about the beautiful is that they develop the inner aspects over time, so by the time the outer beauty fades, the inner beauty is developed. Just a theory though :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

But my point about the beautiful is that they develop the inner aspects over time, so by the time the outer beauty fades, the inner beauty is developed. Just a theory though :).

That is parallel to the idea behind beauty and the beast isnt it? That someone can become beautiful they by be loved into it?

That sounds like you are compromising your needs or something for the sake of an insecurity? Sure its easy to put someone on a pedestal, but its even easier to knock them off. And there's a nice place in the middle where ye find a middle ground, no need to settle or anything like it.

That is parallel to the idea behind beauty and the beast isnt it? That someone can become beautiful they by be loved into it?

I think of Shrek, actually! Shrek spends so much time enjoying being with Fiona that he doesn't care when she turns out to be an ogre too, he already thinks shes beautiful.

I love both those stories!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I think of Shrek, actually! Shrek spends so much time enjoying being with Fiona that he doesn't care when she turns out to be an ogre too, he already thinks shes beautiful.

I love both those stories!

Pity they are ideals that only make sense in a fantasy world. Unfortunatly in the real world looks matter. A 'stunner' can always develop a character but an ugly person will always be ugly.

Advertisement